The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

9780747535034.OL.jpg

Started the above last night - excellent so far.

It's a depressing old read, though. By the time you get to the end you realise how big are the gaps in everyone's knowledge about how - and even where - he spent much of his time after Cambridge. You also realise how sick everyone is of being asked to go over the same old ground. I found Humphries in some ways unsympathetic to some of his best songs, and, if I recall rightly, the book isn't helped by the lack of permission to print his lyrics. The guy was incredible - the voice and guitar technique were simply outstanding, and he was touched by lyrical genius.

I'm currently on the book below, which serves as a pretty fine introduction to the fabulous world of Byzantium. Been on it for ages, though.

61VVpg16ebL__SS500_.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a depressing old read, though. By the time you get to the end you realise how big are the gaps in everyone's knowledge about how - and even where - he spent much of his time after Cambridge. You also realise how sick everyone is of being asked to go over the same old ground. I found Humphries in some ways unsympathetic to some of his best songs, and, if I recall rightly, the book isn't helped by the lack of permission to print his lyrics. The guy was incredible - the voice and guitar technique were simply outstanding, and he was touched by lyrical genius.

I'm currently on the book below, which serves as a pretty fine introduction to the fabulous world of Byzantium. Been on it for ages, though.

61VVpg16ebL__SS500_.jpg

As the pages go by, it did get more of a depressing read, although I still did enjoy it (if that makes sense). Regarding the gaps with what was going on in his life, I think the fact that he grouped friends and never had them overlapping in his life never helped on that score. From what they said, it was not uncommon for them to go long periods of time without seeing him, only for him to pop up at their front door with a sleeping bag. Rather frustrating how little was known about depression back then, handing medication out like sweeties but not knowing the full extent of what they were actually handing out.

Such a shame as well as there is no footage of him playing the guitar.

As the pages go by, it did get more of a depressing read, although I still did enjoy it (if that makes sense). Regarding the gaps with what was going on in his life, I think the fact that he grouped friends and never had them overlapping in his life never helped on that score. From what they said, it was not uncommon for them to go long periods of time without seeing him, only for him to pop up at their front door with a sleeping bag. Rather frustrating how little was known about depression back then, handing medication out like sweeties but not knowing the full extent of what they were actually handing out.

Such a shame as well as there is no footage of him playing the guitar.

Absolutely. Your point about depression and the lack of information and counselling makes the late '60s and early '70s seem a long, long time ago. And the lack of footage of Nick Drake is absolutely bizarre, especially given the relatively high profile people like John Martyn and Richard Thompson who were in his musical circle at various times.

Have you heard the Family Tree album? Outtakes, alternative versions, home recordings with his mum and a piano. Doesn't sound all that thrilling, but there's some tremendous stuff on it.

Absolutely. Your point about depression and the lack of information and counselling makes the late '60s and early '70s seem a long, long time ago. And the lack of footage of Nick Drake is absolutely bizarre, especially given the relatively high profile people like John Martyn and Richard Thompson who were in his musical circle at various times.

Have you heard the Family Tree album? Outtakes, alternative versions, home recordings with his mum and a piano. Doesn't sound all that thrilling, but there's some tremendous stuff on it.

No, have not heard that. Will check it out, cheers.

Have you heard the one that the an American fan started a long distance letter relationship with Drake's parents, with him eventually being given access to the tapes Drake kept in his bedroom at his parents house? Don't think Joe Boyd was that thrilled with it?

No, have not heard that. Will check it out, cheers.

Have you heard the one that the an American fan started a long distance letter relationship with Drake's parents, with him eventually being given access to the tapes Drake kept in his bedroom at his parents house? Don't think Joe Boyd was that thrilled with it?

Yes, I think I read about him. Strange, and quite touching, that Nick Drake's parents were always so accommodating to the total strangers who turned up in Tanworth to see the house and the grave etc. Something vaguely ghoulish about the whole thing too - although, come to think of it, if I was ever in the area I probably wouldn't put it past myself...

:D

Apropos Joe Boyd - what a guy. I reckon he produced more of the great music of that time than anyone else, by a country mile. Don't know if you've read it, but the book below is a fantastic account of London, the '60s and all that.

5195o6cW87L__SS500_.jpg

Yes, I think I read about him. Strange, and quite touching, that Nick Drake's parents were always so accommodating to the total strangers who turned up in Tanworth to see the house and the grave etc. Something vaguely ghoulish about the whole thing too - although, come to think of it, if I was ever in the area I probably wouldn't put it past myself...

:D

Apropos Joe Boyd - what a guy. I reckon he produced more of the great music of that time than anyone else, by a country mile. Don't know if you've read it, but the book below is a fantastic account of London, the '60s and all that.

5195o6cW87L__SS500_.jpg

Cheers for the heads up on the Joe Boyd book.

Will defo read that at some point. Just trying to work my way through the pile next to my bed before the new Christmas pile comes round!

biggrin.gif

Boule de Suif by Guy de Maupassant.

This is going to look so pretentious...it's a collection of satirical short stories about late 19th century French society.

Basically, in first year at uni I had to read one of them and do an essay on it, but hadn't read the rest. As I'm moving to France next week, I thought I'd read a book in French to get more accustomed to doing it, and it made sense to use the one that I already had (and hadn't read). Otherwise, I can assure you that I wouldn't be doing anything anywhere near as pretentious as this. Honestly. :lol:

It's actually quite good. :mellow:

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Boule de Suif by Guy de Maupassant.

This is going to look so pretentious...it's a collection of satirical short stories about late 19th century French society.

Basically, in first year at uni I had to read one of them and do an essay on it, but hadn't read the rest. As I'm moving to France next week, I thought I'd read a book in French to get more accustomed to doing it, and it made sense to use the one that I already had (and hadn't read). Otherwise, I can assure you that I wouldn't be doing anything anywhere near as pretentious as this. Honestly. :lol:

It's actually quite good. :mellow:

Try Montesqiue's Lettres Persanes. It's early 18th century and even more pretentious but is a genuinely wonderful satirical read.

Sounds good, I'll look into it when I'm over there! What sort of level is the French at?

This is the sort of thing that I could tell people at dinner parties to make myself look intelligent. Not that I've ever been to a dinner party. :(

Sounds good, I'll look into it when I'm over there! What sort of level is the French at?

This is the sort of thing that I could tell people at dinner parties to make myself look intelligent. Not that I've ever been to a dinner party. :(

Not a clue how tricky the french is, i've only ever read it in english. It's written by a frenchman, but its written as a series of letters between an exiled Arab in france and various members of his harem. That means there's the occasional obscure arabic/muslim term but other than that i dont imagine the language would be to strange.

Candide would be a good shout too. Very funny in english; i know a few folk who read it in french for first year uni so i dont think it'd be too hard.

Say What Again

Just finishing the third book in Jo Nesbo's, Harry Hole series, 'The Devils Star'.

The characters have developed well over the 3 books, and it looks like (is) providing an exciting climax to the third installment.

AAAADMT1pgoAAAAAAXF8Ew.jpg?v=1312567546000

Disser Pointon

Onto my third of Roberts Crais' "Elvis Cole and Joe Pike" novels. Cracking characters and Joe Pike is very reminiscent of Jack Reacher from Lee Childs books which I also like.

I'm now reading The Diamond Chariot by Boris Akunin. It's the latest in his series of Erast Fandorin mysteries, which follow the adventures of a Russian super sleuth in the late 19th and early 20th-century. Like the rest of the series, this one's great fun so far.

just finished tinker tailor soldier spy. wanted to read the book before i saw the film as i didnt want to be totally perplexed throughout the movie. wasn't really my cup of tea though; still really looking forward to the movie though.

418pF22aZuL._SS500_.jpg

Boy in the work wrote it. Its his first book and although its a genre that i dont normally read i thought it was a wee belter. Got to be worth a shot at only ?1.72 for the Kindle.

Just started reading red dragon the first book in the hannibal lecter series

k

One of my fave reads from many years back , long before Sir Anthony Hopkins came on the scene.

At the moment I am reading '1491'. It's a view on the 'new' world as it really was before Columbus et al came along and killed everyone off and completely buggered the country , wiping out most cultures.

Totally refutes the old predujices about starving savages who never did anything of any significance. A bit boring in parts but an interesting read overall.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I see Amazon has just released a smaller, faster, slicker, cheaper Kindle one month after I bought one.

:muggy:

• 3 weeks later...

ferguson_niall.jpg

Interesting but with a slight smarm about it. I like Ferguson's focus on economic issues in his histories though.

Next up halfway through this:

matterhorn.jpg

Excellent so far.

paul-merson-hero-and-villain-book-signed-copy.jpg

295trf8.jpg

Both excellent.

Christmas is getting closer, need to get the old pile of books next to my bed down before then.

just finished a few books so here goes

the protector by duncan falconer...set in iraq easy enough book to read enjoyable 7/10

deep black by andy mcnab.....bit disappointing again set in iraq with a bit of serbia thrown in I just expected better from an author I`ve read and enjoyed more in other books 5/10

the victors.....stephen e ambrose ai in all his books america won the 2nd world war however still a cracking read 9/10

masters and commanders by andrew roberts heavy going but good ,think it`ll take me a while to finish it

Just finishing the third book in Jo Nesbo's, Harry Hole series, 'The Devils Star'.

The characters have developed well over the 3 books, and it looks like (is) providing an exciting climax to the third installment.

AAAADMT1pgoAAAAAAXF8Ew.jpg?v=1312567546000

one in front of you on the Redeemer now.will have to finish the lot beforr reading Rankins nrw tome which arrived today.New McBride out in thr new year get it ordered

schoolboy.jpg

Big book, rambles now and again, but I really enjoyed it.

pecesd.jpg

Daily life in the Basque Country/Euskadi in the shadow of ETA written by a Basque with more sympathy for the victims than for the perpetrators.

Edited by Flankengott

And just finished this by Alan Furst. Great writer on resistance/intelligence/spystuff in Central and Eastern Europe leading up to and into the second world war.

bloodofvictory.jpg

Creepy Lurker

Unbearably pretentiously, I'm reading 'Marie Stuart' by Stephan Zweig.

That might not seem very pretentious at the first glance, but it's a book about Mary, Queen of Scots by a German historian and I'm reading it in French. Why? I honestly don't know. It isn't even good. Or rather, it's engagingly written but full of sweeping statements and ridiculously bad historiography.

Oh well.

Unbearably pretentiously, I'm reading a thread about politics/economics/philosophy in the JKB Shed.

[....] It's full of sweeping statements and ridiculously bad histrionics.

Oh well.

Fixed that for you. :whistling:

::troll:::'>

Creepy Lurker

Unbearably pretentiously, I'm reading a thread about politics/economics/philosophy/scrambled eggs/the weather in the JKB Shed.

[....] It's full of sweeping statements and ridiculously bad histrionics.

Oh well.

Further amendment.

steven-adler-book-my-appetite-for-destruction.jpg

If you can get past a book being ghost written, which i generally can't, then it's a decent rock bio. Lots of stories that are clearly BS but a few that are quite fun and one or two that are enlightening about the band. Worth the two bucks i paid for it.

412.jpg

Tries to do a few things and doesnt fully hit the mark with many of them. Chunks of the book being written as a screenplay starts off as novel, but then you realise its mostly done as it allows a lot of the duller parts of the story to be covered swiftly. Not fry's best.