The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Brilliant book revealing some of the human tentacles of the fairly menacing Chinese move to secure living room across the world.

16099166.jpg

Next up

41jWdXkLySL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Second World War by Winston Churchill.

Needless to say there's enough bombscares to make MI5 nervous or is it 6 always confuses me... :whistling:

Think I'll order that D-Day book though, enjoyed the Stalingrad/Berlin books.

Just finished this (below). Was enjoyable yet a bit tragic.

Friday_Nights_Lights.jpg

Have now just started this (below). Only about a 100 pages in. Starts a wee bit slow but is starting to get going.

9780340839942.jpg

Kahneman has been put aside for now.

Just finished this amazing book about a shipwrecked whaleship.

tumblr_lmj19rnWJQ1qavij2o1_400.jpg

And am halfway through this (Sugar Ray has just lost to Hands of Stone)

51VTuTmi0GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

maroonlegions

How NOT to be a Rock Star - Gareth Icke

How_not.jpg

Product Information

How NOT to be a Rock Star tells the extraordinary few years of Gareth Icke's life on the road with his band Kody.

From witnessing murders and being accused of terrorism, to amputation and break ins; this band saw it all, drank it all, and lived to tell the tale.

This insight into the hearts, minds and memories of a young band doing what they do is both eye wateringly funny and ultimately worrying.

Sometimes, stories have to be heard to be believed and trust me, this book is full of them.

I should know, I was there at the time and I still can't believe some of the stuff we saw!

Sit back, grab yourself a drink, and welcome to our World.

Tim Pritchard - Kody Guitarist; :mojo:

I've just started Danny Baker's autobiography. Pretty good so far. I used to think he was an utter tosser and then I saw a few of his posts on Twitter and changed my opinion.

Also just started Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. One of those books I've always meant to read but somehow never have.

just finishing Young Guvners about the Man City casuals then about to start Tract Thorn (on the bird from Everything But the Girl) autobiog

I finally caved in to pressure from a mate an started reading game of thrones.

Can't put the kindle down now, possibly best book I've read for a while

• 2 weeks later...

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Swedish book about an old man who goes missing on his 100th birthday and goes on an adventure. Sounds odd but it is great so far, with chapters about his bizarre life all the way through the 20th century and chapters about his current adventure.

Edited by Tazio

Don't know how to post pics in a reply, but I've just finished reading a few of Robin Hobbs Trilogies. "The Farseer Trilogy" and "The Tawny Man" Trilogy.

Now working my way through the Alex Cross series by James Patterson.

Adi Dassler

9780007466030.jpg

Surprisingly very dull so far. Love the Oo too but it's like it was written by me Dad.

Been sitting on this since Xmas as I have heard 2 or 3 people saying it's gash.

Shame, as I'm a big Townshend fan.

Just finished reading Stars are Stars by Kevin Samson for the umpteenth time. My favourite book in the world. Ever.

Anyone read Last Exit to Brooklyn? Any good?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Last Exit to Brooklyn is good but it takes a bit of getting used to the writing style.

Still on the Mandela book. Great read, would recommend. What a guy.

Hugh Phamism

Just finished a Stuart McBride nonsense, and have started this:

514zfbJlJRL.jpg

I like to jump between fiction and non-fiction, UK & US. Been reading too much US fiction of late, so looking forward to this footy tale from the Brian Clough days.

• 2 weeks later...
Harry Palmer

The Next Moon by Andre Hue*

About the parachuting into France of an SOE agent to co-ordinate the resistance. He just so happened to be Welsh and his auld man was French....either way it was a great book.

*Will check the name....

• 2 weeks later...
Hugh Phamism

Just finished a Stuart McBride nonsense, and have started this:

514zfbJlJRL.jpg

I like to jump between fiction and non-fiction, UK & US. Been reading too much US fiction of late, so looking forward to this footy tale from the Brian Clough days.

Just finished this. Good read.

John McGovern was a class player who reached the very top of the game, but is very much a forgotten man. Plenty of good mentions of Dave Mackay from his Derby County days, and even a wee mention of Super Wayne Foster at Bolton in the early eighties.

This one is next.....

515-quJQv2L._SY100_.jpg

I've been reading a bunch of books by Peter May lately. He directed Machair, the Gaelic soap back in the 90's so I was a bit surprised that he turns out to be a decent author. The Lewis Trilogy are excellent, very much recommend them for folk who like Scottish crime. The China series very good at making you feel what China is like (Well, how May perceives it at least) but the China stories are starting to get a bit repetitive in terms of plot and devices used (I'm on number 6), he also telegraphs the solution a bit too often for my liking, much prefer writers who dont give too much away. Good reads though

Gigolo-Aunt

Finished recently

The Black Flash - The story of Albert Johannson. Black player who played for Leeds in the 60's. Went through loads of racial shit and ended up having a drink problem, living life as a recluse and dying in the 90's.

Song Man - Will Hodgkinson. Music journalist goes round loads of artists finding out how to write a song. The plan is for him to release 300 7 inch vinyl. Lawrence from Felt steals the show.

Roy Keane's book. Thought it was a great read. Have a load of time for him.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Swedish book about an old man who goes missing on his 100th birthday and goes on an adventure. Sounds odd but it is great so far, with chapters about his bizarre life all the way through the 20th century and chapters about his current adventure.

Brilliant read.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

I just finished that; fantastic book. It's the best I've read since 11:22:63, Stephen King.

Gigolo-Aunt

Was out at the folks on Friday and my old man gave me the following to read. He has read a few and likes Ben Elton as a writer. A book he gave me before by him was quite enjoyable so going to make a start on it at bed time tonight.

9780552771849.jpg

Just finished Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. Not bad and no odd appearances by aliens like some of his others.

I've just started Flashman And The Seawolf. Though it is purely out of a sense of interest as I love the Flashman books and thought they were over when George McDonald Fraser died. They new ones are written by Robert Brightwell and are about a relative of Flashman and set around the turn of the 19th century and onwards.

Gigolo-Aunt

Just finished Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. Not bad and no odd appearances by aliens like some of his others.

I've just started Flashman And The Seawolf. Though it is purely out of a sense of interest as I love the Flashman books and thought they were over when George McDonald Fraser died. They new ones are written by Robert Brightwell and are about a relative of Flashman and set around the turn of the 19th century and onwards.

Let us know how you get on with that. Love the Flashman books - not read any of the new ones as yet though.

Wasn't aware there was a new form of Flashy. Keep this thread informed!

Enjoying this so far

51VZpE1Rt-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Adi Dassler

The Killing Pool by Kevin Sampson.

Outstanding.

Best contemporary British writer by a country mile.

Wasn't aware there was a new form of Flashy. Keep this thread informed!

Enjoying this so far

51VZpE1Rt-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Excellent book. Fitzgerald is a great author. His descriptions of places, be it rooms or cities, is great. Sets the mood and scene just right. I recommend you get Tender is the Night, set later than that book (mid 20s) and its perhaps better. All as good as Gatsby.

Got his unfinished book The Last Tycoon. Seeing this has made my mind up on what to read.

Recently finished this book, which is the first of her books set in Shetland. Pretty good and very easy to read.

raven+black.jpg

Have started reading this, which is a bit of a departure from the Crime/Mystery books that I usually read, but it's really enjoyable and definitely worth reading.

The+Map+of+Time.jpg

MacDonald Jardine

Been sitting on this since Xmas as I have heard 2 or 3 people saying it's gash.

Shame, as I'm a big Townshend fan.

Just finished reading Stars are Stars by Kevin Samson for the umpteenth time. My favourite book in the world. Ever.

Anyone read Last Exit to Brooklyn? Any good?

You probably won't be when you've finished it.

He comes across as an arrogant self justifying arsehole.

Auld Reekin'

Slogging through The Idiot by Dostoyevsky at the moment. Hard work.

19th Century Russian novels where every character is known by 4 or 5 different names... :facepalm: (All those feckin patronyms, dimunutives, and whatever else, along with their actual first names.... :muggy: ).

"A Hero of our Time", by Lermontov, is superb though, and is much easier to read than anything by Dostoyevsky.

Reading this at the moment:

9780340728086.jpg

Only started it yesterday, but really enjoying it so far - the other books I've read by the same guy have been good too. A mate of mine used to share a flat with him in Moscow when he was studying or doing research there: according to my mate, Makine was reporting his movements, contacts, and conversations back to the KGB! :peepwall::sneaky::lol: (Allegedly... :ermm: )

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Excellent book. Fitzgerald is a great author. His descriptions of places, be it rooms or cities, is great. Sets the mood and scene just right. I recommend you get Tender is the Night, set later than that book (mid 20s) and its perhaps better. All as good as Gatsby.

Got his unfinished book The Last Tycoon. Seeing this has made my mind up on what to read.

Have read Tender is the Night ... love his language. Short stories are great too (Diamond as big as the Ritz my favourite).

A Confedaracy of Dunces ,John Kennedy Toole .Very funny.

Great book and apparently the film was in the pipeline for John Candy. Sadly he died before they started on it.

Flashman update.....

Finished this one. Not bad but it didn't have the feeling that you were learning huge amounts about history as you read it in the way the originals do. I've just started the second one as I got them both for a fiver from Amazon for the Kindle. Worth a look out of curiosity if you enjoy the George McDonald Fraser ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Harry Palmer

The Next Moon by Andre Hue.

His mum was Welsh, his dad was French therefore just the sort that the SOE needed to organise the resistance (or Maquis) in France from D-Day onwards.

Enjoyable read.

107054.jpg

What do you think of this book, Gigolo? I read it a while ago and was impressed.

I've been reading:

41uhtXeYShL._SL500_.jpg

I think if you've done Higher physics, you'll already be familiar with some of this, but his explanations make it seem easy.

Gigolo-Aunt

What do you think of this book, Gigolo? I read it a while ago and was impressed.

I've been reading:

41uhtXeYShL._SL500_.jpg

I think if you've done Higher physics, you'll already be familiar with some of this, but his explanations make it seem easy.

Really enjoying it so far. Like reading about football in Nations a bit off the beaten track - as well as people within the game you may not have heard of that much. The stories about Dynamo Kiev are bizarre to say the least!

Currently re-reading London Fields by Martin Amis, one of my my favourite books ever. .

Also just bought this and getting the urge to get straight into after reading the first chapter.

Set in Leningrad during the siege in WWII.

up_KbwTmo.jpg

The People's Chimp

London Fields is superb. I dug it out for the bursd to read a while back and it's currently sitting in her 'to read' pile. Back around 1995ish I used to listen to Mark Radcliffe's superb radio one show from 10 or 11pm and he would have poetry readings, chat about books and readings from novels in amongst all the quality tunes. One of them was london fields. Great times.

I also have a vague recollection of Thurston Moore or Kim Gordon doing some readings.