depression

chester copperpot

FUUUUUUUUCK

Stuck in traffic for 90 mins this morning meant I completely missed any chance of getting an appointment this morning, next one available is next monday or phone again tomorrow.

Trying to explain my situation got zero response.

Thank **** i'#ve no money left to drink 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

So, that went very well.

Got my first appointment yesterday, said what I had to say and got given a questionnaire to take away and fill in.

Had another appointment today, again, went very well. The doctor was incredible actually.

Whoever said it would be a massive weight off my shoulders, so true.

Anyway, been prescribed fluoxetine and been offered occupational therapy. Thankfully my work offers this as well as the NHS. Guess I'll need to speak to my work now. Another hurdle but it will be a lot easier now after the last few days.

Again, thanks to everyone for their advice and help, I wouldn't have done it without yous.

Also, if anyone has any experience of fluoxetine or any advice about it, it would be much appreciated.

Again, cheers, bunch of legends.

Blackford Hearts

Oh, a quick google and it turns out that fluoxetine is actually prozac.

Interesting.

Well done for persevering and good luck on your journey to recovery. I went down psychotherapy route and it has given me coping mechanisms I still use. One of the best was to remove negative influences from your life. Sometimes that means people and sometimes a situation (work etc.). Not always easy to do but makes a huge difference to your (my) happiness. Cheers

Салатные палочки

Interesting.

Don't concern yourself with the name.  I know prozac has this reputation as being used by crazy American women, but that's just a brand name.  I was on fluoxetine for a year and it really helped me.  

When do you plan to take your first dose?  I can confirm that it is not as strong as some other anti-depressants side effect wise.  When you take your first couple of doses, you will feel 'stoned'.  When I took my first one I fell asleep for a couple of hours and the same the next.  There is a chance you will feel a bit agitated, my doc prescribed me beta-blockers alongside to combat this (I am still on these - they help me greatly). I was snapping at my ex when I first took them because I felt that agitated.  

After a few days you probably won't feel a lot better than you do just now (hopefully your mood has improved anyway with taking the steps you have) but don't let that put you off.  You may only feel different after a month or so, so persevere with them.  One day you will notice that the things that bothered you before no longer bother you.  I will say this though, fluoxetine did make me pretty lethargic so I would follow the advice of other people on this thread and make sure you stay active, try and have a decent diet.  I would also recommend staying off the alcohol for a while.  You will be able to drink moderately after a while (probably against your G.P's advice I will add) but initially, I would avoid it completely at first or you won't feel any benefit at all.  

You have done the right thing and I hope that it's all good from here on in  :2thumbsup:

Салатные палочки

I meant to add that if you have any questions re the fluoxetine send me a PM i'll be happy to help out to the best of my knowledge 

Bad few days hitting me. No real trigger but I suspect a reason for it. Hitting me hard to the pint I might go back to the doctor.

I'm riding it out for a few days to see if it lifts as it normally does but worst I've felt in a couple of years

Interesting.

I was on Fluoxetine and it was one of the better ones. It unfortunately made me so drowsy that I was struggling to stay awake during the daytime so it made work quite difficult. My GP said that this isn't a common side effect so you might be fine.

Bad few days hitting me. No real trigger but I suspect a reason for it. Hitting me hard to the pint I might go back to the doctor.

I'm riding it out for a few days to see if it lifts as it normally does but worst I've felt in a couple of years

It's not nice when that happens. I know exactly what you mean as I too am up and down like a yo-yo with nothing in particular triggering the days/weeks of low mood.

I personally would be speaking to my GP as early as possible but nobody knows how you feel better than you do.

Things will get better, it just takes time :)

Edited by Col1874

Don't concern yourself with the name.  I know prozac has this reputation as being used by crazy American women, but that's just a brand name.  I was on fluoxetine for a year and it really helped me.  

When do you plan to take your first dose?  I can confirm that it is not as strong as some other anti-depressants side effect wise.  When you take your first couple of doses, you will feel 'stoned'.  When I took my first one I fell asleep for a couple of hours and the same the next.  There is a chance you will feel a bit agitated, my doc prescribed me beta-blockers alongside to combat this (I am still on these - they help me greatly). I was snapping at my ex when I first took them because I felt that agitated.  

After a few days you probably won't feel a lot better than you do just now (hopefully your mood has improved anyway with taking the steps you have) but don't let that put you off.  You may only feel different after a month or so, so persevere with them.  One day you will notice that the things that bothered you before no longer bother you.  I will say this though, fluoxetine did make me pretty lethargic so I would follow the advice of other people on this thread and make sure you stay active, try and have a decent diet.  I would also recommend staying off the alcohol for a while.  You will be able to drink moderately after a while (probably against your G.P's advice I will add) but initially, I would avoid it completely at first or you won't feel any benefit at all.  

You have done the right thing and I hope that it's all good from here on in  :2thumbsup:

Alright mate.

Took my first dose tonight, 20mg, to be taken daily. I was told about the potential stoned nature of it initially and due to the nature of my work I was told it would probably be best to take it in the evenings to avoid any issues during the day. So far so good, small stomach aches but that could just be my dinner for all I know. Took it a hours ago and honestly not felt a jot. I know it takes weeks to kick but so not worried about feeling nothing positive but kinda glad there's been nothing negative so far either. Fingers crossed this remains.

And yes, to say there has been a weight off my shoulders these last few days would be the understatement of the century. Can't believe how easy going it all was and the experience was nothing like I was expecting. Pleasantly relieved would also be a massive understatement. Telling some people in my life about what's going on too has always massively helped as now I know I also have willing support face to face too. 

Thankfully getting back into exercise won't be an issue for me and relatively speaking, I do live a reasonably healthy life style and my diet is probably healthier than 90% of the populations so I'm glad I have a decent base level to work with.

Genuinely would never have done all that if it wasn't for ALL the people that contribute on here, with some going that extra mile to help, yourself included. It's been a long, long road from acceptance to diagnosis for me. Not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination but one that was absolutely necessary. I hope I can pay back even a fraction of the support I have had and my PM's will always be an open door to anyone that wishes to talk. Again. much thanks you bunch of legends.

ps. Bev, I'm sure you know what's the right thing to do in your situation. Just do whatever it takes with your head held high!  

Thanks col and south cap. Gonna give it a few days as usually it will lift as quickly as it comes on. I am making a few plans right now and have something good to focus on so that will help.

South cap I'm glad you're feeling the benefits as I did not ever want to take anything and when I did it was fluoxetine I was given. I slept for a week when I first took it. Literally could barely scrape myself off the sofa for that week. My dosage was upped over a period of time so I was just a bit numb. My friends helped greatly mind you, by never bringing it up unless I did and never once complained when I houdinied on them.

Good luck my friend

Some brilliant reading on this and great to compare some stories to how i am feeling as well.

it's helping me realise that it all isn't in my head and could have something wrong with me. i know i need to speak with someone so reading this is going to give me the kick up the backside a need

also not nice to see so many people in such a bad state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a massive downward spiral the past week or so and struggling to cope horrendously.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help you guys have given me.

Slevinkelevra

So another up n down few weeks for me,stupidly stopped taking my meds, thought I was ok, not realising it was the meds that made me feel better! Back to taking time off work, got a feeling they may end up just saying enough is enough and just sacking me. When I think about that happening I'm not even bothered, which is probably not a good sign.

Edited by Slevinkelevra

Anyone ever had 'brain zaps' when coming off Citalopram?

Been on 20mg for the past six months and didn't renew my prescription. It made no difference apart from making me tired so I stopped.

Not taken a pill since Thursday afternoon and the side effects haven't been too bad, just this weird feeling in my head occasionally. Found a description of it online:

Anxiety head and brain zaps anxiety symptom description: It feels as if your head, brain, or both have experienced a sudden shake, vibration, tremor, jolt, electric shock, or zap. Some people describe the head and brain zaps symptoms as if the brain has been suddenly jolted by electricity or strong electric charge.

That and the occasional bout of diarrhea.

Edited by Solid Snake

Салатные палочки

Been on 20mg for the past six months and didn't renew my prescription. It made no difference apart from making me tired so I stopped.

Not taken a pill since Thursday afternoon and the side effects haven't been too bad, just this weird feeling in my head occasionally. Found a description of it online:

Anxiety head and brain zaps anxiety symptom description: It feels as if your head, brain, or both have experienced a sudden shake, vibration, tremor, jolt, electric shock, or zap. Some people describe the head and brain zaps symptoms as if the brain has been suddenly jolted by electricity or strong electric charge.

Got them when coming off fluoxetine.  Shit myself the first few times. I found they happened more at night when I was lying in bed. They will become less frequent over time.  

Fluoxetine is barry. Been two and a half weeks and I'm sure they haven't fully kicked in yet but any placebo affect is doing wonders. The best thing has been sleep, can actually sleep like a normal human being for the first time in my life. I got to bed and I'm asleep within 10 minutes and stay that way until my alarm wakes me up. Before I'd be tossing and turning for hours and could only sleep a maximum of 6 hours before waking up and that was a good night. Granted there's been some days I've struggled to keep my eyes open but it's generally been a physical tiredness, still felt awake and alert mentally. Hoping that wears off over time but if it remains, it's a small price to pay for the good sleep I'm getting.

Don't even get much if any road rage any more, just letting all the small annoying things in life slide, where as before I'd be in full on rage mode over, well, nothing I guess.

Will need to go and get my check up next week at some point and get another prescription. Never had a repeat prescription in my life, are they relatively painless to get or a bit of a pain?

Cheers again everyone.

Салатные палочки

Fluoxetine is barry. Been two and a half weeks and I'm sure they haven't fully kicked in yet but any placebo affect is doing wonders. The best thing has been sleep, can actually sleep like a normal human being for the first time in my life. I got to bed and I'm asleep within 10 minutes and stay that way until my alarm wakes me up. Before I'd be tossing and turning for hours and could only sleep a maximum of 6 hours before waking up and that was a good night. Granted there's been some days I've struggled to keep my eyes open but it's generally been a physical tiredness, still felt awake and alert mentally. Hoping that wears off over time but if it remains, it's a small price to pay for the good sleep I'm getting.

Don't even get much if any road rage any more, just letting all the small annoying things in life slide, where as before I'd be in full on rage mode over, well, nothing I guess.

Will need to go and get my check up next week at some point and get another prescription. Never had a repeat prescription in my life, are they relatively painless to get or a bit of a pain?

Cheers again everyone.

Probably helps your getting your hole of three different bursds at the one time  :2thumbsup:

Seriously though, glad their working for you.  You will never realise the difference they make to your life until you take the plunge. 

Cheers again everyone.

After I got prescribed my second batch of Citalopram I was given a repeat prescription slip by my GP.

Then when I was close to running out I would just go to my local Rowlands pharmacy, give them the repeat prescription slip and in a few days it would be ready to pick up.

Then when you pick it up you get another repeat prescription slip. Basically removes the need for pointless GP appointments.

If it's your first batch then you probably didn't get a repeat prescription slip as your GP will want to see how you react first before giving you a constant supply.

Probably helps your getting your hole of three different bursds at the one time  :2thumbsup:

Seriously though, glad their working for you.  You will never realise the difference they make to your life until you take the plunge. 

Hahaha well that definitely has been another positive affect, got my old mojo back! Was hoping they posts slipped under the radar and wanted to keep this topic clean but oh well ha! I was slightly worried that one possible side affect of them was losing your libido but it seems to be the opposite for me, good times.

I've spent so long thinking that being an angry, moody ******* that would just moan at everything and anything I could, was just me, just the way I was born. Now I'm seeing how I should be acting all these years, quite a humbling experience so far. I'm sure I'm a much better person to be around too.

After I got prescribed my second batch of Citalopram I was given a repeat prescription slip by my GP.

Then when I was close to running out I would just go to my local Rowlands pharmacy, give them the repeat prescription slip and in a few days it would be ready to pick up.

Then when you pick it up you get another repeat prescription slip. Basically removes the need for pointless GP appointments.

If it's your first batch then you probably didn't get a repeat prescription slip as your GP will want to see how you react first before giving you a constant supply.

Cheers for that mate. Glad to know it's a painless system when the initial appointments are out the way. Strangely looking forward to seeing the doctor again and I'm usually one that avoids doctors with a passion.  

The way it works with a good GP. They'd rather you were self medicating with something that even if just placebo effect, is helping rather than bevvy or dope. I keep resisting, but been back on for 6 months and I shudder to think without it. Choose a pharmacy a few miles away through at least one nice park, so you get the good walk medicine.  

Captain Canada

I've been off medication for nearly two years now and am doing well. I had a lot of help from an old friend which has transformed the way I see and think about things in life.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences of talking about mental health problems with their employer. I started a new job a few months ago and because I still get bad anxiety about presenting to large groups of people, I had to let them know about it. My boss has been great but others haven't been so supportive.

In a previous job, I felt like I had some sort of infectious disease after telling the management about my anxiety issues.

Despite this, I would urge anyone not to suffer in silence at work. Being on the receiving end of bad attitudes to mental health problems has only made me stronger. There is also a lot more awareness around it now than there used to be, which certainly helps.

In my experience, people really seem to struggle with the fact that mental illness doesn't mean you feel the same way every day. I go for long spells where I feel pretty good then I can have a bad few days out of the blue. The difference now is that I know how to deal with it better.

Having an invisible illness is tough, but threads like this and awareness days like today all help to discuss what's actually a very common problem that should be allocated more resources.

Edited by StanLaurel

Cheers again everyone.

Good news... Do you take it at night or in morning?

Good news... Do you take it at night or in morning?

Cheers my man.

Try and take it about an hour before I plan to go to bed. Not the easiest schedule to stick to but it sends me to sleep and I'd rather not risk the drowsy feeling in the morning/afternoon.

I've been off medication for nearly two years now and am doing well. I had a lot of help from an old friend which has transformed the way I see and think about things in life.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences of talking about mental health problems with their employer. I started a new job a few months ago and because I still get bad anxiety about presenting to large groups of people, I had to let them know about it. My boss has been great but others haven't been so supportive.

In a previous job, I felt like I had some sort of infectious disease after telling the management about my anxiety issues.

Despite this, I would urge anyone not to suffer in silence at work. Being on the receiving end of bad attitudes to mental health problems has only made me stronger. There is also a lot more awareness around it now than there used to be, which certainly helps.

In my experience, people really seem to struggle with the fact that mental illness doesn't mean you feel the same way every day. I go for long spells where I feel pretty good then I can have a bad few days out of the blue. The difference now is that I know how to deal with it better.

Having an invisible illness is tough, but threads like this and awareness days like today all help to discuss what's actually a very common problem that should be allocated more resources.

I had a bit of a mixed experience with my boss. Ive been prone to depression and anxiety and stress virtually since I reached adulthood. I can go for months and years with no symptoms. Other times I have been deeply depressed for no real good reason, although at times my working and personal life has been a bit turbulent and a bit full on. In those times I need medication, sometimes I refer myself for counselling. Ive learned over the years to ask for help and be honest about why you need it. Like you, I can go for a long time feeling great so its not like I display the symptoms every day.If you met me in 'normal' times you'd have no idea.

My last bout was last year sometime. It got to the stage where I just needed a break and a few days doing nothing but fixing myself. My boss was fine, said and did all the right things, but I knew at the back of my mind that he was going through the motions and just doing what was required to protect the company should I get worse or top myself at my desk. You can tell when folk just don't empathise and don't understand or think its real. I am fine now, was off for a week and had a back to work interview in which I disclosed everything. But he doesn't trust me now. He's not an old fashioned dinosaur or anything like that, but he presents himself as an alpha male macho type most of the time, which I am always very suspicious of anyway and he's made the odd remark about manning up and getting on with it when talking about other peoples problems.

My colleagues in general don't know, apart from one who can be trusted with that kind of thing. Its never going to be a thing you can be wholly open about in a workplace I don't think. Its not like breaking ribs or having a virus where its perfectly normal and there would be no reason to mask it or not talk about it. Luckily I get support from people who understand and can be trusted

Cheers my man.

Try and take it about an hour before I plan to go to bed. Not the easiest schedule to stick to but it sends me to sleep and I'd rather not risk the drowsy feeling in the morning/afternoon.

Interesting - I had heard it is a stimulant?!  I know someone who takes it too, and they said they take it in the mornings but they are always complaining of being tired during the day - I may suggest them trying it in the evening instead!

Edited by Jambo_in_Hamilton

I'm off the mirtazapine and onto 60mg duloxetine seeing as I've declined massively. 

Doctor said I could take it at any time but recommends before bed so that I don't have to go anywhere in the car as it makes me feel like I'm off my face. Insomnia is a huge side effect of it and I'm lucky if I'm getting 3 hours sleep a night. It's almost completely wiped out my appetite as well. 

Pretty sure it's slowly killing me! :laugh:

Yep, had really bad zaps when coming off Seroxat, amongst other withdrawal symptoms.

Currently on Fluoxetine and doing ok.

Interesting - I had heard it is a stimulant?!  I know someone who takes it too, and they said they take it in the mornings but they are always complaining of being tired during the day - I may suggest them trying it in the evening instead!

I do feel tired during the day but I do believe it's more my body getting used to it more than anything else. But thankfully no drowsiness during the day, which I definitely get within an hour of taking them. Perfect for a kip.

Captain Canada

I had a bit of a mixed experience with my boss. Ive been prone to depression and anxiety and stress virtually since I reached adulthood. I can go for months and years with no symptoms. Other times I have been deeply depressed for no real good reason, although at times my working and personal life has been a bit turbulent and a bit full on. In those times I need medication, sometimes I refer myself for counselling. Ive learned over the years to ask for help and be honest about why you need it. Like you, I can go for a long time feeling great so its not like I display the symptoms every day.If you met me in 'normal' times you'd have no idea.

My last bout was last year sometime. It got to the stage where I just needed a break and a few days doing nothing but fixing myself. My boss was fine, said and did all the right things, but I knew at the back of my mind that he was going through the motions and just doing what was required to protect the company should I get worse or top myself at my desk. You can tell when folk just don't empathise and don't understand or think its real. I am fine now, was off for a week and had a back to work interview in which I disclosed everything. But he doesn't trust me now. He's not an old fashioned dinosaur or anything like that, but he presents himself as an alpha male macho type most of the time, which I am always very suspicious of anyway and he's made the odd remark about manning up and getting on with it when talking about other peoples problems.

My colleagues in general don't know, apart from one who can be trusted with that kind of thing. Its never going to be a thing you can be wholly open about in a workplace I don't think. Its not like breaking ribs or having a virus where its perfectly normal and there would be no reason to mask it or not talk about it. Luckily I get support from people who understand and can be trusted

Thanks for replying. It's interesting to hear how other people have found things at work.

I feel the same, I can never fully just disclose everything as the reaction would be mixed. I don't mind if anyone knows but it's not worth the funny looks and being treated like I'm infectious or dangerous by colleagues.

It's a real shame it's not thought of and handled in the same way as physical illness.

I stopped taking my Citalopram off my own back and crashed quite badly. I then restarted and have been in quite a bad way the last week or 2. I've stopped talking to friends and I avoid family phone calls. I'm persevering with work because I'm self employed and it does actually help me but I'm feeling pressure off people just now and I'm close to cracking. I did take 6 tablets last week, I just kept taking them but someone close did persuade me to stop.

I had a conversation with myself tonight deciding that I've run my race and it's time for me to finish up. But I'm going to try sleep instead and seek further help tomorrow. I guess the reason I'm typing this is just to have a release. I don't particularly like myself and it's so hard to explain that to people. If I could put the feelings in my head into words it'd maybe help others understand, I just can't.

This thread really is a great help. Sorry for the sad post :(

Cairneyhill Jambo

I stopped taking my Citalopram off my own back and crashed quite badly. I then restarted and have been in quite a bad way the last week or 2. I've stopped talking to friends and I avoid family phone calls. I'm persevering with work because I'm self employed and it does actually help me but I'm feeling pressure off people just now and I'm close to cracking. I did take 6 tablets last week, I just kept taking them but someone close did persuade me to stop.

I had a conversation with myself tonight deciding that I've run my race and it's time for me to finish up. But I'm going to try sleep instead and seek further help tomorrow. I guess the reason I'm typing this is just to have a release. I don't particularly like myself and it's so hard to explain that to people. If I could put the feelings in my head into words it'd maybe help others understand, I just can't.

Please seek help in the morning. Things will get better. The thing with depression is Doctors can diagnose it, but it's a lottery what medication will work. The brain is such a mindf**k. I know it's frustrating but sometimes medication takes a few weeks to kick in too. Take care bud.

Hope you managed to get help today and got through last night ok.

Its not easy but you will manage to turn things around with advice and help from your GP.

All the best mate :2thumbsup:

Please seek help in the morning. Things will get better. The thing with depression is Doctors can diagnose it, but it's a lottery what medication will work. The brain is such a mindf**k. I know it's frustrating but sometimes medication takes a few weeks to kick in too. Take care bud.

Heres another thing though. The medication on its own ISNT a cure for depression. Yes it helps control it and sometimes it can mask it completely and you'll feel like you are cured. There isn't a cure for clinical depression which is solely chemical though. YOU MUST FIND A COUNSELLOR OF SOME KIND, especially when you get in deep like the lad above. Whether its a professional or a family member or a friend you need to find someone.

One of my counsellors described it like being the Titanic we're all on. When you hit the iceberg and you go in the water, quickly find something to hold on to until help comes. Depression is part chemical and part lifestyle triggers. You wont fix yourself long term unless you address both things

Thanks for the replies. The night was spent staring at the ceiling and over thinking every aspect of life!

I've contacted 2 different psychotherapists today for consultations, both quite different so want to meet both. I have had counselling and CBT in the past and it does help, I stopped more for financial reasons.

Collected my prescription today and limited my intake to 1 tablet!! Off for a walk just now then back to work later.

I'm finding hard to talk to friends and family just now. They're getting frustrated because they want to help but I just close down and become a brick wall. I get it's frustrating for them, I'm just finding it hard to express what's happening in my head.

1 day at a time is the way ahead just now.

Thanks for the replies. The night was spent staring at the ceiling and over thinking every aspect of life!

I've contacted 2 different psychotherapists today for consultations, both quite different so want to meet both. I have had counselling and CBT in the past and it does help, I stopped more for financial reasons.

Collected my prescription today and limited my intake to 1 tablet!! Off for a walk just now then back to work later.

I'm finding hard to talk to friends and family just now. They're getting frustrated because they want to help but I just close down and become a brick wall. I get it's frustrating for them, I'm just finding it hard to express what's happening in my head.

1 day at a time is the way ahead just now.

Good on ya mate. Hope some light starts to creep into the darkness soon for you.

Captain Canada

I've been at absolute rock bottom with anxiety and depression and things can get better even if it seems like they never will.

Before I go on to the next bit, I know everyone is different and will find that certain things work or don't work for them.

I tried medication which worked for a while, hypnotherapy, NLP, herbal medicine, homeopathy, counselling and CBT over the course of 10 years.

The thing that clicked for me was when a friend who had suffered similar problems helped me disassociate myself from negative thoughts I was having. Those thoughts were as a result of habit and conditioning and when I realised this, things started to turn around quickly for me.

Like I say, different things will work for different people, but I found something that was a great help to me.

I hope everyone on here who's suffering finds what's right for them and can start on the road to feeling better.

Got a cryptic message from my mates Mrs last night and I thought they'd had a weird spat.

It didn't sit right though and as the morning grew today I felt more and more unconformtable with it.

I called her at at ten and she was in bits. Took his own life on Wednesday morning. Everyone thought he was happy.

Got a cryptic message from my mates Mrs last night and I thought they'd had a weird spat.

It didn't sit right though and as the morning grew today I felt more and more unconformtable with it.

I called her at at ten and she was in bits. Took his own life on Wednesday morning. Everyone thought he was happy.

Jesus.

So sad to hear about your friend iron. Just goes to show how fragile we can be while putting on the show that all is well. Thoughts are with you and his family. The worst thing is the family will now probably tear themselves up trying to look for clues they missed when in all likelihood, there were none. Such a sad state of affairs for all left behind when a poor souls takes their own life.

Highlights to me the need to seek help as soon as possible

So sad to hear about your friend iron. Just goes to show how fragile we can be while putting on the show that all is well. Thoughts are with you and his family. The worst thing is the family will now probably tear themselves up trying to look for clues they missed when in all likelihood, there were none. Such a sad state of affairs for all left behind when a poor souls takes their own life.

Highlights to me the need to seek help as soon as possible

It's been a horrible day. His wife asked me not to tell anyone until Monday but R.I.P. messages started appearing on his Facebook quicker than she could delete them. I had to call a few choice people as I didn't think it was right for them to find out on Facebook. 5 calls of a nature that I've never had to make before. Everyone I've spoken to today shared that they thought he was happy(his wife included). The calls kept me going and when my Mrs took my boy out this afternoon i went to bed because I didn't know what else to do. Stupid I know.

I really wish I'd seen signs but ultimately I don't think I'd have had any influence. He apparently had an "episode" on Tuesday and was admitted to a psychiatric institution, and later released. If he fooled the doctors then he was certainly clever enough to fool the rest of us.

This is a guy who was mortgage free, with a beautiful wife and two kids (16/22). You just can't pin point why this illness gets inside people.

If anyone's reading this and having thoughts of going down the same road as my mate, ****ing talk to someone. Tell people how you feel. Get help NOW.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I only posted once on this thread before but it's back and out of nowhere. Wish I knew how to deal with it, what to say etc etc. All you can do is re-aasure the person but how do you deal with it when they have the guilt trips that they are letting everyone down etc. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I'm not even the one suffering but I feel bad enough.

Starting to come to the conclusion that there isn't really a cure for my depression and that it's simply something I'll need to accept as part of my life. I honestly believe this is the best way forward.

For the fortunate few, behavioural therapy or medication might help or even completely cure depression, but it's definitely not the case for me. I've tried both CBT and Citalopram and in truth they've done nothing. I maybe saw brief elements of progress on the medication but really there was no long term benefits and it wasn't making me any happier overall.

My brain is hardwired a particular way. I inherited a bad batch of genes. No amount of pills or therapy will be able to change that. I was just dealt a bad hand in life. It's actually quite 'liberating' being able to finally accept that this is how it will be and I can stop filling my head with false hopes of there being a cure.

Starting to come to the conclusion that there isn't really a cure for my depression and that it's simply something I'll need to accept as part of my life. I honestly believe this is the best way forward.

For the fortunate few, behavioural therapy or medication might help or even completely cure depression, but it's definitely not the case for me. I've tried both CBT and Citalopram and in truth they've done nothing. I maybe saw brief elements of progress on the medication but really there was no long term benefits and it wasn't making me any happier overall.

My brain is hardwired a particular way. I inherited a bad batch of genes. No amount of pills or therapy will be able to change that. I was just dealt a bad hand in life. It's actually quite 'liberating' being able to finally accept that this is how it will be and I can stop filling my head with false hopes of there being a cure.

Keep working with your doctor, is it possible that there is some medication out there that would help.

You should not have to accept this, keep talking to friends and family, it does help.

Citalopram didn't do a thing for me. Tell the doc its not working. It took around 6 different types before i found the best one. It doesn't make me the happiest guy on the planet but it certainly helps to decrease the negative stuff in my head.

Never accept that depressed is just the way you are, I've not been myself since around 2010 but I will get back to my old self one day rather than having people thinking I'm just a negative sour faced wierdo who doesn't like anyone :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Straightfromtheheart

No posted on this thread for ages

I'm finally hoping to go back to work soon with some reasonable adjustments working with remploy. Still on 30mg of citalopram feeling not too bad atm. I've been trying to get myself out the house most days and keeping myself busy. In the last couple of months I've had a few friends admit to themselves that they are feeling depressed and have managed to try help them make positive steps.

Does Fluoxetine stop working after a while?

Interesting that folk say it can cause lethargy etc as I was hoping it'd have the opposite effect.

I am on 20mg (and have been for over a year) but have taken to having the odd drink during the week, can't be bothered with exercise now (which I need) and I'm irritable as heck. May be just circumstances of life at the moment but I'm not sure it's doing a huge amount for me which scares me as I wonder how bad I could be if I wasn't on it?

Edited by Swanny17

Does Fluoxetine stop working after a while?

Interesting that folk say it can cause lethargy etc as I was hoping it'd have the opposite effect.

I am on 20mg (and have been for over a year) but have taken to having the odd drink during the week, can't be bothered with exercise now (which I need) and I'm irritable as heck. May be just circumstances of life at the moment but I'm not sure it's doing a huge amount for me which scares me as I wonder how bad I could be if I wasn't on it?

Could be any number of reasons whey it's not working just now.

Alcohol can affect anti-depressants, Stress can cause breakthrough symptoms of depression. Metabolism can decrease with age meaning less of the drug is absorbed etc. Entirely possible you've been misdiagnosed as well. Go to the docs though, if it's not currently working there's not much point taking it.

Edit: Still take it until speaking to a GP/Psychiatrist though! :lol:

Edited by gjcc