• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have skipped Pugin for now, but am enjoying this so far; historical fiction about the time the Russkies were going to lead the world:

book_red_plenty_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

Was an excellent read. Required reading for anyone who decries the role of prices ... and wants more Government bureaucracy and planning in the economy.

Next up

last-exit.gif

Started the following last night. Its pretty decent so far although I'm not sure I am supposed to laughing at the bits I have been.

fifth_business_front.jpg

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

41H17CX9WXL.jpg

Historical intrigue in Restoration Oxford. I've read a few things by Iain Pears and he's a good writer - erudite and interesting at all times. The same events are narrated through the vastly different accounts of four characters, who themselves are a mixture of fictional creations and real characters from the 17th century.

Conspiracy, social unrest, religious hatred and greed. A bit like what's going down at Ibrox just now.

I'm reading The Last Country: My Years In Japan by EWF Tomlin - obscure enough that there doesn't seem to be a google picture of it.

Was in Fopp yesterday and picked up Ransom by Jay McInerney, The Easter Parade by Richard Yates and Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard for a combined ?8. Not bad.

Coco, you must be the quickest reader in history. mellow.gif

Hubert Selby a bit easier to get through than Voltaire!

Had not realised how much of an influence he was on Irvine Welsh before.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just finished Last Exit to Brooklyn.

If you like stories about trannies getting bummed, job's a good 'un.

Even if you don't, compelling book

Creepy Lurker

Hubert Selby a bit easier to get through than Voltaire!

Had not realised how much of an influence he was on Irvine Welsh before.

I just meant in general. You seem to be posting about a book every two days! ohmy.gif

198296-L.jpg

Excellent read so far.

What was this like?

I've read a couple of his. His history of D-Day "Overlord" is pretty comprehensive but "Bomber Command" is a stunning book going through the history of the RAF, the changing strategies of bombing, to the psychology of the flight crews. Up until reading this, I believed the propaganda of the bravery of the crews. Knowing the fear they went through, the smell of puke and bodily fluids when they landed, doesn't diminish them. How they did this night after night is something I can't even contemplate.

Just finished this

9781408812587.jpg

Fantastic read. As it says on the back "ye couldnae make it up". Subterfuge, manipulation, luck and planning.

What was this like?

I've read a couple of his. His history of D-Day "Overlord" is pretty comprehensive but "Bomber Command" is a stunning book going through the history of the RAF, the changing strategies of bombing, to the psychology of the flight crews. Up until reading this, I believed the propaganda of the bravery of the crews. Knowing the fear they went through, the smell of puke and bodily fluids when they landed, doesn't diminish them. How they did this night after night is something I can't even contemplate.

Just finished this

9781408812587.jpg

Fantastic read. As it says on the back "ye couldnae make it up". Subterfuge, manipulation, luck and planning.

It was a good read bit I was surprised how little of the book was actually devoted to its supposed main subject. Huge parts of the book were devoted to the French resistance and how they were set up (obviously the resistance slowing down the divisions advance towards the D Day landings is a part of the story, but just thought they devoted too much time in to the background of the resistance)

Creepy Lurker

Finished Quantum of Tweed: the Man with the Nissan Micra by Conn Iggulden earlier.

It's from the 'Short Reads' series, and is about a middle aged owner of a menswear shop who becomes an assassin through a series of coincidences. Got it on the Kindle basically because it was cheap and I'm a fan of Iggulden's historical fiction, and it was diverting enough.

Just downloaded the complete works of Guy de Maupassant, so I'll have a go at one of his novels next.

Still reading Nemesis, very good so far.

But on my holiday last week I read this:

51jLjOgKnVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very good. If only the UK's policymakers of the last 15 years had read and understood this book we would be a lot better off. :down:

Transcendental

Never read any of his stuff before. Obviously he's well regarded but so far finding it a bit overrated. Will stick with it though.

286489_2010022707030179.jpg

519velUxriL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Product Description

Werner Heisenberg?s ?uncertainty principle? challenged centuries of scientific understanding, placed him in direct opposition to Albert Einstein, and put Niels Bohr in the middle of one of the most heated debates in scientific history. Heisenberg?s theorem stated that there were physical limits to what we could know about sub-atomic particles; this ?uncertainty? would have shocking implications. In a riveting account, David Lindley captures this critical episode and explains one of the most important scientific discoveries in history, which has since transcended the boundaries of science and influenced everything from literary theory to television.

Edited by hmfc_steve

Thoroughly enjoyed Nemesis, lots of interesting stories about parts of the Pacific War which usually get sidelined with discussion of the Manhattan Project.

Now a quick buzz through this

E_000018152115_DE_30.jpg

Gigolo-Aunt

Only started this last night so not made much of a dent in it yet, but all I can say so far is sod being a test pilot in America in the 1950's. The fatality % rate was incredibly high.

96060.jpg

Just finished Odin's Wolves, the third book in Giles Kristians Raven series. Good "boys own" Viking/Norsemen yarns.

Now halfway through Rotten, No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon with Keith & Kent Zimmerman. Another good read so far. Full of contradictions that annoy at first but end up making me smile.

Takeshi's Tynecastle

Never read any of his stuff before. Obviously he's well regarded but so far finding it a bit overrated. Will stick with it though.

286489_2010022707030179.jpg

I read LA Confidential and absolutely oved it, then went through most of his other books, aso enjoying them. So i was surprised that, when i eventually got to the highly rated American Tabloid, I didnt enjoy it much at all. So much so i havent got round to reading any of his more recent efforts. Perhaps if I knew more of the actual events of that time i'd have liked it better.

I;d recommend going back to The Black Dahlia or the Big Nowhere and reading on from there. LA Confidential remains his high point for me.

A Boy Named Crow

My friend recommended Birdsong to me. To be honest I've struggled with it, but once you get to the trenches it really picks up. Then there's this line...

"The others were discussing a battalion football match. An Edinburgh unit who were coming onto the line.nearby contained the entire Heart of Midlothian professional team and had proved unbeatable"

Didn't see that coming!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Creepy Lurker

Just finished The Dolce Diet: Living Lean by Mike Dolce.

As someone who participates in combat sports and is interested in sports nutrition, I thought that a book on the topic by MMA's supposed foremost expert on the subject could be interesting. A lot of the literature available on the internet is aimed more at the bodybuilding market, while the majority of other literature is based upon studies carried out upon endurance athletes; I thought that a book like this might help to address the specific demands of combat sports.

I was totally wrong. It was awful. If you've already worked out that you shouldn't eat Mars bars and broccoli is good for you, you will learn nothing at all from this overpriced pile of garbage.

Now reading Emile Zola's La Fortune des Rougon, which is the first of his Rougon Macquart series. It's...er...wordy. Think of a French Sir Walter Scott and you aren't far off. As a non-native speaker, even one with a good level of proficiency in the language, this is pretty tough going.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Gigolo-Aunt

Started this last night and only about 60 pages in, but its clear to see why Romanov has his paranoia about football corruption. We have not even left Ukraine yet and it has been one match fix after another with rules for some clubs and no rules for others.

422368.jpg

Have skipped Pugin for now, but am enjoying this so far; historical fiction about the time the Russkies were going to lead the world:

book_red_plenty_jpg_280x450_q85.jpg

I've just finished this. Absolutely fantastic book, brilliantly researched and written. He creates wonderfully drawn characters.

Just finished " the girl with the dragon tattoo". It was one of those books I just couldn't put down. Probably the best book I've read since " the secret speech" by Tom rob smith