• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scots civil war

was in Waterstones earlier and they have some stuff which looks great to get

biographies on Dave Grohl,Kate Bush,General Haig

quite fancy em and also 50 years of Private Eye n all ...thats half price,tenner iirc

reading of the great war is a real passion of mine and Il nominate what Ive just finished recently

Flowers of the Forest by Trevor Royle,Birrlinn books....an account of Scotland`s input in those times,at home and the theatre of war

Sagittarius Rising by Cecil Lewis,Warner books.....autobiography of a sixteen year old who joins the Royal Flying Corps and blossoms into fully fledged and respected pilot of the Royal Air Force by Armistice 1918....descriptions of fying in em propellered biplanes high up over the clouds truly amazing stuff....

Currently reading the story of Robert Enke

41cpozicilbo2204203200p.jpg

Too Short A Life - Ronald Reng

It's an impressive book;serious, honest, moving, almost heart-breaking at times. Very much worth reading.

Victor Mancini

%7BCC6BE317-119F-4BF6-BAD8-036F8ED59443%7DImg100.jpg

Got this book from my mum and stepdad for xmas its defo worth a read!

Laughed out loud at points- the stories about sh1tt1ng in his team mates pillowcase, trashing david seamans hotel room,living with gazza, :ninja: his betting habit sounds tragic though...

Finished it the other night and started Mark Wards autobiography(ex west ham,man city,everton, etc) not sure what I make of it so far

Not really my usual sort of thing, but picked this up due to it being based on the John Franklin expedition which sought the NorthWest Passage. Fascinating period of history but this fictional account not so good.

simmons-the_terror.jpg

Next up is

41drqMAGW9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3546_clockers.jpg

The above was one very good book with a fast pace about it. Its about a kid who is in charge of a corner - who he answers to as well as the cops resignation that the "busts" they are doing are utterly pointless. The main story skirts with the above and comes to a real cliff hanger of an ending.

Only read the first 20 pages or so of the below but already it is very very funny.

walter-yetnikoff.jpg

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt

Started reading this the other night and have been up to god knows what time reading the following. Its about an 18 year old who goes through the exams to become an RAF pilot. A couple of months or so in to his training, the second world war starts. Such a great read - really touching and at times rather funny,. Very well written, non fiction, its all the pilots words.

FirstLight%2BGeoffrey%2BWellum%2Bcover.jpg

cocktail-time-wodehouse-p-g-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

I've been delighted to find the complete wodehouse canon is available in some beautiful retro deco books. I'll happily re-read all the blandings, psmith and jeeves i've already gone through but it's an added bonus to be able to read another 50 odd wodehouse books. bliss.

cocktail-time-wodehouse-p-g-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

I've been delighted to find the complete wodehouse canon is available in some beautiful retro deco books. I'll happily re-read all the blandings, psmith and jeeves i've already gone through but it's an added bonus to be able to read another 50 odd wodehouse books. bliss.

That's a cracking find.

thumbsup.gif

Creepy Lurker

I'm splitting my time between The Vikings by Else Roesdahl and Understand the Cold War: Teach Yourself by Carole Bryan Jones (the latter of which I have to read for work).

They're alright.

51UrL2rE7jL.jpg

Just about finished this. Have to go back to the bloody awful Simon Schama book Citizens when I'm done with it. Nice wee break though.

Edited by Jamhammer

That's a cracking find.

thumbsup.gif

Mrs fish is going spare. I already have all the jeeves' and a several others in the wodehouse anthology and loads of the books on their own in various editions. plus I've got every wodehouse book and short story on my kindle.

but they look beautiful in my bookcase and the paper is lovely and creamy. I've promised to hold off buying them for a bit, but I've told my brothers to get me a couple for each birthday and xmas so I should be able to get the full 97 or so within a few years if I can buy myself the odd one every other month too.

highly recommended as they really are lovely things.

edit. forgot to mention, they're from Everyman. you can get good 2nd hand copies on amazon for ?6 or so including p&p on amazon.

Edited by 2NaFish

Reading this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cTMa-D1vCZ4/TbtDr6s8OfI/AAAAAAAAAKM/S-UmjVSS-K0/s1600/Swan_Song-119190700363613.jpg

I am only three quarters of the way through it yet it has got itself in among my all time favourite novels, in among titles such as Stephen King The Shining, Dean Koontz Watchers and James Herbert The Fog.

If you like a good post apocalyptic strory, similar to Stephen Kings The Stand then you should like this. I love The Stand but IMO this is much better. This is also the first book i have read by Robert R. McCammon and it definitely makes me want to check out some of his other works, hope they are just as good.

I'm currently engrossed in A hunt for red October. Only just started reading Tom Clancy stuff , amazing.

Also , just finished dangerous lady by Martian cole , another excellent read

Still reading about the Gulag, but am also now reading this:

51y8%2BjrQdHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Currently reading this myself and nearly finished. An easy read, some good anecdotes but with a fairly horrific description of his struggle to get off smack.

The People's Chimp

CampionissimoL.jpg

The translated version!!

It's written like a love letter to an iconic champion. A real fans view but not sycophantic.

Nice.

Magic Numbers

Currently on Clive Cussler's "Lost Empire".

So far following Clive's tried & tested plot line.

Such & such an established character just happens to stumble upon a sunken artifact.

This artifact is a world-changing item that shady types have been searching for.

The bad guys show up, shots are fired. Yet another boat is sunk etc etc etc you know the script.

It's like leave your brain at the front cover, but still a good, fun read.

Not sure if there were more horrors in the Gulag Archipelago or in Shaun Ryder's book.

Next up

thebusiness.jpg

Read a few of Iain Banks' books in the past and enjoyed them. This one was rubbish - an effort to write a modern fairy story. Rubbish.

Next up:

9780712664882.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

New Stuart Macbride ,Birthdays for the Dead.

I read this last week. Somewhat disappointed. I hardly ever buy books in hardback but was going on holiday and fancied something extravagant on my Kindle so forked out over 8 quid for it. Its his worst book so far imo. Too many unnecessary and clumsy sub-plots, some really unbelievable characters and the violence is so OTT I was ignoring it to end up with. I have the feeling he was pushed to get this published by whoever he has a "5-book deal" with, I cant credit that a concientious editor would have let a book out so clunky.

Quite let down by this as I thought his other non-Macrae novel, Headhunters, was very good, and given that a sizeable chunk of Birthdays is set where I live I was really looking forward to it.

Has anyone tried a Tom rob smith book yet?

So far he has done a trilogy.

The first being chld44 , then "the secret speach" and finally " agent 6"

Not read the last one yet , but the first 2 were amazing reads , highly recommend.

Sorry for the Terrace style post but I'm currently about halfway through this

inverting-the-pyramid.jpg

I've just got to the 1967 European Cup Final but this time it's all about how Inter screwed it up royally as opposed to how Celtic won it.

Which is a refreshing perspective

Sergei Malatov

I have just finished reading "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" by John Le Carre. The book was excellent and I will definitely read more of his novels.

I have just bought a Kindle and have decided to read some of the books which are available for free, so have started "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas.

willie wallace

Halfway through The Affair by Lee Child.I cannot do without my annual dose of Jack Reacher traipsing around the States knocking ten bells out of anyone who gets in his way.My hero :thumbsup:

I also just received Boys Will Be Boys,the glory days and party nights of the 1990s Dallas Cowboys.Apparently they liked a wee night out in between winning Superbowls.Looking forward to it.

Quick read of this one

a-tale-etched-in-blood-and-hard-black-pencil-christopher-brookmyre.jpg

Think probably the weakest of the books of his I've read. All weekend supplement and Facebook 'remember at school we used to ...' and no real story. :down:

Now reading this

SOMME.jpg

Say What Again

Quick read of this one

a-tale-etched-in-blood-and-hard-black-pencil-christopher-brookmyre.jpg

Think probably the weakest of the books of his I've read. All weekend supplement and Facebook 'remember at school we used to ...' and no real story. :down:

I'm a big fan of CB and was also disappointed with this, as well as his other 2 around that time (Rubber Ducks, Snowball in Hell). I thought he pulled it back with Pandaemonium though. I actually read the last 3/4s of the book in a 6 hour sitting one night when I couldn't sleep.

Kept thinking, one more chapter, one more. Then it was too near the end just to leave it. Think I put it down about 6am :lol:

Trying out my first bit of Haruki Murakami just now. Figured his short stories would give me an idea if it's my sort of thing or not, so have just started Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.

Creepy Lurker

I'm a big fan of CB and was also disappointed with this, as well as his other 2 around that time (Rubber Ducks, Snowball in Hell). I thought he pulled it back with Pandaemonium though. I actually read the last 3/4s of the book in a 6 hour sitting one night when I couldn't sleep.

Kept thinking, one more chapter, one more. Then it was too near the end just to leave it. Think I put it down about 6am :lol:

Interesting.

I felt the opposite way: liked the three that you mention, thought that Pandaemonium was poor. The characters just didn't feel 'real' to me; a touch of the middle aged man trying and failing to be down with the kids, I thought. Also thought that the way that he kept killing off basically likeable characters in such painful ways was a bit weird.

Enjoyed Matterhorn. Caught a bit of Vietnam: Lost Films on the Military History channel last night. Incredible footage and brought the likes of Matterhorn to life.

Half way through this:

grotesque%2Bnatsuo%2Bkirino.jpg

Still going through a box of old buys ... think next up will be this

9780713994995.jpg

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

101531651.jpg

What was that like, Gig?

Currently reading a free book off Amazon called 'Street Life: My Story' about a New Yorker and his life after he comes out of jail.

A bit meh tbh but readable.

Enjoyed Matterhorn. Caught a bit of Vietnam: Lost Films on the Military History channel last night. Incredible footage and brought the likes of Matterhorn to life.

Half way through this:

grotesque%2Bnatsuo%2Bkirino.jpg

Still going through a box of old buys ... think next up will be this

9780713994995.jpg

Watched that last night as well, Coco. Incredible footage. Have read a few bits and bobs on Vietnam and its a really interesting subject. With starting a new book and having a Vietnam book in the pile, guess that's why I have moved on to reading what I have.

What was that like, Gig?

Currently reading a free book off Amazon called 'Street Life: My Story' about a New Yorker and his life after he comes out of jail.

A bit meh tbh but readable.

Was an interesting read, Alan, if not a bit of a headfeck at times. Boy who done it is Ex CIA and has a grasp of what was going on previous to 9/11 and the aftermath of it. My knowledge of the middle east politics is not great so it was a real eye opener just how much conflict there is between neighbouring countries in that area. Loads of information thrown at you which due to lapse in what goes on in that part of the world had me re reading pages that I had read.

I can read, honest.

biggrin.gif

Edited by Gigolo-Aunt