Watches

jack D and coke

Carl Weathers

I like it. Took me a while to save for it. I prefer the croc leather straps but I know that they don't last as long as the bracelets.

Might start tucking a ton away each month and get something next year. Either that or use my bonus!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you checked out the 1887 range Sten? Some nice ones in those.

They're bringing out a new Carrera soon with their brand new 1969 movement but who knows when that will be and how much they'll cost.

I have mate. Very very nice.

Think I'm after a busier face. More sporty look.

Hard to explain.

If I could afford two though....... Haha

Might start tucking a ton away each month and get something next year. Either that or use my bonus!

Good thinking. Every player needs a nice timepiece.

I have mate. Very very nice.

Think I'm after a busier face. More sporty look.

Hard to explain.

If I could afford two though....... Haha

I think this is a great looking watch.

tag-heuer-carrera-1887-anthracite-car2013-fc6313.jpg

Actually having thought about it more and a quick Google if I was IWC I'd be on the phone having a wee word in their ear.

Check out this one, not even remotely similar is it? Will be cheaper though for the TAG Heuer.

L_IW371438_2011.jpg

Having to return my Armani watch as it doesn't fit.

1 link removed = too tight

1 link added = too loose

No half links or adjustable clasp either.

Seething.

Thoughts on Casio G Shock watches?

I've got a few of them. I like them a lot and wear them when I'm doing stuff where I wouldn't want to risk a proper watch. I like the digital ones only. The ones with hands and faces etc look shit.

Jimmy McNulty

Got a payout at work, $9K. Of course, I wanted to spend on a Breitling or Omega. Wife has other ideas. Going on house or new car... Sigh.

Got a payout at work, $9K. Of course, I wanted to spend on a Breitling or Omega. Wife has other ideas. Going on house or new car... Sigh.

You can get vintage mechanical gold Omega's for less than ?1k.

They're pretty cool some of them.

13860344178e3f47d5dfd8f490edf9ff54042e02dfc9a334c2cc3ce5afa44483be4c5e5914-small.pngwhats peoples opinion on this by Larsson and Jennings ?

Nice and simple. Would be better with a decent strap. That thing is awful.

Got a classic Rolex i inherited from my granddad, lovely understated watch though need to take it somewhere to have a clean-up (any ideas in Edinburgh where to take it?)...only wear it on formal occasions though. My wrists are too skinny for a watch, plus i don't really have a use for one for anything other than aesthetic purposes.

jack D and coke
13860344178e3f47d5dfd8f490edf9ff54042e02dfc9a334c2cc3ce5afa44483be4c5e5914-small.pngwhats peoples opinion on this by Larsson and Jennings ?

Yep agree with cosa. Not too keen on the watch but what dreadful strap.

Got a classic Rolex i inherited from my granddad, lovely understated watch though need to take it somewhere to have a clean-up (any ideas in Edinburgh where to take it?)...only wear it on formal occasions though. My wrists are too skinny for a watch, plus i don't really have a use for one for anything other than aesthetic purposes.

Was in Laings on Frederick Street yesterday the guy said they are starting to do their servicing inhouse within the next couple of months, i was looking at this Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, If I do decide to go for it I would go down to iconic Watches in Blackburn which is a lot cheaper

23110422106001-20_1.jpg

Daydream Believer

I like Brendan Haddock on Murrayfield Avenue although I think he's quite expensive (He (his wife) once charged me ?20 to take a single link out of an omega constellation).

He's a good guy though and takes care over his work.

Carl Weathers

I picked up a vintage Omega Geneve from my Grandad. He bought it in the 60's.

It looks very similar to the one below except mines has an expandable gold bracelet:

Picture_2457.jpg

The watch appears to be in excellant condition except for scratches on the glass (which feels like plastic). I'd like to get it serviced and the scratches removed. I'll also get a black leather strap if I decide to wear it. Anyone know of good places to go?

Does anyone know anything about these watches?

Cheers.

Edited by Carl Weathers

I picked up a vintage Omega Geneve from my Grandad. He bought it in the 60's.

It looks very similar to the one below except mines has an expandable gold bracelet:

Picture_2457.jpg

The watch appears to be in excellant condition except for scratches on the glass (which feels like plastic). I'd like to get it serviced and the scratches removed. I'll also get a black leather strap if I decide to wear it. Anyone know of good places to go?

Does anyone know anything about these watches?

Cheers.

Laings in Frederick street are going to start their own in house servicing within the next couple of months

Lovely watch Cosa. How did you come across that one?

I'll post up some pics of mine soon. The strap is proper pimp style!

I bought it from a dealer on ebay. I looked at all of the feedback and comments and then made a low offer. He showed me some websites to look at to see what it was worth and the exact model and then compromised on the price. I got an excellent deal for a vintage gold watch. It's in almost perfect condition too. Cost me a tenner to have it authenticated in Glasgow. The guy showed me the mechanical movement and everything.

I bought it from a dealer on ebay. I looked at all of the feedback and comments and then made a low offer. He showed me some websites to look at to see what it was worth and the exact model and then compromised on the price. I got an excellent deal for a vintage gold watch. It's in almost perfect condition too. Cost me a tenner to have it authenticated in Glasgow. The guy showed me the mechanical movement and everything.

How did you get it authenticated?

I'd like to get mine done

There's a place that does it in the Argyll Arcade.

This was a while ago mind. It's more than likely still there though.

I'd imagine there are a few places if you google it.

Here's my watch:

Any idea where I can get it serviced for a no bad price?

It's a lovely old watch. Treat it to a proper Omega service and then use a local guy after that.

Carl Weathers

It's a lovely old watch. Treat it to a proper Omega service and then use a local guy after that.

I'll get some quotes. I've read that an Omega service costs ?400?

• 1 month later...
TheMaganator

I sent my watch away for a service. The work cost ?192 in total and was well worth it.

The guy who did the work has a blog and he added my watch to it:

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-geneve-165-041-calibre-552/

:lol:

I read that one earlier. Small world.

The man is a genius - what he did with that Speedmaster was incredible!

ordered my Omega Aqua Seamaster Terra from Iconic Watches, should arrive next week, good price, a lot cheaper than shops up town. Thanks to the poster who posted the link to Iconic :thumbsup:

Quite plain, not too much detail, but I like it

http://www.laingthejeweller.com/Watches-Omega/Omega-Seamaster-Aqua-Terra-150-M-Co-Axial-415-mm-UuAg.html

ordered my Omega Aqua Seamaster Terra from Iconic Watches, should arrive next week, good price, a lot cheaper than shops up town. Thanks to the poster who posted the link to Iconic :thumbsup:

Quite plain, not too much detail, but I like it

http://www.laingthej...15-mm-UuAg.html

Very nice.

I reckon I'd have gone for a moonwatch if I was going to buy a new Omega.

Angry Haggis

I sent my watch away for a service. The work cost ?192 in total and was well worth it.

The guy who did the work has a blog and he added my watch to it:

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-omega-geneve-165-041-calibre-552/

Great stuff Carl and a great looking job that was done by the looks of things. I have a SeaMaster I got a few years back second hand..probably approaching 15 years old and I was considering getting it serviced. I will be dropping this chap a line!

Edited by Angry Haggis

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.citizenwa...odel=AT8020-03L

Thoughts?

I just got 500 quid insurance money and fancy a watch.

The Eco Drive is a lovely watch. I just got my hands on one of the Red Arrows range and it's beautifully made , solid bracelet and looks good (not too heavy). I think the red is a better looker than the Blue Angel version (I did actually think about the Blue Angels version originally). Eco Drive seems to have plenty of good reviews on t'interweb.

itsnomarooned

http://www.citizenwa...odel=AT8020-03L

Thoughts?

I just got 500 quid insurance money and fancy a watch.

I've got an Eco-Drive and it's the proverbial dug's baws. Can't help but think that come the inevitable zombie type apocolypse me (and possibly you) will be the only ones able to tell time after a while 'cos ours run on light and not batteries. Might be goosed if it's a nuclear winter though.

TheMaganator

I've got an Eco-Drive and it's the proverbial dug's baws. Can't help but think that come the inevitable zombie type apocolypse me (and possibly you) will be the only ones able to tell time after a while 'cos ours run on light and not batteries. Might be goosed if it's a nuclear winter though.

Yup - you'll be goosed when we are immersed in darkness. Those automatic watch wearers will be giving it :verysmug: at that stage

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's getting closer to my 30th.

Literally spent the last 6 months looking at watches 3 or 4 times a week. :lol:

Changed my mind several times. So I'm glad I've given myself a long period to make my mind up.

Went off the Carrera and I've fallen in love with the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph.

Also joined Tazio in not liking Breitling's.

It's more expensive than I'd have wanted, but I'm prepared to use Iconic Watches to save around 25%, then hopefully put down a fair wedge then take them up on their finance offer.

Most companies offer 0%, it doesn't say on their website. Does anyone know if it is?

I suppose I'd rather overspend to get something I really want, than underspend to get something that's okay and happened to be cheap enough?

Here's a few images. I've been drooling over this for a while now and I've not changed my mind or had doubts at all. Think it's the one. :)

It's a big watch, but my forearm is hairy as feck and pretty chunky, so it should be fine.

d8luqMD.jpg

97zRHIG.jpg

X8Vw7J0.jpg

CBCqFLZ.jpg

Edited by Sten Guns

got a Omega Seamaster Aqua terra from Iconic watches about a month ago, quite a plain watch, really like it and Iconic watches were pretty good to dal with, no problems

omega_at8500_02.jpg

Well it's getting closer to my 30th.

Literally spent the last 6 months looking at watches 3 or 4 times a week. :lol:

Changed my mind several times. So I'm glad I've given myself a long period to make my mind up.

Went off the Carrera and I've fallen in love with the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph.

Also joined Tazio in not liking Breitling's.

It's more expensive than I'd have wanted, but I'm prepared to use Iconic Watches to save around 25%, then hopefully put down a fair wedge then take them up on their finance offer.

Most companies offer 0%, it doesn't say on their website. Does anyone know if it is?

I suppose I'd rather overspend to get something I really want, than underspend to get something that's okay and happened to be cheap enough?

Here's a few images. I've been drooling over this for a while now and I've not changed my mind or had doubts at all. Think it's the one. :)

It's a big watch, but my forearm is hairy as feck and pretty chunky, so it should be fine.

d8luqMD.jpg

97zRHIG.jpg

X8Vw7J0.jpg

CBCqFLZ.jpg

Nice watch Sten. I'd happily take one of these, maybe even one of the more daring colours. Got a black standard Carrera myself which I love but the Omega is equally appealing. Nice problem to have.

Before you buy it check out the Panerai Luminor Marina range. This will probably be where I look for a new timepiece. Stunning watches. Love to hear from anyone who owns one.

Notbrainwashed

So - iconic watches is a legit site? Good to know. Will certainly keep that in mind for when I eventually buy an Omega Speedmaster Pro...

My 40th in 4 years, maybe then?

Like it Sten.

Much do one of those go for on iconic?

?4000.

Quite a big difference to the high street.

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0001682/Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-Chronograph-Mans-Watch/p

I've emailed Iconic asking about any possible small discount and they can't move on their price. Worth asking though.

Think I'll try it on somewhere before deciding what to do. Would hate to end up thinking it was too big.