Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain_Peacock

Col Robert Neville MD congratulations on deciphering my Erdinger fuled ramble last night & for responding with such grace. I was trying to say that it's hard for me to decide what the SInn 857 truly is, it has the wetsuit extension you would associate with a dive watch & also bi directional bezel which you would find on a pilots watch. I think if you asked most people they'd agree with you that it's more of a pilot than a dive watch.

Dexter aplogies, my mistake.

Sten Guns I don't think you're far off the mark, not sure what discount you might be able to agree with the retailers but a search of the forums I posted earlier should give you a decent target to aim at.

JimmyJambo clearly everything in moderation is the phrase when it comes to future visits to the German Market.

Col Robert Neville MD congratulations on deciphering my Erdinger fuled ramble last night & for responding with such grace. I was trying to say that it's hard for me to decide what the SInn 857 truly is, it has the wetsuit extension you would associate with a dive watch & also bi directional bezel which you would find on a pilots watch. I think if you asked most people they'd agree with you that it's more of a pilot than a dive watch.

Dexter aplogies, my mistake.

Sten Guns I don't think you're far off the mark, not sure what discount you might be able to agree with the retailers but a search of the forums I posted earlier should give you a decent target to aim at.

JimmyJambo clearly everything in moderation is the phrase when it comes to future visits to the German Market.

:lol: will have to give if a go :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

There was some interest earlier in the Rolex date / no date sub. The article in the link below may be of interest to some considering the watch, it details the watches history and also average new / used prices over the last decade.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-submariner-watch-earned-place/

Rolex-submariner-16610-watch-2.jpg

Thanks for the link. Abogtowatch is a great site

Captain_Peacock

Thanks for the link. Abogtowatch is a great site

A couple of things struck me about the article, the watch was originally pitched at price equal to a fortnight's wage for an average man (VW of the watch world) & Hans Wilsdorf knew how to market a product.

I realise that most believe that Rolex isn't the absolute pinacle when it comes to horology but the VW analogy was a surprise to me. I think it also demonstrates the relative increase of watch costs over time.

There was some interest earlier in the Rolex date / no date sub. The article in the link below may be of interest to some considering the watch, it details the watches history and also average new / used prices over the last decade.

http://www.ablogtowa...h-earned-place/

Rolex-submariner-16610-watch-2.jpg

Interesting graph. It certainly backs up the belief that certain Submariners ( and some other Rolex models ) will significantly appreciate in value over time, once they first become of a certain age / vintage. There will normally be a period of 5-10 from new when the value will depreciate. The condition, both working and cosmetic, of the watch has to be tip-top of course. If someone is having their Sub serviced every year then it will cease to appreciate in value in real terms. They are very expensive to service.

Those who can do their own servicing and repairs at a huge advantage. Not just with Rolex of course but with most other watches. There must be an absolute fortune to be made by hoovering up non runners and getting them going but it takes a mind numbing degree of knowledge and skill. I envy people with that sort of ability.

Nice CW there.

Nice. Is that the quartz?

Thanks - No, it's an automatic. Only 100 made. I've got number 30. It was billed as a sports watch but I think it's a bit dressier.

Thanks - No, it's an automatic. Only 100 made. I've got number 30. It was billed as a sports watch but I think it's a bit dressier.

It looks like one of the dressier ones, whose name I can't remember. They have a quartz version which, at about ?180, looks incredible value.

Seymour M Hersh

Don't think so? States RRP ?5700 on the link?

Was in the Rolex shop in Old Bond Street (London) yesterday and asked what a subby currently is ?8,950.

Was in the Rolex shop in Old Bond Street (London) yesterday and asked what a subby currently is ?8,950.

Not for the steel one it's not.

It's between 5.2 and 5.7.

That's perhaps the price of one with gold?

See link to recent tweet from a jewellers in Essex

They've given the price as ?5650

Edited by Sten Guns

Does Bi-metal mean steel and gold together on the bracelet?

I think those watches look a bit tacky and Del Boy Trotter if i'm being honest.

I think the plain steel Rolex Daytona looks amazing but they are over 8k these days.

Been dipping in and out of this thread for its duration...

Thought I'd put my tuppence worth in..

I'd always aspired to a Tag.. However have found myself being repelled by anything advertised by Formula 1, Leonardo di Caprio, Films in general, Yacht Racing etc.. I'm sure you get the drift..

I first became aware of Christopher Ward and Hamilton on this thread.

I've been looking through various websites and have now settled on what I'm treating myself to for my 40th next August...

It'll be automatic, kinetic, eco-drive (ie no more batteries) waterproof, looks wise between a classy dressy style and a sport type model... Plain face, (ie not a chronograph, too crowded..) black dial preferrred..

Leather or classy rubber/nylon strap. NOT a bracelet.

Apart from CW and HAmilton I've also seen Swiss Army Victorinox models at this price range and fitting my description..

I've got a G-Shock and a really nice Rotary but the battieries have gone (Rotary battery lasted just over 2 years! Fuming!) and because they need pressure testing the cost of replacing the batteries is over ?60 each.

Price wise 400-800 pounds..

Far better to splash out on a treat that'll last IMO..

(Also getting a motorbike but sshh.. don't tell the wife!)

For those JKBers that enjoy watches but are on a tighter budget ? you can get these Seiko automatic watches for ?45 on amazon.co.uk.

This truly is a steal and I would recommend it for anyone who has previously only used quartz (battery powered watches where the second hand ?ticks?, rather than ?sweeps?). That would like an easy introduction into the world of the automatic watch (powered by the movement of the watch, rather than a battery - in pretty simplistic terms)

http://www.amazon.co...radisplay0bb-21

I haven't owned a watch in about 15 years probably due to having a mobile phone all the time. Now that it's unfashionable to wear a wrist watch iv'e decided to get one, being a student means I can't be too picky. However, this has been a great help, ordered it yesterday, so thanks for the tip :)

Captain_Peacock

I haven't owned a watch in about 15 years probably due to having a mobile phone all the time. Now that it's unfashionable to wear a wrist watch iv'e decided to get one, being a student means I can't be too picky. However, this has been a great help, ordered it yesterday, so thanks for the tip :)

I've had the SNZG11J1 Seiko series 5 for a couple of years now and it's been great value, wear it to play 5 a side, water resistance is fine to swim with. Been rock solid so far, I did change the strap to a silicone one as I wasn't keen on the fabric one. On the Seiko front for some watches with Japanese movements rather than Korean built ones are more desirable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Sports-Automatic-Gents-SNZG11J1/dp/B003BZ33NM/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Seymour M Hersh

Does Bi-metal mean steel and gold together on the bracelet?

I think those watches look a bit tacky and Del Boy Trotter if i'm being honest.

I think the plain steel Rolex Daytona looks amazing but they are over 8k these days.

You plonker Rodney! :smiliz19:

Honestly does not look in any way tacky.

I ordered one off the back of this thread. Great watch, youll love it!

You plonker Rodney! :smiliz19:

Honestly does not look in any way tacky.

I think I'm not a fan as when I was a kid and I used to go on holiday with my parents to Tenerife, I used to buy a tenner fake one from the African guys on the street.

They just don't look the part at all IMO.

And a great big thank you to the OP for starting this thread. It only inspired Santa to bring me a fabulous Michael Kors watch this morning. Fine work! Next year can someone please start a flash cars/Mulberry handbags/Tiffany jewellery thread? :biggrin:

Merry Christmas.

Do you think Goldsmiths would price match Iconic Watches?

They're 28% cheaper......

I'm guessing not.

Would'nt think so, I was looking at this at Laings, I mentioned Iconic watches was about ?300 cheaper for this quartz, they said they would take ?100 off the price

17330493_1_640.png

Santa brought me this - complete with deployment clasp leather strap :)

image330png_T035_617_16_051_00_png.png

There's no image?

Just me?

Edit - it's there now.

Nice, Dex.

Edited by Sten Guns

Captain_Peacock

Do you think Goldsmiths would price match Iconic Watches?

They're 28% cheaper......

I'm guessing not.

I've managed to negotiate an 11% discount from an authorised Rolex dealer previously and used a link from Iconic watches to achieve this. 28% sounds steep to me but you can ask for nothing.

Silly question no doubt, but how should a watch fit?

I got given a bracelet watch for the first time and it seems pretty loose at the moment (if my arm is up then it will slide down a couple inches). However, if I get a link taken out, then it's too tight.

Don't want to return it cause it's a nice watch. Guess this is where leather straps have their advantage.

Captain_Peacock

Silly question no doubt, but how should a watch fit?

I got given a bracelet watch for the first time and it seems pretty loose at the moment (if my arm is up then it will slide down a couple inches). However, if I get a link taken out, then it's too tight.

Don't want to return it cause it's a nice watch. Guess this is where leather straps have their advantage.

Are "half links" available for the watch bracelet you have?

Is there any micro adjustment on the watch clasp?

Captain_Peacock

I can't see any micro adjustment on the clasp, had a quick look on the net and couldn't see a reference to half links for this watch (that's not to say they don't exist and I just haven't been able to find them).

I'd suggest you get a definitive answer from the retailer you bought the watch from, just ask if half links are available for the bracelet or if the clasp has a micro adjustment feature.

What you described earlier is the reason why half links & micro adjustment are offered on some solid bracelets.

Edited by Captain_Peacock

Carl Weathers

Does anyone have experience of Hamilton Jazzmaster watches? You can pick up some nice looking ones relatively cheaply. I'm thinking it could be a less expensive way for me to get an automatic watch (also a bit easier to justify). They are a few hundred pounds cheaper than similar looking automatic watches from Longines and Raymond Weil.

It'll be a while before I can get my hands on an Omega, sadly.

Does anyone have experience of Hamilton Jazzmaster watches? You can pick up some nice looking ones relatively cheaply. I'm thinking it could be a less expensive way for me to get an automatic watch (also a bit easier to justify). They are a few hundred pounds cheaper than similar looking automatic watches from Longines and Raymond Weil.

It'll be a while before I can get my hands on an Omega, sadly.

Save for longer and get the one you really want.

You can get antique gold Longines / Omega for reasonable prices from ebay if you're into that sort of thing.

Think I've settled on what I want for my 30th.

?3795 on high street shops but ?2750 from Iconic Watches.

I'll no doubt change my mind by June but this is winning as it stands and I can't stretch to a Navitimer or Submariner.

gZfZSGB.jpg

kingantti1874

Think I've settled on what I want for my 30th.

?3795 on high street shops but ?2750 from Iconic Watches.

I'll no doubt change my mind by June but this is winning as it stands and I can't stretch to a Navitimer or Submariner.

gZfZSGB.jpg

Nice Sten, I nearly went for that one when I bought my carrera

Wow. That's a damn nice watch Cosa.

I like it. Took me a while to save for it. I prefer the croc leather straps but I know that they don't last as long as the bracelets.

Seems to be a winner.

Can imagine the old dears face when I use birthday cash towards this.

"What a waste......." Blah blah blah.

Beat it. :lol:

Seems to be a winner.

Watches are cool. You'll keep it forever and give it to your son someday maybe. Say **** it and just get the one you really want.

Guest GhostHunter

Seems to be a winner.

You need to tell your mum that you're 30 years old ffs.

;)

Have you checked out the 1887 range Sten? Some nice ones in those.

They're bringing out a new Carrera soon with their brand new 1969 movement but who knows when that will be and how much they'll cost.