Riotwatch

Italian Lambretta

Geoff Kilpatrick

It hasn't ever been different, but the extent of the liberties being taken are completely out of hand.

All I am saying is that the scum at the bottom of the heap are only mirroring the behaviour of the scum at the top of the heap. The average Joe in the middle gets shafted from both ends. Middle classes have become the pig on the spit. Rioters taking your wallet while the banks trash your pension.

Your role model point is a fair one in the sense that the cult of celebrity became bigger than ever. However, the best role models are friends and family. I always regard my old man as my role model even though he was far from perfect in his teenage years. Where are these yahoos' dads?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot

Do you think the rioters in Manchester have been pretty unsuccessful after the shops have re-enforced their shop windows after Rangers visit in 2008?

Rangers fans claiming a moral victory tomorrow then.

BoJack Horseman

Apparently a guy has been attacked by rioters after attempting to put out a fire that they started.

Explosion in Tottenham according to Twitter.

Depending on the source it's either a Vehicle Depot or Recycling Centre.

Hmmmmm, carry this on for a couple of weeks, and the English clubs could be getting chucked out of Europe...or playing their games on neutral soil...

Hmmmmm, carry this on for a couple of weeks, and the English clubs could be getting chucked out of Europe...or playing their games on neutral soil...

I can definitely see the Premier League kickoff being delayed at the very least...

Shame really, think having it as a distraction might help.

Tommy Wiseau

Liverpool resident / ITV Granada journo:

Rioters have just chased us off smithdown road and bricked our car

Ooft. Kicking off again then.

Vehicle Depot At the Recycling Centre...

Apparently the fire is already out.

Great work by firefighters there. :yas:

chester copperpot

you jinx :verymad:

Just been routing my sightseeing journey from the bus station to the Strand aswell.

Sky news is pish tonight!

Try channel 847. Sangat TV. Live footage from Birmingham. Essentially a guy in a car with a camera.

JamboInSouthsea

It's certainly going to cause problems regarding football fullstop in all the areas, if not entire cities affected.

Was watching a few videos on YouTube last night and some of the comments regarding the images shown was suggesting that certain casuals and EDL types were up for taking revenge on these gangs which may prove to be ironic... :whistling:

Scott_HMFC1874

Poor attempt at a rumour on twitter that rioters have trashed London zoo and tigers are roaming the streets.

Pretty random rumour to start.

Sangat TV reporting that two dead in Birmingham. Hit and run with a car.

Rumours going round it's EDL (they were muslims), but no confirmation, and not a peep out of the Beeb or Sky.

Sangat are doing far better coverage of the Birmingham riots, and until today hardly anyone had heard of them...

ToadKiller Dog

Sangat TV reporting that two dead in Birmingham. Hit and run with a car.

Rumours going round it's EDL (they were muslims), but no confirmation, and not a peep out of the Beeb or Sky.

Sangat are doing far better coverage of the Birmingham riots, and until today hardly anyone had heard of them...

If that turns out to be true then brum will really erupt.

It's all been kicking off in Gloucester now, widespread looting and what sounds like a big fire at an abandoned college building and the library next door to it.

Tommy Wiseau

Sangat reporter has Tweeted that the third man involved in the rumoured hit and run has also died.

This isn't going away by the looks of things. :(

Chaka Demus & pliers

Sangat reporter has Tweeted that the third man involved in the rumoured hit and run has also died.

This isn't going away by the looks of things. :(

BBC website confirms 3 dead, thought to have been trying to protect the streets

The Mighty Thor

Potenial for it to kick off in Edinburgh.

Seemingly plans have been made / attempted and the cops are wise to it.

Hopefully nipped it in the bud. But there is extra policing the next few days.

From what i understand there is nothing more than the usual gossip.

There's no extra policing over the next few days in Edinburgh. The Festival is on and police numbers on the street are up anyway.

Apparently, according to Sky News earlier the majority of those facing the emergency courts yesterday recieved non-custodial sentences.

That'll teach them. <_<

Gregory House M.D.

Apparently, according to Sky News earlier the majority of those facing the emergency courts yesterday recieved non-custodial sentences.

That'll teach them. <_<

Yet they jailed a man who ATTEMPTED to cream-pie Rupert Murdoch? This Country is a disgrace.

The Mighty Thor

That'll teach them. dry.gif

Our prisons are full to capacity. They probably know that and that's why it's absolutely no deterrent to them smashing the place up.

Our prisons are full to capacity. They probably know that and that's why it's absolutely no deterrent to them smashing the place up.

Exactly, their are zero consequences for these scumbags. Their parents clearly are of the same stock, they probably have left or don't go to school - which in itself is restricted in how much discipline it can enforce, and their is no respect or fear of the law.

They KNOW they can get away with it and that someone will tell them THEY are the victims and it's society's/someone else's fault.

chester copperpot

Yet they jailed a man who ATTEMPTED to cream-pie Rupert Murdoch? This Country is a disgrace.

This.

Carl Spackler

Pretty sure there's somewhere we can keep them.

There's some empty community centres in Tottenham for a start.

Exactly, their are zero consequences for these scumbags. Their parents clearly are of the same stock, they probably have left or don't go to school - which in itself is restricted in how much discipline it can enforce, and their is no respect or fear of the law.

They KNOW they can get away with it and that someone will tell them THEY are the victims and it's society's/someone else's fault.

Yet we have numerous individuals unemployed desperate for work, who have the required skills to build such prisons. They are desperate to get off the benefits system, that costs us all a fortune. They wish to become tax payers by default of being employed, contributing to society.

What are the costs to the country of the last 4 days?

What will be the costs next time this arises and we still have no deterent?

Carl Spackler

This.

C'mon Chester. Are you saying they aren't arresting everyone they physically can or following up and arresting people then? Of course they are.

chester copperpot

C'mon Chester. Are you saying they aren't arresting everyone they physically can or following up and arresting people then? Of course they are.

I assume that this comment is very tongue and cheek, however I do think the country's judicial system in a disgrace, which was highlighted by the post I agreed with.

Carl Spackler

I assume that this comment is very tongue and cheek, however I do think the country's judicial system in a disgrace, which was highlighted by the post I agreed with.

Apologies. I didn't realise the full comment and statement about the sentences. I agree with you now. What's the point in catching them if you aren't going to properly punish them. That's where the Politicians need to grow a set.

chester copperpot

Apologies. I didn't realise the full comment and statement about the sentences. I agree with you now. What's the point in catching them if you aren't going to properly punish them. That's where the Politicians need to grow a set.

No need to apologise mate, I'm a bit on edge after 7 hours sleep the past 2 nights, damn those rioters keeping me awake.

I P Knightley

Yep. Too soft on crooked cops, too soft on bent MP's, too soft on robbing banks, spying media magnates and big corporations. The little guys see how the big guys make their money and follow suit. Role models come from those in high places. Our role models over the last 30 yrs have been hideous, greedy people with no respect for their fellow man. Is it any wonder the plebs are now behaving like animals?

The system is not just soft on small time criminals. It is unbelievably soft on big time criminals and people in power.

True.

People want stuff they can't afford and they want it now so they go round conventions (& laws) so that they can get that stuff now and to hell with anyone who stands in their way.

I'm not sure now whether I'm talking about the looters here or the bankers/politicians/media moguls...

I know this isn't much of a "contribution", but when the hell has it ever been any different? It's flaunted (technologically) these days, that's all.

I agree regarding the one set of rules for them and another for us, but again, that's always been the reality of it.

Also very true. There's always been the "haves" and the "have-nots" and a gulf between the rules that seem to govern each.

Regarding their incarceration; is there no deal to be done with our European Union colleagues whereby the UK can buy space in other countries' prisons? I'm sure that Hungary, Romania and the likes would be more than happy to accommodate some of our wrongdoers for a fee. Cheaper than building additional detention capacity in the UK, no doubt, and free up local capacity. Make me PM and there's my first policy for you... ;)

RoussetsShorts

:calmdown:

Geoff Kilpatrick

:calmdown:

Wonder if Cameron is saying that to Boris, who has now called for the police budget cuts to be put on hold? That'll put him in a fix as it is a gift to Labour.

That'll teach them. <_<

I could be wrong but

That will presumably include people like the woman seen taking seven items from a pound shop

It also suggests that the "Emergency Courts" are only being used for the lesser offences and/or they're getting the less serious ones out the way first.

This story is moving so fast that it's hard to keep up with the details so I may be wrong

Geoff Kilpatrick

Did anything happen last night in London, hopefully it's dying down now.

Funnily enough, hardly anything. No doubt because (i) all the best shit has been nicked, (ii) the looters were probably all pissed and stoned from their ill-gotten gains and (iii) they probably figured all the plod sent down to London made it a little trickier.

Any wonder the other cities that hadn't been rioting got in on the act, like Manchester?

Your role model point is a fair one in the sense that the cult of celebrity became bigger than ever. However, the best role models are friends and family. I always regard my old man as my role model even though he was far from perfect in his teenage years. Where are these yahoos' dads?

You can't blame the kid if he doesn't even know who his dad is. If you grew up in one of those tower blocks with no dad around you'd be a complete animal (or dead) by the time you were 15. It doesn't excuse their behaviour, but it explains why they don't give a shit about the consequences of any action. If you tell an employer that you live on one of those estates you'll have no chance of a job. The fact that a huge number of them didn't even cover their faces shows that they couldn't care less about being locked up. They are animals, but folk allowed them to grow up in an environment that could only create people like that. If the government were honest they'd tell you that people like that are always going to exist. For every rich person there are a thousand poor people. If the average standard of living is 5 on a 10 scale then there is 10% of the population are on 1.

The same folk on here who claim that no-one's life is bad enough to justify rioting wouldn't last a night in an East London tower block. These people are a product of their environment plain and simple. If any government in the last 30 yrs had any sense they would have torn down the tower blocks long ago. If you build a ghetto you can't be surprised when it creates ghetto dwelling crooks. The police gave up on these areas 15 yrs ago, so the residents have gotten used to living a lawless life - living off the proceeds of crime and robbing each other blind. Anyone who is surprised by these riots has their head up their arse.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You can't blame the kid if he doesn't even know who his dad is. If you grew up in one of those tower blocks with no dad around you'd be a complete animal (or dead) by the time you were 15. It doesn't excuse their behaviour, but it explains why they don't give a shit about the consequences of any action.

I agree. The problem is that even if the kid has a single parent, the mothers in these estates aren't giving a flying one either, because perverse incentives have been created to reward mothers for having babies irrespective of the circumstances. The schools used to be a good surrogate but that is no longer the case, particularly in the inner cities where teachers can't be attracted to teach. Furthermore, if caught, the punishments are meaningless.

If you tell an employer that you live on one of those estates you'll have no chance of a job. The fact that a huge number of them didn't even cover their faces shows that they couldn't care less about being locked up. They are animals, but folk allowed them to grow up in an environment that could only create people like that. If the government were honest they'd tell you that people like that are always going to exist. For every rich person there are a thousand poor people. If the average standard of living is 5 on a 10 scale then there is 10% of the population are on 1.

The ironic thing here is a lot of them are actually quite enterprising. If drugs were legalised, some of them could be tycoons!

The same folk on here who claim that no-one's life is bad enough to justify rioting wouldn't last a night in an East London tower block. These people are a product of their environment plain and simple. If any government in the last 30 yrs had any sense they would have torn down the tower blocks long ago. If you build a ghetto you can't be surprised when it creates ghetto dwelling crooks. The police gave up on these areas 15 yrs ago, so the residents have gotten used to living a lawless life - living off the proceeds of crime and robbing each other blind. Anyone who is surprised by these riots has their head up their arse.

I don't agree with this point. There are good people in these estates and they get stigmatised by association. In addition, they've had low density schemes in Belfast for years. It doesn't stop them acting like arseholes from time to time.

As for a lawless life, that's reflective of a failed policy of punishment when these people are put away.

what a disgusting man that aamer anwar is. disgusting in that an officer of the courts should make pre-judicial criticisms of the police in that way, and thereby risk fanning the flames of racial tensions. another moron who conveniently sets aside the existence of a loaded handgun at the scene.

another erse who jumped the gun (no pun) was that edinburgh university bod on newsnight scotland. he's seems to have already decided that the shooting was "unlawful killing" by the police.

why would police officers enroll for service in the armed units when they have shit like this to contend with? nobody appears to be willing to allow the IPCC to perform their investigation before mouthing off.

I don't agree with this point. There are good people in these estates and they get stigmatised by association. In addition, they've had low density schemes in Belfast for years. It doesn't stop them acting like arseholes from time to time.

As for a lawless life, that's reflective of a failed policy of punishment when these people are put away.

What punishment works though Geoff? What has worked in the USA where they are as harsh as can be? Low density and very high police presence is the only way to bring any sort of order. Deprive people of benefits and you just drive up the crime rate to supplement lost income.

The genie is out of the bottle and folk were well and truly warned that this was what was being created.

what a disgusting man that aamer anwar is. disgusting in that an officer of the courts should make pre-judicial criticisms of the police in that way, and thereby risk fanning the flames of racial tensions. another moron who conveniently sets aside the existence of a loaded handgun at the scene.

another erse who jumped the gun (no pun) was that edinburgh university bod on newsnight scotland. he's seems to have already decided that the shooting was "unlawful killing" by the police.

why would police officers enroll for service in the armed units when they have shit like this to contend with? nobody appears to be willing to allow the IPCC to perform their investigation before mouthing off.

What if after the IPCC enquiry Mr Anwar and the chap on Newsnight Scotland are right?

I don't mean to be arsey, and you are right that things should be commented on after the process has been gone through.

Archived