Watches

jack D and coke

Benn looking at the watch hut and the watch shop online, both get good reviews and have a huge selection. Also seem much cheaper than the high street shops.

Another good looking one is made by Jorge Gray, another American brand - he makes a Barack Obama special edition which the big man wears himself!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain_Peacock

Yeah I think Hamilton have a bit more about them as brand,

Thanks for the advice chaps

A phrase I often here is "buy the watch not the brand" & I agree with that pretty much.

I don't know which Jorge Gray watch you were looking at but I had a quick look through the ones on their website and couldn't see one I'd take over the Hamilton Pilot watch you posted earlier.

Truth is you should buy the watch you like best.

I've been back and forth about what watch to get now for the past 6 months+, my latest thinking is to go for the IWC Portofino Chronograph, tried it on a few weeks back and really liked it, but may delay the decision for another month or two just to make sure, as I have changed my mind a couple of times since I made my mind up I was going to spend that kind of money on watch.

When I tried on the chronograph it was actually another watch I went in to try on initially, but that caught my eye, so just want to make sure I'm happy with it before spending that kind of money.

Definitely doing the right thing.

I started looking 8 months before I turned 30.

Changed my mind a few times before finally choosing.

Read this thread with interest as off to vegas next month and plan is to invest in a new watch.

Keep changing my mind. Originally was looking at a Cartier Tank or a Calibre de Cartier now on to a Panerai as my prefered choice. Likely will change mind again.

Tommy Wiseau

What would you boys use to best clean a leather watch strap and get it smelling nice and fresh? I've not got anything fancy, a ?150 job I've had for a good few years, but the strap could do with a clean.

Sten.

Not Rolexed up yet I'm afraid. I'm going to sell a couple to fund one. It will be an Explorer II Polar I think.

Hamilton.

Really good choice at the price point. I've had a few and currently have a Pan-Europ Valjoux chrono. A really classy but big piece. Not too bling but has presence.

Wiseau.

Replace it. Tell us what it is and get suggestions. The world is your oyster for straps. Hundreds of great options.

Cosa.

I'm stumped as to how you so dislike modern Subs and Sea Dwellers and the like. Are you sure it isn't just brand stigma that's driving your thoughts?

Tommy Wiseau

Sten.

Not Rolexed up yet I'm afraid. I'm going to sell a couple to fund one. It will be an Explorer II Polar I think.

Hamilton.

Really good choice at the price point. I've had a few and currently have a Pan-Europ Valjoux chrono. A really classy but big piece. Not too bling but has presence.

Wiseau.

Replace it. Tell us what it is and get suggestions. The world is your oyster for straps. Hundreds of great options.

Cheers, Vic, but it's not the kind of watch where I can look for a new strap and change it up, I'm afraid. It's a Diesel one I got years back, and the watch face is built into the strap. I have had it replaced before but it has to be a like-for-like replacement from Diesel. Just wondered if there was a decent way I could maintain the strap I have without the hassle of taking it in to the shop (not that it's a massive hassle, but I like doing these things myself).

Definitely need a new one at some point relatively soon, but not quite ready to spend big bucks just yet while I'm saving up for a mortgage deposit :lol:

Ah, integrated straps. Hate em. That's a pity. I think there will be a myriad threads on the web re best proceedures for cleaning straps. A quick search will bring up forum threads and the like.

TheMaganator

Cheers, Vic, but it's not the kind of watch where I can look for a new strap and change it up, I'm afraid. It's a Diesel one I got years back, and the watch face is built into the strap. I have had it replaced before but it has to be a like-for-like replacement from Diesel. Just wondered if there was a decent way I could maintain the strap I have without the hassle of taking it in to the shop (not that it's a massive hassle, but I like doing these things myself).

Definitely need a new one at some point relatively soon, but not quite ready to spend big bucks just yet while I'm saving up for a mortgage deposit :lol:

I think using Cape Cod cloth is your best bet.

I'm with V above - integrated straps are a nightmare!

TheMaganator

Hamilton.

Really good choice at the price point. I've had a few and currently have a Pan-Europ Valjoux chrono. A really classy but big piece.

Is that one of the re-releases?

Tommy Wiseau

Cheers both.

It's never bothered me before, but it's definitely a watch that was made for the younger man I was then (I think I was about 22/23 when I got it, so it's lasted a good few years) in terms of its style, and the integrated strap is definitely a part of that.

Yes a re-issue from a few years ago. Ir's got a mammoth power reserve which is useful for rotational wear. Quite retro with it's c7750 and even a date pin pusher to boot.

Looks like Harry has the XL 42mm. William has an Omega SMP.

Whilst I realise it's not of the calibre of a lot of watches discussed on this thread, to someone on a budget, what's the consensus on this

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9126686.htm?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Seems like a decent watch for the price and looks good IMO but I'm no expert.

Birthday coming up next month....

The stated RRP for that seems much too high. You can get a used Sumo for that. But 100 blabs is decent enough for it. Seiko is the greatest watch maker of them all in many ways.

My brother got me a Seiko as a gift for being best man at his wedding last week and I love it. If you like the watch then buy it. You don't have to pay thousands for a decent watch.

Humblerogue

Full service for a date just or professional model in steel will set you back about ?450.00, this does include fully stripping down the movement, rebuilding the watch from scratch and re finishing the case and bracelet.

jack D and coke
Full service for a date just or professional model in steel will set you back about ?450.00, this does include fully stripping down the movement, rebuilding the watch from scratch and re finishing the case and bracelet.

Wow!! Bit more than I thought then. It's my cousins and he's never had it serviced since he bought it about 8-9 years ago.

I'll give him the bad news then :laugh:

Jimmy McNulty

Saw some nice Omegas at the weekend when shopping in Toronto. Had kids with me so didn't try any on. But told the wife that my next bog promotion (or 50th birthday, whatever comes first) will see me buying one.

Captain_Peacock

What would you boys use to best clean a leather watch strap and get it smelling nice and fresh? I've not got anything fancy, a ?150 job I've had for a good few years, but the strap could do with a clean.

TheMaganator if I read it right Tommy's watch strap is made of leather, isn't the cape cop cloth only good for metallic parts?

TheMaganator

TheMaganator if I read it right Tommy's watch strap is made of leather, isn't the cape cop cloth only good for metallic parts?

You are quite right. I didn't read TW's post properly.

Surely only a metal strap can be integrated though? I can't think of many integrated leather straps. Just the early Omega Dynamic

D67A0625-5E46-4A15-B956-1FA8F5601F47_zps8suqtdpz.jpg

D899E2C8-817B-4751-A8BF-8C2715D9C06C_zps8yccayem.jpg

Captain_Peacock

You are quite right. I didn't read TW's post properly.

Surely only a metal strap can be integrated though? I can't think of many integrated leather straps. Just the early Omega Dynamic

No bother, I had visions of Tommy scuffing his leather strap to buggery with a cape cod cloth.

I'm not a big fan of integrated straps either,

Tommy Wiseau can you post a link to your watch or photos of the case / strap?

Disser Pointon

Got my eye on a second hand Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 6, any good? Looks lovely and going for just over ?1400.

Got my eye on a second hand Tag Grand Carrera Calibre 6, any good? Looks lovely and going for just over ?1400.

I suppose it depends on the age and condition of the watch?

Do you have a link to it or the exact model number to compare prices of a brand new one?

I googled "Grand Carerra Calibre 6" and if it's this then it can be had brand new for not much more.

But then it's maybe not that one......

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-6-heritage-automatic-was2110-ba0732.html

Edited by Sten Guns

Disser Pointon

I suppose it depends on the age and condition of the watch?

Do you have a link to it or the exact model number to compare prices of a brand new one?

It's in mint condition, tried it on in the shop, didn't ask how old it was but the cheapest I can find online is ?2400. Also like the look of a couple of the Rado watches.

Heading to Prague in October might hold off to check Duty Free or prices over there.

http://www.kcwatches.co.uk/grand-carrera-calibre-6-rs-automatic-watch-87-c.asp

Not the one you linked to sten this is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay mate.

Looks like the deal you're been offered is half price.

Hard to grumble at that if the watch is mint?

A few others on here are far more knowledgable than me.

Seymour M Hersh

Christ that's expensive. Last time I got my sub by done it was about ?180. By Laings as well but perhaps I did not get the re finishing bit done.

Nice one Vic.

Majorly jealous. Is that your first Rolex?

It's my mission to own the 116610LV one day. Won't be everyone's cup of tea on this site for obvious reasons but I'm smitten.

fPjSVVW.png

I bought from Iconic Watches again. Not for me though. Again, great service at a great price. Got the misses a wee Tag Heuer Aquaracer. Looks tiny compared to mine. :lol:

GFjHJ3b.jpg

Thanks Sten. No I had a vintage Oysterdate a while back. I sold it and had no end of hassle as a result. They are incredibly sought after overseas (esp. far east) and I had endless overseas enquiries, as well as at least two people who bought it at full asking price, despite it clearly being listed as UK domestic only. I had to cancel about three sales on it and was out about ?300 in fees at one stage before I got the credits in.

LVs are superb looking watches but I'm the same as you in being unlikely to get used to the colour of it.

Disser Pointon

Picked up a Tag Heur Link automatic chronograph from Laings. It was an end of line reduced from ?3150 to ?1500 which seemed to good a deal to miss.

Picked up a Tag Heur Link automatic chronograph from Laings. It was an end of line reduced from ?3150 to ?1500 which seemed to good a deal to miss.

Which model is it? Can we see a photo please?

loveofthegame

Got this as a wedding gift from the wife... so in love with it.... and her I guess... but especially it

81hXi2-dZ-L._UX522_.jpg

Nice Link. Seems like a really good deal that.

I like those modern F1s as well. I've had a couple of modern F1s. The Grande Date Alarm and the Grande Date GULF oils edition. The Gulf is a watch I should never have sold. The modern F1 range are much more 'grown up' than the toyish vintage F1s of the 1980s. The newer ones have real heft and weight about them. They don't get much love as they tick the two major haters' check boxes.... quartz movements and being TAG Heuer. I think they're really nice.

Davosa make quite a range but their divers seem to be the best. They use the old workhorse Swiss movement, the ubiquitous ETA2824-2. The Ternos is very much in the Sub genre and I think it also nods towards the Longines Hydroconquest.

PaulHartley10

Looking to acquire a new watch and looking for advice on brands or brands to avoid! Nothing too crazy, probably a ?350 limit, I'm not as flush as some of you :(

Their are so many brands I have no idea what's good or not. The Armani ones look good but are they a good watch manufacturer? Am I better with a Citizen? Michael Kors? I have no idea!

I know it's more look than brand but if I'm splashing some dosh it may aswell be both!

Cheers.