The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

51B2lTw-JmL.jpg512SMQVKKRL.jpg

Just finished reading these two, both of which are set in 1930s Lisbon as the Salazar dictatorship begins to take a grip. The Saramago novel is very literary and pretty hard going at times, but the Tabucchi book is an easy read and very engaging - I finished it in one three-hour session.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished this. Loved Fup by the same author, and this one has the same great characterisations and dialogue ... but a bit of a childish story ...

stone-junction-jim-dodge.jpg

Next up

336472.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Say What Again

Have just finished reading The Railway Man. The extremely powerful and emotional story of Eric Lomax. Born in Joppa and whisked away in his early twenties to fight in Singapore in WWII. Captured when the Allied forces surrendered after a matter of days, in what Churchill described as "largest capitulation in British history", the book tells of his life and torture in the POW camp while building the Burma-Siam railway, then his struggles to adapt back into everyday life and eventual meeting with one of his Japanese tortures.

I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

pid265cc226b39a1a6@large.jpg

Just finished Books 1 & 2 of Peter Mays Lewis Trilogy.

Just started reading robin Jenkins The Cone Gatherers again

Got new Brookmyre and Mina lined up.

I've just discovered the author Ken Follett and his books are really informative and well written. Currently reading the first part of his "Century" trilogy called "Fall of Giants". Full of history, mystery and intrigue at the start of the 20th century and a very good read.

Say What Again

Just finished this:

51+-D+uTlmL._SL175_.jpg

Best book I've read in quite some time.

Have just bought this from Amazon based on your recommendation (and Wikipedia) :thumbsup:

Just finished Books 1 & 2 of Peter Mays Lewis Trilogy.

Just started reading robin Jenkins The Cone Gatherers again

Got new Brookmyre and Mina lined up.

I see a theatre version of this is coming to the Kings soon.

I'm reading this ...

Predictably_Irrational.jpg

... fairly standard run through some behavioural economics stuff.

Have just bought this from Amazon based on your recommendation (and Wikipedia) :thumbsup:

Good stuff. Hopefully you enjoy it. There's a blurb on the back that calls it "a blend of Deadwood, Elmore Leonard and Laurel and Hardy's darker, more tragic twins", which sums it up better than I ever could.

Read Time's Arrow by Martin Amis on a recent flight. Very creative and well written - starts off quite funny before getting increasingly harrowing at the end.

Just finished this

51Ra5XTEe6L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

A few chapter in and really enjoying it... "Gary Neville is a red, he hates scousers" thumbsup.gif Get it here My link

120109-red-by-gary-neville.jpeg

Edited by jambo_

the-worst-journey-in-the-world.jpg

2 amazing stories in this book ... the trip to find the Penguin eggs tramping uncharted territory in the pitch black of the Antartic winter - and then the story of the Pole attempt/effort to find Scott.

I am fascinated by all the South Polar expedition books but that one is the best. I would love to go and visit Scott's hut at Cape Evans.

:thumb:

2 amazing stories in this book ... the trip to find the Penguin eggs tramping uncharted territory in the pitch black of the Antartic winter - and then the story of the Pole attempt/effort to find Scott.

I am fascinated by all the South Polar expedition books but that one is the best. I would love to go and visit Scott's hut at Cape Evans.

:thumb:

Really enjoying it so far. They have not even left their boat as yet and it sounds like a bloody nightmare navigating the sea's they are in!

Really enjoying it so far. They have not even left their boat as yet and it sounds like a bloody nightmare navigating the sea's they are in!

Just wait 'til you get to the penguin journey.

It is incredible, unbelievable nearly impossible that they survived ... and then a couple of them set out to be second group at the South Pole a few months later.

Say What Again

Have just finished reading The Railway Man. The extremely powerful and emotional story of Eric Lomax. Born in Joppa and whisked away in his early twenties to fight in Singapore in WWII. Captured when the Allied forces surrendered after a matter of days, in what Churchill described as "largest capitulation in British history", the book tells of his life and torture in the POW camp while building the Burma-Siam railway, then his struggles to adapt back into everyday life and eventual meeting with one of his Japanese tortures.

I'd highly recommend it to everyone.

pid265cc226b39a1a6@large.jpg

Sadly, Eric Lomax passed away on Tuesday. :(

The-Book-Thief.jpg

Loving this buta bit worried about where it's going. Next up

lonesome-dove-book12.jpg

The others in the Lonesome Dove (trilogy or quadrilogy I forget) series are great too.

Didn't enjoy No Country for Old Men but am now reading this.

51WlHH01aeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Good read so far.

Have read a bit too many WW2 books and was starting to find they a bit going over the same old ground but have enjoyed the detail that this goes in to.

9781853266775.jpg

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

Just finished Books 1 & 2 of Peter Mays Lewis trilogy

I've just started reading book 1 and it seems quite good so far. The best thing is with me living in lewis , I know everywhere they mention.

I'm used to it about other parts of the country like when I read rebus books. But when they mention the bangla spice Indian restaraunt , I decided to phone them and order a scran.

Also , when he mentions having lunch in the crown hotel and says it is busy , that's a lie. The place is a hole and is only any good near closing time

I've just started reading book 1 and it seems quite good so far. The best thing is with me living in lewis , I know everywhere they mention.

I'm used to it about other parts of the country like when I read rebus books. But when they mention the bangla spice Indian restaraunt , I decided to phone them and order a scran.

Also , when he mentions having lunch in the crown hotel and says it is busy , that's a lie. The place is a hole and is only any good near closing time

Just realised that I'm reading the second book and not the first. Ah we'll , still enjoying it though

• 2 weeks later...

Just started Wilbur Smith - Monsoon, second Hal Courney pirate adventure from Smith that I have read, really enjoyed the first and getting into the second even if everything is written in minute detail that is a bit unneccessary at times x

• 2 weeks later...

art-ck_prettyhorses.jpeg

Was excellent. Picked up the whole Borders Trilogy in Fopp for ?6. Bargain even though I've not read the 2nd and 3rd parts yet. :thumb:

Now reading this:

tumblr_lszykrYKJ01r4f083o1_400.jpg

The People's Chimp

Took Ian Banks' Transition away with me on holiday the other week, was a riproaring blast, half way between his standard work and his sci fi. Excellent, although it dipped in a few places, I thought it was very enjoyable, and quite an interesting concept. The "christian terrorist" stuff seemed a little laboured, although as an idea it has mileage, were an entire book to be framed around the exploration of those themes.

I also finished George Orwell - coming up for air. Orwell's command of the English language is so impressive; I often find myself awestruck by his clarity, his writing, so stylish yet taut. A real pleasure, like a morning cigarette, or a late night cigar, something to treasure and drink in, letting the writing swirl around like the smoke from that cigar.

Not long since finished reading " the burglar who painted like Mondrian " by Lawrence block.

It is 1 of a series and is quite different to any other detective type book I've read. The unwitting hero owns a second hand bookstore amd is a burglar in his spare time. Very witty but with a very clever storyline as well.

It gets the superjack 2 thumbs up

Reading McCraes Battalion for the 3rd time , downloaded onto my kindle due to giving paperback copies out twice & never getting them returned. It`s an excellent read and well worth reading for anyone who`s never read it before . :thumbsup:

Captain America

Found this an absolutely fascinating read.

512NLK2W5CL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Have you read Young Stalin by the same guy? I really enjoyed that aswell.

Have you read Young Stalin by the same guy? I really enjoyed that aswell.

Not read it yet although I downloaded it onto the Kindle about 2 weeks ago. Really looking forward to it.