The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Currently re-reading Mario Puzo's The Godfather...it's sometimes easy to forget that the book is even better than the films and that it has more back story in it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also just bought this and getting the urge to get straight into after reading the first chapter.

Set in Leningrad during the siege in WWII.

up_KbwTmo.jpg

Thoroughly recommended by me. Fantastic book on so many levels. Tale of two total opposites sent on a bizarre mission by an NKVD officer and their attempts to complete it and survive.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Read that for the first time in 30 years a few months back. Still thought it was a great book.

About to start Skag Boys by Irvine Welsh.

Sort of prequel to Trainspotting so hopefully pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently re-reading Mario Puzo's The Godfather...it's sometimes easy to forget that the book is even better than the films and that it has more back story in it.

I followed your lead and downloaded this onto my kindle. what a brilliant read, will start the Sicilian in a few days once i'm finished with Dirk Pitt

Stewart MacD

3826_Resize_Emperor.jpg

I didn't know about this volume. Must look for it. I'll have a re-read of one or two of the others which are around the house somewhere!

Stewart MacD

I haven't bought the new Tom Thorne novel but will order from The Book Depository if I can't find it here.

I'm waiting for the new Ian Rankin and Val McDermid books, which are both in the last stages of pre-publicationaccording to the authors' Twitter accounts.

Currently almost finished "Crime and Guilt" by Ferdinand von Schirach. (short stories). Recommended.

Creepy Lurker

At the moment I'm dividing my time between Victor Hugo's Bug Jargal, which I'm only reading because I have to for uni next semester but is actually very good, and Colin Bateman's Divorcing Jack, the first in his Dan Starkey series. I'm not really enjoying the latter; it's set in Belfast in the mid-nineties and is meant to be a satire of the peace process narrated by a cynical journalist who gets caught up in a terrorist plot, but its problem is that I just don't find the protagonist very likeable. If on the next page, he suddenly got shot and died and that was the end of the story I don't think I'd give a shit to be honest.

Been on holiday recently and read the following books

13359067.jpg

1280704.jpg$(KGrHqV,!okE9mbv!1piBP8yV+Co5Q~~_35.JPG9780007439249.jpg

All were pretty good.

Now reading this, 100 pages to go. It's alright but it's quite a book, part of a triology and looks like still an awful lot of unanswered questions at the end of the first book.

51m6UqCamcL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51P6Fnzl5zL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX385_SY500_CR,0,0,385,500_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Book Description

Publication Date: 4 Aug 2011

In the middle of the eighteenth century, British entrepreneurs unleashed the astounding energies of steam and coal and the world changed forever. Factories, railways and gunboats then propelled the West's rise to power, and computers and nuclear weapons in the twentieth century secured its global supremacy. Today, however, many worry that the emergence of China and India spell the end of the West as a superpower.How long will the power of the West last? In order to find out we need to know: why has the West been so dominant for the past two hundred years?With flair and authority, historian and achaeologist Ian Morris draws uniquely on 15,000 years of history to offer fresh insights on what the future will bring. Deeply researched and brilliantly argued, Why The West Rules - For Now is a gripping and truly original history of the world
Edited by hmfc_steve

Skag boys suoerb . Any fan of trainspotting must read it.

Just finished the lost world Arthur Conan Doyle.

Anyone know of any good books on rafa nadal?

Gigolo-Aunt

Started this at the tail end of last week. Only read about the first 100 pages or so but its an excellent read. Need to get back in to it though tonight - been getting in to a bad habit of watching box sets till stupid o clock with the reading suffering. The Borgias is the recent one.....

empire_cover.jpg

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King. Wasn't too sure that I was enjoying it as much as I usually do with King but I bashed on (not helped by the fact I was reading it mainly at work, and could only read a chapter or 2 at a time, with frequent interruptions).

The final few chapters made that book for me. Once I'd finished, I had a genuine feeling of elation and thrill - my heart was going like hell and the hairs on my arms were standing up. It tied up the story nicely, and was very well written.

The man is a legend :wub:

Immediately after spending 15 minutes contemplating what I'd just read, I started The Stand. Will keep you updated :thumbsup:

J.T.F.Robertson

Just finished Duma Key by Stephen King. Wasn't too sure that I was enjoying it as much as I usually do with King but I bashed on (not helped by the fact I was reading it mainly at work, and could only read a chapter or 2 at a time, with frequent interruptions).

The final few chapters made that book for me. Once I'd finished, I had a genuine feeling of elation and thrill - my heart was going like hell and the hairs on my arms were standing up. It tied up the story nicely, and was very well written.

The man is a legend :wub:

Immediately after spending 15 minutes contemplating what I'd just read, I started The Stand. Will keep you updated :thumbsup:

I enjoyed "Duma", also. "The Stand", for me, is the best thing he's ever done.

I'm currently 2/3rds the way through this. blackhouseUS.jpg

Excellent, it is!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The Emperor of Scent by Chandler Burr.

Absolutely fascinating insight into the science of smell and the egos of the scientific peer-reviewing community. Luca Turin (the Emperor) is an utter genius.

375773_300x300_1.jpg

ive had this sitting in my room for years so decided to start it today

read 1st chapter and its realy good so far

im a fan of all chris ryans books but god knows why i left this one sitting for so long waiting to be read

3fingersreid

Reading "the Ice Man" by Phillip Carlo about a mafia hit man (Richard Kuklinski) he was one ruthless evil bassa Good reading tho

Edited by 3fingersreid

Tommy Wiseau

Currently reading A Visit From The Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. It had been bought up by HBO and you can see why - definitely got an Entourage type feel to it, although it doesn't half hammer its points home. Don't think they're making the series anymore, but worth reading, I'd say.

The People's Chimp

Skag boys suoerb . Any fan of trainspotting must read it.

I've had the hardback sitting since the week it was released, not been that arsed to start but seems that's my loss.

Edited by The People's Chimp

I've had the hardback sitting since the week it was released, not been that arsed to start but seems that's my loss.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it really gives quite a good understanding into how young, unemployed, working class guys in the 80's were struggling in Thatcher's Britain and turning to skag for an escape. If you are a fan of Trainspotting you'll enjoy seeing how the characters developed into what they eventually became. Renton was a clever ***** who went to uni in Aberdeen (don't have to be clever to do that amirite) etc and it shows how easy it was back then for young guys to slip into oblivion.

Private Womble

J P Donleavey - The Ginger Man

Put it down for ages as I found it quite a hard read, now I can't put it down. :)

Finished recently Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, amazing story of survival during WW2. Finishing this morning David Baldacci latest The Hit.

I haven't bought the new Tom Thorne novel but will order from The Book Depository if I can't find it here.

I'm waiting for the new Ian Rankin and Val McDermid books, which are both in the last stages of pre-publicationaccording to the authors' Twitter accounts.

Currently almost finished "Crime and Guilt" by Ferdinand von Schirach. (short stories). Recommended.

Book Depository is great. I've bought around 20 books from them this year and just ordered two more.

Just finished re-reading No Mean City and starting Chic Murray's book, both via the BD.

A Town Like Alice for afters.

What is the book depository?

After trying out a kindle etc, I've come to the conclusion you just can't beat a proper book in your hand.

J P Donleavey - The Ginger Man

Put it down for ages as I found it quite a hard read, now I can't put it down. :)

Once you get into his writing style it gets easier. He is a seriously sick guy though. The Beastly Beatitudes Of Balthazar B is s good one of his.

Private Womble

Once you get into his writing style it gets easier. He is a seriously sick guy though. The Beastly Beatitudes Of Balthazar B is s good one of his.

:thumbsup: I'll put that on my list. 20 000 leagues under the sea, is next.

What is the book depository?

After trying out a kindle etc, I've come to the conclusion you just can't beat a proper book in your hand.

Website. Bought a few from there and always been pretty impressed.

I'm just about to start Ian Rankin's A Question Of Blood. I've read 14 of the Rebus books so far this year (including one of the short stories books) and am really enjoying them. Good characters, good stories and it's nice to have a reminder of home. Have also read Walter Isacsson's Steve Jobs, Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace and Argo so far this year - all good reads. The best book I read last year was Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's the only one of his books I've read so I may read some more of his work once I've finished the Rebus books.

The_Family_Corleone_cover.jpeg

Absolutely loved this. Can't help but read Vito as Marlon Brando and Sonny as James Caan. Really fleshes out the Luca Brasi character too. I suggest that the film be made by Tarantino.

Next up:

9780593066768.jpg

then

applebaum.jpg and Back-to-Blood-Book-Cover-Tom-Wolfe1.jpg

I'm just about to start Ian Rankin's A Question Of Blood. I've read 14 of the Rebus books so far this year (including one of the short stories books) and am really enjoying them. Good characters, good stories and it's nice to have a reminder of home. Have also read Walter Isacsson's Steve Jobs, Neil Young's Waging Heavy Peace and Argo so far this year - all good reads. The best book I read last year was Stephen King's 11/22/63. It's the only one of his books I've read so I may read some more of his work once I've finished the Rebus books.

What did you like about it? I'm 134 pages in and struggling to get into it.

Just finished "Utopia" by Thomas More

It's one of those classic books that is referred to far more than it's read but it's actually extremely readable, witty and concise. It was published in 1516 but because it was written in Latin modern readers can enjoy it translated into modern English as opposed to slogging through archaic Tudor English.

I've just started "The Black Swan" and it looks good so far although it might be heavy going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan_(Taleb_book)

Just finished "Utopia" by Thomas More

It's one of those classic books that is referred to far more than it's read but it's actually extremely readable, witty and concise. It was published in 1516 but because it was written in Latin modern readers can enjoy it translated into modern English as opposed to slogging through archaic Tudor English.

I've just started "The Black Swan" and it looks good so far although it might be heavy going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Swan_(Taleb_book)

I read Utopia as part of my advanced higher english dissertation. Compared the concept of utopia with the dystopias of Brave New World and 1984. A strange book, at the time i struggled with it. Its great how Utopia means "no place" and the travellers name means "no man" (i think). If you are interested in that utopia/dystopia stuff try News From Nowhere by William Morris. Set in 21st century Britain.

Was wondering, has anyone read Behind the Iron Curtain by Johnathon Wilson, considering it. Worth a read?

Getintaethem

The Forgotten Highlander is worth a read. The true story of a Brittish Soldier captured in Burma during WWII. After surviving the concentration camp at the bridge over the River Kwai, he was sent to a Japanese "hell ship", which was subsequently torpedoed, after spending a week adrift on a raft he was recaptured to be sent to a labour mine 10 miles from Nagasaki when they dropped the atom bomb. The book leaves you wondering if he was the luckiest or unluckiest poor b**tard ever to walk this earth!

What did you like about it? I'm 134 pages in and struggling to get into it.

My wife had read it and absolutely raved about it, so I ended up reading it too. I took a wee while to get into it too, but ended up loving it. He does a brilliant job of making you feel like you are actually there in the 60s. The level of detail is impressive. You really start to care about the characters and what happens to them. The story builds really well and becomes very tense towards the end. The links to It were a nice touch, too.