Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Yeah can feel the weight falling off myself. Calorie counting really is the way forward with fat burning Imo and tbh after the first week of adjusting I don't even feel hungry now.

Yeah can feel the weight falling off myself. Calorie counting really is the way forward with fat burning Imo and tbh after the first week of adjusting I don't even feel hungry now.

I find that, once you get over the initial shock it gets easier. I can just never see it through to the end with a cut though lol. Think it's the psychological effect of losing size and strength

Walk around the first corner at ocean terminal and there are 20+ benches

It has one and it's always taken. One free weights rack for an entire gym, I don't understand that.

It has one and it's always taken. One free weights rack for an entire gym, I don't understand that.

Often get this scenario too. Plenty benches for training with dumbells but only one proper bench and rack for doing barbell bench press. Had to wait around for it a few times

Lost 7 pounds so far nor suffered any major changes in strength. However, finding it impossible to gain any. Cardio is improving again however.

Lost 7 pounds so far nor suffered any major changes in strength. However, finding it impossible to gain any. Cardio is improving again however.

That's good if your strength is around same level as 7lbs is a good amount to have shifted :)

First time I've been on this thread in ages seems to be alot of people know what they are doing in the gym.

I've lost 2 stone since 16th Jan by using my fitness pal for calories as well as running and im now back to 12st 10(6ft) but my plan is to drop another half stone .

The thing is I am useless at the toning and strength bit I just know how to lose the weight so I have no idea what to do next, im not interesting in bulking up huge mass or anything im 40 ffs just looking to tighten everything up and maybe reduce body fat some more so what is the best way to go about it.

Edited by Jamboelite

First time I've been on this thread in ages seems to be alot of people know what they are doing in the gym.

I've lost 2 stone since 16th Jan by using my fitness pal for calories as well as running and im now back to 12st 10(6ft) but my plan is to drop another half stone .

The thing is I am useless at the toning and strength bit I just know how to lose the weight so I have no idea what to do next, im not interesting in bulking up huge mass or anything im 40 ffs just looking to tighten everything up and maybe reduce body fat some more so what is the best way to go about it.

Keep doing what your doing regarding calories to reduce body fat and Incorporate a full body workout programme.

One thing I have learnt over the past few months. There is no such thing as "toning up" You either have to eat more than your calorific maintenance to build muscle and get you Macros right or eat below you maintainance to reduce body fat. It is a balancing act, and you need to do both until You are satisfied with the way you look. Obviously incorporating some sort of strength training programme.

There is more to it than the above but I think that is the basic principle.

Visit Bodybuilding.com everything you need to know is on that site as well as shit hot workout programmes

Edited by AlimOzturk

Keep doing what your doing regarding calories to reduce body fat and Incorporate a full body workout programme.

One thing I have learnt over the past few months. There is no such thing as "toning up" You either have to eat more than your calorific maintenance to build muscle and get you Macros right or eat below you maintainance to reduce body fat. It is a balancing act, and you need to do both until You are satisfied with the way you look. Obviously incorporating some sort of strength training programme.

Visit Bodybuilding.com everything you need to know is on that site as well as shit hot workout programmes

Thanks appreciate the response.

The full body programme is definitely something im missing out.

Edited by Jamboelite

There definitely is a thing called "toning up" its called Hypertrophe. The way you train is all to do with rep range. So 1-3 repetitions (so maximal effort) will train Power. This is a fast and explosive movement predominantly used by powerlifters of course. 4-8 will train Strength so if you are trying to get stronger this is the rep range you should be fatigueing at. So if you can only do 6 reps with say 70kg on bench press, you are working on strength. 8-12 reps is your hypertrophe range. This is why most people constantly do 10 reps as their range because it has been proven to be the best for visual results. Anything higher than 12 reps is training muscular endurance. Hope this helps. My reference for anyone interested is I am an All Arms Physical Training Instructor (PTI) in the Army.

There definitely is a thing called "toning up" its called Hypertrophe. The way you train is all to do with rep range. So 1-3 repetitions (so maximal effort) will train Power. This is a fast and explosive movement predominantly used by powerlifters of course. 4-8 will train Strength so if you are trying to get stronger this is the rep range you should be fatigueing at. So if you can only do 6 reps with say 70kg on bench press, you are working on strength. 8-12 reps is your hypertrophe range. This is why most people constantly do 10 reps as their range because it has been proven to be the best for visual results. Anything higher than 12 reps is training muscular endurance. Hope this helps. My reference for anyone interested is I am an All Arms Physical Training Instructor (PTI) in the Army.

Twice round my beautiful body, go... ;-)

Higher rep ranges are optimal for hypertrophy but hypertrophy still occurs with lower rep ranges and heavy loads. A muscle can't be 'toned' as such but as you say it can grow or the level of bodyfat covering it can reduce giving the illusion of 'toning up'.

I am a powerlifter/strongman and train predominantly in the lower rep ranges but I'd say I am doing OK on the hypertrophy front https://www.instagram.com/p/BS6gFj8FdOZ/

Hit a 632.5kg total at 90kg today at the GPC Scottish open, came 2nd in my category and qualified for the British finals :)

Edited by RS86

Been in bits since comp so resting up but decided to go for a quick jog yesterday as was getting fed up with no training.

Only did 10 mins and was out of puff and cramping like mad afterwards :lol:

Hit a 632.5kg total at 90kg today at the GPC Scottish open, came 2nd in my category and qualified for the British finals :)

Impressive numbers on your lifts. 

Impressive numbers on your lifts.

Thanks :). Everything clicked on the day so was happy with those lifts.

A lot of hard work ahead to get up to speed with the top guys i'll be against at the Brits but coming 2nd in my first powerlifting comp I can't complain.

I am about to start working on my fitness again.

Being a farmer my actual strength can fall into the scary category for someone who doesn't do any actual training but I need to get myself into running shape again.

Slight change of diet in order as well.

I am about to start working on my fitness again.

Being a farmer my actual strength can fall into the scary category for someone who doesn't do any actual training but I need to get myself into running shape again.

Slight change of diet in order as well.

I can imagine you being strong as a farmer, loads of unusual stresses and loads on the body that can't easily be mimicked in a gym.

Bit of light jogging and then build it up should see you get a bit fitter.

How is your diet, any structure to it or just eat when you're hungry?

I can imagine you being strong as a farmer, loads of unusual stresses and loads on the body that can't easily be mimicked in a gym.

Bit of light jogging and then build it up should see you get a bit fitter.

How is your diet, any structure to it or just eat when you're hungry?

My diet is actually quite good. I finish a morning round of the animals before breakfast. Normally porridge or toast. I don't use salt on any meals. I don't eat much crap and my red meat consumption is low. I don't fry anything but use a George Foreman for anything that would be fried or grilled.

Usually able to stick to 3 meals a day and I eat plenty Apples etc and don't drink fizzy juice although I like a coffee, skimmed milk, no sugar.

My current weight is just over 14st.

AlimOzturk

Three more weeks to go with the cut. Haven't weighed myself recently but despite a few bevvy sessions I can see a big difference

I used to post in this thread a fair bit. 

After the birth of my daughter in June 2015 it's safe to say my weight ballooned a bit. Mix of giving up football and just getting my diet all wrong. I still lifted after she was born but never really did any CV. 

Heaviest recorded weight I have of myself is 17st (107.9kg) in November 2015, 38 inch waist in suit trousers, pretty much had to buy a new wardrobe. May 2016 I got asked to play in a friendly football game, probably the fattest and unfittest I have ever felt, could barely fit into the strip. 

August 2016 I signed up to play football again for the season, try get myself fit. Started slowly losing weight but in October 2016 went through a bad break up with the baby mamma, definitely comfort ate and drank for a bit. 

Anyway January 2017 I bought into the dry January and also did February, really started to watch what I was eating, increase the cardio, started playing 5s as well as continuing the 11s. 

Last I weighed myself was a couple weeks back where I came in at 14st (88.9kg). I am currently in my third week of a Ross Dickerson cutting plan, really trying hard to get the body fat down for summer. Still a bit to go until I will be happy with where I am at but certainly a lot happier and healthier. 

Will try post a picture from my phone. 

I used to post in this thread a fair bit.

After the birth of my daughter in June 2015 it's safe to say my weight ballooned a bit. Mix of giving up football and just getting my diet all wrong. I still lifted after she was born but never really did any CV.

Heaviest recorded weight I have of myself is 17st (107.9kg) in November 2015, 38 inch waist in suit trousers, pretty much had to buy a new wardrobe. May 2016 I got asked to play in a friendly football game, probably the fattest and unfittest I have ever felt, could barely fit into the strip.

August 2016 I signed up to play football again for the season, try get myself fit. Started slowly losing weight but in October 2016 went through a bad break up with the baby mamma, definitely comfort ate and drank for a bit.

Anyway January 2017 I bought into the dry January and also did February, really started to watch what I was eating, increase the cardio, started playing 5s as well as continuing the 11s.

Last I weighed myself was a couple weeks back where I came in at 14st (88.9kg). I am currently in my third week of a Ross Dickerson cutting plan, really trying hard to get the body fat down for summer. Still a bit to go until I will be happy with where I am at but certainly a lot happier and healthier.

Will try post a picture from my phone.

May 2016, 2 weeks ago and this morning. Excuse the grainy zoomed in taps aff photo. 165ce9c10609c9b3658b7df981307bdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My diet is actually quite good. I finish a morning round of the animals before breakfast. Normally porridge or toast. I don't use salt on any meals. I don't eat much crap and my red meat consumption is low. I don't fry anything but use a George Foreman for anything that would be fried or grilled.

Usually able to stick to 3 meals a day and I eat plenty Apples etc and don't drink fizzy juice although I like a coffee, skimmed milk, no sugar.

My current weight is just over 14st.

Sounds like you eat pretty well then, you might find the little bit extra physical activity is all that's needed :)

May 2016, 2 weeks ago and this morning. Excuse the grainy zoomed in taps aff photo. 165ce9c10609c9b3658b7df981307bdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice one! That's some progress

Nice one! That's some progress

Thanks man. Still more to go, would love to be able to see all my abs, top two coming through now. 

Amazing what a break up and being put back onto the market can do for you!  :laugh4:

Thanks man. Still more to go, would love to be able to see all my abs, top two coming through now. 

Amazing what a break up and being put back onto the market can do for you!  :laugh4:

:lol:

Was doing some dumbbell bench presses tonight with the 26kg when I realised I'd done 10 without really trying. Done the next 2 sets of 10 with the 28kgs with a bit of a struggle, then managed to get 5 full reps with the 30kgs! Absolutely cheesing.

When I first started at the gym, I struggled to use the 4kg dumbbells for the same thing. Finally getting up into the big boy weights now! :yas:

Was doing some dumbbell bench presses tonight with the 26kg when I realised I'd done 10 without really trying. Done the next 2 sets of 10 with the 28kgs with a bit of a struggle, then managed to get 5 full reps with the 30kgs! Absolutely cheesing.

When I first started at the gym, I struggled to use the 4kg dumbbells for the same thing. Finally getting up into the big boy weights now! :yas:

Nice work, just keep increasing slowly but surely every couple weeks. 

I've been going to a boxing gym doing fitness classes for about a year and a half now without doing weight training but recently started them up again after my classes 3 times a week so i am doing double sessions.

Absolutely loving it i am feeling and looking stronger. Amazing what drive can do for you when you've got it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Leg day :muggy:

I actually really enjoy it. What I don't appreciate is working on the 5th floor in a building without a lift for the next few days afterwards :lol:

I've been going to a boxing gym doing fitness classes for about a year and a half now without doing weight training but recently started them up again after my classes 3 times a week so i am doing double sessions.

Absolutely loving it i am feeling and looking stronger. Amazing what drive can do for you when you've got it.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Keep it up mate. The progress you start to see in yourself is always a good feeling :thumbsup:

Back next week, At last! Injuries mostly healed. A fair bit of flab to lose, but that's already on the go.

Back next week, At last! Injuries mostly healed. A fair bit of flab to lose, but that's already on the go.

I've barely trained since my comp. Surprising how much fat you can pile on when you stop training and start drinking and eating shite lol

I've barely trained since my comp. Surprising how much fat you can pile on when you stop training and start drinking and eating shite lol

Taxiing and depression can be a problem for your fitness too. 5/6 six stone worth in 6 month :(

Taxiing and depression can be a problem for your fitness too. 5/6 six stone worth in 6 month :(

Ooft. Yeah depression is a ******* tbh. Glad your making steps to get back in the gym next week as that will help with the depression as much as the weight loss

AlimOzturk

Exercise for me is the ultimate depression healer. After a heavy drinking session i get the session depression which I find only exercise cures.

Motivation to actually do it can be affected because of depression. Vicious circle right there

Edited by AlimOzturk

Exercise for me is the ultimate depression healer. After a heavy drinking session i get the session depression which I find only exercise cures.

Motivation to actually do it can be affected because of depression. Vicious circle right there

I'm currently there. Signed off work with stress and I know how much exercise will help but can't get the motivation to go. Heavy training is usually the way I let out all my pent up anger and frustration so need to get back to it asap

I'm currently there. Signed off work with stress and I know how much exercise will help but can't get the motivation to go. Heavy training is usually the way I let out all my pent up anger and frustration so need to get back to it asap

I'll be focusing on my Cardio/fitness first. Then it's time for the Squat/Deads/Presses. I'm aiming for 15st 7lbs and 15% bodyfat for mid July. Muscle memory should help me out, as well as noxpump, gasp protein and nice CPS fat burners(Big Innes shites on the way, :D)

I'm also going back to Muay Thai and boxing. But one step at a time.

Edited by aussieh

I'll be focusing on my Cardio/fitness first. Then it's time for the Squat/Deads/Presses. I'm aiming for 15st 7lbs and 15% bodyfat for mid July. Muscle memory should help me out, as well as noxpump, gasp protein and nice CPS fat burners(Big Innes shites on the way, :D)

I'm also going back to Muay Thai and boxing. But one step at a time.

Cardio? Thats Spanish right :lol:

15st 7 at 15% would be impressive. How tall are you?

My mate Trev loves that NoX pump stuff. Not a fan myself but he reckons lets him push that bit harder.

AlimOzturk

15 stone 7 would be 15% body fat :wow:

I am currently 12 stone 5 and and no where near that despite efforts. Although I am 5ft6

My mate Trev loves that NoX pump stuff. Not a fan myself but he reckons lets him push that bit harder.

They removed the good stuff from DY noxpump, pump it's the business.

Oh , a quarter inch short of six fit. But I'm quite big. Not tall, big.

I was 93kg with 18% 3 years ago, I've backed on some muscle since, even with a year out, I've only lost arms size and fitness and got fat and slow. :D

Front row at rugby size.

AlimOzturk

Getting ready now for a 10k. Ambitious but going to go for it in under 50 mins

Getting ready now for a 10k. Ambitious but going to go for it in under 50 mins

Good luck!

AlimOzturk

Well, I did 10k but felt really good so kept going and ran a little over 10 miles.

RS, do you have a you tube channel?

Well, I did 10k but felt really good so kept going and ran a little over 10 miles.

Well done that man!

RS, do you have a you tube channel?

On Youtube and Insta RS86strength. Post more on Insta, only training videos go on YT