Watches

jack D and coke

Looking to acquire a new watch and looking for advice on brands or brands to avoid! Nothing too crazy, probably a ?350 limit, I'm not as flush as some of you :(

Their are so many brands I have no idea what's good or not. The Armani ones look good but are they a good watch manufacturer? Am I better with a Citizen? Michael Kors? I have no idea!

I know it's more look than brand but if I'm splashing some dosh it may aswell be both!

Cheers.

I had a similar issue to you in that I knew I wanted a good watch, had a similar budget but didn't know where to start. I read through this thread and educated myself..... Some of the posts being very helpful especially in regard to the fashion brands. Your better choosing a watch from a reputable manufacturer and go try on a few before you commit. Try the watchshop.com and it'll give you an idea of what you can get within your price range.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PaulHartley10

I had a similar issue to you in that I knew I wanted a good watch, had a similar budget but didn't know where to start. I read through this thread and educated myself..... Some of the posts being very helpful especially in regard to the fashion brands. Your better choosing a watch from a reputable manufacturer and go try on a few before you commit. Try the watchshop.com and it'll give you an idea of what you can get within your price range.

I was having a look in a couple of shops yesterday and was recommended a Citizen Eco Drive. Where do they stand in the ladder?

I've been told to go for a Seiko but it's not my style.

I was having a look in a couple of shops yesterday and was recommended a Citizen Eco Drive. Where do they stand in the ladder?

If you can't find a style for you within the Seiko range then there isn't a style for you to find. They have a vast range encompassing every imaginable 'genre'. It defies all reasonable logic just how many different styles and models there are. Their operation must be enormous in order to support the research & development, tooling, production and planning, marketing and distribution of them all.

Seiko is not a 'cheap as chips' maker. They do have many cheap and cheerful models but they occupy every price point through to ?2k-?3k. The one annoying thing is that the vast majority of the better and most desirable watches is strictly domestic market only. 'JDM' (Japanese domestic market) as it's referred to. That being the likes of the Grand Seiko models and the Prospex range which includes the likes of the Marinemaster 300 (MM300), various 'Tuna' style watches, Sumos, Samurai, Shogun divers. They are still available to buy but they have to be imported from Japan which involves a wait and a hefty import charge.

The Astron range is available over here. Those occupy the very top of the range but they seem extremely overpriced for what they are... a Solar charged watch. Mind you they are also GPS empowered and I suppose there is a fair bit of technology in them.

But if you think a Seiko isn't a smart enough watch or a non-luxury brand then that would be incorrect. You wont see too many people rocking a Grand Seiko and anyone who knows their watches would be mightily jealous if they saw it.

Edited by Victorian

In that case I suggest you go for a Michael kors.

If you can't find a style for you within the Seiko range then there isn't a style for you to find. They have a vast range encompassing every imaginable 'genre'. It defies all reasonable logic just how many different styles and models there are. Their operation must be enormous in order to support the research & development, tooling, production and planning, marketing and distribution of them all.

Seiko is not a 'cheap as chips' maker. They do have many cheap and cheerful models but they occupy every price point through to ?2k-?3k. The one annoying thing is that the vast majority of the better and most desirable watches is strictly domestic market only. 'JDM' (Japanese domestic market) as it's referred to. That being the likes of the Grand Seiko models and the Prospex range which includes the likes of the Marinemaster 300 (MM300), various 'Tuna' style watches, Sumos, Samurai, Shogun divers. They are still available to buy but they have to be imported from Japan which involves a wait and a hefty import charge.

The Astron range is available over here. Those occupy the very top of the range but they seem extremely overpriced for what they are... a Solar charged watch. Mind you they are also GPS empowered and I suppose there is a fair bit of technology in them.

But if you think a Seiko isn't a smart enough watch or a non-luxury brand then that would be incorrect. You wont see too many people rocking a Grand Seiko and anyone who knows their watches would be mightily jealous if they saw it.

This is my favourite thread.. been reading it for months..

I've been after a watch with no batteries for a while.. I have a Gshock, however battery ran out and its 70 quid to rpelace as it needs to be pressure tested. Same with my Rotary as its garaunteed water resistant. (rotary watches are actually waterproof as opposed to just splash resistant, at least thats what the booklet says!)

Anyway, I read the quoted post earlier and it got me thinking about the Japanese Domestic Market, so I googled it and found this site...

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/

Can't remember if its been mentioned on here yet.. Does anyone have any experience of it? Is it legit or a face site for dodgy fakes or knock offs?

I'd really like a Hamilton or Christopher Ward. Just not got the readies now..

Currently sporting a 20quid Casio which does the job and I won't be too bothered if I slip and break it in the hills etc..

Also hankering after a Longines, Breitling or Omega... Yes its partly about the name, but its also about the fact I'd know whats on my wrist even if others couldn't give a monkeys about it...

I think G-shocks are great. Got a few I've had for years and the batteries are fine as long as you leave them on the window ledge to get plenty of sunshine.

If I was going to buy a cheaper watch (say <?500) I'd get a vintage gold, manual wind Omega or Tudor or something. Vintage watches are cool. Ask Tazio for some advice. He knows about this stuff and could point you in the right direction.

PaulHartley10

I've had a look at the Seiko's and the ones within my price range the majority have small faces. I like a watch with a big face. If I did have a few grand to spare I would certainly get myself a Grand Seiko!

I think I'll go for a Citizen as I've been told Armani's aren't great quality! I'm gonna browse a couple of more shops before deciding!

Cheers.

Vintage watches are indeed cool. I've bought and sold many over the past few years. It's a nice sub-section of watch collection to get involved in. As well as more familiar quartz or automatic watches, there are also pre-quartz electronics. Battery powered but very different to quartz movements. They have a smoothly sweeping second hand like a mechanical and emit a faint humming noise from the tuning fork component in the movement. The most common ones to be found are Omegas and the original Bulova Accutrons.

Most vintage dress watches are small. That's how watches were in years past. If you're going to put some decent money into vintage watches then first get it straight in you mind about whether or not you can live with the size of watch you're buying. Also try to imagine a watch you see with a nice new strap or bracelet. Ignore the strap it's on and concentrate on the staps you can put on it.

You can pick up tons of vintage Omega, Longines, Tissot, Rado, Tudor, Eterna, etc for sensible prices. There are thousands of other vintage pieces outwith the more recognised names. Then there are various pricier vintages from the likes of Heuer and Breitling. A whole swathe of obscurely named Valjoux chronographs too.

If you have the time and patience it's a very intetesting thing to get into.

Vintage watches are indeed cool. I've bought and sold many over the past few years. It's a nice sub-section of watch collection to get involved in. As well as more familiar quartz or automatic watches, there are also pre-quartz electronics. Battery powered but very different to quartz movements. They have a smoothly sweeping second hand like a mechanical and emit a faint humming noise from the tuning fork component in the movement. The most common ones to be found are Omegas and the original Bulova Accutrons.

Most vintage dress watches are small. That's how watches were in years past. If you're going to put some decent money into vintage watches then first get it straight in you mind about whether or not you can live with the size of watch you're buying. Also try to imagine a watch you see with a nice new strap or bracelet. Ignore the strap it's on and concentrate on the staps you can put on it.

You can pick up tons of vintage Omega, Longines, Tissot, Rado, Tudor, Eterna, etc for sensible prices. There are thousands of other vintage pieces outwith the more recognised names. Then there are various pricier vintages from the likes of Heuer and Breitling. A whole swathe of obscurely named Valjoux chronographs too.

If you have the time and patience it's a very intetesting thing to get into.

Indeed. I go for the quirkier end of the market as the movements are often the same. I have a real fondness for Favre Leuba as they are interesting in that they made their own mechanisms and are one of the oldest manufacturers in the world dating back to the early 1700's. You can pick up cheap ones from India but a lot have had face repaints in horrible colours. I have a fantastic yellow faced one that I picked up for around ?30 but the guy who painted the detail around the date must have had a hangover the day he did it as the square isn't. I also have a couple of good condition untouched ones that are lovely. The Seachief is comparable to a modern watch in size. The really desirable ones are the ones with the Twin-Power movements that give 48 hours on one winding.

Roamer are also an interesting manufacturer that made some lovely watches. I have a nice 1950's one but it is in need of a service as it is running fast by around 10 minutes a day. There are lots of these old Swiss companies that sadly got wiped out when the quartz revolution happened in the 70's.

My next target is a nice Hamilton but they seem to have gone up in price recently for some reason.

Captain_Peacock

My next target is a nice Hamilton but they seem to have gone up in price recently for some reason.

Which one do you have your eye on Tazio?

Indeed. I go for the quirkier end of the market as the movements are often the same. I have a real fondness for Favre Leuba as they are interesting in that they made their own mechanisms and are one of the oldest manufacturers in the world dating back to the early 1700's. You can pick up cheap ones from India but a lot have had face repaints in horrible colours. I have a fantastic yellow faced one that I picked up for around ?30 but the guy who painted the detail around the date must have had a hangover the day he did it as the square isn't. I also have a couple of good condition untouched ones that are lovely. The Seachief is comparable to a modern watch in size. The really desirable ones are the ones with the Twin-Power movements that give 48 hours on one winding.

Roamer are also an interesting manufacturer that made some lovely watches. I have a nice 1950's one but it is in need of a service as it is running fast by around 10 minutes a day. There are lots of these old Swiss companies that sadly got wiped out when the quartz revolution happened in the 70's.

I remember you talking about your Favre Luebas and Roamers earlier in the thread. It sounds like a nice collection of them you have going.

There's all sorts of different ways to build collections. As well as 60s and 70s Swiss, a really good collection of Russians can be put together for not very much. Collecting older Japanese (Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Casio) will not break the bank and there are thousands of them out there.

Have you had a look at the likes of HMT, Orient and Ricoh? Cheap as chips but some very nice pieces to be seen.

Meant to add... I've just added this to the stable. An Aramar Arctic Ocean (c2824-2). Basically a Steinhart with the usual ETA2824. There weren't very many of these made and I never thought I would see one come for sale on the second hand market so quickly.

aramar.jpg

Have you had a look at the likes of HMT, Orient and Ricoh? Cheap as chips but some very nice pieces to be seen.

I've got a nice HMT I picked up recently. It's probably an early 70's Pilot model and is a very interesting shape, and rather nicely keeps perfect time.

Which one do you have your eye on Tazio?

Not sure yet, I haven't done any research but they seem highly regarded and I've seen a few nice ones recently.

Like the Yellow Hands Victorian, has a strong Tudor look (which isn't a bad thing imo).

Yep. Typical Steinhart 'homaging'. They aren't shy.

I think it's more of an orange actually. Supposed to add an aged / vintage lume look.

I've got a nice HMT I picked up recently. It's probably an early 70's Pilot model and is a very interesting shape, and rather nicely keeps perfect time.

Nice. HMTs seem to be very popular anyway and cost very little in the scheme of things.

Meant to add... I've just added this to the stable. An Aramar Arctic Ocean (c2824-2). Basically a Steinhart with the usual ETA2824. There weren't very many of these made and I never thought I would see one come for sale on the second hand market so quickly.

aramar.jpg

Nice watch, I was just looking at the Steinhart Ocean 1, but ended up going for a Chrisopher Ward C60 in stead. Both nice watches, almost a toss of a coin in the end, but just ended up going for C60.

That's really nice, Victorian.

As someone said, very Tudor like.

Talking of which, surprised nobody on here has this given the colour of the bezel.

EyIuaXe.jpg

I'm sure you will be pleased with the Christopher Ward. They are highly regarded but I've never seen one myself.

That's the Black Bay Sten, as you no doubt know already. It was one on the sort list after I sold my Breitling. It's a very distinctive design that sets itself apart from pretty much everything else, other than the various 'modded' watches that replicate it and one or two obvious homages. I had a Seiko that was Black Bay modded and I also had a cheapo Chinese made homage by a maker named Tiger Concept.

Edited by Victorian

The new one in blue is also really nice.

34NrTRA.jpg

Where about do you guys shop for second hand vintage watches? eBay?

Edited by Sten Guns

The Pelagos does it for me.

47A61972-478C-4882-BBA9-3BC8FB857DDA-5248-00000224956A5E50.jpg

Beautiful watch.

Do they have an AR coating on the sapphire crystal? (Looks like it from the image?)

One of the things I dislike about the Submariner is how reflective it is.

dP1iywp.png

I love the AR coating on my Planet Ocean and a lot of people comment how it looks like they could touch the dial.

Not sure I could deal with a really reflective watch now.

Also like the fact the Pelagos is 42mm compared to the 40mm sub. The price helps too I guess. :lol:

Not sure yet, I haven't done any research but they seem highly regarded and I've seen a few nice ones recently.

Got myself a Hamilton pilot auto for my 30th, delighted with it. Was guided by some very helpful posts on this thread.

Really didn't want to go down the fashion route like aramani or Hugo boss. Managed to get a good deal from the same place i bought her engagement ring from.

Captain_Peacock

Got myself a Hamilton pilot auto for my 30th, delighted with it. Was guided by some very helpful posts on this thread.

Really didn't want to go down the fashion route like aramani or Hugo boss. Managed to get a good deal from the same place i bought her engagement ring from.

Well done, proper watch.

Star_of_Edina

I recently celebrated my 40th and have always wanted a Rolex I don't like the big flash thing just nice and simple, I ended up getting a 1974 immaculate condition with original recipe box and paper work for ?1100, two weeks ago I eventually took it in to get the link added back into it they asked if I wanted it valued free of charge yeah why not when I returned 2 days later to collect it they offered ?2000 for it and said I should insure it for ?3500 epyradur.jpg

Nice buy. Nice watch.

Has it been serviced lately?

Think an Oyster Perpetual is ?3600 new, hence the insurance valuation.

Star_of_Edina

Yes has a service record with it every 2 year it's due next year plan to keep it up, it was bought in Liverpool originally for ?650 in 1974

If I'm to dip in to the second hand market for a watch that's more a dress watch I think I'd go for one of these.

YXuGAm8.jpg

If I'm to dip in to the second hand market for a watch that's more a dress watch I think I'd go for one of these.

YXuGAm8.jpg

A tag Monza! I had the chance to buy one of these with a black dial for eight hundred quid and I turned it down. I've regretted that decision ever since.

That's a Monza. Heuer vintages are tremendous but you have to be careful what you're buying because TAG Heuer have re-issued a number of watches with only the 'Heuer' logo. If you're dead set on buying an original vintage Heuer watch like a Carrera, Monaco, Monza, Autavia, Silverstone, etc then first check thoroughly that the item isn't a modern re-issue. TAG Heuer have certainly re-issued Heuer badged Silverstones, Carreras and Monacos.

How many watches do you have to have before it can realistically be called a collection? I think today may have pushed me over the edge towards it.

How many watches do you have to have before it can realistically be called a collection? I think today may have pushed me over the edge towards it.

I think a true 'collection' is a group that are... collected. Implying that they are kept for a significant duration of time.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there are two main types of collectors. Collectors and flippers. There are those who buy & collect and never sell any of them on. They build a large collection over time. Flippers tend to have smaller 'collections' and periodically sell in order to buy. They move from watch to watch and will only retain them for a certain amount of time before viewing them merely as frozen funds that could be made liquid in order to buy an even better one.

I am a flipper. :(

Edited by Victorian

Captain_Peacock

What did you pick up Tazio?

What did you pick up Tazio?

A couple of old Seiko automatics. One a nice late sixties one by the look of it and the other a very period seventies model. Eight sided case with a round face in the middle. Not my usual style but quite nice in a kitsch kind of way.

I think a true 'collection' is a group that are... collected. Implying that they are kept for a significant duration of time.

I am a flipper. :(

Not sure there would be much point in selling any of mine so they must be a collection.

Captain_Peacock

A couple of old Seiko automatics. One a nice late sixties one by the look of it and the other a very period seventies model. Eight sided case with a round face in the middle. Not my usual style but quite nice in a kitsch kind of way.

Sounds interesting, do you have photos?

Carl Weathers

I'd quite like to get an automatic submariner style watch. Any recommendations for around ?1k? I have puny wrists so icouldn't be massive.

I seen a Tag Aqua racer which looks pretty cool:

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/tag-heuer-aquaracer-automatic-wan2111-ba0822.html

Just looking for ideas before I eventually pull the trigger. I'll have to love it first!

There are a couple of vintage Seiko automatics I plan to snag at some point. Both are routinely seen on the second hand market so there's no rush but I've never gotten around to them yet.

1. A 6139 'Pepsi Pogue' chronograph of some variant or other. Nicknamed after Col. William Pogue of NASA who wore one on at least one Apollo or Skylab mission.

2. A 6138 'Bullhead' chronograph (brown dial). Just sublime.

I'd quite like to get an automatic submariner style watch. Any recommendations for around ?1k? I have puny wrists so icouldn't be massive.

http://www.iconicwat...111-ba0822.html

Just looking for ideas before I eventually pull the trigger. I'll have to love it first!

Longines Hydroconquest.

Captain_Peacock

http://www.iconicwat...111-ba0822.html

Sinn Ezm3 41mm http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/watches/special-forces-watches/sinn-einsatzzeitmesser-3-steel/%28ezm-3%29/

It's the re-issued Monza that Tag Heuer made around the early 2000's that I'd probably want to be honest.

It's a little larger than the original and think it nicer tbh. Also like the fact it's a lot newer than buying an original. But still has that 'look'.

Ideally I'd get the Calibre 36 one but they are a lot more expensive.

Edited by Sten Guns

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/tag-heuer-aquaracer-automatic-wan2111-ba0822.html

Think this is a good deal if you can stretch your budget a little above that ?1k.

You may even get them down a few quid too.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20Heuer/Aquaracer/CAF7012-BA0815/9076/item/37874