The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Me before you

8/10

Gave it such a high score for the wife, if there was such a thing as a tearometer for films this would have been pretty high for her. British Rom Com about a girl who looks after a wheelchair bound bloke. Emilia Clarke stars, very unlike her GOT role. Had a Richard Curtis feel to it but can't find the link.

The nice guys. Russell Crowe& Ryan Gosling playing down on their luck private eyes in 70s LA. Good chemistry between the two leads and i didnt expect it to be as funny as it was. A solid 8/10

Hell or High Water

8/10

Enjoyable heist movie with strong performances, including a True Grit-esque turn by Jeff Bridges as a Texas Ranger close to retirement.

Pulgasari 5/10

This is the North Korean version of Godzila. It's the back story of how this came about thats more interesting. Kim Jung Il got his secret service to kidnap a Japanese director and his wife and forced him to make this in 1985.

Jason Bourne 7/10

Not the best in the series but a good watch.

Honestly though this was terrible. Even worse than the Bourne Legacy.

The original three were fantastic and they should have been left as they were.

Just watched The Lobster, with Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz.  It's described as an absurdist, distopian comedy drama.  I'd describe it as crap.

Two hours of my life I'll never get back.  2/10

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Sully last night and really enjoyed it. I tend to watch TV more than films. 

I was aware of the plane landing on the Hudson and the rescue of the passengers but was oblivious to the crash investigation. 

Very well acted and a most enjoyable movie. 

8/10

...a bit disco

Pulgasari 5/10

This is the North Korean version of Godzila. It's the back story of how this came about thats more interesting. Kim Jung Il got his secret service to kidnap a Japanese director and his wife and forced him to make this in 1985.

Where/how did you see this?

I love that kind of thing.

Where/how did you see this?

I love that kind of thing.

YouTube for the film. There was a documentary on the kidnapping as well i seen ages ago. The film is a pure rip off of Godzilla

...a bit disco

YouTube for the film. There was a documentary on the kidnapping as well i seen ages ago. The film is a pure rip off of Godzilla

Nice one.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Bridge Of Spies - solid Cold War thriller with a fine performance from Mark Rylance. The Coen's being involved probably helped stop Spielberg making the ending like the end of Rocky IV. 8/10

Jim: The James Foley Story - fascinating documentary about the US journalist who was executed by ISIS. Focused more on his life than death so was like a eulogy but the stories from his fellow captives were harrowing. 8/10

Shanks said no

The Boss

4/10

Never understood the Melissa McCarthy love in some experience and she pops up as the star and writer of this comedy. Only one LOL moment that I remember and the story centres around a fallen US celebrity resurrecting her career through the American equivalent of the Brownies. Its a 15 so I am unsure who it was aimed at. Peter Dinklage has a supporting role as he spurned ex.

Shanks said no

Was fortunate enough to see a preview showing of this today, UK release on 16/12/16

The Eagle Huntress

years

A beautifully shot documentary film made in the Kazakh region of Mongolia. It follows a girl who decides she wants to be an eagle hunter, she will be the first female ever to do this, for hundreds of years the skills have been passed from father to son. What follows is a remarkable tale on a subject I knew absolutely nothing about. Things I now know include

• how to get a young eagle
  • how to train it
  • what you do in an eagle hunters competition
  • how to catch a fox with an eagle
  • what happens to the eagle after 7 years

Amanda Knox

8/10

Didn't know a great deal of the story before watching this. Fascinating case. I instantly found myself not trusting a word Knox was saying, however she is possibly just a bit of an oddball, and that doesn't mean she's guilty.

Hateful 8, not great but not bad either. If it hadn't been nearly 3 hours long it would have been a solid 7/10, but it deserves a point off for being over long. 

Back to the future : part 3..

Watched this with a friend who hadnt seen any of these movies until recently.

Stupid ending to the series. Relies on the same jokes over and over again but this time in a western setting. But I still loved it and laughed throughout. I will definitely watch it again in years to come.

Probably the weakest of the 3 but still good.

7/10

Shanks said no

Was fortunate enough to see a preview showing of this today, UK release on 16/12/16

The Eagle Huntress

?9/10

A beautifully shot documentary film made in the Kazakh region of Mongolia. It follows a girl who decides she wants to be an eagle hunter, she will be the first female ever to do this, for hundreds of years the skills have been passed from father to son. What follows is a remarkable tale on a subject I knew absolutely nothing about. Things I now know include

• how to get a young eagle
  • how to train it
  • what you do in an eagle hunters competition
  • how to catch a fox with an eagle
  • what happens to the eagle after 7 years

Score went array, should have been a 9/10

?Back to lesser offerings

?Hardcore Henry

?6/10

?Extra point for the most violent opening titles I have ever seen, you know what you are in for if you watch them. Violent and very loud Sci Fi film about half man / half robot Henry. Very high body count.

Shanks said no

The Neon Demon

4/10

Read great reviews and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive etc). Billed as a horror but I felt it dwelled way too much on image than anything else. Story about LA models and the young starlet taking the older bursd crowns. Disappointed.

rudi must stay

David Brent Life on The Road

waited a long time to see this film and I wasn't disappointed. Genius writing without Stephen Merchant and it takes the character further than the tv show did

10/10

Shanks said no

David Brent, Life on the Road

8/10

Liked it but thought it fell short of the perfect Office but then again I was one of his many critics when he died at the Diana Concert and haven't forgotten. http://www.contactmusic.net/ricky-gervais/news/gervais-hits-back-at-diana-concert-critics_1051466

Whether it was just too much Brent for me or the overtones of the superior Partridge when playing the hopeless loser, I just felt a tiny little bit disappointed.

Edited by godandgorgie2012

Shanks said no

The Good Neighbor

6/10

Good to see James Caan starring alongside a couple of youngsters. Novel tale that although signposted doesn't pan out as you expect. Basically 2 lads set up cameras etc in their neighbours house and plan to torment him. I didn't like the outcome.

Trumbo - really interesting, funny and heartwarming film about a Communist scriptwriter blacklisted under McCarthyism, who won two oscars (one for Spartacus, the other for Roman Holiday) but had to use pseudonyms or have someone act as a front. Excellent, Oscar-nominated performance from Bryan Cranston with great support from the likes of John Goodman and Louis CK. 8/10

The Revenant - missed this at the cinema. Outstanding. Great cinematography and Di Caprio was very good. 9/10

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

9/10. Well they pulled it off. A great ride. The story builds well and pulls you along to an impressive climax. There is a realness about more of the scenes and a sense of commitment by all the characters. The scenery scenes are impressive and an effort has been made with the detail. I saw it on 2D but 3D will be good too. A lot of interesting characters. The main bunch as in the poster are pretty diverse. Some surprises too. But well done.

Overall a very good film with good energy. Takes Star Wars to a bit of a new level.

Rogue One 9.5/10

Loved it. The robot K2? And Donnie Yen stole the show. Only Empire beats this IMO. If this is the quality of the stand alone movies then i cant wait for more.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 8.5/10  If you like Star Wars you really wont be disappointed with this.

Felt much much more like the original three films than the recent efforts, recommended.

Carl Fredrickson

Gremlins

My son wanted to watch a Christmas movie this afternoon and he is a bit young for Die Hard, so Gremlins was chosen.

Great movie, a bit dated but I still laughed at bits that I first saw about 30 years ago. 

A truly classic movie 9/10

Dagger Is Back

Gremlins

My son wanted to watch a Christmas movie this afternoon and he is a bit young for Die Hard, so Gremlins was chosen.

Great movie, a bit dated but I still laughed at bits that I first saw about 30 years ago.

A truly classic movie 9/10

Loved that movie. You gonna watch Gremlins 2?

Carl Fredrickson

Loved that movie. You gonna watch Gremlins 2?

He is wanting to watch it when he gets in from school today. From memory No 2 was a bit of a disappointment - will post a review if we watch it.  :2thumbsup:

Pitbull (Tough Women)

Polish gangster / Police film. It's a good yarn with a mix of stories interwoven. Rambling and a little dis-satisfying. But enjoyable enough with some funny moments. A bit of a mix between a 70s cop story and more modern tv drama.

8/10

Dagger Is Back

Gremlins 2

Nowhere near as good as the original. Still a few laughs but a poor movie 3/10

Yeah from memory it was a big disappointment.

Carl Fredrickson

Madagascar

Really like this film, expected it to be rubbish but it is very funny. Sacha Baron Cohen is superb as King Julien

8/10

There are another 2 and lots of shorts too. My son loves it but it my love for it has gone due to over watching. 

Shanks said no

Finding Dory

4/10

Once again I ask myself why I have watched another cartoon, maybe like Dory I am suffering from short term memory loss, but I just didn't enjoy it. OK there were some good other fishy creatures and animals but too many fish!

Shanks said no

^ just added to my rental list upon your rental list.

Just checked my records and I have watched 191 blurays/dvds in the last year, plus cinema and tv, think I need a break as am getting too fussy!

anyway

Ghostbusters (2016)

2/10

Another mistake Melissa bleeding McCarthy. How to ruin a classic feel good sing along film, employ her. Wife gave up on it after 4 minutes, I persisted but it was woeful (as always only my opinion and it may suit others)