The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

henrysmithsgloves
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Wish I'd seen this accurate review before sitting through it...Absolutely dreadful. Survives 3.5m bullets and 1m stabs then gets killed by getting winged in the gut...

🤣 Bullet and stab proot suit,the scene on the stairs was the cherry on top🧐 cannot be dead though, there's a fifth movie*groan*

5 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

🤣 Bullet and stab proot suit,the scene on the stairs was the cherry on top🧐 cannot be dead though, there's a fifth movie*groan*

Aye but these are assassins - should be capable of a head hot. He was taking hits from machine guns by raising his lapels!

On 16/10/2023 at 12:03, henrysmithsgloves said:

John wick 4 😳 load of tosh, especially the scene where he is fighting on the stairs whilst doing the hokey cokey

I agree.  Dreadful movie.  Two hours wasted.

On 31/10/2023 at 23:14, Tazio said:

Just rewatched The Nice Guys. Top film with Ryan Reynolds and Russell Crowe both on top form and showing their comedy chops. 

FilmFour? I think I gave this a good review earlier in the thread. I agree with your review.

I went to see “ Flowers of the killer moon” Last night . I went to “ The Scotsman “ cinema . It’s the first time I’ve been there . It’s a luxury cinema with luxury prices i assume ( my mate took me , it’s my turn next time😎

As expected the film was outstanding . A harrowing tale of mass murders of native Americans . There were a few people implicated in the murders . The murders were committed so white benefactors could inherit the wealth of the native Americans they murdered . It’s a shameful time in an American history due to the racism and mistreatment the native Americans suffered . 

The performances are top notch . I don’t think I’ve seen Leonarda De Caprio gave a better performance than this complex role . Still not sure if the person he played had a mental disability ? Or maybe shell shock ? Boab de Niro was also outstanding in the truly villainous role of the organiser of the atrocities . 

The actress playing the main Native American female part Lily  Gladstone was terrific . Very moving . 

There was fine support from a host of supporting actors like the great John Lithgow ( love him ) and “ breaking bad “ Jesse Plemons .

The film was really interesting about Native American customs and spirituality . My mum always said Owls were unlucky and so do the Native Americans . 

its 3 and a half hours Long so it is an endurance test , Needless to say I had to go for a Lilian Gish a few times 😂

But it was good to actually just  concentrate and immerse myself into a film , instead of checking my phone every 30 mins or so . Lesson learned there.

9/10 

45 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

There was fine support from a host of supporting actors like the great John Lithgow ( love him ) and “ breaking bad “ Jesse Plemons . 

Jesse Plemons is a fine young actor, was great in BB and also in the 2nd season of Fargo he was in.

Married to Kirsten Dunst as well...lucky bugger.

1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Jesse Plemons is a fine young actor, was great in BB and also in the 2nd season of Fargo he was in.

Married to Kirsten Dunst as well...lucky bugger.

Yes he’s a fine actor . He was also great in “ love death  “ it’s well worth a watch . True life murder story but also very funny , not unlike “ Fargo “ 

6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I went to see “ Flowers of the killer moon” Last night . I went to “ The Scotsman “ cinema . It’s the first time I’ve been there . It’s a luxury cinema with luxury prices i assume ( my mate took me , it’s my turn next time😎

As expected the film was outstanding . A harrowing tale of mass murders of native Americans . There were a few people implicated in the murders . The murders were committed so white benefactors could inherit the wealth of the native Americans they murdered . It’s a shameful time in an American history due to the racism and mistreatment the native Americans suffered . 

The performances are top notch . I don’t think I’ve seen Leonarda De Caprio gave a better performance than this complex role . Still not sure if the person he played had a mental disability ? Or maybe shell shock ? Boab de Niro was also outstanding in the truly villainous role of the organiser of the atrocities . 

The actress playing the main Native American female part Lily  Gladstone was terrific . Very moving . 

The film was really interesting about Native American customs and spirituality . My mum always said Owls were unlucky and so do the Native Americans . 

its 3 and a half hours Long so it is an endurance test , Needless to say I had to go for a Lilian Gish a few times 😂

But it was good to actually just  concentrate and immerse myself into a film , instead of checking my phone every 30 mins or so . Lesson learned there.

9/10 

Gonna have to go to see that now.

Hopefully, you've done it justice with your review.

Were you Barry Norman in a previous life? Lol.

"Film '72" through to "Film '98", for our younger readers.

2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Gonna have to go to see that now.

Hopefully, you've done it justice with your review.

Were you Barry Norman in a previous life? Lol.

"Film '72" through to "Film '98", for our younger readers.

lol I read a lot of film criticism books . I enjoy films . 

The Killer on Netflix. Interesting film about a professional assassin and the aftermath of a job. Feels more like a European film than an American one so don’t expect massive shootouts and car chases, just tense set pieces and just the action it requires as a story. Most of the dialogue is in the form of a voiceover by the Killer played by Michael Fassbender. 

Carl Fredrickson

The Marvels. Awful film. Marvel have done a lot of poor films over the last few years and this one is beyond scrapping the bottom of the barrel. 

My son who loves all things Marvel and doesnt like any criticism of Marvel thought it was "just ok". 

2/10 and the points are for the outfits worn by the women. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Oppenheimer 

Im not sure if its the fact that I cant stand Robert Downy Junior or that I had built this film up so much in my head that made it feel like a bit of a let down. Honestly could have done with more science and less attention on his side-bird. The build up to The Trinity Test seemed very rushed once it got started, which for a three hour movie seemed strange. Murphy was predictably very good but on the whole especially the first hour it was a bit all over the place for no apparent reason. Not a bad movie but not one of the modern greats which is what I was expecting.

7/10

On 11/11/2023 at 22:10, Tazio said:

The Killer on Netflix. Interesting film about a professional assassin and the aftermath of a job. Feels more like a European film than an American one so don’t expect massive shootouts and car chases, just tense set pieces and just the action it requires as a story. Most of the dialogue is in the form of a voiceover by the Killer played by Michael Fassbender. 

Quite enjoyed that.

Watched Butchers Crossing about a buffalo hunter in America in the 1870'2. Didn't enjoy that as much.

I watched this at the weekend. Enjoyed it.

7.5/10

Watched the killer the other day.  It was just...ok.. I think. I didn't care about the lead, and well...I didn't care about any of the characters. Felt sorry for that one woman... But, is her own fault. 

Some interesting set pieces, but.. it was just ok

I won't ever watch this again

6/10

On 11/11/2023 at 22:13, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Marvels. Awful film. Marvel have done a lot of poor films over the last few years and this one is beyond scrapping the bottom of the barrel. 

My son who loves all things Marvel and doesnt like any criticism of Marvel thought it was "just ok". 

2/10 and the points are for the outfits worn by the women. 

Wow that bad..2 .. 

I don't think I've ever scored a movie 1.. maybe Going overboard with Adam Sandler.  But that doesn't count.   

I'm reading lots of different reviews of this and it seems very polarising.  Some giving it 8s and 9s some giving it 1 and 2s. 

I hope it's not because the the leads are all women and 2 of them didn't even have the decency to be white. 

I've not seen it yet. I probably will.  My most recent marvel movie scores

Thor love and thunder - 4.5/10. It was just terrible.. but some funny scenes

Black panther 2 - this was worse than Thor.. so 4/10.. 

Dr strange and the multiverse. 6 out of 10, some good performances and interesting concepts.. but a flawed movie

Ant Man.. I really liked the first 2.  I am not sure with this one, it made no sense. Again, some good funny bits.. But it just didn't work... So 5/10

Guardians 3.. I liked this more than the other ones. So 8 out 10.. was a lot of fun

Carl Fredrickson
18 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Wow that bad..2 .. 

I don't think I've ever scored a movie 1.. maybe Going overboard with Adam Sandler.  But that doesn't count.   

I'm reading lots of different reviews of this and it seems very polarising.  Some giving it 8s and 9s some giving it 1 and 2s. 

I hope it's not because the the leads are all women and 2 of them didn't even have the decency to be white. 

I've not seen it yet. I probably will.  My most recent marvel movie scores

Thor love and thunder - 4.5/10. It was just terrible.. but some funny scenes

Black panther 2 - this was worse than Thor.. so 4/10.. 

Dr strange and the multiverse. 6 out of 10, some good performances and interesting concepts.. but a flawed movie

Ant Man.. I really liked the first 2.  I am not sure with this one, it made no sense. Again, some good funny bits.. But it just didn't work... So 5/10

Guardians 3.. I liked this more than the other ones. So 8 out 10.. was a lot of fun

I am not a superhero fan though I have seen loads of Marvel and DC movies due to my son being a fan of both. The Marvels may high score with fans of the comic books and the wider Marvel universe but for me, taking it as a film on its own, I felt that there wasnt anything original and I had already seen the film about 20 or 30 times before via the other Marvel films (does that make sense). 

I read today that it is the worst opening weekend for any Marvel film - some of that may be due to it being all female leads but that didnt put me off. 

BTW I really enjoyed Guardians 3. 

21 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I am not a superhero fan though I have seen loads of Marvel and DC movies due to my son being a fan of both. The Marvels may high score with fans of the comic books and the wider Marvel universe but for me, taking it as a film on its own, I felt that there wasn't anything original and I had already seen the film about 20 or 30 times before via the other Marvel films (does that make sense). 

I read today that it is the worst opening weekend for any Marvel film - some of that may be due to it being all female leads but that didn't put me off. 

BTW I really enjoyed Guardians 3. 

I was a bit of a Marvel Fanboy- I knew about a lot of the characters and stories before the movie series so have loved seeing them on screen.  But recently, even I have felt a bit fatigued by them - I had my first child 2 years ago, so I don't go to the cinema anymore.  I haven't managed to watch the Disney + secret invasion series as the first 2 episodes were so mind numbingly boring... And I know the base material its made from which I loved... 

Haven't even started Loki season 2 yet 

(did start Invincible season 2 with the extra origin story the other day and it was brilliant) 

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Bigsmak said:

I was a bit of a Marvel Fanboy- I knew about a lot of the characters and stories before the movie series so have loved seeing them on screen.  But recently, even I have felt a bit fatigued by them - I had my first child 2 years ago, so I don't go to the cinema anymore.  I haven't managed to watch the Disney + secret invasion series as the first 2 episodes were so mind numbingly boring... And I know the base material its made from which I loved... 

Haven't even started Loki season 2 yet 

(did start Invincible season 2 with the extra origin story the other day and it was brilliant) 

My son watches all the Disney+ shows but I gave up on them after Hawkeye (I think that was the name of it). He really rates Loki S2 but I have already invested too much time on superhero films. 

Only another few years and you will be dragged along to kids movies that you will feel brain cells turning to mush as you watch them. Your kid will love the movie experience and you, if you are lucky, will get a wee sleep out of it. 

The Fablemans (4K disc)

what a great movie. Directed by Spielberg and a biopic of his childhood to moving to Hollywood to chase his dream of filmmaking. It’s all about his family and through school etc.

Superb and quite emotional.

I watched the extras and the attention to detail was impressive with the homes etc all built and furnished exactly as they were in his childhood

9/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

I think Disney/Marvel are in the middle of giving themselves a big shake in terms of what they make. Such as the recent news that the upcoming Blade will be rated R on release, and I saw a clip of Echo and it’s Wilson Fisk beating the snot out of someone. Also more Punisher content coming so the worry that the TV stuff was going to get sanitised after leaving Netflix seems to have been unfounded. I’m going to give Werewolf By Night a watch tonight as that’s meant to be quite a bit darker as well. 

The MCU is dying on its arse.

It's totally out of ideas but the studio refuses to take the foot off the gas on the production schedule and continues to shite out ever-worsening films instead of taking a year or two to sort itself out.

Phase 4 was a joke and Phase 5 is off to a terrible start.

Black Widow came out about three years too late. A prequel for a character that you know is already dead? Aye good one. It would have made sense to have it at a Phase 3 filler.

Shang-Chi started alright but ended up the usual CGI dolls/sky beams nonsense by the end. A good premise wasted.

Eternals was a confused mess. By the way, nobody in any Marvel TV show or film since then has even mentioned the giant dead alien that's sticking out of the planet.

Spider Man No Way Home was decent. But mainly due to the previous two Spider-Man actors and villains being there. Relied on nostalgia but fun enough.
Dr Strange 2 was piss awful.

Thor 4 was even worse. 

Wakanda Forever was another confused mess of a film. Your star man dying on you is bad, but pressing on and trying to jemmy in a new story just to meet a release deadline? Oof.

Ant Man 3 was awful. Truly awful.
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was good. Guardians was the originator of the self-referencing meta jokes that the entire MCU has tried and failed to copy. It remains the only film that does it right.
The Marvels is by all accounts shite. Re-writes, re-shoots, re-edits, off screen tensions, it has it all. In an age of three hour monster run times, this pish was cut down to around 90 minutes. Reviews have been scathing.

The recent MCU films are just about breaking even, at best. Some have lost money. Disney can't go on like this.

The Tv shows are going just as badly.

Wandavision began as an interesting, creatively bold show. Then devolved into CGI dolls and sky beams and the usual bad writing.
Falcon/Winter Soldier was pish. Pish baddies, pish story, pish characters, just pish.
Loki is the sole saving grace of the TV shows. Season 1 was interesting and Season 2 was also enjoyable.

Hawkeye was bad. Seeing Kingpin at the end was the only good bit.

Moon Knight took an interesting character and made it pish. I don't know what they were trying to do with this, but whatever it was they failed.

Ms Marvel. I'm not a teenage girl, so I don't care.

She-Hulk. There are no words.

Secret Invasion was beyond pish. Nick Fury has become a figure of ridicule.   

Echo, Ironheart and Agatha seem to be enthusing nobody. There is no audience waiting for these shows.
The Daredevil reboot has been totally scrapped and they're re-doing the whole thing from scratch. After having finished the first 6 episodes. Directors oot. Writers oot. Everybody oot. Do it again. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well I watched Werewolf By Night. Good fun and felt like a 50’s B movie horror or a Hammer film of the 60’s. Very deliberately of course. Only about 50 minutes and worth a watch. 

15 hours ago, Cade said:

Ms Marvel. I'm not a teenage girl...

Got to appreciate the lack of self awareness of this. Spends 100s of wards dissecting 3 years of TV and Film about people with magic powers in PVC clothes but the TV show about the teenage girl is a step too far 😄.

I actually agree with most of what you say. I quite liked Hawkeye though. Also didn't mind Wandavision.

Not seen Loki yet as the GF didn't like the look of Season 1 but has since decided actually she would like to watch it now that season 2 has been getting promoted. 

18 hours ago, Cade said:

Thor 4 was even worse. 

Was disappointed by this, Ragnarok was one of the stand outs from pre EndGame.

Watched this on Monday evening and thought it was good.

Quite subtle.

The Smiths soundtrack was a nice touch.

The Creator (2023)

In the near future, AI has become widespread and self aware.
Humans can be "reborn" and have their minds uploaded into Simulant robots. Other, purely mechanical, robots also inhabit the planet. 
After an AI coding error causes a nuclear bomb to be detonated over Los Angeles, the USA declares a global war of extermination against all AIs, whether simulants or robots, using a giant orbital weapons platform to nuke huge swathes of the planet.

The far east has fully accepted and integrated AI peoples into society and the final act of the war is set to play out here with both sides battling for control of a young simulant girl with strange powers.

A visually stunning film with some nice world building touches, The Creator is let down by a janky script and pretty shoddy editing.

The pacing is all over the place and the central message is confused.

It feels very much like a 6-part TV show that's been re-edited into a 130 minute film.

This story and this world would have benefitted from the longer format that TV offers.

Whilst it's refreshing to see an actual new, original piece of sci-fi that's not part of an established franchise, the script and editing let it down badly.

6/10

Disser Pointon
11 hours ago, Cade said:

The Creator (2023)

Humans can be "reborn" and have their minds uploaded into Simulant robots. Other, purely mechanical, robots also inhabit the planet. 
After an AI coding error causes a nuclear bomb to be detonated over Los Angeles, the USA declares a global war of extermination against all AIs, whether simulants or robots, using a giant orbital weapons platform to nuke huge swathes of the planet.

The far east has fully accepted and integrated AI peoples into society and the final act of the war is set to play out here with both sides battling for control of a young simulant girl with strange powers.

A visually stunning film with some nice world building touches, The Creator is let down by a janky script and pretty shoddy editing.

It feels very much like a 6-part TV show that's been re-edited into a 130 minute film.

This story and this world would have benefitted from the longer format that TV offers.

Whilst it's refreshing to see an actual new, original piece of sci-fi that's not part of an established franchise, the script and editing let it down badly.

6/10

Pity, was looking forward to that.

On 16/11/2023 at 21:26, Cade said:

The Creator (2023)

6/10

7/10 from me. Loved the visuals and general vibe. Some silly bits and plot holes stop it being great.

6 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Oppenheimer. Some terrific acting without a doubt but, having looked forward to it, I found it a bit of a drag. 7/10

Yeah 7 from me too. At least 30 mins longer than it needed to be.

Watched the latest Avatar on 4K disc.

looks and sounds amazing. The Atmos mix is brilliant and the film is great but 30 minutes too long. Great 2nd half though. 

14 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Watched the latest Avatar on 4K disc.

looks and sounds amazing. The Atmos mix is brilliant and the film is great but 30 minutes too long. Great 2nd half though. 

3/10 film if ever there was one.

Finally got round to watching OPPENHEIMER last night. 

Fantastic acting. Fantastic score which added plenty of suspense however the film itself was just... boring! Not sure what I was expecting but I thought there might be more. The Trinity Test scene was incredible as were a few others, it was all just way too drawn out to be exciting. 

I'd give it a 7/10 also.