depression

chester copperpot

Maiden Gorgie

Does Fluoxetine stop working after a while?

Interesting that folk say it can cause lethargy etc as I was hoping it'd have the opposite effect.

I am on 20mg (and have been for over a year) but have taken to having the odd drink during the week, can't be bothered with exercise now (which I need) and I'm irritable as heck. May be just circumstances of life at the moment but I'm not sure it's doing a huge amount for me which scares me as I wonder how bad I could be if I wasn't on it?

Go to the docs though, if it's not currently working there's not much point taking it.

Edit: Still take it until speaking to a GP/Psychiatrist though! :lol:

As gjcc says above, go back to your doctor, it is entirely possible your are on the wrong meds. I started on Fluox but it was giving me the shakes and i could not sleep a wink. My GP changed my medication to Setraline and it was much better. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

I was on mirtazapine for a couple of months and it was doing nothing. Went back and got duloxetine which was ruining me. Wasn't eating at all, couldn't sleep, lethargic. Had that bad an effect on me I tried to end myself. 

Been on sertraline for a month now and it's been a miracle. Best I've felt since probably summer last year. 

Keep fighting. 

It affects far more people that anyone realises. It's a particularly taboo subject amongst men and I'm glad of anything that raises awareness of such a debilitating, indiscriminating illness.

And for any naysayers and dismissive types out there, it is a tiny, tiny, sliver between waking up one morning, putting the alarm off and deciding to have a sneaky day in bed because you can't be bothered to not being able to function at all through depression.

Edited by pcw1874

Been on sertraline for a month now and it's been a miracle.

I'm on 200mg of that stuff and whilst I feel like its helped stop the really bad stuff, I still feel generally quite rubbish a lot of the time. It really makes me tired and gives me regular headaches.

I was on mirtazapine for a couple of months and it was doing nothing. Went back and got duloxetine which was ruining me. Wasn't eating at all, couldn't sleep, lethargic. Had that bad an effect on me I tried to end myself. 

Been on sertraline for a month now and it's been a miracle. Best I've felt since probably summer last year. 

Keep fighting. 

Very common to change the meds but worth while when you find the right one.

I'm on 200mg of that stuff and whilst I feel like its helped stop the really bad stuff, I still feel generally quite rubbish a lot of the time. It really makes me tired and gives me regular headaches.

I'm only on 100mg at the moment but did notice that headaches are more frequent. Would usually take painkillers for it but a bit wary about taking them now after my last turn. An hour's kip normally cures them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would pitch up on this thread. I'm not sure if I am depressed but I feel so down and alone at the minute.

In the last couple of months there has been a complete family breakdown. Long story short, my Mrs is refusing to allow my family access to our kids due to finding out stuff they were saying about her in confidence to me (that I disagreed with). I backed her up verbally and continue to do so but I do not agree with her stance on the kids that if they can't respect the mother they don't deserve to be around the kids. I am just furious with everyone now for allowing it to get to this stage and I am caught in the middle of it all, getting flack from both sides. Now her family is involved, saying horrible things about me and my family I don't agree with. Complete and utter meltdown.

I'm not one to blame everyone else but I genuinely haven't done anything wrong on this occasion.

I've been given an ultimatum, the Mrs or my family. At this minute I am furious with everyone. If it wasn't for the fact my son's first Christmas and first birthday was coming up I think I'd have walked by now. But then I never want to be apart from him.

On top of this I am working full time, running around after an 11 month old and generally doing everything in the house as the Mrs is on crutches at the minute. I take our other kid to activities three nights a week. I have a Uni dissertation due on the 20th on January and no time to do it. Add in the stress of Christmas and it's all seeming too much.

Thought I would pitch up on this thread. I'm not sure if I am depressed but I feel so down and alone at the minute.

In the last couple of months there has been a complete family breakdown. Long story short, my Mrs is refusing to allow my family access to our kids due to finding out stuff they were saying about her in confidence to me (that I disagreed with). I backed her up verbally and continue to do so but I do not agree with her stance on the kids that if they can't respect the mother they don't deserve to be around the kids. I am just furious with everyone now for allowing it to get to this stage and I am caught in the middle of it all, getting flack from both sides. Now her family is involved, saying horrible things about me and my family I don't agree with. Complete and utter meltdown.

I'm not one to blame everyone else but I genuinely haven't done anything wrong on this occasion.

I've been given an ultimatum, the Mrs or my family. At this minute I am furious with everyone. If it wasn't for the fact my son's first Christmas and first birthday was coming up I think I'd have walked by now. But then I never want to be apart from him.

On top of this I am working full time, running around after an 11 month old and generally doing everything in the house as the Mrs is on crutches at the minute. I take our other kid to activities three nights a week. I have a Uni dissertation due on the 20th on January and no time to do it. Add in the stress of Christmas and it's all seeming too much.

That sounds a real nightmare mate. It also seems as if everyone around you is behaving really badly and only seeing as far as the ends of their own noses. I don't have any useful advice on how to resolve this, nor whether you are actually suffering from depression. All I would say is that I think you should go to your university tutor, or professor or whoever is most appropriate, let them know the situation and the terrible stresses that it is putting you under, and ask for more time to complete your dissertation.

I didn't go to uni, but have friends and loved ones who did, as well as friends who are lecturers themselves, and I get the impression that there is usually something that can be done in situations as dire as the one you describe.

Hope it all works our OK for you in the end, or better still as soon as possible...

Your university will have an Extenuating Circumstances procedure. Speak to your Programme Leader about it - you should be able to get an extension on the deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot I had posted here. It's probably more stress than depression tbh.

Not helped today by the Mrs Collapsing on the high street and ending up at hospital.

Home now thankfully. The wee one is traumatised though.

Forgot I had posted here. It's probably more stress than depression tbh.

Not helped today by the Mrs Collapsing on the high street and ending up at hospital.

Home now thankfully. The wee one is traumatised though.

Fekin he'll!! Hope she's alright? Best wishes.

My heart goes out to all you lads and lasses out there and hope you get through this tough period. I'm no stranger to depression and it's blighted large parts of my life in the past . I've been absolutely fine for a good few years now and hope to keep that up. Hope you all do the same.

All the best to those of you who've struggled, and continue to.

This thread has helped me; if you aren't doing so well there are plenty of understanding ears on here.

Merry Christmas.

I wish you all the best at this time of year. And I really commend you for bringing out your story on here.

I lost a good friend this year who posted on this thread eaelier. It's the most misunderstood and hideous illness.

I wish I could be so brave as to post my own experiences with this horrible and misunderstood illness. But I can't.

I just hope that everyone who checks in here is dealt with the most considerate responses.

Don't take this as a subject to be feared or not confronted.

It's big and it's really, really hard for all involved.

chester copperpot

I have toiled these past few weeks with it.

I have stayed off the bevvy all christmas so far and the Mrs thinks she has done something wrong and I just can't bring myself to tell her about it. I normally get really really quiet when it happens and I dunno if it's an acute reaction to losing my old man 2 yrs ago (this part of the year is hard as it was his favourite part) or the fact my mum has just came through chemo herself but I just dont feel chirstmassy at all.

Got my own 2 kids coming until the new year tmrw and I am trying really hard to try snap out of it before I pick them up tmrw.

Reading through this though is therapy in itself as its good to know I am not suffering by myself with this.

Can anyone give a very brief description of some of the symptoms of this terrible sounding affliction?

Thanks very much.

Can anyone give a very brief description of some of the symptoms of this terrible sounding affliction?

Thanks very much.

Is it the symptoms of depression you're asking about?

Everyone varies but in my case when I was at my worst:

* I was always tired, but struggled to sleep.

* My mind was always on the go worrying about petty nonsense.

* I felt like every living being in the world hated me.

* I had a brief spell of hallucinations (psychosis) in the form of voices, although that's apparently not very common.

* I'd shut everyone out of my life.

* I struggled to enjoy anything.

* I felt like my life has been a giant failure.

* I didn't want to be here and took 2 overdoses in a day, first time I was away with it, I don't really remember. Second one I chickened out a few hours later and got medical attention, which was obviously the right thing to do, but as I got help, many people have put an "attention seeker" tag on me.

That's roughly my symptoms.

With the right medical attention though I feel like a different person. For the first time in a long time I actually enjoyed Xmas day. I've been enjoying helping my kids with their Lego toys and Xbox games and previously as a result of depression that stuff would have seemed like an inconvenience to me, which is sad, but true.

Edited by Col1874

* I had a brief spell of hallucinations (psychosis) in the form of voices, although that's apparently not very common.

* I didn't want to be here and took 2 overdoses in a day, first time I was away with it, I don't really remember. Second one I chickened out a few hours later and got medical attention, which was obviously the right thing to do, but as I got help, many people have put an "attention seeker" tag on me.

With the right medical attention though I feel like a different person. For the first time in a long time I actually enjoyed Xmas day. I've been enjoying helping my kids with their Lego toys and Xbox games and previously as a result of depression that stuff would have seemed like an inconvenience to me, which is sad, but true.

Thanks Col :thumb:

You struggling with anything Morgan?

Going to seriously consider giving the alcohol a rest after the year as it changes me as a person. I am not violent or anything but for day afterwards I just like shite, snap at my wife and kids and put shite onto my body and don't exercise. I don't particularly enjoy the session enough to justify the way I feel afterwards.

I feel like a different man when I have been off it. Especially if I have been active and excercing

Edited by AlimOzturk

You struggling with anything Morgan?

Going to seriously consider giving the alcohol a rest after the year as it changes me as a person. I am not violent or anything but for day afterwards I just like shite, snap at my wife and kids and put shite onto my body and don't exercise. I don't particularly enjoy the session enough to justify the way I feel afterwards.

I feel like a different man when I have been off it. Especially if I have been active and excercing

No Alim, not at all.

Was just wondering what the symptoms are as we just found out (by mistake from someone we are mutually friends with) that a good friend of ours in Edinburgh has depression. We would never have guessed it but now, in retrospect, she does have terrible highs and then goes really low and quiet for no apparent reason.

Agree with you on the exercise thing though. We have had the flu for 11 days now and before that were on holiday so have not had our daily run for almost three weeks. We feel totally different and a lot more lethargic.

Thanks for asking mate.

Sitting here at my parents house over Christmas and everything should be looking positive but I've never felt so low in my life.

Been looking for a way out of my job for a couple of years but with no success then my gf is offered a position down south so hand my notice in, we sell the house pretty quickly and been offered a job down there. Yet all of it feels like a massive mistake. Her, the move, the job, nothing is making me think this is a positive. We have been looking at houses (we're staying at her parents for the time being) and shes all excited and saying this could be somewhere we settle. But I'm too much of a shitebag to say I don't want any of this anymore. To say I like to keep myself to myself is an understatement. I'm an emotional recluse.

But so long as I put a smile on my face and say I'm fine, the world will keep spinning.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I have notice over the last few years I am starting to do the same.

I am always happy and smiling on the outside but dont feel like that inside, everyone says I am so cheery, but I am not really.

Excuses not to go to friends houses and when the come round to ours I always want them to leave much sooner than they should.

It is like everyone is full of life and interesting and I think I am not.

I feel tired and run down so much, I thought that was my problem, but depression seems to be an obvious option after reading your post.

To all those in a dark place I hope things get better in 2017.

Yip. Stay strong folks, all the best

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

deesidejambo

To all those in a dark place I hope things get better in 2017.

+1. You are not alone. It's such a common thing you are amongst many others who are fighting through it.

Sitting here at my parents house over Christmas and everything should be looking positive but I've never felt so low in my life.

Been looking for a way out of my job for a couple of years but with no success then my gf is offered a position down south so hand my notice in, we sell the house pretty quickly and been offered a job down there. Yet all of it feels like a massive mistake. Her, the move, the job, nothing is making me think this is a positive. We have been looking at houses (we're staying at her parents for the time being) and shes all excited and saying this could be somewhere we settle. But I'm too much of a shitebag to say I don't want any of this anymore. To say I like to keep myself to myself is an understatement. I'm an emotional recluse.

But so long as I put a smile on my face and say I'm fine, the world will keep spinning.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Not someone to tell you what to do or say mate and this is just my opinion.....

You have to say something imo. Might seem hard but in the long run it will save a lot heartache and hurt for you and her.

Good Luck mate

Anyone any experience of Citralopram?

Its often the first medication GP's will prescribe for depression.

For me it was rubbish, no effect at all so I was taken off it and put on another useless anti-depressant. On the plus side there were no negative side effects for me.

Sertraline for me is amazing, but it does make me fairly drowsy at inappropriate times, like at work or today at my in-laws. Can be embarrassing at times. I'm on the max dose though (200mg) so maybe others will handle it better than I can :(

• 5 weeks later...

I am really struggling. Back to doctors for me tomorrow. Fluoxetine didn't work recently, and neither has Citralopram.

Genuinely scared about how bad I feel just now, and the impact it's having on my family.

Anyone any experience of Citralopram?

Its been very positive for me. Helped me out a lot more than I thought it would. Side effects were fairly minimal.

It seems though from reading this thread that everyone seems to react differently.

Get back to the docs Swanny and ask for a referral to Cambridge Street (if you're in Edinburgh). They should be able to help with therapy. I've been referred up there, my doctor thinks it will help nail the type of counselling that I need.

I had a major breakdown last night. Just cracked and off I went in the car. Ended up with my family calling the police because they were worried. When I went home (wasn't planning on it) the police were there and wanted to take me to the royal Edinburgh. They even blocked my car so i couldnt drive away. Very surreal. Didnt go but I spoke to a nurse up there who was excellent. They have 24 hour drop in, just people there you can go chat to if you are at rock bottom.

I'm sure if we all got together nobody would know the things we all suffer from. I have a great job, work for myself and love it, I'm fit and healthy I do a lot of cycling, running and swimming, I don't drink (healthy choice, no previous), never touched a drug and dont smoke. I like a coffee and a cake and I spend too much money in Marks and Spencer and like a small football bet, that's kind of it. I have an amazing family and a tonne of great great friends.

I should be so so grateful for my life.

I just don't particularly like me or life. I've accepted that I'm going to have to battle my mental health for the rest of my days, yesterday it just hit me that I have no fight left and I'm too tired of fighting it. Didn't think I'd see today, but I'm here. I did dig deep and pulled out some fight.

We all have it in us. Poor mental health is a s**t situation to deal with, but get the help. Nothing ever to be ashamed of.

I'll go to the game tonight and vent. That'll help.

Good luck!!

I was actually thinking about this thread tonight.

I always think about this thread on Sunday nights when driving back to work. It was the catalyst behind the thread that I did start tbh. I'm not depressed but more worried.

Get back to the docs Swanny and ask for a referral to Cambridge Street (if you're in Edinburgh). They should be able to help with therapy. I've been referred up there, my doctor thinks it will help nail the type of counselling that I need.

I had a major breakdown last night. Just cracked and off I went in the car. Ended up with my family calling the police because they were worried. When I went home (wasn't planning on it) the police were there and wanted to take me to the royal Edinburgh. They even blocked my car so i couldnt drive away. Very surreal. Didnt go but I spoke to a nurse up there who was excellent. They have 24 hour drop in, just people there you can go chat to if you are at rock bottom.

I'm sure if we all got together nobody would know the things we all suffer from. I have a great job, work for myself and love it, I'm fit and healthy I do a lot of cycling, running and swimming, I don't drink (healthy choice, no previous), never touched a drug and dont smoke. I like a coffee and a cake and I spend too much money in Marks and Spencer and like a small football bet, that's kind of it. I have an amazing family and a tonne of great great friends.

I should be so so grateful for my life.

I just don't particularly like me or life. I've accepted that I'm going to have to battle my mental health for the rest of my days, yesterday it just hit me that I have no fight left and I'm too tired of fighting it. Didn't think I'd see today, but I'm here. I did dig deep and pulled out some fight.

We all have it in us. Poor mental health is a s**t situation to deal with, but get the help. Nothing ever to be ashamed of.

I'll go to the game tonight and vent. That'll help.

Good luck!!

Thanks bud, will certainly ask the doctor tomorrow. Can't continue like this. :sad3:

I am really struggling. Back to doctors for me tomorrow. Fluoxetine didn't work recently, and neither has Citralopram.

Genuinely scared about how bad I feel just now, and the impact it's having on my family.

I can only echo what others have said about Sertraline. Worked a treat for me a few years back. Don't know if you've had them but, if not, certainly worth a try.

All the best.

I had a major breakdown last night. Just cracked and off I went in the car. Ended up with my family calling the police because they were worried. When I went home (wasn't planning on it) the police were there and wanted to take me to the royal Edinburgh. They even blocked my car so i couldnt drive away.

Sounds very similar to my story last August. I went into proper psycho mode and done plenty of stupid things over a couple of days. Walked around 26 miles just to get away one day and like you, I had the police out looking for me too.

Its really embarrassing for me looking back. My face was all over social media, and on a couple of edinburgh news websites. The police were at my work, searching my locker, interviewing my colleagues and generally making a scene which I'm really ashamed of. I cringe when I think back to August.

It was only 24 hours ago but it almost seems like it didn't happen. Hit home how serious it was when they were asking my family about any tattoos and indetintifable markings.

I went up to the Royal Edinburgh to talk to someone today. I'm worried if it happens again they won't be able persuade me home.

I went to the game tonight. No one had a clue what had happened in the last 24 hours.

Hoping you're doing well now Col!

I can only echo what others have said about Sertraline. Worked a treat for me a few years back. Don't know if you've had them but, if not, certainly worth a try.

All the best.

Ive been a depressive since early adulthood. I'd go for years with no symptoms and then I started with feelings of self loathing creeping in. Every little thing became a big thing. I felt unloved and unwanted and unworthy. Ive taken everything under the sun when I had the down periods, sometimes a few weeks sorted it, sometimes many months and once it was a couple of years of outright clinical desperate depression. I was always able to get my head together and come off them ( never do this without supervision by the way)

A few years ago I did something bad, something criminal. Not terribly serious in the grand scheme of crime ( a minor dishonesty offence) but totally alien to me as a person and it shocked me. I was very lucky not to be proceeded against. I decided I couldn't do it on my own anymore and had to get help.

My old boss, god bless him, referred me to a clinical psychologist. One of the best in the business and very expensive but my boss fronted up for half. I had 6 sessions about 3 years ago, discovered what it was about me that was causing these attacks, sorted it once and for all. It meant a few serious lifestyle changes and excluding a few people from my life, family as well as friends.

Everyones trigger is different, but there is a clue in the trigger somewhere. You have to look for it, or admit it, and get it out. The drugs aren't a cure, they are there to help you function through the bad times. There is no medicinal cure here guys. Get yourself a counsellor. Get referred. Get the best you can.Take it seriously. Be brutally honest and dig deep in the sessions. Its bloody hard but you'll get there. You'll find the answer. Then the brave thing is to fix it.

I have been clear for nearly 3 years now. In fact I am so grounded and happy its like a new life. Should have bloody done it 30 years ago, even though the process was painful and upsetting for me and others around me and I had to confront some stuff head on that most folk just put in a box and try to forget.

And finally......... dont go shoplifting. Its fecking embarrassing getting caught !!!

Edited by CollyWolly

I have toiled these past few weeks with it.

I have stayed off the bevvy all christmas so far and the Mrs thinks she has done something wrong and I just can't bring myself to tell her about it. I normally get really really quiet when it happens and I dunno if it's an acute reaction to losing my old man 2 yrs ago (this part of the year is hard as it was his favourite part) or the fact my mum has just came through chemo herself but I just dont feel chirstmassy at all.

Got my own 2 kids coming until the new year tmrw and I am trying really hard to try snap out of it before I pick them up tmrw.

Reading through this though is therapy in itself as its good to know I am not suffering by myself with this.

CC. Believe it not you started this thread over 4 years ago. The fact that it still exists and is still live is down to the thing you sorted. You probably dont realise how many folk over the years have taken real comfort from some of the stuff on this thread. We've a lot to thank you for. Like others, I think of this thread regularly, and although I am 'cured' now (I hope) some of the stuff here is inspirational for others who are really suffering pretty bad stuff.

So, thanks mate, and hope 2017 is a better year for you and yours.

chester copperpot

CC. Believe it not you started this thread over 4 years ago. The fact that it still exists and is still live is down to the thing you sorted. You probably dont realise how many folk over the years have taken real comfort from some of the stuff on this thread. We've a lot to thank you for. Like others, I think of this thread regularly, and although I am 'cured' now (I hope) some of the stuff here is inspirational for others who are really suffering pretty bad stuff.

So, thanks mate, and hope 2017 is a better year for you and yours.

Thanks for those kind words mate.

Actually feeling a lot better since I told the girl what was up with me and we talked a lot.

:thumb:

Maiden Gorgie

Every now and then this thread pops into my head. 

I think it is great that folk can come on here and share feelings and know that they will receive support. We don't really know each other from Adam but the posts on here can be a big help when we are in a bad place.

Personally, i still get what my GP refers to as a "wobble" everything is pretty cool 99% of the time but some days.....well not so good. But it passes.

My late fathers birthday anniversary is coming up and i am dreading it, it is what kicked off my depression. Thankfully my wife has recognised this and is taking me away for the weekend to chill out in the Highlands.

As always, best wishes to you all :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
Maroon Sailor

Ant McPartlin has checked in to rehab

Addicted to drink and drugs used to ease pain from a knee op and he has just spiralled in to depression.

Ant McPartlin has checked in to rehab

Addicted to drink and drugs used to ease pain from a knee op and he has just spiralled in to depression.

He's had bad knee issues in the last few years and his wife is having fertility problems so he's been proper down about it apparantly. Fair play on him coming out clean on his problems and I hope his recovery goes well.

Albert Tatlock

Very easily done by a normal punter. He was about to be exposed by the s.., so went public. Fair play to him, but his issues are no more valid than for us normal punters.. But, wow he is in the public eye. Which makes it even worse, he has the world at his feet. In rehab, character intact. Anyone else not in the limelight is junkie scum.

Why the feck does he get all the empathy, but people who are really struggling, with nothing, no hope or future for themselves are demonised. But he is mega successful, worth a fortune, so pity party for him

Disclaimer ...I am not Maroon Legions