Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice.

What's the 2nd crown on the top left for?

Helium escape valve. Needs opened when diving to a certain depth.

Edited by Sten Guns

Angry Haggis

Jeez.

Sounds pretty technical.

Only if you go 'Diving' to a certain depth*

*sniggers like a schoolboy think of the 'non water type diving....

http://www.citizenwa...odel=AT8020-03L

Thoughts?

I just got 500 quid insurance money and fancy a watch.

I have had my Blue Angel for a couple of years now, think it is fabulous. It did cost me though, our daughters husband had an Omega he got from one of the teams in the Olympics, a special edition, if my wife hadn't bought me my Blue Angel I would have possibly got the Omega.

And as often happens with these things I've just got an e-mail from E Bay saying I won the other item I had a bid on. Also ?27 oddly enough.

This one a 1960's Favre-Leuba Sea Chief. An interesting company that were one of the few that manufactured in house movements. Like Roamer they lost their way a bit when the whole quartz watch thing came around.

$_12.JPG

I like the 2nd one better.

Yep, so do I. I'm not sure I really wanted the Roamer as it looks a bit like an old Caravelle by Bulova I have. They are nice watches though. The Favre Leuba is the one that really does it for me though.

Edited by Tazio

Helium release valve - for saturation divers who have to spend time in a decompression chamber post dive. A very technical piece of kit required to cope with the time spent in the chamber while they readjust to normal atmospheric pressure. Real anorak stuff and completely superfluous to everyday needs. They always look nice though. :)

Sten, that's an outstanding choice. It's one of the very best looking watches out there. Higher end TAG Heuers and Omega Speedmasters are fairly common but you wont see too many people with that thing on their arm.

There's a place that does it in the Argyll Arcade.

This was a while ago mind. It's more than likely still there though.

I'd imagine there are a few places if you google it.

Yeah the place is still there down at the bottom of Buchanan Street, though they sent watches away for servicing.

I'll get some quotes. I've read that an Omega service costs ?400?

A battery change and re-pressurise was ?80 when I did it for my dad's watch last year. Apparently watches are classed as vintage if they are older than 25 years old. Not sure if that adds a premium to the service price or not though, I would imagine so.

Well it's getting closer to my 30th.

Literally spent the last 6 months looking at watches 3 or 4 times a week. :lol:

Changed my mind several times. So I'm glad I've given myself a long period to make my mind up.

Went off the Carrera and I've fallen in love with the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph.

Also joined Tazio in not liking Breitling's.

It's more expensive than I'd have wanted, but I'm prepared to use Iconic Watches to save around 25%, then hopefully put down a fair wedge then take them up on their finance offer.

Most companies offer 0%, it doesn't say on their website. Does anyone know if it is?

I suppose I'd rather overspend to get something I really want, than underspend to get something that's okay and happened to be cheap enough?

Here's a few images. I've been drooling over this for a while now and I've not changed my mind or had doubts at all. Think it's the one. :)

It's a big watch, but my forearm is hairy as feck and pretty chunky, so it should be fine.

d8luqMD.jpg

97zRHIG.jpg

X8Vw7J0.jpg

CBCqFLZ.jpg

Jealous !! I spent a lot of time on this website - you might find it interesting. Their watches all got good reviews on the usual websites. http://www.deepbluewatches.com/dat1trswauch.html

Well that's it ordered. Apparently going take up to 21 days for them to source it.

Good wee review here that starts at 5 mins 16.

Angry Haggis

Well that's it ordered. Apparently going take up to 21 days for them to source it.

Good wee review here that starts at 5 mins 16.

http://youtu.be/nuJDsCe2caM

Good stuff. Mind and tell your house insurance (assuming you have it) that you have an item like this - I would imagine they will add a small amount to your premium.

My daily wear Seamaster is in at Laings for strap repair currently...did not think I would notice not wearing a watch but its been a pain recently. And yes I don't have any others to wear!

Good stuff. Mind and tell your house insurance (assuming you have it) that you have an item like this - I would imagine they will add a small amount to your premium.

My daily wear Seamaster is in at Laings for strap repair currently...did not think I would notice not wearing a watch but its been a pain recently. And yes I don't have any others to wear!

Will be the first thing I do mate!

I was thinking of getting a new watch for my forthcoming 60th Birthday. Current watch is a bog-standard Seiko I got from my parents for my 40th, so it has sentimental value as they are now sadly no longer with us. So Iooked at some higher end watches Rolex, Cartier etc, a bit surprised at the prices, but I can afford it so, what is stopping me? Apart from a watch, I wear no other jewellery of any description not even a wedding ring. maybe its the thought of blowing so much money on something I would not even have considered buying 5 years ago. I fancy something timeless & (sorry pun unintentional) classic...any suggestions?

I've managed to add a few long time grails in the last few months. A Poljot c3133 chronograph Okeah, Seiko 6309, Vostok Radio Room. Today will see the arrival of a Seiko H558-5000. The 'Arnie' shrouded ana-digi diver.

I was thinking of getting a new watch for my forthcoming 60th Birthday. Current watch is a bog-standard Seiko I got from my parents for my 40th, so it has sentimental value as they are now sadly no longer with us. So Iooked at some higher end watches Rolex, Cartier etc, a bit surprised at the prices, but I can afford it so, what is stopping me? Apart from a watch, I wear no other jewellery of any description not even a wedding ring. maybe its the thought of blowing so much money on something I would not even have considered buying 5 years ago. I fancy something timeless & (sorry pun unintentional) classic...any suggestions?

Omega Moonphase Moonwatch or a Tag Monaco.

They really are iconic watches.

I guess everyone's just going to give you the watches they'd buy if money was no object so....if it was me, I'd buy a Rolex Daytona, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak or if you're really pushing the boat out, a Patek Philippe Calatrava.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have a look at the watches suggested. Oh just an aside, I appreciate the information provided, so refreshing to receive it sans the smart arse comments which can be so often the case.

TheMaganator

I've managed to add a few long time grails in the last few months. A Poljot c3133 chronograph Okeah, Seiko 6309, Vostok Radio Room. Today will see the arrival of a Seiko H558-5000. The 'Arnie' shrouded ana-digi diver.

How you finding the Poljot?

I've never owned a Russian watch.

Surely these are wish list watches - rather than grails?

TheMaganator

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have a look at the watches suggested. Oh just an aside, I appreciate the information provided, so refreshing to receive it sans the smart arse comments which can be so often the case.

Check out Bremont if you want a really well made British watch. http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/bremont-watches/products/bremont-boeing-model-247-white-watch-bm-312

If money was no object id have a few of these

How you finding the Poljot?

I've never owned a Russian watch.

Surely these are wish list watches - rather than grails?

The Okeah was definitely a grail. As rare as rocking horse shite in good nick. I got a cracking example for a great price as well. Extremely lucky.

Russian watches are great. The various watches that employed the 3133 chrono movement are among the best and most collectible. Strela, Sturmanskie, Poljot. The 3133 was basically a progression of the Valjoux 7734. When the Swiss stopped producing the 7734, the Russians bought the rights and a lot of the tooling to continue making similar movements in Russia.

The Okeah also has the distinction of being a watch that made the trip into space. One Cosmonaut wore one during at least one mission. Strelas were more commonly worn.

Vostoks are generally cheaper but also very collectible.

Is there a correct way to measure your wrist for a watch?

Iconic do free sizing prior to postage, but I need to give them my wrist measurement.

I've wrapped an inch thick strip of paper around my wrist and marked with a pen where they meet.

I've not done it tight though. Should it be? I done it roughly as loose as I'd wear a watch. Hard to judge with paper though as you don't get a feel for movement and how it would actually feel.

It's 7.5", but more like 7 when tight.

Unsure what size to give them?

Not sure what a normal wrist size is. Hopefully fine for the 45.5mm watch.

Edited by Sten Guns

Captain_Peacock

Is there a correct way to measure your wrist for a watch?

Iconic do free sizing prior to postage, but I need to give them my wrist measurement.

I've wrapped an inch thick strip of paper around my wrist and marked with a pen where they meet.

I've not done it tight though. Should it be? I done it roughly as loose as I'd wear a watch. Hard to judge with paper though as you don't get a feel for movement and how it would actually feel.

It's 7.5", but more like 7 when tight.

Unsure what size to give them?

Not sure what a normal wrist size is. Hopefully fine for the 45.5mm watch.

I measured mine using a piece of string, didn't pull it tight, marked the string where it joined and used that measurement. No harm in letting Iconic watches know how you measured your wrist when you give them the info.

Your wrist will change size with temp so there needs to be some give in the strap.

45mm is a big watch imo, the shape of the wrist will have a bearing on how it looks (if the top / bottom of the wrist is flatter I think you can carry off larger watches better)

It's a matter of opinion but for me you need a 7" wrist to wear anything 44mm+, my own rule is the lugs shouldn't over hang the wrist.

This paragraph from a review was encouraging;

Of course the rather huge size is one of the draw-backs, however when comparing it to the Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea I?d say that the Seamaster POC wears more comfortable. This is probably due to the very short lugs and because of this, the watch ?hugs? the wrist. On my average size wrist it looks good.

4AERf8f.jpg

http://monochrome-watches.com/omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-chrono-reviewed/

Captain_Peacock

Have you tried the watch on Sten Guns?

I see from the review you posted that it's 19.2mm high which is quite a lump.

Have you tried the watch on Sten Guns?

I see from the review you posted that it's 19.2mm high which is quite a lump.

I haven't but I'm confident the sizing will be okay.

From snooping around watch forums apparently a hairy forearm helps with watch height. Which I have in abundance :lol:

Iconic have said a return is fine if sent back as received.

Don't think it will come to that.

Captain_Peacock

From snooping around watch forums apparently a hairy forearm helps with watch height. Which I have in abundance :lol:

I'm sure I'm mentioning the obvious but just in case, I'd take as much care as possible when opening the packaging to limit any damage to an absolute minimum, keeping all packaging.

I wouldn't remove any stickers on the watch case, hang tags, protective cellophane from the watch until I was 100% that this is a keeper and not one to flip.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious it sounds like you've done your homework, enjoy the watch.

I'm looking at this one. http://www.christoph...paign=b4-261013

What's peoples thoughts on this. I'm 22 so not sure if it's maybe a design suited for people a bit older than me? Love the face though

Way too busy for my taste. I like a watch with a very clear face is easy to read. I've have to have a good look at that to work out where the hands were.

Jason Dufner

Way too busy for my taste. I like a watch with a very clear face is easy to read. I've have to have a good look at that to work out where the hands were.

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. I really do love the watch and a lot of the features it has with it but I'm thinking maybe it fails with its main purpose.

Angry Haggis

Sten - do yourself a favour and get to a shop at and try one on. Something that expensive you really need a few times trying it on. I found when selecting my SeaMaster looking at them on the internet/shop windows was hugely different to trying them on to get a look and feel on the selected watch on.

Do not allow yourself to be put off that Omega by trying it on. If you want it then you must have it. You can have it sized to your wrist without much trouble at any competent jeweller. You can go to Laings or perhaps to Tomian. You can do it yourself as link removal is not difficult. I would do it for you just to cop a butchers at it. :)

Yeah I'm leaning that way myself. I really do love the watch and a lot of the features it has with it but I'm thinking maybe it fails with its main purpose.

Christopher Ward make very good watches for the price but would agree with Tazio that the one you posted has a bit too much going on. Good choice of manufacturer though!

Do not allow yourself to be put off that Omega by trying it on. If you want it then you must have it. You can have it sized to your wrist without much trouble at any competent jeweller. You can go to Laings or perhaps to Tomian. You can do it yourself as link removal is not difficult. I would do it for you just to cop a butchers at it. :)

You're more than welcome to come check it out either way.

TheMaganator

I'm looking at this one. http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dress/c900wt/c900-wt-sbbr.html?utm_campaign=b4-261013

What's peoples thoughts on this. I'm 22 so not sure if it's maybe a design suited for people a bit older than me? Love the face though

I love this watch - be wary though. You don't tell the time on this watch like you do most. It'd take some getting used to.

Great piece though but if it's to be your only watch I'd maybe think twice.

Bungalow Bill
This paragraph from a review was encouraging;

Of course the rather huge size is one of the draw-backs, however when comparing it to the Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea I?d say that the Seamaster POC wears more comfortable. This is probably due to the very short lugs and because of this, the watch ?hugs? the wrist. On my average size wrist it looks good.

4AERf8f.jpg

http://monochrome-watches.com/omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-chrono-reviewed/

Tried this watch on at the weekend. A lovely watch. Contemplating trading up my current Omega Seamaster 300m for the non chronograph one in this picture.

My tips would be when spending big bucks is always go Automatic, otherwise you're just buying a battery watch. Don't let anyone tell you what to buy, get what feels right for you. I had my heart set on a TAG and felt absolutely nothing when I tried it on, the omega on the other hand was unreal.

I fancy a Hamilton watch too.

And as often happens with these things I've just got an e-mail from E Bay saying I won the other item I had a bid on. Also ?27 oddly enough.

This one a 1960's Favre-Leuba Sea Chief. An interesting company that were one of the few that manufactured in house movements. Like Roamer they lost their way a bit when the whole quartz watch thing came around.

$_12.JPG

Has this watched arrived yet? I had a wee look on ebay for similar bargains and I found the seller 'vintagewatches4you' who looks like the person selling that watch, is it? They have a large number of similar refurbished watches. I'm keen to pick up a bargain and the general ebay feedback is overwhelmingly positive but I'd still like to hear feedback from someone who has purchased a watch in the UK.

Also, that Omega is stunning, good choice, but I'd never trust myself not to lose/destroy a watch worth more than a couple hundred quid.

Been eyeing up this for a while now since I saw it in the Michael Kors shop in Madrid. Not normally a fan of that kind of stuff but really like this!

michael-kors-mk8320-all-black-large-lexington-chronograph-bracelet-watch-34.gif

Did they offer a finance option, Sten?

No mate. They don't offer that.

The misses is going to kill me when she finds out I dipped the savings :lol:

I'll put it back, she needs to understand its worth it. :)

TheMaganator

No mate. They don't offer that.

The misses is going to kill me when she finds out I dipped the savings :lol:

I'll put it back, she needs to understand its worth it. :)

:lol:

Good luck with that!

Captain_Peacock

One of my favourite things about the good weather - the opportunity to actually see your lume

DB905BAC-3B56-4B8E-A9E6-CCF53DCE29CC-24525-000016233BFD488B_zps7bb01f80.jpg

I give up, which watch is this?