• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo....Just started,enjoyed the first Harry Hole book hope this one is just as good.

Purchased all of the Jo Nesbo books on Amazon about ?20.after good reccomendations here

Got the below for part of my papa's Christmas last year. Read about a 100 pages, its a pretty standard football book so far - hopefully it picks up when he goes to Italy. Not really a fan of football books unless they are a bit different.

(dads is not signed though)

law%20book.jpg

Edited by Gigalo-Aunt

Re-reading Macbeth just now. First read it in High School and really enjoyed it. Getting into it now and it's class. Got it for ?1 in HMV!

Next up is Fold by Tom Campbell. Read about it in the Metro and sounds quite interesting if it's presented well. Got good reviews anyway.

After that it's Citrus County by John Brandon, but I'm trying not to expect too much of.

Edited by neave

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Anna Karenina.

I've read this before years ago but I am concentrating on Levin this time. I'm also finding that Anna really is not that nice after all and the husband not that bad. Maybe I'm just getting older...

Vronsky - not made up my mind yet.

scott herbertson

md0752856138.jpg

Roseanna by Sjowall and Wahloo

I'm on the 6th in this 10 book series. I've read the whole series about 5 times since they were released in the late 60's early 70s. By far and away the best police/ crime series. Funny and political and moving.

I've written a couple of articles about the series for publications and am musing about doing a more series piece of work if I can get the energy together.

Edited by scott herbertson

I'm reading paradise lost, and satan is just about the enter paradise. before he does so the narrator describes the garden of eden and it's essentially a description of ladybits. ******* tremendous.

beyond the ladybits bits its fantastic, but what i've just read is one of my favourite pieces of literature ever. paradise = clunge, according to milton. he knows his beans does milton

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account by Dr. Josef Nyiszli.

It's not really the sort of book that you enjoy reading, but it's highly compelling. It's the account of a doctor who, as a prisoner in Auschwitz, was selected to perform autopsies for 'research' on prisoners and is very tough going in bits, such as his description of performing an autopsy on two year old twins. That, in his own words, he's a doctor and not a writer actually adds to the impact: the occasional stylistic awkwardness makes it seem more 'real' somehow than it would seem if the prose was more polished. The author's own ambiguous moral position, as someone who voluntarily performed his role, also forces the reader to look at what they'd have done in his position. I'd definitely recommend this.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just got a kindle a few days ago and it's superb.

Anyone know how I can get more modern titles as suggested on this thread for free? :whistling:

Currently reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Given Day, by Dennis Lehane. Not a typical Lehane novel but superb so far, as good as Mystic River I would venture.

I thought that mystic river was easily the worst of the books that lehane has written. I hope the given day is better than that.

I'm currently reading the aide by ward Carroll. It's pretty enjoyable, about 6.5/10.

Carl Fredrickson

Been off work for a few weeks so have read a few books.

Finished the Denis Mina "PADDY MEEHAN triology":

TLBreath.jpg

dead-hour-denise-mina-paperback-cover-art.jpg

These follow on form The Field of Blood (which was recently re-run on BBC1) and both are decent enough reads. Paddy Meehan is a Weegie journalist who has personal interests in some of the murders that are happening in Raintown.

Edited by bagger

The Natural Order

Anyone know how I can get more modern titles as suggested on this thread for free? :whistling:

You've got a PM mate. :thumbsup:

Have a good hunt through the Amazon Kindle section - I've just downloaded 17 books onto mine for my hols. Of those, more than half were free, and they're all modern titles, mostly crime, mystery etc - the rest were all less than ?1.

I'm almost finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo - third one I've read so far and they've all been good. Before that, read Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason, which wasn't bad either.

Carl Fredrickson

John Grishams latest effort is the second in his Theodore Boone series, in which a young teenage boy who has aspirations to become a lawyer and then a judge investigates the kidnapping of his best friend. An easy but enjoyable read that is an afternoon or evening well spent.

johngrisham.jpg

Mark Billingham is one of my favourite crime authors and his latest Inspector Thorne offering is the usual fast paced full of twist and turns. Two of his earlier books were adopted for Sky1 and they did not a bad job of it.

markbillingham.jpg

Carl Fredrickson

Sorry for so many posts....

Peter Robinson is another of my favourite crime writers. His normal character, Inspector Banks has been left aside for his latest book is a standalone offering. Still set in Yorkshire, it tells the tale of an ex-pat returning home to Yorkshire who buys a house with a bit of history to it. As he delves into its past, he discovers that a former owner who was hung for murder, may have not been as guilty.....

BeforeThePoisonUK2.jpg

And finally, I am reading the latest Linwood Barclay book. Having first read one of his books about 18 months ago, I find each of them a page turner. The latest book has 4 deaths in the first couple of chapters - and his style of writing draws you in to the story quickly.

TheAccidentCover1.jpg

Carl Fredrickson

'the complaints' by Ian rankin. A bit slow paced, but not bad really. Oh, and the hero is from Oxgangs. :verysmug:

I read that when it first came out. I ALWAYS have high expectations of Rankins books and he rarely fails to deliver. A good read. :thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Have a good hunt through the Amazon Kindle section - I've just downloaded 17 books onto mine for my hols. Of those, more than half were free, and they're all modern titles, mostly crime, mystery etc - the rest were all less than ?1.

I'm almost finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo - third one I've read so far and they've all been good. Before that, read Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason, which wasn't bad either.

Yeah had a wee look through. Downloaded one called 'The Facebook Killer' read half of it this afternoon and I usually take forever to get through books!

Do others feel you get through the books faster? Is there any way of knowing what page you are on rather than what % you have read?

Loving it so far.

Reading this at the moment

Cover+-+A+Clash+of+Kings.jpg

This next, all because of the excellent videos on the God in a nutshell thread

GodIsNotGreat.jpg

Just incase anyone is interested, here is a free ebook program which i think is brilliant, i only downloaded it about a month ago and have downloaded 210 books onto it so far, all for free (i'm a tight barsteward) :thumbsup:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Say What Again

Just making my way through this at the moment - Only half way but its been really interesting so far

41WJ50HSF4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

He dies at the end, mate.

Snake Plissken

Reading this at the moment

Cover+-+A+Clash+of+Kings.jpg

Just finished it and I'm on the next book.

A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow.

A must read.Shocking what went on in the Far East during the war.I now understand why the Japanese are still hated by veterans to this day.

9781408702116.jpg

Harrowing stuff - as you say, you can understand the feeling from veterans.

child_of_god-large.jpg

A book I picked up at the festival in Charlotte square that I found most interesting

Treasure Islands by Christopher Shaxson

This is the ugliest chapter in global economic affairs since slavery -- and secretive offshore tax havens are at the heart of the trouble. Dirty money, tax havens and the offshore system describe the ugliest and most secretive chapter in the history of global economic affairs. The World Bank has reported that the flow of dirty money across borders, out of developing countries and into rich ones, is up to ten times the amount of foreign aid that flows the other way. Most people regard tax havens as being relevant only to celebrities, crooks and spivs, and mistakenly believe that the main offshore problems are money laundering and terrorist financing. These are only small parts of the whole picture. The offshore system has been (discreetly) responsible for the greatest ever shift of wealth from poor to rich. It also undermines our democracies by offering the wealthiest members of society escape routes from tax, financial regulation and other normal democratic controls. The anti-globalisation movement tapped into an uneasiness, felt by millions, that something was rotten in the world economy. Treasure Islands brilliantly articulates the problem in a completely new way, and exposes the deep corruption that impacts on our daily lives