The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Gigolo-Aunt

3 books together. Started to read this last night - enjoying it so far. Have read a few of his books, have found them hard to put down.

border-trilogy.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last one was this

sputnik-sweetheart.jpg

Am getting a bit bored with Murakami. "D fed the cat and then went to the refrigerator. He found some noodles and ate them with one bottle of beer. Then he imagined another reality ..."

Just started this ... promising so far

9780141014180.jpg

Gigolo-Aunt

Started reading the first Flashman as I was looking for something light during a period of study.

Good fun so far.

Have read 3 or 4 of the Flashman books, they are superb. Really laugh out loud stuff.

41ae91YoBIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Got this on the eReader. Quite good and he is good on the atmosphere of a trial. But he rather skips through the details of each case and goes straight to the alleged controversy. A slower pace might have helped.

• 2 weeks later...
Stewart MacD

I was impressed by "Wolf Hall", but will wait a while before tackling the new episode of Thomas Cromwell's full life - I am more interested in the French Revolution than in the English Court.

I have just finished "A Place of greater Safety", Hilary Mantel's first novel. The 900-odd pages really brought these heady days to life. Loved it!

post-1245-0-12611200-1336814607_thumb.jpeg

Creepy Lurker

Where the Bodies are Buried by Christopher Brookmyre. It's alright so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been reading this trilogy.

Hunger_games_trilogy.jpg

And thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt at times like an updated form of Dungeons and Dragons style go to page 40 get killed, okay go back to page 98, then to page 240 where something else shocking happens etc ...

Next up

51FhgSiduqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Creepy Lurker

Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant. I actually quite like Maupassant, which surprises me. Definitely easier to read than Zola.

Don Draper

Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant. I actually quite like Maupassant, which surprises me. Definitely easier to read than Zola.

Read that at uni. Found GdM much more 'accessible' than some of the other French authors that were chucked at us.

Really enjoying the second volume of David Kynaston's post-War History of Britain. Great mix of social, economic, political history.

102998946.jpg

Makes me wonder how the future historians are going to write the social history of the current era. We can't even get some of the gem threads of Kickback from 5 years ago :lol:

Creepy Lurker

Read that at uni. Found GdM much more 'accessible' than some of the other French authors that were chucked at us.

Definitely agree. Even the modern ones can be pretty hard going at times!

Finished this now and enjoyed it, now reading When the Devil Drives by Christopher Brookmyre.

Jimmy McNulty

Bomber COmmand was excellent -- good call from a previous poster on this thread. Forgot to return to library though -- cost me $9 in late fees!!

1485175_110912211807_HighCrimesJosephFinder289_f.jpg

Just started this, pretty good so far as are most of his books

garnet.jpg

Just finished this, not as good as I hoped but it was alright

Gigolo-Aunt

Really enjoyed the first season of Game of Thrones so thought would give the book a bash. Not really the sort of book I would usually read but have been enjoying it so far.

a-game-of-thrones-book-1-of-a-song-of-ice-and-fire.jpg

New Odd Thomas short story by Dean Koontz should have arrived in my Kindle today so will crack on with that later

It's in 3 parts only available on Kindle with Part 2 next Monday and Part 3 the following week then the new novel is out in July

:jjyay:

Edited by MalkyMcFrench

[/codhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0857380729/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=bookse] Only ?3 for a good read.

Gigolo-Aunt

Only read about 20 pages or so last night as was pretty tired but its really interesting. Only talking about the weight of gear the soldiers in Vietnam carried - but **** me, how on earth half of them could move. Sod being on the heavy machine guns.

ThingsTheyCarried.JPG

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

Still reading Family Britain but after seeing the Charlatans on the Tellin Stories tour at the weekend (forgot how much of a 'singles album' that was) now this too

Tim+B.jpg

Still reading Family Britain but after seeing the Charlatans on the Tellin Stories tour at the weekend (forgot how much of a 'singles album' that was) now this too

Tim+B.jpg

Bit boring really. Lame drug stories and lists of worthy rock bands. :down:

Still on the break from Family Britain, so will have a go at this ... picked up in hardback from Fopp for ?3

pacific.jpg

Creepy Lurker

Now reading Emile Zola's La Cur?e. Finding it difficult to get into so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Gigolo-Aunt

The O'Neill book was okay. Could not be bothered reading about the Tic bit in the book but glad I did as Murdo McLeod does not come out of the book very well at all. O'Neill seemed like someone who never really bothered that much with tactics, played to a system and knew how to get players who could play in it as well as having a group who believed in him. Can remember Leicester doing really well under him but did not know there was a split in the boardroom with him not being very well liked by quite a few people. His Forrest days are interesting and there is no doubt that Clough could be cruel with him but its fair to say that he enjoyed his best period as a player under him. Before Clough came to Forrest, he was on the transfer list (at his own request) and going nowhere.

revoneillbiography.jpg

Excellent read this. Whenever I read books on this part of the war, cant help thinking poor old Poland. Always get the shit end of the stick.

wwii.jpg

Jimmy McNulty

Thanks to the poster who suggested Bomber Command. Just finished it (though cost $10 in late library fines).

And thanks for the ip on Operation Mincemeat. Also a very good read.

Am now on Game of Thrones.

BTW, a buddy of mine said his wife turned real dirty in bed after reading 50 shades of grey. Imagine how happy I was to access the kindle today to see my wife is 33% through it.... :)

Edited by Hank Moody

scott herbertson

I'm busy reading through the best post apocalypse survivalist novels

So far I'd rate Malevil by Robert Merle and Earth Abides by George Stewart as the most interesting (I've read about 20)

The Pacific was gash, really badly written and even more poorly edited. Huge amount of research but just a really bad book.

Now reading this ... takes a bit of getting into and not really sure it is worth the effort

6367453.jpg

The Pacific was gash, really badly written and even more poorly edited. Huge amount of research but just a really bad book.

Now reading this ... takes a bit of getting into and not really sure it is worth the effort

6367453.jpg

Occupied City perhaps the worst book I've ever read. Complete tosh. :down:

Am now enjoying this though ... only a few chapters in but great so far:

057439-FC222.jpg

Occupied City perhaps the worst book I've ever read. Complete tosh. :down:

Am now enjoying this though ... only a few chapters in but great so far:

057439-FC222.jpg

The Art of Fielding - best novel I've read in ages. First novel by Harbach and he writes like Tom Wolfe.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the last book in the millennium trilogy , the girl who kicked the hornets nest.

It started with the book the girl with the dragon tattoo , anyone else read it ?

I thought it was the best series of books I have ever read. Won't be deleting them from the kindle as I will no doubt read them again and again.

Creepy Lurker

Africans: the History of a Continent by John Iliffe. Not that far in yet, but quite good so far.

Read 4 books in a week whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago...

9781908373021.jpg51NOJTVxCjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg51AM7rXopZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg51pefCe-T3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Francis Wheen book was probably the pick of the bunch. Highly recommended.

Read 4 books in a week whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago...

9781908373021.jpg51NOJTVxCjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg51AM7rXopZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg51pefCe-T3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

The Francis Wheen book was probably the pick of the bunch. Highly recommended.

I'm clicking, but it won't let me look inside.

Must be rubbish :ninja:

::troll:::'>

Reading this:

51MXUob-SRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Finding it difficult to get into. Writing style seems to jar with me meaning I haven't related to any of the characters. Ideas are better, and it's early days.

• 2 weeks later...