depression

chester copperpot

All,

I've kept quiet on this but read every word of it and although not a suffer my wife is and she is currently having major problems. Didn't really want to post as I know a number of people who know my username and therefore know me but I like to think they will keep this under their hat as it's not easy to write this.

Anyway - does anyone have a recommendations of how to look after yourself in long terms outside of the medication although we are re-looking at the medication. My wife gets better for a number of weeks sometimes a month at a time then relapses. A lot of this was work realted but we have taking that way from her now but again she has taking a turn for the worse but we keep just getting referred home as that's the best place for her, all GPs/consualtans think it would be even worse if admitted to the Royal Ed.

We are looked after by the intensive home treatment team but they can only do so much and as soon as you leave the 'critical' stage you are discharge back to your GP so when things get bad again you have to go through the whole process yet again but you want immediate help.

So we are chasing up where we are with Pyschology interviews, Physiactric interviews, therepy etc but the waiting list is so long that you feel you are left in limbo.

Any advice, trainging sites etc would be great for me to research and see how I can help. For those that suffer, we will never know how bad things really are but are trying our best to help but best advice is talk to someone in the beginning and take it from there. Things could be a lot worse if my wife hadn't creid out for help.

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, couldn't find the spellchecker).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

Been feeling a bit strange lately. Came off anti-depressants about 4 months ago off my own accord, probably wasn't the right thing to do but I felt the side effects were far outweighing the effect of the drug. I felt amazing, positive and had a new lease of life.

Recently I've been a bit short of motivation, irritable, can't be bothered speaking to people sometimes. I wouldn't say that I'm back in a bout of depression - I'm still happy and enjoy what I'm doing almost all the time. Just those little things that are bothering me - I'm not completely happy and at rest. Feels like I'm battling against what's going on inside my head a lot.

I've a feeling that I've got something more general than depression. I feel that my brain operates differently from most people, I control my emotions differently and think about situations differently from others in an emotional sense. Is it possible to take a general mental health test to see if there's really something wrong with my mental health?

Been feeling a bit strange lately. Came off anti-depressants about 4 months ago off my own accord, probably wasn't the right thing to do but I felt the side effects were far outweighing the effect of the drug. I felt amazing, positive and had a new lease of life.

Recently I've been a bit short of motivation, irritable, can't be bothered speaking to people sometimes. I wouldn't say that I'm back in a bout of depression - I'm still happy and enjoy what I'm doing almost all the time. Just those little things that are bothering me - I'm not completely happy and at rest. Feels like I'm battling against what's going on inside my head a lot.

I've a feeling that I've got something more general than depression. I feel that my brain operates differently from most people, I control my emotions differently and think about situations differently from others in an emotional sense. Is it possible to take a general mental health test to see if there's really something wrong with my mental health?

best to go back to the doctor, maybe they could give you a different anti depressant there is some self help tests on this link

www.nhs.uk/tools/Pages/Toolslibrary.aspx?Tag=Mental+health

Edited by Anns Laddie

The Future's Maroon

I done the same thing once, coming off my medication because I thought it was right...couldn't have been more wrong. I was feeling similar to yourself, I felt I didnt need them anymore and actually got to the stage I thought they were not doing anything, anyway I ended back in a bout of depression a few months later and was worse the second time around. I went back to my GP who basically gave me a slap on the wrist because its not really the best thing to do, just coming straight off them. The second time I was on them and I felt I was feeling better I went to the GP this time and he either lowered the dose or gave me something different...basically weaning myself off the medication instead of a full blown stop...was much better and since I have not looked back.

I am not daft enough to think I am fully cured, there is a good chance I will go through it again at some point in life...the main difference for me is now I know you can get help...the first time I just kept shrugging it off as a down period in my life and it wasnt until I seeked help I realise I was actually ill.

For the second part of your post I can only suggest you go back to the GP and discuss it with them, I think everyone is a different case so the best place for advice will be your GP.

Hope it gets resolved for you.

All,

I've kept quiet on this but read every word of it and although not a suffer my wife is and she is currently having major problems. Didn't really want to post as I know a number of people who know my username and therefore know me but I like to think they will keep this under their hat as it's not easy to write this.

Anyway - does anyone have a recommendations of how to look after yourself in long terms outside of the medication although we are re-looking at the medication. My wife gets better for a number of weeks sometimes a month at a time then relapses. A lot of this was work realted but we have taking that way from her now but again she has taking a turn for the worse but we keep just getting referred home as that's the best place for her, all GPs/consualtans think it would be even worse if admitted to the Royal Ed.

We are looked after by the intensive home treatment team but they can only do so much and as soon as you leave the 'critical' stage you are discharge back to your GP so when things get bad again you have to go through the whole process yet again but you want immediate help.

So we are chasing up where we are with Pyschology interviews, Physiactric interviews, therepy etc but the waiting list is so long that you feel you are left in limbo.

Any advice, trainging sites etc would be great for me to research and see how I can help. For those that suffer, we will never know how bad things really are but are trying our best to help but best advice is talk to someone in the beginning and take it from there. Things could be a lot worse if my wife hadn't creid out for help.

(sorry for any spelling mistakes, couldn't find the spellchecker).

Wow mate that's a brave post.

When it gets to that sort of stage then the professional medical advice obviously overrules any thoughts anyone on a forum might have. There are a few of us here willing to share our thoughts and I dare say some get some help from that. In some ways it's comforting to know your not a freak and no one is telling you to pull yourself together or man up (I swear if one more person says that to me......)I'm not sure that's enough help for your case though.

I imagine there must be support groups out there for folk who have to deal with loved ones with deep seated clinical depression. Maybe try searching for one of those. Perhaps the Samaritans might be able to recommend an organisation that will help you to help your wife ?

Good luck mate and hang on in there

Edited by CollyWolly

• 2 weeks later...
Салатные палочки

Went to the docs last week and he has decided to take me off the anti-depressants.  That's a year now I have been on them and I agreed it's probably the time to stop. They have really helped me that last year and even though I'm kind of withdrawing from them, I still feel relatively calm.  

The withdrawal symptoms are pretty mild to be honest.  Crazy, very vivid dreams, feeling light-headed, nauseous at times. But the strangest side-effect is these weird, electric like pulses in your head and body.  It's just like a small, almost static click that I get every so often, mostly if I move abrubtly or when I step out into the cold.  Seems it's a common side-effect thankfully, cos the first few times it happened shat me up a little.  

Went to the docs last week and he has decided to take me off the anti-depressants. That's a year now I have been on them and I agreed it's probably the time to stop. They have really helped me that last year and even though I'm kind of withdrawing from them, I still feel relatively calm.

The withdrawal symptoms are pretty mild to be honest. Crazy, very vivid dreams, feeling light-headed, nauseous at times. But the strangest side-effect is these weird, electric like pulses in your head and body. It's just like a small, almost static click that I get every so often, mostly if I move abrubtly or when I step out into the cold. Seems it's a common side-effect thankfully, cos the first few times it happened shat me up a little.

I had those electric shocks / brain zaps that you talk of before.

What antidepressants is it you were on? Citalipram?

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Went to the docs last week and he has decided to take me off the anti-depressants.  That's a year now I have been on them and I agreed it's probably the time to stop. They have really helped me that last year and even though I'm kind of withdrawing from them, I still feel relatively calm.  

The withdrawal symptoms are pretty mild to be honest.  Crazy, very vivid dreams, feeling light-headed, nauseous at times. But the strangest side-effect is these weird, electric like pulses in your head and body.  It's just like a small, almost static click that I get every so often, mostly if I move abrubtly or when I step out into the cold.  Seems it's a common side-effect thankfully, cos the first few times it happened shat me up a little.  

Had all of those things you mentioned. Pretty grim. Quite miss the vivid dreams though :lol:

Салатные палочки

I had those electric shocks / brain zaps that you talk of before.

What antidepressants is it you were on? Citalipram?

I was on fluoxetine, or prozac as they call it in the states.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a close family member who I've just discovered is suffering from depression.

There was an incident on Saturday night which gave me a major fright.

I had no idea.

How can I help?

I have a close family member who I've just discovered is suffering from depression.

There was an incident on Saturday night which gave me a major fright.

I had no idea.

How can I help?

This will sound harsh but depressed people will often reject what is offered as help - particularly in the guise of "advice" or they may refuse to go outside or do anything practical. The obvious advice like - get some fresh air, get out the house, go to the gym. These things do help - but you just cannot be bothered or may be too anxious to even step outside into the garden.

From the outside it looks like they have "given up". They haven't, their brain chemistry is so awful that they feel nothing, or overwhelming sadness or a sense of loathing/poor self-worth etc. All their energy is depleted and just getting up out of bed can be a major achievement.

Best thing (this is from the perspective of someone who suffers and somewhat anecdotal to myself although I've recognised the same issues and copiong strategies in others) is to let them know you are there and ask if there is anything practical that you could do for them. Re-assure them that it wasn't their fault nor did they deserve to suffer from depression as it's insidious and makes you think like that. Sometimes depression or at least the accompanying stress overlay can be relieved by some of the stressors being removed. It sounds daft but small issues most folk could live with or ignore become the equivalent of Mount ******* Everest to scale. A trip to the shops might be too much but if you drive them, or do the interacting with people or fetch something they need or even bring in take-away one night to ease the burden of cooking, something practical like that can act as a wee pressure release.

Remind them that this condition - this bloody, ******* condition is common and not their fault. If they are reticent to go to the GP let them know that mental health problems take up a third of GP appointments. They are well used to dealing with and helping patients with these issues.

This isn't empirical as everyone is different but I thought the perspective might help. It is a shitty, tough job helping or living with a depressed person. You might think something helped, that the person has been OK or even good for a couple of days and just as you relax - bam, no warning - it's back, worse than ever.

Also I used to cringe (still do sometimes) when the phone went or someone came round. But, paradoxically, company with someone was at least a distraction from my own internal turmoil even it it would be resisted if possible.

For a lot of people who are asking advice for loved ones or family that are afflicted, whilst everyone is different I absolutely found that CBT for stress/anxiety, if it is present, removed a helluva lot of what was crippling me. That fight/flight reaction which we rarely need in modern life can misfire and stay 'on', leaving one in a heightened, adrenalised state of panic where minor things cause a reaction akin to a dangerous animal leaping out at you. Turning that off helped me enormously on my fight back. And a more general positive effect of CBT is realising others suffer exactly like you do - that you aren't mad, it's a common, horrible affliction and you aren't alone. It is quite daunting if you are inhibited by the depression but it is very effective - also I think because you get a sense that you finally can do something to help yourself.

There's a tendency with depression to try to think yourself better but you wouldn't say that to someone with a physical ailment that they should think that part of their body better - but you do, you latch onto anything that might help or might have worked once and go around inside your own head like a rat on a never-stopping wheel. It doesn't really work - CBT or help guides or relaxation can work - because they are external and not under the whim or mercy of thought processes that may be governed  by a quite turbulent state of mind. 

Hope some of that is useful.

This will sound harsh but depressed people will often reject what is offered as help - particularly in the guise of "advice" or they may refuse to go outside or do anything practical. The obvious advice like - get some fresh air, get out the house, go to the gym. These things do help - but you just cannot be bothered or may be too anxious to even step outside into the garden.

From the outside it looks like they have "given up". They haven't, their brain chemistry is so awful that they feel nothing, or overwhelming sadness or a sense of loathing/poor self-worth etc. All their energy is depleted and just getting up out of bed can be a major achievement.

Best thing (this is from the perspective of someone who suffers and somewhat anecdotal to myself although I've recognised the same issues and copiong strategies in others) is to let them know you are there and ask if there is anything practical that you could do for them. Re-assure them that it wasn't their fault nor did they deserve to suffer from depression as it's insidious and makes you think like that. Sometimes depression or at least the accompanying stress overlay can be relieved by some of the stressors being removed. It sounds daft but small issues most folk could live with or ignore become the equivalent of Mount ******* Everest to scale. A trip to the shops might be too much but if you drive them, or do the interacting with people or fetch something they need or even bring in take-away one night to ease the burden of cooking, something practical like that can act as a wee pressure release.

Remind them that this condition - this bloody, ******* condition is common and not their fault. If they are reticent to go to the GP let them know that mental health problems take up a third of GP appointments. They are well used to dealing with and helping patients with these issues.

This isn't empirical as everyone is different but I thought the perspective might help. It is a shitty, tough job helping or living with a depressed person. You might think something helped, that the person has been OK or even good for a couple of days and just as you relax - bam, no warning - it's back, worse than ever.

Also I used to cringe (still do sometimes) when the phone went or someone came round. But, paradoxically, company with someone was at least a distraction from my own internal turmoil even it it would be resisted if possible.

For a lot of people who are asking advice for loved ones or family that are afflicted, whilst everyone is different I absolutely found that CBT for stress/anxiety, if it is present, removed a helluva lot of what was crippling me. That fight/flight reaction which we rarely need in modern life can misfire and stay 'on', leaving one in a heightened, adrenalised state of panic where minor things cause a reaction akin to a dangerous animal leaping out at you. Turning that off helped me enormously on my fight back. And a more general positive effect of CBT is realising others suffer exactly like you do - that you aren't mad, it's a common, horrible affliction and you aren't alone. It is quite daunting if you are inhibited by the depression but it is very effective - also I think because you get a sense that you finally can do something to help yourself.

There's a tendency with depression to try to think yourself better but you wouldn't say that to someone with a physical ailment that they should think that part of their body better - but you do, you latch onto anything that might help or might have worked once and go around inside your own head like a rat on a never-stopping wheel. It doesn't really work - CBT or help guides or relaxation can work - because they are external and not under the whim or mercy of thought processes that may be governed  by a quite turbulent state of mind. 

Hope some of that is useful.

Thanks.

I never saw any warning signs but the person in question lives in England.

An overnight dash to the hospital was required and the person is now back home for a week or 2.

They don't want to do much. Don't want to go out but I think its more through embarrassment than anything.

I don't want to judge and I'm just trying to be normal around them. I don't know what to say to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes....

Been suffering from anxiety the last month or so. Been having anxiety attacks regularly throughout this period. I didn't know what was happening to me at first as I am usually a fit and healthy guy but all of a sudden started having breathing problems and chest pains to the point that I thought I was having a heart attack! Anyway after getting checked over physically I've been diagnosed with anxiety. It is affecting my day to day life and seriously struggling to deal with it or get to the bottom of it. Been prescribed 80mg propranolol to take each day which are helping but not preventing it from happening. Doctor has mentioned citralopram instead but not sure what to do. Anyone else had similar experience?

Straightfromtheheart

Been suffering from anxiety the last month or so. Been having anxiety attacks regularly throughout this period. I didn't know what was happening to me at first as I am usually a fit and healthy guy but all of a sudden started having breathing problems and chest pains to the point that I thought I was having a heart attack! Anyway after getting checked over physically I've been diagnosed with anxiety. It is affecting my day to day life and seriously struggling to deal with it or get to the bottom of it. Been prescribed 80mg propranolol to take each day which are helping but not preventing it from happening. Doctor has mentioned citralopram instead but not sure what to do. Anyone else had similar experience?

Yes I've just been through exactly all that since Xmas when I was under stress at my work not sleeping that good and felt like I had a breakdown, I went to the doctors and got signed off then 2 weeks later I was put on citralopram which has made the world of a difference and I'm now back at work this week and feeling better for it after not getting out the house at all due to panic attacks coming on. Remember it's good to talk and get things off your chest. Feel free to drop me a PM or you could call breathing space Scotland, I also you check out the medatainment relaxation videos on YouTube

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I've just been through exactly all that since Xmas when I was under stress at my work not sleeping that good and felt like I had a breakdown, I went to the doctors and got signed off then 2 weeks later I was put on citralopram which has made the world of a difference and I'm now back at work this week and feeling better for it after not getting out the house at all due to panic attacks coming on. Remember it's good to talk and get things off your chest. Feel free to drop me a PM or you could call breathing space Scotland, I also you check out the medatainment relaxation videos on YouTube

Decided against the citalopram although have it in the house ready to start if things get worse. Had been told I would need to take it for 6 months to a year and really not sure if I want to do that. Still been taking the beta blockers every day which help the physical aspects of the anxiety but every day is still a bit of a struggle and not great quality of life. Currently trying to get myself off these beta blockers to a point where I'm taking nothing each day so fingers crossed, could be difficult though. Scary times! Cheers for the message.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided against the citalopram although have it in the house ready to start if things get worse. Had been told I would need to take it for 6 months to a year and really not sure if I want to do that. Still been taking the beta blockers every day which help the physical aspects of the anxiety but every day is still a bit of a struggle and not great quality of life. Currently trying to get myself off these beta blockers to a point where I'm taking nothing each day so fingers crossed, could be difficult though. Scary times! Cheers for the message.

Anyone else had these tablets before,?

tokyowalnut

I'm on my 3rd week of Citalopram. I've battled for years not wanting to take anything but recently my anxiety and depression has given me suicidle thoughts so I've cracked and started taking medication. Too early to give a verdict, although I have felt unusually sick. I've had a couple of bad days, wasn't really sure I'd get through today, but I'm still here.

No harm in trying them, they may help.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Салатные палочки

Anyone else had these tablets before,?

Mate don't come off the Beta blockers before consulting your doc. I ran out and thought I would go without, one day my heart felt like it was doin 100mph.

Sent from my Blade III using Tapatalk

I'm on my 3rd week of Citalopram. I've battled for years not wanting to take anything but recently my anxiety and depression has given me suicidle thoughts so I've cracked and started taking medication. Too early to give a verdict, although I have felt unusually sick. I've had a couple of bad days, wasn't really sure I'd get through today, but I'm still here.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Take care mate.

Mate don't come off the Beta blockers before consulting your doc. I ran out and thought I would go without, one day my heart felt like it was doin 100mph.

Yeah I found that out the hard way as well unfortunately.

Is there any chance a doc can give you something alternative to pills?

Going through a horrible rough patch that just doesn't seem to be shaking itself off as per.

Don't want to go to the docs and refuse to the only treatment they offer. Really not keen on pills at all.

Edited to add: I really think mine is linked to the changes of the season, soon as the weather starts to get better, spring, or worse, autumn, my depression  always seems to hit. I'd say more so when the weather gets better and the nights get lighter. I honestly prefer cold and dark nights. 

Edited by southcap

I have been on escitalopram which is more common in the States.  Best I can tell, its effects will vary quite widely from person to person.

I've been off all medication since returning to Scotland last month--after about five and a half years on--and thankfully, it's been really good.  I absolutely understand people who are reticent to go on medication, where you're coming from, because that was also me for a long time.  But I wish it hadn't been me--I wish I'd utilised it as one of many tools in the box to work things out far earlier than I ultimately did.

Салатные палочки

Is there any chance a doc can give you something alternative to pills?

Going through a horrible rough patch that just doesn't seem to be shaking itself off as per.

Don't want to go to the docs and refuse to the only treatment they offer. Really not keen on pills at all.

Edited to add: I really think mine is linked to the changes of the season, soon as the weather starts to get better, spring, or worse, autumn, my depression  always seems to hit. I'd say more so when the weather gets better and the nights get lighter. I honestly prefer cold and dark nights. 

Sounds like S.A.D. Although it's more common in the winter, people can be effected by the change in season all year round.  

If you go to the doc's, if they are a good doctor, they will probably offer to refer you to your local mental health team for counselling or one to one work rather than offering you pills in the first instance.  They might also give you some resources to read up on.  

I work in addictions and we are very closely linked into mental health.  There are loads of resources and services available as an alternative to medication.  Medication does help (from my own experience) but you cant come to rely on them and sooner or later you will need to address your issues in other ways that will help.  

Edited by Salad Fingers

Tomorrow is a new day.

mate, with most meds there is likely some side effects, so do your best to get thorough them and hopefully they will help you

• 2 weeks later...
Straightfromtheheart

Tomorrow is a new day.

I was exactly the same not wanting g to go on medication until start of this year just been upped to 30mg and am having a shit time at work so am currently off sick. But I'm still here. Everyone has good and bad days

chester copperpot

I was exactly the same not wanting g to go on medication until start of this year just been upped to 30mg and am having a shit time at work so am currently off sick. But I'm still here. Everyone has good and bad days

Awwan, hope you're ok.

I went through a brutal marriage breakdown / divorce, lost having my kids full time and my dad died all around the same time and it sucked the big time. On top of that I'd always struggled with depression so it just brought it to a head.

If you need to chat mate, drop me a Pm. Always here to chat to a fellow Jambo. Take care mate.

There are fortnightly meetings in Edinburgh run by the Edinburgh Depression support group held at the Methodist church in Nicholson Square which may help some and chat to Breathing Space as well who can help and advise.

The one thing I would say is seek help/advice for in most cases the fear drives people underground so to speak with withdrawing from friends and family being common but there is help for many if they can just take that first step. 

Of course that is easy to say and there are different levels of the illness but that first step can help many people. There is no shame in being ill and depression is a recognised illness.

It's not a quick fix in most cases but with support it can be treated or at least controlled to an extent where a more normal life can be lived.

Gave in and am going to take citalopram after almost 5 years of refusing medication. Doctor thinks it's got to the stage that I can't function with any sort of stress. He prescribed me 20mg dose before Christmas and I took one and had awful side effects. This time he's starting me on 10mg dose once every 2 days for the first month then upping me to 20mg. I'm going to start tomorrow but my only concern is I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and worried I have the same effects as last time. The smaller dose might help though?

Салатные палочки

Gave in and am going to take citalopram after almost 5 years of refusing medication. Doctor thinks it's got to the stage that I can't function with any sort of stress. He prescribed me 20mg dose before Christmas and I took one and had awful side effects. This time he's starting me on 10mg dose once every 2 days for the first month then upping me to 20mg. I'm going to start tomorrow but my only concern is I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and worried I have the same effects as last time. The smaller dose might help though?

If you think you will be okay at the wedding then starting on Monday would be my advice.  If you were planning to have a few beers at the wedding then definitely don't start them tomorrow.  Holding off for a couple of days won't make any difference as they take time to kick in anyway.  

Hope it goes well for you whatever you choose to do.  A big step, but it could make a hell of a difference to your life.  

Edit: Re the smaller dose, I would imagine it will be a case of suck it and see.  I wasn't on Citalopram, I was on Fluoxetine and I felt the side-effects were fairly mild compared to what I expected.  So I couldn't possibly say for sure but half a dose of anything should give you milder effects no matter what it is your taking.  

Edited by Salad Fingers

watching the freddoe flintoff interview madee realise that its far more common than I thought. Anyone else suffer x

fell it.

Never suffered depression but do have pretty severe anxiety which really annoying at times. Doctors are pretty useless on the topic too. Trying to control it with a lot of exercise and sleeping pills but, even then, sometimes it bites me on the ar$e.

The Wrinkly Ninja

Sounds like you've made a pretty brave decision!!

I would wait before starting it, get the wedding out of the way.

I would also have a word with a pharmacist re the regime your gp has started you on. 10mg every two days is a very low dose - you may see no benefit even after the expected 6-8 weeks and still suffer the side effects, now and when your dose is increased, which for citalopram can last for a good couple of weeks before they start to fade. Not certain of this either - but on that low a dose you also might run the risk of withdrawing - citalopram has a pretty short half life - one missed or delayed dose and you may not be able to tell which 'symptom' is withdrawal and which is side effect. Can the 10mg tablets be halved (do they have a line down them?).

Thanks salad fingers and wrinkly ninja. Think I will start taking on Monday as I am off work until Friday anyway. Might give the doctor a call and ask about the dose. Reason he is starting me on such a low dose is because of how badly the side effects of the 20mg affected me when I tried taking it before.

Thanks salad fingers and wrinkly ninja. Think I will start taking on Monday as I am off work until Friday anyway. Might give the doctor a call and ask about the dose. Reason he is starting me on such a low dose is because of how badly the side effects of the 20mg affected me when I tried taking it before.

I had similar when starting Citalopram around 3/4 weeks ago, the first week was absolute torture, heightened my anxiety and I was totally bed bound but it gradually started getting easier day by day and now i'm already feeling 100 times better. There are still anxious moments for sure but was worth putting up with a tough week to come out the other side better. I'm still on beta blockers as well as these Citalopram however the doctor is gradually weaning me off these so will just be taking Citalopram from now onwards, I was the same as you to begin with and so against starting the medication but i'm so glad I did, I really feel like it can be such a difference to getting things back on track but this was just for me personally. Good luck with it all!

Templeton Peck

I struggle with anxiety, but one way I can tell it's creeping back in is when I start choking on my food. More so recently.

Just enough to give me a fright, my wife spots it as I usually shake my head about.

Enough to give me a fright when I'm on my own with he kids. Usually the thought of what would they do goes through my mind and probably sets it off.

I sometimes wake up during the night completely tense and takes a half hour up and about to get back to sleep

Slevinkelevra

Truly one of the greatest and most inspiring threads on kickback, opening up about how you are feeling and talking about how you are feeling is the best way to start tackling this horrible illness.

I was ashamed to admit I had a problem, and I hit rock bottom, but finally it got too much and I opened up on here and got some great advice.

Went and spoke with my doctor who was great, spoke to my boss who was very understanding and we made changes to my working hours as this was also adding to my anxiety.

It's still a battle I fight daily, but with support, and my medication and trying to turn negative thoughts into positive ones I feel it's a fight I am winning.

I urge anyone who is feeling low, lost, anxious, or even suicidal to speak with someone, don't let Shame or pride get in the way, don't just try and shake it off and say I will be ok. I am only a message away also if anyone just wants a blether.

Awwan, hope you're ok.

I went through a brutal marriage breakdown / divorce, lost having my kids full time and my dad died all around the same time and it sucked the big time. On top of that I'd always struggled with depression so it just brought it to a head.

If you need to chat mate, drop me a Pm. Always here to chat to a fellow Jambo. Take care mate.

Have just separated from the wife due to my ocd and depression being too much for her. Losing my kids has been heartbreaking to take, I was a stay at home dad but my condition has deteriorated over the last few months and me changing meds has made things worse. I'm 6 weeks into my new medication but it's a slow process. The guilt and pain eats you up, it's like a grieving process. Never felt so lost.lifes a bitch

I've been on Sertraline for the last 4/5 years, I'm on the 200mg dosage at the moment, I think it's so high because of almost constant anxiety which is probably due to my autism.

The only advice I can provide is to keep yourself busy, I've been going to the gym & playing football on a regular basis, I've also taken on an allotment a few months back & that takes up some of the time.

I've found Only fools and horses a good remedy too

Салатные палочки

Have just separated from the wife due to my ocd and depression being too much for her. Losing my kids has been heartbreaking to take, I was a stay at home dad but my condition has deteriorated over the last few months and me changing meds has made things worse. I'm 6 weeks into my new medication but it's a slow process. The guilt and pain eats you up, it's like a grieving process. Never felt so lost.lifes a bitch

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds awful. Like the post above says, exercise and keeping your mind on other things may help in the meantime until you feel the benefit of the medication.

Really hope things improve and you patch up things with your wife.

Sorry to hear about that. Sounds awful. Like the post above says, exercise and keeping your mind on other things may help in the meantime until you feel the benefit of the medication.

Really hope things improve and you patch up things with your wife.

Thanks mate. Reconciliation is out of the question I'm afraid, she says she can't risk me relapsing and upsetting the kids etc. Things don't seem real at the moment. I'm desperate for the medication to kick in soon. It's climapromine and can take a good 12 weeks and I'm about to start week 7. I'd never had depression before, it's been hellish accompanied with the ocd. Just got to try and keep going

I struggle with anxiety, but one way I can tell it's creeping back in is when I start choking on my food. More so recently.

Just enough to give me a fright, my wife spots it as I usually shake my head about.

Enough to give me a fright when I'm on my own with he kids. Usually the thought of what would they do goes through my mind and probably sets it off.

I sometimes wake up during the night completely tense and takes a half hour up and about to get back to sleep

Now there's something.... I do the same thing and have never linked it to my anxiety, but this has made me think. I do this (particularly with meat, swallowing pills in fear of choking) especially around tense times. Must be anxiety related!

• 1 month later...
Салатные палочки

Seriously considering going back on the anti-depressants again, even though I said I wouldn't.  Struggling right now, crap job, crap living arrangements.  Only my kids keep me going to be honest.  I just don't want the zombie feeling I got the last time where nothing bothered me. 

Seriously considering going back on the anti-depressants again, even though I said I wouldn't.  Struggling right now, crap job, crap living arrangements.  Only my kids keep me going to be honest.  I just don't want the zombie feeling I got the last time where nothing bothered me. 

?If considering anti-deppressants I always think about lifestyle changes I can make. How is your diet? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you drinking alcohol or smoking etc? Is there sometihng you could do to improve your job situation?

These are the things that depress everyone, and changing lifestyle is very very hard. But surely better than popping anti-deppressents that don't really solve any of the problems.

Салатные палочки

?If considering anti-deppressants I always think about lifestyle changes I can make. How is your diet? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you drinking alcohol or smoking etc? Is there sometihng you could do to improve your job situation?

These are the things that depress everyone, and changing lifestyle is very very hard. But surely better than popping anti-deppressents that don't really solve any of the problems.

There probably are changes I could make.  My diet is generally fine, don't eat a lot of crap.  I don't drink a lot these days.  Never drink during the week but when I get the chance I usually really go for it.  Probably not the best thing to do to be honest but it seems like the only fun I get these days.  

My living arrangements changed as I had to move out my flat (rent was crippling me) and now I'm back to renting out a room at my mates house.  It's really not a situation I wanted to find myself in at this age.  I still have regular contact with my children but I have had to cut it because of my housing situation.  

Ron Swanson

Been struggling for the last 6 month but keeping myself to myself rather than speaking to someone about how I'm feeling.

Multiple things are playing on my mind, downturn in work (with threat of redundancies) which is causing anxiety, not sleeping great and then feeling terrible the next day.

In a relationship that I don't think/want to go any further but we have a mortgage and a dog, both of which I now massively regret, and it's just wearing me down.

I've also pretty much lost all enthusiasm for stuff I used to love, like playing sports, going out etc

Reading through this thread has helped me gain the confidence to book an appointment with a professional to see what help is best suited to me

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

tokyowalnut

Ron, talking to someone who doesn't know you and isn't judgemental is a great first step.

They may help give you some perspective and help with the process of making difficult decisions.

It's helped me a massive amount. Good luck.

Ron Swanson

Ron, talking to someone who doesn't know you and isn't judgemental is a great first step.

They may help give you some perspective and help with the process of making difficult decisions.

It's helped me a massive amount. Good luck.

I appreciate this. As I said, I very much keep myself to myself about how I'm feeling so being able to post here, albeit behind an online persona and going to speak to a doctor is a massive step. 

don't be afraid to vent on this thread though.  most of us who have posted here have had, or indeed still facing, our own battles and will not judge or berate anyone.  even having the balls to post on this thread is a big step for you, and the first step is the hardest to make.

speaking to your doctor is the next step you need to make, and thats a tough move to make.  you'll not regret it though, once you have done it.

good luck mate

• 3 weeks later...
mrmarkus1981

I do hope that you are not serious. I frequent this thread not because i suffer from depression but others in my life do and it helps me understand how to help them, where i can. Stay safe pal