depression

chester copperpot

The Wrinkly Ninja
2 hours ago, HiddenName said:

Changed my username because I want to keep this anonymous. 

I took an overdose the other day there and ended up getting taken to A&E. 

I left A&E feeling quite shit and generally still depressed and left to probably just just have a better shot of what I failed at the first time around. 

If help was offered, I'd probably have taken it as I made it clear how I feel about life and I don't want to carry on living the way that I am. 

Everything I try I fail at, I have no friends, very little family who make an effort to even ask how I am never mind visit, I have a shit job with no future prospects, money is tight etc... 

I have so few people in my life that you could hold my funeral in a phone box and still have some room left. 

Over and out. 

Hey hidden

No problem with anonymity...by the same token you have nothing to be ashamed of....here of all places you won't be judged.

Can I ask how you got to A&E? Did you tell someone or phone the police/doctors/ambulance service? If so..it was a brave decision and a good decision, just like the one to post on here!

Sorry that the care you got there didn't really meet your needs or expectations! Doesn't always need to be like that though, there's good professionals out there who can help you, trust me!

I know it's easy for folk to say go to your GP, change your job etc, and harder for you to do, particularly when you feel as low as you do.

But, things can change, it wont be easy, it might not be quick, it might be up and down, but they can change! You've just taken a massive step though.

One thing that jumps out in your post is....."if help was offered i'd probably have taken it"......any good mental health professional can work with that, you know you need help, and if it came your way you would take it!

It's gonna take a few more good decisions from you though.....and contacting your gp is the next one...they'll still be open, make an appointment...and yes it is an emergency appointment you need. If there's nothing today...phone at 0800 tomorrow. Or if you want to keep it anonymous get onto breathing space (if you are in scotland) 0800 83 85 87, they're open in 45 minutes. They'll give you some help with how to manage how you are feeling right now and what to do next!

There's also bits in your post that make me worry about you keeping yourself safe, if the thoughts get too much, distract yourself...post on here...phone someone...anyone - out of ours gp, breathing space, police, if you are in edinburgh phone 01315376000 and ask for mhas (mental health assessment service). Keep safe.

Best of luck 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

6 hours ago, HiddenName said:

Changed my username because I want to keep this anonymous. 

I took an overdose the other day there and ended up getting taken to A&E. 

I left A&E feeling quite shit and generally still depressed and left to probably just just have a better shot of what I failed at the first time around. 

If help was offered, I'd probably have taken it as I made it clear how I feel about life and I don't want to carry on living the way that I am. 

Everything I try I fail at, I have no friends, very little family who make an effort to even ask how I am never mind visit, I have a shit job with no future prospects, money is tight etc... 

I have so few people in my life that you could hold my funeral in a phone box and still have some room left. 

Over and out. 

speak to your GP asap... be honest with them don't be afraid to open up. Sometime's its only when we let out guard down and open up that people recognise how they can really help us.

Defo keep posting on here, use it to vent about how you feel from time to time.

Yeah I did speak to my gp, she referred me to the royal Ed assessment team, they asked me 1000 questions, handed me a leaflet and left me to get on with it. 

The leaflet made it no further than the bin outside the main entrance. 

3 hours ago, HiddenName said:

Yeah I did speak to my gp, she referred me to the royal Ed assessment team, they asked me 1000 questions, handed me a leaflet and left me to get on with it. 

Buddy, I have no knowledge of this other than what family have went through and tbh fairly mild. 

Pasted below contacts if it helps. 

If you just want to speak with someone over the phone  or need emotional support, you can contact Samaritans on their 24 hour helpline

08457 90 90 90.

Your call is confidential and will be taken by a trained worker. Calls are at local call rates. 

If you are feeling depressed or have a low mood, you can phone to speak to a Breathing Space worker on their free helpline 

0800 83 85 87

You can call between 6pm and 2am Monday to Thursday, and Friday 6pm to Monday 6am

I hope all is okay

AuldReekie444
6 hours ago, HiddenName said:

it seems like you are suffering at the moment. 

try the places Beave1874 suggested, if you can

you are important and valuable,  

7 hours ago, AuldReekie444 said:

it seems like you are suffering at the moment. 

try the places Beave1874 suggested, if you can

you are important and valuable,  

Not suffering, just accepted the facts of life. 

• 2 weeks later...
AuldReekie444

Bereavement is a deep thing, especially when it's a parent, and both parents.  It took me years to get to grips  after it happened to me. Its different for everyone. 

19 hours ago, AuldReekie444 said:

How are you?

Why not try getting a second opinion, 

Bereavement is a deep thing, especially when it's a parent, and both parents.  It took me years to get to grips  after it happened to me. Its different for everyone. 

Thanks Auld Reekie. I’m OK thanks. My work and other things keep me busy but it’s hard watching the person you love, hurting so much and feeling helpless.

Have persuaded her to go back when she gets back from holiday. 

Losing her Mum has hurt her so much. 

11 hours ago, Hearts5140 said:

Thanks Auld Reekie. I’m OK thanks. My work and other things keep me busy but it’s hard watching the person you love, hurting so much and feeling helpless.

Have persuaded her to go back when she gets back from holiday. 

Losing her Mum has hurt her so much. 

Some GP’s are great, others are useless. Definitely get her to see another GP, hopefully this one will listen and act on what your wife says. I wish you both the best of luck.

hmfc_liam06

I've had a few things going on lately, both in my personal life and work life.

The last few months I've been experiencing dizziness, loss of balance, tiredness, headaches and become very snippy to the wee one (which I feel awful for). At first I just thought it was a bit of stress (that's what the GP said anyway and pretty much dismissed me) but all of the things going on in my life have disappeared or improved greatly...yet these symptoms persist. I'll go through a period of a week or so with nothing, then suddenly it comes back. It's then like things are running through my head at 100mph and I start having some pretty dark thoughts. Drink actually makes it a million times worse, so I've given that up completely.

I don't know why I'm putting this in here, I'm not sure it's even related but I've really not spoken to anyone about it, except for the GP.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Robbo-Jambo
12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've had a few things going on lately, both in my personal life and work life.

The last few months I've been experiencing dizziness, loss of balance, tiredness, headaches and become very snippy to the wee one (which I feel awful for). At first I just thought it was a bit of stress (that's what the GP said anyway and pretty much dismissed me) but all of the things going on in my life have disappeared or improved greatly...yet these symptoms persist. I'll go through a period of a week or so with nothing, then suddenly it comes back. It's then like things are running through my head at 100mph and I start having some pretty dark thoughts. Drink actually makes it a million times worse, so I've given that up completely.

I don't know why I'm putting this in here, I'm not sure it's even related but I've really not spoken to anyone about it, except for the GP.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Had the dizziness, loss of balance ,tiredness and headaches which obviously affect your mood after a while.

It actually was a middle ear infection called labrynthitis diagnosed at the third visit to GP which got treatment for but it can last a while though.

The physical symptoms sound similar but although lowered my mood didn't have the dark thoughts or 100 mile hour things running through head though.

Might be totally unrelated but you never know maybe worth getting it checked out though.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

AuldReekie444

Often anxiety occurs as part of depression.

Anxiety and panic attacks can be scary. They really affect your body and you can get difficulty breathing, dizziness, confusion and other things.

Im saying this cos its part of depression sometimes. 

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Had the dizziness, loss of balance ,tiredness and headaches which obviously affect your mood after a while.

It actually was a middle ear infection called labrynthitis diagnosed at the third visit to GP which got treatment for but it can last a while though.

The physical symptoms sound similar but although lowered my mood didn't have the dark thoughts or 100 mile hour things running through head though.

Might be totally unrelated but you never know maybe worth getting it checked out though.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Funny enough, I've had issues with my ears for a few years now, recurring infections. It had crossed my mind.

The depressive thoughts have maybe come from the lowered mood coupled with the things that have been going on in my personal life? I'm definitely not at the stage of not wanting to get out of bed etc which is why I've always dismissed depression out of hand...but I know it takes all sorts of forms.

I think an appointment at the docs is required.

Thanks RJ.

Captain Canada

One of the worst parts about it for me is that I don't feel like doing any of the things I enjoy. Everything feels like a chore and come Friday, I'm just overwhelmed with relief that I survived another week at work without having a panic attack or meltdown. 

My job is incredibly stressful as it's so fast-paced and changeable. It's got to the stage where I have physical symptoms of anxiety just opening emails. I've spoken to my new boss recently who was very supportive, but it's become so hard just to function normally. I worry that even getting a new job won't make much difference as I'll still have to face the same kind of things every day. 

AuldReekie444

I am bumping this thread.

I hope anyone and everyone above has found some comfort and kindness.  

It can be difficult to talk about depression, 

Edited by AuldReekie444

On 29/06/2018 at 23:20, Captain Canada said:

One of the worst parts about it for me is that I don't feel like doing any of the things I enjoy. Everything feels like a chore and come Friday, I'm just overwhelmed with relief that I survived another week at work without having a panic attack or meltdown. 

My job is incredibly stressful as it's so fast-paced and changeable. It's got to the stage where I have physical symptoms of anxiety just opening emails. I've spoken to my new boss recently who was very supportive, but it's become so hard just to function normally. I worry that even getting a new job won't make much difference as I'll still have to face the same kind of things every day. 

This post interests me.  What exactly are the ‘physical symptoms of anxiety’?

AuldReekie444
On 11/01/2012 at 22:58, chester copperpot said:

watching the freddoe flintoff interview madee realise that its far more common than I thought. Anyone else suffer x

fell it.

Yes. I get depressed. 

Depression  has been a big part of my life. Me, my brother and my parents. 

I know it know, when it happens to me. Sometimes takes me ages to recognize it like.

Edited by AuldReekie444

Captain Canada
On 7/6/2018 at 22:10, Morgan said:

This post interests me.  What exactly are the ‘physical symptoms of anxiety’?

For me it's usually fast, shallow breathing but I also get pain in my jaw from tensing it so much as well as headaches. 

I've found anxiety to be an utterly soul crushing cycle. Went to the GP and was prescribed slow release propranolol (beta blockers) its helped quite a bit in controlling the immediate nerves and reactions I have (sweaty hands, racing heart etc.). Would recommend it if anyones having problems with anxiety as I was feeling really down as a result of it (impact on social life etc), I'm still quite quiet and everything but a lot more at ease in company and speaking to new people which is a huge win for me. 

13 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

For me it's usually fast, shallow breathing but I also get pain in my jaw from tensing it so much as well as headaches. 

Thanks Captain :thumbsup: 

• 3 weeks later...
Captain Canada

I wanted to bump this thread in case it can help anyone who's struggling right now. 

There have been times in the past 30 years where I've hit rock bottom and know how it feels when there seems like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. 

I recommend this book to anyone, not just people with a back history of mild anxiety or panic attacks.  I say anyone, as there are many people who suffer from anxiety but it's not in self awareness, how can we heal something if it's not in our awareness?

I truly believe the approach will have a profound effect on how we approach anxiety disorders and beyond.  Stats say that 40 million people in the U.S alone have some form of anxiety disorder (approx 1 in 6), that's the tip if the iceberg imo.  I am privileged to work as a volunteer with a Bereavement Charity and worked with a client using the approach this morning with outcomes that i've never seen before.  I want to caveat with 'early days' or 'perhaps I should be more cautious', but the simplicity of the approach is genuinely powerful. 

If anyone decides to go for it, would love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dare-Anxiety-Stop-Panic-Attacks/dp/0956596258

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Does anyone have any experience of mirtazipine?

It caused extreme drowsiness for me, wasn't good for someone like me working a 9.5hr day with a 7am start. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Yes, and it was bad.

sleeping all the time, and when I was awake I couldn’t stop eating and was extremely irritable.  Lasted all of 4 days on it. 

My friend has been through a hard time over last 12 months and about 4 months ago he started going to Andy's Man Club's and it's helped him no end, he can't speak more highly of the meetings. Unfortunately I don't think they have a group in Edinburgh yet. It's every Monday night in Perth at McDiarmid Park, there's a club opened in Oban now and I read on their FB page that they will be doing Glasgow meetings shortly too.

Check them out on FB, drop the guys a message and maybe an Edinburgh group will be next?

https://www.facebook.com/andysmanclubperth/

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Was on 30mg but been on 15mg for a couple of months, i have no patience with anything but that is normal for me.

As for sleep it knocks you out but take it about 9pm if up at 7am.

mrmarkus1981
14 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

My partner takes it every night. I am on the other side of the coin with this (the receiving end if you will).

I believe it is a mood suppressor, and it makes our relationship difficult at times as she appears not to care, AT ALL!

Harry Potter
38 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

My partner takes it every night. I am on the other side of the coin with this (the receiving end if you will).

I believe it is a mood suppressor, and it makes our relationship difficult at times as she appears not to care, AT ALL!

Your partner needs all the support from you just now , she does care for you even if not showing it, believe me .

mrmarkus1981
8 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Your partner needs all the support from you just now , she does care for you even if not showing it, believe me .

We've been together for 6 years, so iv'e seen it all.

I'm not going anywhere :)

Harry Potter
Just now, mrmarkus1981 said:

We've been together for 6 years, so iv'e seen it all.

I'm not going anywhere :)

Good man, been married for 26 years and my wife is the strong one.

gerry mccauley
On 13/06/2018 at 16:25, Salad Fingers said:

Speaking to your GP is definitely the best advice.  Are you open to anti-depressants?  I know there is a stigma around them and not everyone is keen to be medicated but I was at a very low point around four years ago and I was put on fluoxetine.  I can honestly say that it helped to lift that black cloud that was hovering over me.  If you feel over-sedated, you can go back to your GP and they will try out another medication.  It's important though not to rely fully on them to help you, you need to change some things in your life as well.  I had to seriously curb my drinking/drug taking, move out my flat (it was getting me into debt) and eventually split up with my ex, who was a terrible influence on my life and mood.  

How long have you felt like this?  Did you have many friends before you felt like this.  Sometimes friends and family can distance themselves from someone who is depressed as they really don't know how to deal with it.  Many times I wanted to open up to my parents but they wouldn't have been much help.  Instead I opened up to a counsellor and it was one of the best things I have done.  

As mentioned above, having a hobby or a keen interest in something is important.  Perhaps you could rekindle an interest in something you lost interest in over there years due to how you feel.  Even a night class to get you out the house and engaged in something with other people would help your mood.  It would certainly keep your mind off things.  

Mental health services are stretched and the waiting times can be really long but that's not to say the help isn't out there.  I would check with your work to see if there is an employee counselling service available you could access?  I looked into ones through my GP and waited ages, my boss, who was very understanding thankfully, suggested that and it was a great help.  

Life doesn't need to be that bad and there is help out there but you also need to help yourself.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and although you feel at your lowest right now, it won't always be like this as many on here would tell you.  

Keep the chin up for now and get things in motion.  The kickback crowd are more helpful than you would think and I am sure this thread has been a big help to those who have posted/read it over the years.  

Excellent post.  Everyone's experience of depression can vary widely.  A talk with a caring doctor is as good a place to start.

gerry mccauley
21 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Yes, and it was bad.

sleeping all the time, and when I was awake I couldn’t stop eating and was extremely irritable.  Lasted all of 4 days on it. 

It can make you feel drousy.. Leading to seditary weight gain.

CavySlaveJambo
5 hours ago, gerry mccauley said:

It can make you feel drousy.. Leading to seditary weight gain.

Are you a psychopharmocologist? 

Drowsy, Drowsy does not even come close.  

I did not say anything about weight gain. Depression is bad enough.  Depression and anxiety is worse. Add a fear of gaining weight and being hungry and craving carbs EVERY second you are awake. oh and Don’t make assumptions, you can get loads of exercise pacing up and down, even in a tiny flat.   (Tbh I can’t remember gaining weight but I was rather much in a state - possibly a mixed episode) 

Btw they know the reason behind the weight gain in some psych meds and no matter what people say they can mess with your metabolism.  So in some places they use metformin to counter it.  

As this is the depression/mental health thread. Be careful about weight gain comments because you never know if someone has an eating disorder (or like me strongly suspects they have one or has Sensory Processing Disorder that means my body behaves like it does) 

Harry Potter
8 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Are you a psychopharmocologist? 

Drowsy, Drowsy does not even come close.  

I did not say anything about weight gain. Depression is bad enough.  Depression and anxiety is worse. Add a fear of gaining weight and being hungry and craving carbs EVERY second you are awake. oh and Don’t make assumptions, you can get loads of exercise pacing up and down, even in a tiny flat.   (Tbh I can’t remember gaining weight but I was rather much in a state - possibly a mixed episode) 

Btw they know the reason behind the weight gain in some psych meds and no matter what people say they can mess with your metabolism.  So in some places they use metformin to counter it.  

As this is the depression/mental health thread. Be careful about weight gain comments because you never know if someone has an eating disorder (or like me strongly suspects they have one or has Sensory Processing Disorder that means my body behaves like it does) 

Very true its not just woman that have eating disorders, men are just as likely to go there through mental health issues.

I have gained a bit weight but nothing of great worry, tbh better in the winter as it helps fight colds.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always considered myself to suffer from bouts of depression. My wife has decided she wants a trial separation which will, baring a miracle, lead to divorce. We went to see a counsellor and although acknowledging the depression he mainly feels I have extreme anxiety and have developed maladjusted coping strategies. I am now on medication and am continuing the counselling. I have to do lots of mindfulness work and do more socialising especially with people I don’t know, support groups etc. I am very lucky in that I have very supportive friends and family. Doesnt stop me feeling horrific right now though. Not any real conversation to be had hear just feels good to put it out there. Thanks kickback

I have started using CBD oil for my anxiety and can really vouch for it. I feel more comfortable around people and although my brain still sometimes overthinks things I don't get the same 'shutdown' feelings. Interesting to see if anyone in here has tried it.

2 hours ago, shoebee said:

I have always considered myself to suffer from bouts of depression. My wife has decided she wants a trial separation which will, baring a miracle, lead to divorce. We went to see a counsellor and although acknowledging the depression he mainly feels I have extreme anxiety and have developed maladjusted coping strategies. I am now on medication and am continuing the counselling. I have to do lots of mindfulness work and do more socialising especially with people I don’t know, support groups etc. I am very lucky in that I have very supportive friends and family. Doesnt stop me feeling horrific right now though. Not any real conversation to be had hear just feels good to put it out there. Thanks kickback

I often found that extreme social anxiety really lowered my moods as I thought to myself that I could no longer do basic things without worrying and feeling crap. Hopefully your meds/coping mechanisms help the anxiety and your general mood improves. Sorry for asking but is the seperation due to your depression? Hopefully you can get this all sorted man.

Yes unfortunately I tend to take the safest route in most things, especially social things. This has impacted my life and that of my kids and wife. She has felt trapped by it and has had enough. I am making a concentrated effort to do more for all our sakes but it is tough with her leaving. Today is my first day just me and the boys, it has went well but it’s hard to be positive long term about my own life.

Just now, shoebee said:

Yes unfortunately I tend to take the safest route in most things, especially social things. This has impacted my life and that of my kids and wife. She has felt trapped by it and has had enough. I am making a concentrated effort to do more for all our sakes but it is tough with her leaving. Today is my first day just me and the boys, it has went well but it’s hard to be positive long term about my own life.

I'm a divorcee twice. Two children now aged 28 and 32 from my first marriage. They were both 12 and 16 when me and their mum went our separate ways. We were married  for just over 21 years.

Second marriage I have one child now aged 10. Yes became a dad again at 45.

Was married to wife number two for 8 years.

Patience is the key. It was with my two eldest. My first ex wife would tell my eldest two I had abondoned them and I was totally the bad guy. She conveniently omitted she had committed adultery. Her chickens came home to roost in the end.

Have better post divorce relationship with ex wife number two as she is not as bitter as number one. We both realised getting married was a mistake on both our parts.

What I am trying to tell you is never give up hope. Life is for living. You will develop and cultivate a loving relationship with your children. As difficult as it may seem. Remember you are a father first and foremost. Parenting. Toughest gig in the world don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

However, it is also the most rewarding gig in the world too. Seeing your children smiling and laughing is one of the greatest rewards in life. Don't ever give that away. You have a wider family. The Hearts family. One of this family will always be here for you. Never be afraid to say help. Never.

On 16/08/2018 at 22:10, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Yes. I felt it locked my brain into position, preventing thoughts and emotions flying off in all directions, rather than making me happy or clear-headed.

3 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

HiddenName hasn't logged in since 23 June. Does anybody know him/her and how he/she is getting on?

Unfortunately, it looks as though they didn't want their identity getting out. Hopefully they see this from their main account and let us know

• 2 weeks later...

Keep thinking it's just bad days at work but now I am realising life is just totally ****ed and there's no real sign it will get any better. I don't remember having a social life. I don't remember having a functional relationship. I don't remember not having crippling personal worries every day. I don't remember being (relatively) healthy physically. And most damming, I don't remember being mentally healthy.

I don't think I've ever posted on this thread before so I'm not sure exactly what to write. I don't expect people to feel sorry for me and chances are given my tendencies to self destruct, I'll find every reason to ignore any advice offered, I just need to say these things somewhere that I have a relative amount of anonymity because if I don't, I just fear the worst will come 

2 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Keep thinking it's just bad days at work but now I am realising life is just totally ****ed and there's no real sign it will get any better. I don't remember having a social life. I don't remember having a functional relationship. I don't remember not having crippling personal worries every day. I don't remember being (relatively) healthy physically. And most damming, I don't remember being mentally healthy.

I don't think I've ever posted on this thread before so I'm not sure exactly what to write. I don't expect people to feel sorry for me and chances are given my tendencies to self destruct, I'll find every reason to ignore any advice offered, I just need to say these things somewhere that I have a relative amount of anonymity because if I don't, I just fear the worst will come 

Not a thread I visit Thommo, but I’m glad I did this evening.

Can’t think what to say to you, don't know how to.  Even if I did, what help could I be?  All I can say is (sounds crass) please. please take care, look at your overall situation and, above all remember how important you are to many people.

Be big man, be careful and above all, be you.

Love, Morgan.

2 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Speak to someone, someone who knows the ins and outs of what you're feeling and going through, speak to someone ASAP. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Speak to someone, someone who knows the ins and outs of what you're feeling and going through, speak to someone ASAP. 

Nice one Dawn.  

Basically what I tried to say, but you did it better in less words.

11 hours ago, Morgan said:

Not a thread I visit Thommo, but I’m glad I did this evening.

Can’t think what to say to you, don't know how to.  Even if I did, what help could I be?  All I can say is (sounds crass) please. please take care, look at your overall situation and, above all remember how important you are to many people.

Be big man, be careful and above all, be you.

Love, Morgan.

11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Thank you both for your responses! Obviously at the time of posting, I wasn't in the best of places up there. I took a bit of time last night to calm down and speak to people about whats going on and I am feeling somewhat better this morning although I know I have a lot of work to do to overcome things. 

Once again, can't emphasise enough how much I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Thank you both for your responses! Obviously at the time of posting, I wasn't in the best of places up there. I took a bit of time last night to calm down and speak to people about whats going on and I am feeling somewhat better this morning although I know I have a lot of work to do to overcome things. 

Once again, can't emphasise enough how much I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

Great to hear you’re feeling better.  :thumbsup:

Onwards and upwards Thommo!

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Great to hear you’re feeling better.  :thumbsup:

Onwards and upwards Thommo!

Thank you, Morgan. Onwards and upwards indeed! 

Amazing what a weekend without domestic football does to a man...