• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for whom the bell tolls. can't wait to finish it so I can stop reading it. I just can't seem to read more than 15 pages without needing to stop. I quite enjoyed fiesta but I just can't be doing with this.

Creepy Lurker

Currently on Christopher Brookmyre's Pandaemonium; a book which has been 'on the list' for so long that the author has had time to bring out a new one.

Good so far, but I think he's starting to lose his knack for writing in authentic seeming patter. Some of his ned characters are cracking out words more suited to your average university professor. Still entertaining, though.

Read this some time ago quite dissapointed very disjointed IMO how are you finding it. (I am a HUGE!! SM fan have been since the early sixties)

TBH I've only just started yesterday. Still on his family background, lots of luvverly kneesup round the old joanna, cor blimey guv'nor etc etc.

I'm not Paulo Hewitts biggest fan either, always comes across as a simpering wannabe.

Just about finished this:

how-an-economy-grows-and-why-it-crashes.jpg

A really good, allegorical account of basic economics and trade, which explains and clarifies the decisions that were made that've landed us in the mess we're in.

It's centred mostly around US economics (historical and modern) but, as my Geography teacher used to say, 'if America sneezes, the world catches a cold'. A useful book if economics confuses you and the majority of what's talked about in terms of the world's financial climate goes over your head a little; I was definitely in this camp.

Edited by neave

041329.jpg

Not really enjoying this (a 30 page misprint repeat print didn't help).

Reckon the author was thinking the same as me when he got to halfway - and regretted writing such a boring book! I'm hoping it livens up a bit with the World Wars.

Is that a new release.Love a good wild west read.

Think it's from the early 70's, Benny. Have only read the first 40 pages or so this afternoon - but its good so far,

I'm always a bit wary of Stephen Ambrose books after reading the flack he has taken for alleged "nicking" of material of other books. He has also been panned for factual errors.

Still, the ones I have read have been enjoyable.

Say What Again

bb_99_0319-500x500.jpg

Factual, GA?

Might check that out.

EDIT: Just saw your post above

Edited by Jack of Hearts

513VMAEYG4L.jpg

Had this lying around the house for years and eventually got round to reading it. Astonishing novel: six standalone, self-contained stories, set at different times in the past and the future, in one book. The stories are linked only by the most tenuous of circumstances and by an unusual birthmark shared by their main characters which leads to the suspicion that they are different incarnations of the same person. The structure is interesting - each of the stories apart from the sixth is interrupted and then finished in the second half of the book, so it goes 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1; all very symmetrical and contrived. The range of settings and contexts is vast - attempted murder against the backdrop of 19th century colonialism in the South Seas, sexual intrigue in post-WW1 Belgium, trashy American 1970s thriller, high 1980s farce in the grandest of English traditions, dystopian future in the style of Orwell or Huxley.

What makes it stand out is the language. The author is a master craftsman and can turn his hand to imitation or pastiche of any style; some of the comic writing is reminiscent of Evelyn Waugh, David Lodge, Sebastian Coe and Martin Amis all rolled into one, while the stories set in the future have their own artificial language in the style of Orwellian Newspeak or Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. It's virtuoso stuff. I didn't like all of it and I suspect not many people would - the contrast in styles as you jump from story to story means you're frequently wishing you were back with the narrative voice you enjoyed best. But it's ultimately very rewarding, if difficult to get into at first and a very considerable read at over 500 pages.

A film version of this is due out in 2012. I'm intrigued to see how they manage the plot - it's a massive undertaking. I'll also be trying more of Mitchell's books, starting with number9dream.

Edited by leginten

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I've read nothing but textbooks and journals for a month now.

Can't wait to get stuck into a good book. Going to pick up one of the war efforts recommended on here I think.

513VMAEYG4L.jpg

Had this lying around the house for years and eventually got round to reading it. Astonishing novel: six standalone, self-contained stories, set at different times in the past and the future, in one book. The stories are linked only by the most tenuous of circumstances and by an unusual birthmark shared by their main characters which leads to the suspicion that they are different incarnations of the same person. The structure is interesting - each of the stories apart from the sixth is interrupted and then finished in the second half of the book, so it goes 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1; all very symmetrical and contrived. The range of settings and contexts is vast - attempted murder against the backdrop of 19th century colonialism in the South Seas, sexual intrigue in post-WW1 Belgium, trashy American 1970s thriller, high 1980s farce in the grandest of English traditions, dystopian future in the style of Orwell or Huxley.

What makes it stand out is the language. The author is a master craftsman and can turn his hand to imitation or pastiche of any style; some of the comic writing is reminiscent of Evelyn Waugh, David Lodge, Sebastian Coe and Martin Amis all rolled into one, while the stories set in the future have their own artificial language in the style of Orwellian Newspeak or Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. It's virtuoso stuff. I didn't like all of it and I suspect not many people would - the contrast in styles as you jump from story to story means you're frequently wishing you were back with the narrative voice you enjoyed best. But it's ultimately very rewarding, if difficult to get into at first and a very considerable read at over 500 pages.

A film version of this is due out in 2012. I'm intrigued to see how they manage the plot - it's a massive undertaking. I'll also be trying more of Mitchell's books, starting with number9dream.

Looks like a reasonable cast

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/fullcredits#cast

Tom Hanks, Hugo Weaving, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant

I've read nothing but textbooks and journals for a month now.

Can't wait to get stuck into a good book. Going to pick up one of the war efforts recommended on here I think.

What war book are you going to go for. Alan?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

What war book are you going to go for. Alan?

Open to suggestions bud.

Preferably something I can get for free on my Kindle.

Open to suggestions bud.

Preferably something I can get for free on my Kindle.

Matterhorn (benny posted a pic on this page) is brilliant.

I've just finished Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis, which was good. I love that detached, satirical writing style, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. With that book and Lunar Park, I like how he's increasingly blurring the lines between his life and his characters.

Cocaine Nights by Ballard is up next.

Re: Cloud Atlas - when I wrote "Sebastian Coe", I obviously meant Jonathan Coe.

:sterb147:

Dear oh dear. Old age is a fecker.

Say What Again

Re: Cloud Atlas - when I wrote "Sebastian Coe", I obviously meant Jonathan Coe.

:sterb147:

Dear oh dear. Old age is a fecker.

Thank God for that!

I was a bit WTF? :lol:

following on from gigaloAunt`s book on Paddy Main

I`ve just finished a SAS book called

The Nemesis File by ex SAS man Paul Bruce

whilst the story isnt the deepset in terms of detailed info (thankfully) the bases of the story is simply incredible and anyone who has an interset in either the armed forces and/or the political situation in the early to mid days of the N Ireland conflict should have a read at this book.

As a staunch supporter of our armed forces it really angers me the way the politions used these men to do one hell of a dirty job

more than happy to hand it over at the next home game if anyone wants it

Reading "Glue" by Mr Welsh at night and "The Executor" by Jesse Kellerman in the day (Glue is paperback, Executor on PC Kindle at work during lunch & breaks).

Really enjoyed "The Brutal Art" by Kellerman (My Dad thought it was crap though) and thought it worth trying another one. So far appeals to me but its certainly not to everyone's taste going by the Amazon ratings.

Had a quick buzz through a couple of cheap bargain bin picks - nothing too surprising in the Lyle book and the McEnroe one reads like an extended magazine article:

9780755314720-1-2.jpg41GFPEBSJ1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Now reading this:

Book7.jpg

Creepy Lurker

Now on L'Etranger by Camus. Bit of a clich?d choice but I hadn't read it since school, at which point I wasn't old enough to fully appreciate it. Enjoying it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

murakami-underground.jpg

Obviously different from his usual work. Interesting though, and filled with little touches of Murakami throughout. :thumb:

Intriguing on a lesser scale is how he describes the different people's recollections of the same event. Just like on here where a black incident can be described as grey or white by different posters.

murakami-underground.jpg

Obviously different from his usual work. Interesting though, and filled with little touches of Murakami throughout. :thumb:

Intriguing on a lesser scale is how he describes the different people's recollections of the same event. Just like on here where a black incident can be described as grey or white by different posters.

Watched the DVD of Norwegian Wood this afternoon - excellent if even darker in mood than the book.