depression

chester copperpot

Салатные палочки

Cheers for the advice folks. I had no problem sharing my thoughts on here as it's fairly anonymous but if I could adopt the same mindset with say, a GP, then that would help.

I knew this was certainly the place to do it though. I've had a couple of wee conversations with folk at work where I've tried to let on that I think I may be suffering from some disorder but it sort of gets laughed off which I hate. That I think is the hardest part is I don't think anyone will take me seriously as I'm only 21 and generally am a happy go lucky type of guy. I even refuse to believe it myself sometimes.

Thanks again though. [emoji106]

Mate if you have a good gp, you will be surprised by how supportive they will be. I opened up to my gp last month and started on fluoxetine and it has changed me massively. Go sooner rather than later you will wonder why you didn't go before [emoji106]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Cheers for the advice folks. I had no problem sharing my thoughts on here as it's fairly anonymous but if I could adopt the same mindset with say, a GP, then that would help.

I knew this was certainly the place to do it though. I've had a couple of wee conversations with folk at work where I've tried to let on that I think I may be suffering from some disorder but it sort of gets laughed off which I hate. That I think is the hardest part is I don't think anyone will take me seriously as I'm only 21 and generally am a happy go lucky type of guy. I even refuse to believe it myself sometimes.

Thanks again though. :thumbsup:

GPs are by their very nature, anonymous - and have heard this stuff time and time again. It is very common - it's only around people like your workers that you'd think depression and other mental health issues were rare/don't exist. They are widespread and common and account for about 30% of Doctors appointments.

Do yourself a massive favour and go and speak to your Doc. I started having issues around your age but ignored them or tried to self-fix and probably made things much worse.

This might help: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/how-to-talk-to-your-gp-about-your-mental-health.pdf?view=Standard

GPs are by their very nature, anonymous - and have heard this stuff time and time again. It is very common - it's only around people like your workers that you'd think depression and other mental health issues were rare/don't exist. They are widespread and common and account for about 30% of Doctors appointments.

Do yourself a massive favour and go and speak to your Doc. I started having issues around your age but ignored them or tried to self-fix and probably made things much worse.

This might help: http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/content/assets/PDF/publications/how-to-talk-to-your-gp-about-your-mental-health.pdf?view=Standard

Enjoyed reading that link mate. Gave a good list of symptoms there too all but one of which I can safely say I've experienced a lot lately.

• 4 months later...

Bump...........hated the fact this was on page 30 something

I thought about this thread today when I saw and posted on the "malfunctions" topic.

Good bump.

• 4 weeks later...
Maiden Gorgie

Just thought i would give this thread another wee bump. Was thinking about it earlier today after a GP appointment. Doing really well just now and hope others are getting the help or support they need.

Always an inspiring read to hear the brutally honest stories of the sometimes successful, sometimes not, fight against a horrible condition. Ive detailed elsewhere of the issues I go through with my son and whilst not the same it is certainly one of those under the surface conditions that people struggle to understand anything is wrong. 

Good luck to alll.

I was prescribed anti-deppresants called Fluoxitine, from July 2014 until January of this year. I was diagnosed in 2012 but I held off taking medication as I'm not one for taking meds tbh. The first week of the medication was hell, rather than feeling what I can only describe as, can't/could't be arsed with anyone or anything, the medication made me really angry!! I felt when I was taking them I developed Misophonia (which is an anger disorder triggered by specific sounds). From when I stopped the medication I'm in a better place. I would advise anybody whom is considering discussing with their GP (which will almost definitely be concluded with a prescription) to really take note of mood swings if they occur, as I ended up in a bit of bother losing the rag, under their influence

• 3 months later...

Has anyone taken Citalopram?

I was at the doctor last week after feeling horrendous again and he prescribed me it as he says my anxiety really bad.

I started taking it today and I've had some really nasty side effects and ended up having to come home from work in a total state of panic. I've been lightheaded and felt a bit sick which the pharmacist told me to expect, but I've also had a horrible feeling of panic, anxiety, confusion etc that left me in a complete state. I had to get a lift home and leave my car as I didnt feel in control. My head still feels really strange and almost like my senses are heightened and I haven't eaten all day. Anyone else experienced this and if so is it worth battling through to see long term effects? My worry is my anxiety comes and goes in waves and I can generally function on a day to day basis even if I am a bit nervous about things a lot of the time. I'm worried I take this and become dependant on it when I don't actually need it. Doctor said to skip it for a couple of days and then take it every second day until it soaks in but I'm not so sure.

Edited by Shapes

Салатные палочки

I was at the doctor last week after feeling horrendous again and he prescribed me it as he says my anxiety really bad.

I started taking it today and I've had some really nasty side effects and ended up having to come home from work in a total state of panic. I've been lightheaded and felt a bit sick which the pharmacist told me to expect, but I've also had a horrible feeling of panic, anxiety, confusion etc that left me in a complete state. I had to get a lift home and leave my car as I didnt feel in control. My head still feels really strange and almost like my senses are heightened and I haven't eaten all day. Anyone else experienced this and if so is it worth battling through to see long term effects? My worry is my anxiety comes and goes in waves and I can generally function on a day to day basis even if I am a bit nervous about things a lot of the time. I'm worried I take this and become dependant on it when I don't actually need it. Doctor said to skip it for a couple of days and then take it every second day until it soaks in but I'm not so sure.

Dont worry about it, you will feel like that for a couple of days but don't stop taking them, you will begin to feel the benefit soon.  I would give it til Thursday/Friday and you won't feel anything when you have taken them.  I was lucky enough that my girlfriend had been on Citalopram before and told me what to expect.  I was prescribed Fluoxetine, I was told that they will make me feel strange for the first couple of days and prescribed me beta blockers with them.  I started them at the weekend to avoid having to go to work like that.  I took the first one and honestly felt a bit out my face.  I felt really sick but I lay down and went to sleep for a couple of hours and felt okay afterwards, same the next day.  The third day I felt a bit panicky but that passed really quick.  After that I didn't feel any side effects at all.  

My advice would be if you are working tomorrow and the next day then take them when you get home from work and if you feel dodgy go for a lie down.  Don't let that put you off taking them cos they will work over time.  Took me about three months to feel the reall effects.  been on them for about a year now and I'm going back to the docs tomorrow to see if I can get my dose reduced with a view to coming off them completely.  

Was on Citalopram for about four months last year.

When I first started taking it I got headaches, dry mouth and sweating heavily when sleeping. Also felt a bit zoned out at times. After a week or so the symptoms calmed down and there wasn't any issues after that.

I stopped taking them suddenly at the four month mark (stupid of me as you're meant to gradually come off them by reducing dosage and frequency) and the side effects were woeful. Felt shite for days. Do not come off them abruptly whatever you do.

They didn't work for me as I was still as depressed/anxious as I was before I started and I didn't notice any real changes in my life. That's not to say it won't work for you as everyone is different. Good luck either way.

Personally I've just accepted the depression/anxiety to be part of my life. Not the best approach by any means but I've tried councelling and some of the medications with no real difference. Some people are just wired this way through genetics/upbringing I guess.

If you can, take a few days of work to allow the initial side effects to ease and the medication to begin to work.

Stress free rest will allow the recovery to begin.

All the best, bud.

I've decided I'm not going to take it. I just don't feel it's the right thing for me having spent most of the night researching it. I've been seeing a therapist and that's been doing me good. I think my setback was due to not having had an appointment for a while as she's been off.

Generally I can manage my anxiety on a day to day basis and the doctor doesn't think I'm depressed as my mood is generally ok. I go through low periods but not like I used to a few years ago.

I'm just really wary of taking these as I'm worried about the effect it will have on my mood e.g. causing apathy and I think I'd prefer to try go down the natural route.

I'm off on annual leave the rest of the week and going down to Manchester tomorrow so hoping I'm feeling better by then as I'm still being sick and feeling jittery. Then I'm going to see the doctor again next week to chat about alternatives.

Today just hasn't been a nice day at all :(

Albert Tatlock

When I first started on Citralopam, the second or third day I had a really strange sensation in my head. It was like a tightening feeling. Only lasted a day tho. Got the night sweats and terrible sleeps for a few weeks. Then everything settled down. Am now on half the dose I was first prescribed.

Shapes, if you don't feel right in the morning, take a couple of days off, and as the other poster said, take your tablet at night.

All the best

Was on citalopram for OCD but wasn't effective. Never had the negative effects some have described when I first took it. Now on sertraline, things marginally better

• 2 weeks later...

This time every year until January i sink into a deep depression . The feelgood factor of the festive activities make me want to cry . I hope the Hearts winning will at least take my mind of things.

Thought I might bump this as we are coming to a time of year when a lot of 'part time' sufferers crash.

I suffered a period of deep clinical depression 14 years ago following a traumatic incident at work. I was rock bottom, had to take an early retirement package, drank half of it and spent 10 months a statistic waiting to happen.

A further episode forced me to get counselling and medication of all types until I found the pill that suited me ( you may have to try several) The counselling eventually paid off and I have been stable for the most part for 10 years, with the occasional wee crash which I have learned to control and get help for.

There are plenty of brave people who have posted here but there will be dozens of others who keep it to themselves. I would urge you to find someone you can trust and tell them. That in itself is a massive help, just knowing that someone understands.Dont pick someone who clearly won't by the way, even your nearest and dearest might not necessarily be the one to help, in fact they are often unknowing contributors and you can talk to them about it when the time is right and you are strong enough to fix things.

Remember the pills, although they do help some people to varying degrees, don't solve the core problem. Sometimes they just put off the immediate need to resolve it and that's okay until you are strong enough. You will still have to work through the core problem eventually, whether that is through counselling or making a life change depends on what the scale and nature of the problem is/was.

I have an appointment later today. I am feeling pretty low and anxious and nervous and I have insomnia. No particular trigger has happened other than a wee bit work pressure has been lately. But I have a pretty decent boss and we are past our busy period so I can take a bit of time to get back on some meds and let them work their magic and help out a little for a couple of months. I know what the core problem is and I am going to have to be strong and sort it out in the next few weeks but it means a tough decision which isn't an easy one to take at this time of year.

I hope someone reads this and gets something from it. Whether it's just to pick the phone up and make an appointment, or to speak to your boss, or your partner, or your mate, or the bloke next door. Just take the first step and get a wee bit help. Sometimes just a long talk will do the job.

Take care everyone.

Edited by CollyWolly

If you think you're in trouble, the best thing you can do is to seek help as soon as possible. I left it 3 weeks or so after I "knew" and that was a truly horrendous time of my life. Looking back it's incredible to see how low I was - the things I posted on this thread don't even sound like me. I've not taken a fluox in two months, and I've not been in councilling for over a year. I'm a new person now. I'm stronger than I've ever been.

For anybody who is a sufferer, seek help as soon as you can. There is a way out of it all. You won't believe it but I promise there's plenty of people around you that care - many of them you won't even know yet. They will help, and you'll realise just how bloody amazing you are when you do overcome it. Stay safe and good luck.

My mate prepared me for it.

In the first few weeks I had periods where I was zoned out completely, I got sweats, trembles, flashes of visuals like everything going black and white for a second.

My appetite shrank, anxiety actually increased for a bit, I got pretty emotional and I was shocked at how harsh it was.

Then, peace, it all just stopped. Except I burp like feck all day when I forget to eat with one.

My doctor told me there are a lot of reasons for prescribing Citalopram. In my case, there's a hereditary chemical imbalance and I'll probably need to take it the rest of my days- but fine by me, I feel good!

If you can, stick it out, allow your brain a month to adjust, but if it's still not working for you ask for a different one- don't give up ;)

Edited by Smithee

Slevinkelevra

I'm really struggling at the minute, don't know what's up with me, feel terrible everyday, started gambling heavily, not leaving money to feed or look after myself. Can't seem to shake this feeling of emptiness and constantly looking for something to make me happy. Looking at other people and wishing I had their lives. Feel ashamed even writing this, even started to ask questions like would I be missed if I wasn't here. Struggling to sleep and it's affecting my work.but to ashamed to tell them I'm struggling, I'm usually outgoing and always smiling but it's hard to keep the up the act. trying to tell myself that it's just this time of year and I'm alone that's making me feel like this, but I'm starting to worry myself. I know I should go to the doctors but I feel stupid :-(

I'm really struggling at the minute, don't know what's up with me, feel terrible everyday, started gambling heavily, not leaving money to feed or look after myself. Can't seem to shake this feeling of emptiness and constantly looking for something to make me happy. Looking at other people and wishing I had their lives. Feel ashamed even writing this, even started to ask questions like would I be missed if I wasn't here. Struggling to sleep and it's affecting my work.but to ashamed to tell them I'm struggling, I'm usually outgoing and always smiling but it's hard to keep the up the act. trying to tell myself that it's just this time of year and I'm alone that's making me feel like this, but I'm starting to worry myself. I know I should go to the doctors but I feel stupid :-(

Please see a doctor.

You're not stupid. Sometimes we just need a bit assistance to get through a particularly rough time.

Please see a doctor.

You're not stupid. Sometimes we just need a bit assistance to get through a particularly rough time.

This.

It might be tough to hear S but you're currently suffering from mental illness.

There's nothing wrong with you yourself, you're the victim of a condition and it's important to start telling yourself this.

It's normal to have such low self worth that you don't want to bother anyone and "it's just me being pathetic" and all that jazz, but take it from someone who's been where you are and is on the right path - they can help.

Doing nothing is not an option, whatever it takes, get over that hurdle- you'll thank yourself in the future

while i wasn't gambling, i had been drinking pretty heavily and didn't really care too much about myself, or even my own safety on some occasions.  i felt like this for ages, and the bit about feeling stupid really resonates with me.  this built up and culminated in  massive panic attack while i was singing at a charity do.  was so bad i was literally swallowing back down the vomit while trying to finish a song.  ran off stage after that and was locked in the loo throwing up for about half an hour,  shaking and crying with no idea what had just happened as it seemingly came from nowhere.  luckily i had a couple of friends with me at the time, who looked after me, took me home and stayed with me.  i also slept like the dead that night, only waking when my mates started to wake me.  they'd called my sister who got me an appointment with the doctor that afternoon.  i clearly couldn't ignore it any longer and was in the doctors for best part of an hour, with my sister who came along in case i done my usual "its ok" speech.
i was shaking and crying and talking rubbish at the doctor, trying to make out everything was ok, it was just a one off type thing, but the doctors was great and saw through the bloody lot.

there is no shame in speaking with the doctor, my only regret is that i left it as long as i did before facing up to things.   i'm lucky as i had points in time i was able to pinpoint where the whole thing was coming from although i've always had a propensity towards melancholy.  not everyone has triggers as depression is just once of those things that can creep up on you from nowhere which is worse.  when it comes from nowhere i think its even harder to face up to as you "should" be ok, not too bad a life, usually got pals and so you feel guilty and stupid.  please don't because the docs will have seen it all.  you aren't stupid or a bit daft... you are ill and will need a helping hand to get through it.  drugs might not be the answer, it might be counselling that will help most, but you owe it to yourself to see what help is out there.

good luck

Slevinkelevra

Thanks for the replies folks, I finally opened up to someone close to me and everything came flooding out, in fact I don't even know where half of it came from, stuff I wasn't aware was even bothering me. Anyways I've made an appointment with the doctor, but already feel a bit better after not lying and pretending that I'm ok, still a bit scared, but I know I need to sort it . Thanks again, some great people on this board

Thanks for the replies folks, I finally opened up to someone close to me and everything came flooding out, in fact I don't even know where half of it came from, stuff I wasn't aware was even bothering me. Anyways I've made an appointment with the doctor, but already feel a bit better after not lying and pretending that I'm ok, still a bit scared, but I know I need to sort it . Thanks again, some great people on this board

Pleased to hear it.

If you ever want a rant to a faceless nobody then you're always welcome to pm me. I did try to pm you today but I think your inbox is full.

I've been through similar and I know it can be defeated. Sometimes it takes longer than we'd like. But stick in.

:)

The doctor might give you drugs. Just bear in mind that they don't cure you. They help you manage. The cure is in doing what you just did. Talk about it. Talk about it often enough and to the right people. No one will give you the answer though. No one can. However the good news is that the answers will become apparent to you. Then, the hardest part comes. Following through on what the answers are. Usually it will mean stopping putting yourself in certain situations in some way. It will mean change of some kind for you. You won't be able to do it until you know what it is.

Also available by PM if you need

Good luck.

Edited by CollyWolly

Citalopram, stay away from that shit Shapes, My ex was given that from her GP. Didn't do her any good at all. I think it heightened her anxiety issues among other things. She is still in nick and thats been 5 1/2 years now. 

really pleased to hear you're making steps, baby steps are the way.  i was terrified to open up an dlike you, all this random shit came out as well that i wasn't even aware of.  the hardest part is opening up so this is a massive move in the right direction.  it's still not going to be easy and you'll have many more bad days than good ones to start with, but talk talk talk and talk some more. 

you can do this, and it will get better, even though it doesn't feel that way right now.  we're all behind each other in this thread, and i received a lot of PMs from people who didn't want to talk here, offering support and such.  this thread was a godsend to me early on.

Citalopram, stay away from that shit Shapes, My ex was given that from her GP. Didn't do her any good at all. I think it heightened her anxiety issues among other things. She is still in nick and thats been 5 1/2 years now.

Not good advice imo, different med work for different people. Citalopram changed my life

Question - I'm a full-time permanent employee for a large financial services company. If I make an appointment with my GP, which lets say keeps me out of the office for a few hours (travelling there and back to the GP, the appointment itself etc.), do I have to work back the time that I missed?

Question - I'm a full-time permanent employee for a large financial services company. If I make an appointment with my GP, which lets say keeps me out of the office for a few hours (travelling there and back to the GP, the appointment itself etc.), do I have to work back the time that I missed?

without being funny, of course you should

It depends on your employer. The sector is irrelevant, though companies in sectors tend to have similar policies.

I am in financial services, and you are encouraged to make an appointment outwork workong hours. If you can't though, you get a maximum of three hours, or however many hours needed to take you to your normal working day (say, seven hours), whichever is lower - or something along those lines.

The Wrinkly Ninja

This is what puts me off making appointments with a GP. I work 9-5 so the only time I can get an appointment is during working hours and in the past my manager has always requested that I work the missed hours back.

Another annoying thing, called up my GP recently and they are fully booked for over three weeks, just told them to leave it. They said you can always call early morning to see if there are any cancellations for that day, which is great, but that means telling my work on extremely short notice, which I've done previously and my manager wasn't too happy with that either.

Phone your gp in the morning and ask for the next available appointment, even if it is 3 weeks.

Some GP's open early some days or have later clinics. If you get an appointment for 0800 how late for work are you going to be?

Sounds like, to you, you have lots of reasons for not making an appointment........

.......which sounds, to me, like there are lots of reasons that you should make one!

Best of luck.....let us know how your appointment goes!

Edited by The Wrinkly Ninja

Just to add my tuppence worth about Citalopram - I've been taking it for the last three years and it has worked wonders.

There's no general rule about medication. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

Phone your gp in the morning and ask for the next available appointment, even if it is 3 weeks.

Some GP's open early some days or have later clinics. If you get an appointment for 0800 how late for work are you going to be?

Sounds like, to you, you have lots of reasons for not making an appointment........

.......which sounds, to me, like there are lots of reasons that you should make one!

Best of luck.....let us know how your appointment goes!

Well said, that's a huge truth - it's easy to find reasons not to do something that you don't really want to do.

That first hurdle seems huge, but just do it. As above, make the appointment.

Just to add my tuppence worth about Citalopram - I've been taking it for the last three years and it has worked wonders.

There's no general rule about medication. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

You me and Limmy - he got pretty evangelical about it for a while

• 3 weeks later...
The Future's Maroon

I didnt know if I should post this, but if anyone remembers I have been on this thread in recent years and let spill all the issues I was having.

The support I got on here, and via PM from some was remarkable, as I said at the time I felt I was being silly posting my troubles in here but it really helped me. I can only urge anyone reading this thread with doubts about posting...its amazing how a football forum and the members can be a help, a release so to speak...don't bottle it up as it only gets worse, I would say speak to a friend, family member or here, the anonymity certainly helps.

Anyway, I am now finally off all medication and although the coming off was really hard I feel so much better with my lot now. I am working away in a new job, seeing a nice lass and no more money troubles. One thing I will say is although all is good right now, I know it could go back to the dark days but at least now I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Maiden Gorgie

I didnt know if I should post this, but if anyone remembers I have been on this thread in recent years and let spill all the issues I was having.

The support I got on here, and via PM from some was remarkable, as I said at the time I felt I was being silly posting my troubles in here but it really helped me. I can only urge anyone reading this thread with doubts about posting...its amazing how a football forum and the members can be a help, a release so to speak...don't bottle it up as it only gets worse, I would say speak to a friend, family member or here, the anonymity certainly helps.

Anyway, I am now finally off all medication and although the coming off was really hard I feel so much better with my lot now. I am working away in a new job, seeing a nice lass and no more money troubles. One thing I will say is although all is good right now, I know it could go back to the dark days but at least now I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Great news TFM, good to hear :thumbsup:

glad to hear you're on the up TFM.  this thread has helped so many, myself included.  stay strong mate, and hope this is now your natural state for you 

• 3 weeks later...

Started back on the old Citalopram on Friday, 20mg a day.

So far no real side effects. Feel a bit sick now and then and seem to be waking up throughout the night, but overall it seems fine.

GP told me to get booked in with the Phlebotomist to get some blood tests done to check my thyroid levels etc.

Does anyone know if they discuss the blood test results with you there and then? Or will I not see the results until I speak with my GP a few weeks later?

Салатные палочки

So far no real side effects. Feel a bit sick now and then and seem to be waking up throughout the night, but overall it seems fine.

GP told me to get booked in with the Phlebotomist to get some blood tests done to check my thyroid levels etc.

Does anyone know if they discuss the blood test results with you there and then? Or will I not see the results until I speak with my GP a few weeks later?

I would imagine they would need to send them to a lab first so you may not get the results until you go back to your GP.  

The Future's Maroon

If I remember rightly the Citalopram takes a wee while to start taking effect, its not a "straight away" thing...maybe a week or two - your GP should have advised of this.

You will need to wait around five days for the results of the blood tests, from my experience with them (not via aPhlebotomist).

The Future's Maroon

Great news TFM, good to hear :thumbsup:

glad to hear you're on the up TFM.  this thread has helped so many, myself included.  stay strong mate, and hope this is now your natural state for you 

Thanks, although I have just been off work with a really bad respotary infection where I lost my voice, had a sore throat/REALLY bad cough, breathing problems, couldnt swallow properly and severe lack of sleep due to the coughing - this has lasted the last two weeks (still in probation) and due to go back tomorrow - I have a Doctors Line but don't think they cover you as much as they used too...plus the work have been punting folk left right and centre of late so I am not looking forward to it tomorrow?

I work in a call centre/admin job....had went in a few days when ill, went in one day and was really bad, should never have left my house, ended up in a meeting where the dry heat caused me to start coughing so bad I had to run out and throw up in toilets (got sent home)....I had asked to be put on offline work and was refused....this was when I could hardly speak and coughing constantly like a seal....still wanted me to go on the phone?

I have a really bad feeling about this as also had time off in August due to a family bereavement, and had a stomach bug when I was off a couple of days - so yes I have had a few weeks off in the last seven months.

If I remember rightly the Citalopram takes a wee while to start taking effect, its not a "straight away" thing...maybe a week or two - your GP should have advised of this.

You will need to wait around five days for the results of the blood tests, from my experience with them (not via aPhlebotomist).

I was just talking about side effects, which for me (based on the last time I took Citalopram) happened within a couple days of taking it. I do understand that the actual positive effects of Citalopram will take atleast a few weeks.

The Future's Maroon

I was just talking about side effects, which for me (based on the last time I took Citalopram) happened within a couple days of taking it. I do understand that the actual positive effects of Citalopram will take atleast a few weeks.

Ahh sorry, as in the feeling sick as a dog every morning...think it was a few days with me.

Ahh sorry, as in the feeling sick as a dog every morning...think it was a few days with me.

Aye.

As for the blood test results, do they post them out to you or what?

Or is it just a case of you make an appointment with your GP a week later and they will walk through the results with you?

The Future's Maroon

Aye.

As for the blood test results, do they post them out to you or what?

Or is it just a case of you make an appointment with your GP a week later and they will walk through the results with you?

An appointment about a week later with me, sure I have heard some can just arrange a phone call from the GP.