The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Carl Fredrickson

Babylon. Switched off after 2 hours. Not to my taste. 2/10

Oppenheimer on the other had is. 3 hours long but IMO the time is needed to tell such an amazing story. This could be a modern masterpiece. Great acting, visuals and the story is told in a way that held my attention. 10/10

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Sisu (on IPTV).

Wow!

Based at the end of WW2 in Norway when the Nazi's are retreating and are dishing out their 'scorched earth policy'.

The hero is a nut-job ex-Norwegian soldier with a bit of a reputation. He's retired from the military and is now a gold miner. He digs up a find of gold in the rural far north of the country and he happens across the Germans when he's taking his gold home with him. Of course the try to steal it and that's when the blood and guts start flying.

Completely outrageous!!!

Loved it.

9/10  

rudi must stay

Jungleland

2 great actors in Hunnam and O'Connell and a film that is slow and steady. If you like boxing films give it a shot

8/10

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Sisu (on IPTV).

Wow!

Based at the end of WW2 in Norway when the Nazi's are retreating and are dishing out their 'scorched earth policy'.

The hero is a nut-job ex-Norwegian soldier with a bit of a reputation. He's retired from the military and is now a gold miner. He digs up a find of gold in the rural far north of the country and he happens across the Germans when he's taking his gold home with him. Of course the try to steal it and that's when the blood and guts start flying.

Completely outrageous!!!

Loved it.

9/10  

Finland. Sisu is a Finnish word that he embodies. 

33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Finland. Sisu is a Finnish word that he embodies. 

Yes. Youre correct. Got my Norways mixed up with my Finlands 😂

henrysmithsgloves

Rex... based on a true story about a dog handlers bond and how she fought for the dog when it was to be " retired"

It saved her, and a fair few marines life's in Iraq.

9/10

Rokuten TV on smart telly

Edited by henrysmithsgloves

rudi must stay

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On

Marcel is a wee shell that talks. The imagination here makes this brilliant. You won't have seen anything like it

10/10

JudyJudyJudy

“ Togo” 

The film centers on Leonhard Seppala and his titular sled dog in the 1925 serum run to Nome to transport diphtheriaantitoxin serum through harsh conditions during an epidemic of diphtheria

it was really good . William De foe never fails to excell in his acting .

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ Togo” 

The film centers on Leonhard Seppala and his titular sled dog in the 1925 serum run to Nome to transport diphtheriaantitoxin serum through harsh conditions during an epidemic of diphtheria

it was really good . William De foe never fails to excell in his acting .

Is it as exciting as your review

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Is it as exciting as your review

Wasn’t my review Rudi copy paste job.  Too many difficult words for me to spell lol but it’s well worth a watch 7/10 

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Wasn’t my review Rudi copy paste job.  Too many difficult words for me to spell lol but it’s well worth a watch 7/10 

Ok

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Americana said:

Big question for this weekend, does Oppenheimer really need to be viewed in the cinema? 

I don’t really fancy it . Unsure what all the palaver is about ? 

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I don’t really fancy it . Unsure what all the palaver is about ? 

The palaver is about what an incredibly well made piece of film it is. Script, direction, performances, design, the whole shebang. Everyone I know that has seen it has been massively impressed. 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The palaver is about what an incredibly well made piece of film it is. Script, direction, performances, design, the whole shebang. Everyone I know that has seen it has been massively impressed. 

Cool 🤙 I fancy “ barbie “ actually . 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Cool 🤙 I fancy “ barbie “ actually . 

My son and a couple of his mates went to see it yesterday, said it was shite, I asked him why they went to see it as I didn't think it was their sort of films, he said because they thought lots of girls would be there to see it🤦 

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

My son and a couple of his mates went to see it yesterday, said it was shite, I asked him why they went to see it as I didn't think it was their sort of films, he said because they thought lots of girls would be there to see it🤦 

Lol I think it’s meant to be a post modern take on barbie , it’s had mixed reviews , some saying it’s too woke and anti men , and it’s a feminist war cry . It just looks light hearted nonsense with excellent actors and a great director so I think it might be good . I know “Oppenheimer “ will be brilliant but I tend to watch light hearted or science fi stuff on the big screen . 👍

John Findlay
20 hours ago, Americana said:

Big question for this weekend, does Oppenheimer really need to be viewed in the cinema? 

Yes.

Carl Fredrickson
On 27/07/2023 at 16:13, Americana said:

I would say it doesnt have to be viewed on the big screen but if you get the chance to see it on the big screen, I would say YES to it. 

Educating Rita.

Going back in time here. 

This is a film about class, education (obviously), belief, determination and change.

It’s about good intentions to make someone’s life better yet you make the person worse off than when they started in your eyes.

Forget anything other than fantastic method acting performances from Sir Michael Caine and Dame Julie Walters. This is all about them. The story is about them. They are the film and they own it from start to finish.

An acting masterclass.

On 27/07/2023 at 16:13, Americana said:

On 28/07/2023 at 12:29, John Findlay said:

Yes.

The film has a scale and vision made for the cinema. Actually one of the most cinema first films I've seen. 

Barbie

Went last night and left a bit confused about the point it was trying to make.

Spoiler

Clearly its core message is about female equality however it appears that its solution was to re-establish the matriarchy that existed the whole time in Barbieland. For example not letting any of the Kens reach the senate or whatever they have.

I did like the part where Helen Mirren addresses the casting of Margot Robbie though

Apart from the above though I thought it was quite funny but wouldn't tell anyone they must see it.

Oppenheimer 

Seen this on Tuesday at IMAX. Someone before asked if it was a film you had to see at the cinema. It's an easy yes. And probably even essential to see at IMAX. 

Nolan films can be difficult to follow and even difficult to hear the dialogue however this isnt a issue for this. You do need to give it your full attention to keep track of the jumps in time periods and the lengthy back and forths in the two "trials" but the language isn't full of jargon.

At 3 hours long I actually found final hour to be the most engaging. 

Every actor played their roles brilliantly and Murphy and Downey Jr will be nominated for dozens of awards. Probably their best roles yet. An incredible story which I never knew anything about beforehand and after watching I was surprised to find that lretty much everything happened with very little added for dramatic effect. I did have one gripe though. 

Spoiler

The Trinity experiment scene at the moment the bomb goes off. I didn't like the way the bomb was represented. There was no scale, just close up shots that we seen in the trailers. I was expecting a bit more. The sound and tension however was perfect.

Aside from the above it never took much away from the whole experience. The Dark Knight has held top spot in my film rankings since it came out but I think this has at least matched it in top spot.

I'll probably try see it again at IMAX before it leaves the cinema.

10/10

On 29/07/2023 at 14:52, rudi must stay said:

Human Traffic

What an energetic and exciting film. Love it

10/10

Human Traffic is awful 😅 each to their own ;)

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Barbie

Reveal hidden contents

Clearly its core message is about female equality however it appears that its solution was to re-establish the matriarchy that existed the whole time in Barbieland. For example not letting any of the Kens reach the senate or whatever they have.

I did like the part where Helen Mirren addresses the casting of Margot Robbie though

Apart from the above though I thought it was quite funny but wouldn't tell anyone they must see it.

Oppenheimer 

Seen this on Tuesday at IMAX. Someone before asked if it was a film you had to see at the cinema. It's an easy yes. And probably even essential to see at IMAX. 

Nolan films can be difficult to follow and even difficult to hear the dialogue however this isnt a issue for this. You do need to give it your full attention to keep track of the jumps in time periods and the lengthy back and forths in the two "trials" but the language isn't full of jargon.

At 3 hours long I actually found final hour to be the most engaging. 

Every actor played their roles brilliantly and Murphy and Downey Jr will be nominated for dozens of awards. Probably their best roles yet. An incredible story which I never knew anything about beforehand and after watching I was surprised to find that lretty much everything happened with very little added for dramatic effect. I did have one gripe though. 

Reveal hidden contents

The Trinity experiment scene at the moment the bomb goes off. I didn't like the way the bomb was represented. There was no scale, just close up shots that we seen in the trailers. I was expecting a bit more. The sound and tension however was perfect.

Aside from the above it never took much away from the whole experience. The Dark Knight has held top spot in my film rankings since it came out but I think this has at least matched it in top spot.

I'll probably try see it again at IMAX before it leaves the cinema.

10/10

Similar take to me on Barbie but I'd give it  7.5/8. Something really quite different and funny. Felt it lost momentum and as you say sight of the point it was making. Also didn't enjoy the finale before the final scene and thought it was out of pacing with the rest of the film.

Finally got round to seeing Hereditary. Absolutely loved it. Not one for horror movies typically, probably only seen 3 in the last decade, but what a fantastically made film. No real jump scares, just a constant feeling of dread throughout. Loved it. 

11 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Barbie

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

The point of the Barbie film is to sell merchandise 

On 28/07/2023 at 21:49, Carl Fredrickson said:

I would say it doesnt have to be viewed on the big screen but if you get the chance to see it on the big screen, I would say YES to it. 

I think everyone is expecting some incredible explosions scenes to be littered throughout the film, I suspect the only explosion scene will be the trinity test and then another 2hr 40 mins of drama which I would rather watch at home without noisy eaters and people with pour hygiene sitting beside me. May be wrong though.

Settled on a trip with my ten year old to see Barbie, this film really isn't for children. They will struggle to grasp the hidden jokes and innuendos and is really just a massive push for extreme feminism , the only thing gripe would be the expectation this is a fun family film. Its shite and I have no idea why Will Ferrels character was even necessary.

Barbie : A generous 3/10, most of that is just how much camera time Margot Robbies rear gets.

Tetris (2023)

Have to say one of my favourite films of late. Not sure how much of it is gospel but thoroughly entertaining and full of laughs.

8.5/10

On 03/08/2023 at 12:54, Negan said:

Human Traffic is awful 😅 each to their own ;)

Not usually one to back up Rudis film reviews and 10/10 it is not but still a decent film, very easy to connect with if you spent your late teens and early twenties between club nights and afterparties. This and The Football Factory are the only two pieces of media I can stomach Danny Dyer in.

Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse (2023)

Visually stunning animated feature bringing some new life and energy to the failing Superhero genre.

Miles better than anything Disney has sharted out in Phases 4 and 5 of the increasingly poor MCU.

8/10

On 08/08/2023 at 10:59, Americana said:

Tetris (2023)

Have to say one of my favourite films of late. Not sure how much of it is gospel but thoroughly entertaining and full of laughs.

8.5/10

I enjoyed it and afterwards read up on the story online. Pretty accurate apart from the odd bits here and there

Fire_At_The_Disco

The Swimmers on Netflix, the story of 2 sisters who are Syrian female swimmers who escape the troubles to Europe. It’s an absolutely stunning film and a great watch although harrowing at times. 
9/10

Carl Fredrickson

The Haunted Mansion (2023)

I have struggled with a lot of recent Disney films but I really enjoyed this. My daughter is 8 and wants to try watching scarier films (might be a bit early for Babadook) so we went to see this yesterday.

A few jump scares and darker moments but plenty of laughs too. 

8/10 as it is a decent family film.

The Deepest Breath (Netflix).

great docufilm about the extreme sport of underwater diving and the true story of a diver and her relationship.

sounds boring but it is superb and a very touching tale.  
9/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

Carl Fredrickson

A Man Called Otto

This will not be to everyones liking but I loved it. Quite an emotional watch with a few funny moments. 

8/10

On 14/08/2023 at 10:41, rudi must stay said:

Heart Of Stone

Easy watch

8/10

Switched it off after 20 mins.

The graphics that were on screen when she was skiing to show her what path to take just ruined it. I couldnt watch such pish. 3/10 for the 20 mins I seen.