The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Interesting but with a slight smarm about it. I like Ferguson's focus on economic issues in his histories though.

Next up halfway through this:

matterhorn.jpg

Excellent so far.

Highly recommended if you like books about the grunts in Vietnam.

Have started this

tumblr_lnvfftr2eT1qc5ejmo1_250.jpg

Always feel I am missing something (priestly education?) when I read Graham Greene though ...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of dipping into and out of two books at the moment. Partly because I keep buying new books!

The two I'm reading are;

Brown-at-10-final.jpg

Quite an interesting read. How from day 1 the vultures were circulling. But also lights up the failings of those around him, especially the Blairites in Cabinet, who failed to stand up and be counted when they should've and as a result created a schism. Also how in the Election that never was, he was told by Balls and Alexander to go for it and get a mandate for 4 or 5 years and stop in dissent in the party growing, but how he finally gets put off by a mixture of international events which make such a move too risky and also pressure from both Civil Service and political advisers not to do it then. Balls basically gets blamed for everything by everyone else in Cabinet, politics and civil service, but on a balanced review of his service he was both the best and one of the most able Cabinet ministers present. Not finished, but getting to the crunch of the crash and Brown is coming out really well. The sources of foreign governments and their fears of a British Govt without Brown are very interesting. (Clegg comes across as a very principled man, but easily lead. Whilst Cameron comes across as the base oppurtunist with no real political beliefs or plan that he is proving to be.)

And dipping into this too;

the-spirit-level-why-equality-.jpeg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1319573172&Signature=sOwdoJdUIZxFe2Dg%2FdI3y95IG1Q%3D

Again very interesting. Basically shows that the only way wealth helps improve living standards is in developing nations and how when you get to 1st world nations living standards freeze and are relative to one another. Basically highlighting the failure of consumer based economies where wealth is before wellbeing and society make worse nations, really interesting. Can see why both those on the left and right of the spectrum are calling this book as influential as the Beveridge Report in the 1940s. Really shows the failings of western nations.

Edited by JamboX2

Have started this

Always feel I am missing something (priestly education?) when I read Graham Greene though ...

Funny thing about Greene is that his popularity seems to have waned a lot in the last twenty years. You're lucky if you find more than a couple of titles in most bookshops. When I was younger he was just about at the top of the list of British 20th century authors you had to have read, along with maybe Orwell and Huxley (whose star has also faded). Consequently I read just about everything he had ever written and was suitably impressed. I agree about the priestly education bit, though - you never really feel you can quite relate to everything that motivates his characters unless you're au fait with the tortured Catholic soul. A bit like Evelyn Waugh at times.

Say What Again

one in front of you on the Redeemer now.will have to finish the lot beforr reading Rankins nrw tome which arrived today.New McBride out in thr new year get it ordered

9780099505969_l.jpg

Actually finished that last week but didn't get round to posting it here.

I commented to the missus' half way through it that it was was the best of the Harry Hole books so far. I've enjoyed them all, but this just seemed to have something extra. The action takes more twists and turns and is more intense than the previous 3. It read more like a Jefferey Deaver book.

Really enjoyed it, hope you do too.

Onto the 5th installment now.

51CCmIHPoCL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have started this

We did that at school.

I thought it was pish but I may well have been wrong

If you think your missing something in it now because you're not catholic imagine trying to read it before you've ever fallen in love

On the subject of wierd Catholics I'm about to start on Brideshead revisited. I've just finished the Gospel of Mark (King James version with an introduction by Nick Cave)

Edited by topcat

Have started this

Traditional Hearts Supporter type post imo. :smuggy:

Just got one of they new Kindles through the other day and done some highly legitimate downloading onto it. Starting off with a Graham Greene myself actually:

the-quiet-american.jpeg?1280669277

Traditional Hearts Supporter type post imo. :smuggy:

Just got one of they new Kindles through the other day and done some highly legitimate downloading onto it. Starting off with a Graham Greene myself actually:

the-quiet-american.jpeg?1280669277

I found the End of the Affair a bit boring really, perhaps was shocking its day with its descriptions of infidelity/fake marriages etc. I am not surprised that a teenage audience at school struggled a bit with it. Not my favourite of his books.

Next up is a Tea Towel Traditionalist's favourite book:

image_2288991.jpg

Trainspotting, for the 9th time I think. Thought it was time I debased my Kindle with some Welsh. Downloaded, like the rest of KB's collections, legitimately ofc.

So cheers Irvine - We know you're a tad obssessed with KB and will be reading this on your iphone as .net and bounce will be a bit unbearable this morning I imagine ;)

Coco with your "no priestly education" professions and stiff upper lives Rule Britannia reading choices, you are making a play for the Traditional Hearts Supporter of the year award. :lol:

Prima, which reputable bookstore did you purchase Trainspotting in? I couldn't find it in any of my usual outlets. :ninja:

Coco with your "no priestly education" professions and stiff upper lives Rule Britannia reading choices, you are making a play for the Traditional Hearts Supporter of the year award. :lol:

Prima, which reputable bookstore did you purchase Trainspotting in? I couldn't find it in any of my usual outlets. :ninja:

I'm putting this at the top of my list for Santa:

The Traditionalist's Choice of Drying Utensil

Really need to find something new to read...

Don't really have a favourite genre of sorts...but as I enjoyed stuff like Tom Clancy (Jack Ryan novels) etc..

Have exhausted my re-reading of war books. Saying that might go back to Fighter Boys and then Bomber Boys.

Basically, anything war related will be lapped up.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Harold Bishop

Really need to find something new to read...

Don't really have a favourite genre of sorts...but as I enjoyed stuff like Tom Clancy (Jack Ryan novels) etc..

Have exhausted my re-reading of war books. Saying that might go back to Fighter Boys and then Bomber Boys.

Basically, anything war related will be lapped up.. :thumbsup:

Would recommend having a re read of this thread, Arnold - loads of excellent war books have been read by many.

Would recommend having a re read of this thread, Arnold - loads of excellent war books have been read by many.

:lol:

Think I better. Anything specific?

Edited by Harold Bishop

The Forgotten Highlander.

thumbsup.gif

Cool. :thumbsup:

How was Colditz?

(Spent a good few hours watching the tv series...!)

Cool. :thumbsup:

How was Colditz?

(Spent a good few hours watching the tv series...!)

Not been yet, mate - hoping to go to Berlin at the start of next year. Looking to go to Colditz for a couple of days on the trip.

Colditz is a brilliant TV series.

thumbsup.gif

Channel 4 has some good stuff on WWII.

Commando/ Apocalypse/ The Last Heroes/ Hell in the Pacific..

All on 4OD.

Still the Grenadier guards scene in Colditz Story rocks.

Mind you them froggies were a bit agile... :)

Edited by Harold Bishop

Uusually i've not enjoyed murakami's 'girly' novels, preferring the ones where random shit happens but south_of_the_border_west_of_the_sun.large.jpg was tremendous. It's not a long book but several times i had to take a break from reading it to contemplate just what i felt about what was happening. He's an achingly good author at times. Really enjoyed it. Next up, The Iliad.

Edited by 2NaFish

Recently finished Fold by Tom Campbell and Citrus County by John Brandon. Would recommend them both.

9781408807606.jpg

Fold is a really good account of middle-aged, middle-class male futility and the culture of (non-)friendly competition. A really good read.

citrus.jpg?w=300&h=300

I was really surprised by this. An excellent, albeit it quite disturbing, story in which the author garners sympathy for characters you otherwise would dislike (well, 2 of the 3 anyway) through really impressive, introspective narration.

Would definitely recommend both of these. Next up is some of Bukowski's poetry, which I'm loving, then Breakfast of Champions by Kirk Vonnegut, then Arkansas by Brandon.

Edited by neave

To Rule The Waves was fascinating. The writer's case basically was that everything which happened in the world between the 16th Century and the Second World War happened as it did because of the Royal Navy. Great stories in the book though.

Now reading this:

33344120.JPG

I've loved Salinger's command of language since I first read Catcher in the Rye. First couple of stories in 9 Stories have been a bit contrived but with that great tone his writing has.

Reading Kelman's short stories "if it is your life" which I'm finding quite hard going. I think he's a brilliant writer, as good as the best existentialists, but I wish he'd cheer up a bit.

For anyone who asked about Chaotic justice coming out in paperback, I'm hoping that it'll be available early next year. Still available as an ebook at ABook2Read.com

"It's So Easy (and other Lies) - Duff McKagan.

Given where duff was in his life at certain points, for him to turn out such a well written book as an incredible achievement. Read it in one sitting and it was fantastic.

I'm 2/3 of the way through "I am Ozzy" by Ozzy Osbourne. The early part was ok as it was about his early life and how Black Sabbath was formed, but the middle has been pretty much rinse and repeat as he was permanently off his tree.

I never thought I'd say this when I started the book, but I'm looking forward to him drying out so he can say something different.