The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

rudi must stay

Everything Must Go

A rom com starring Will Ferrell. A nice movie, and a different performance from Ferrell. One which he plays terrifically

7/10

Interstellar

10/10

Even better the second time round. My favourite film of all time.

Hans Zimmer is a god - how this didn't win an Oscar for best score I will never know.

Also, that docking scene... **** me.

Shanks said no

Race

7/10

Good Biopic on Jesse Owens which seemed a fair representation of his astonishing achievements. The nazi episode and the disgusting Avery Brundage (sports chiefs haven't changed much) came as no real surprise. I didn't expect the film to show the open racism within the USA, not even set in a historical context, he wasn't honoured by the White House until 1990, years after his death.

to quote Owens "Hitler didn?t snub me?it was our president who snubbed me,? 

rudi must stay

Aloha

A film with a suprisingly clever and interesting plot for a rom com. Plenty of good performances, as usual Bradly Cooper is excellent, but I thought Emma Stone put in the films best performance

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Interstellar

10/10

Even better the second time round. My favourite film of all time.

Hans Zimmer is a god - how this didn't win an Oscar for best score I will never know.

Also, that docking scene... **** me.

Yes he is a great composer. I love his music in " Hannibal"... I just love that film but the music tops it off. Did you know he also wrote the music the awful daytime show " going for gold" lol..not a lot of people know that.

Carl Fredrickson

Currently an hour into Ghostbusters 2016. My son was desperate to see it and he is loving it. I am not. 

I give it 0/10 (it really is that bad) but my son is giving it 10/10. 

So somewhere in between depending on your age (46 and 6) and your taste..

Also recently watched the Angry Birds movie with him. He loved it and while I am not the target audience, I did laugh a few times. 6/10

Shanks said no

Scottish Mussel

6/10

Harmless Scottish comedy about some lads from Glasgow who get into pearl hunting. Good tunes (apart from 1) and a pleasant cliched wee film.

Oslo, August 31st - Norwegian film about a junkie on day release from rehab who takes stock of his life. Non-judgemental and very well acted. 8/10

GIrl on the Train 6/10

Ponderously slow but atmospheric first hour, turned into a reasonable thriller/mystery. Unbelievable ending. Not like unbelievably good. Unbelieveable as in not credible.

Not one I will remember for very long.

suicide squad - 5/10

over stylised and lacked a decent plot or proper character development. Will Smith was wrong for deadshot just for me didn't suit the role. for me they could have focused on harley quinn and diablo as they seemed like ones that they could have built the film more about. on the joker there was so much scope of wat they could do with him but basically made him a psychotic lovestruck fool. if they properly develop the character hopefully in his own film i think we could see the best representation of the joker.

Not really my genre and kind of pressed into watching it because others wanted to. Even allowing for that, it was dreadful. 3/10 for me.

Oslo, August 31st - Norwegian film about a junkie on day release from rehab who takes stock of his life. Non-judgemental and very well acted. 8/10

I saw this a few years back. Bleak.

Shanks said no

The Man who knew Infinity

5/10

Interesting tale set around 1914 about an Indian native genius and his quest to be accepted into Cambridge University. It covers the cultural and racial clashes he experiences as he seeks acceptance and the opportunity to share his findings. Just felt there was something missing or maybe the subject was just too dry to entertain me. Stars Dev Patel and at times felt like a vehicle for him to perform, co stars include Stephen Fry, Jeremy Irons and Toby Jones.

Watched The Grand Budapest Hotel the other night.

Total classic IMO. Now one of my top 10 movies of all time.

9.5/10

Fantastic & really funny.

Shanks said no

I saw the Light

5/10

Biopic of Hank Williams short adult life. Educational if nothing else, I knew some of the songs but didn't know how early he was, coming years before Elvis and others.

luckyBatistuta

Just watched ANTHROPOID, which there is a perfect copy of in Exodus. It is based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the World War II mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich. It also stars Cillian Murphy, who I think is another great actor.

I always enjoy films more when they are based on a true story. It's not the best war film I've seen, but it's still brilliant.

I'd still give it 9/10

Downfall

9/10

There is a thread in the Shed about this 2004 film which I watched last night on a recommendation. It concerns the last days of Hitler and the collapse of Berlin.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Its a long film and its subtitles so its something you have to have the time to watch and concentrate on.

Edited by CollyWolly

The Nice Guys

7/10

Enjoyable nonsense. Crowe and Gosling surprisingly good in comedy roles.

The Shallows

5.5/10

Less enjoyable nonsense but still watchable, mostly thanks to Blake Lively. :wub:

Dagger Is Back

Just watched ANTHROPOID, which there is a perfect copy of in Exodus. It is based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the World War II mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich. It also stars Cillian Murphy, who I think is another great actor.

I always enjoy films more when they are based on a true story. It's not the best war film I've seen, but it's still brilliant.

I'd still give it 9/10

Have been looking for that but obviously not closely enough. Thanks

"Dr Strange". in 3D last night

Id give it 6/10

Fantastic and trippy special effects.  Outstanding in fact. The plot is pretty dire though but acting is decent from a great cast. Especially the great Mads Mikkleson.

Rachel Mcadams wasted in a small part. Tilda Swinton terrific though 

I'd still give it 9/10

Watched it a couple of nights ago, really good even though I had a rough knowledge of the story. 8/10

Watched amatuer night with Jason Biggs last night. Meh. 4/10

Sausage party too, ok in bits 6/10

Dagger Is Back

:thumbsup:

You'll enjoy it bud.

Family all out tonight so just me and the pup. Really enjoyed it. My mate had recommended it but I missed it at the flicks.

Really good copy and a very very good film.

On a heavier note has mankind learned **** all?

Cheers for letting us know it was on Kodi

Purple sunset. 6.5/10

Chinese film about the Russians attacking Japanese forces in China. Story is set around a Chinese farmer who was imprisoned and tortured by the Japanese. A Russian female medic and a Japanese schoolgirl who was brought up in China who's trying to get back to Japan.

Obviously as its Chinese made everything Japanese is evil and twisted but it shows how brainwashed they were.

LSD Eindhoven

White Island - An ex-DJ who is trying to live a normal life in London is dragged back into the seductive drug-fuelled world of Ibiza nightclubs.

Had high hopes for this film but it's a complete pile of steaming dog shit. Darren Day plays a gangster in it ffs!

Possibly the first film I've ever switched off in anger.

1/10 (and that's only for some nice shots of Ibiza)

LSD Eindhoven

Is that the film with example in it? Seen him on soccer am (yes I know) talking about a ibiza film that he was in.

Aye, Had to google it as couldn't remember seeing him in it. Must come into after I switched it off!

luckyBatistuta

Family all out tonight so just me and the pup. Really enjoyed it. My mate had recommended it but I missed it at the flicks.

Really good copy and a very very good film.

On a heavier note has mankind learned **** all?

Cheers for letting us know it was on Kodi

Learned nothing bud and sadly I think they never will.

Shanks said no

Truth

7/10

US Newsroom drama around Dan Rather and the 60 minutes team breaking the story that Bush avoided the draft by joining the national guard and then not turning up often. Much better that I expected and I regret I put it on while decorating the living room! Robert Redford shines as Rather and many other great performances.

Rudolf's Mate

Hunt for the Wilderpeople 8.5/10

Went on what people were saying on here and I wasn't disappointed. Brilliant watch and had me in stitches in bits.

Dagger Is Back

Learned nothing bud and sadly I think they never will.

Aye. Another foreign policy disaster for GB too. Basically just handing over Czechoslovakia to the Germans!

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Star Trek Beyond 2/10

Absolute drivel, i had to switch it off.

Usually like the Star trek movies, but I'd agree with this, just couldn't get into it and the final thought was I wouldn't be gutted if they didn't make another.

Time for it to revert back to the small screen.

Captain Fantastic 9/10

Was actually fantastic.

I held off on this one thinking it would be yet another DC or Marvel comics type film. I was very pleasantly surprised when I did watch it.

Nocturnal Animals 6/10

It's different and I was left wondering the point.

After very good reviews a little disappointed.

Good crowd in to see it this afternoon.

Rudolf's Mate

Anthropoid - 7.5/10

I love a slow burner however I struggled with the first 50 mins or so. The last hour or so was fantastic and it I might have scored it even higher had it not been for the start.

Suicide Squad - 8/10

I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it however I thought it was great. 

GIrl on the Train 6/10

Ponderously slow but atmospheric first hour, turned into a reasonable thriller/mystery. Unbelievable ending. Not like unbelievably good. Unbelieveable as in not credible.

Not one I will remember for very long.

I just finished the book. Incredibly overrated. I think ill give the film a miss. 

Anthropoid - 7.5/10

I love a slow burner however I struggled with the first 50 mins or so. The last hour or so was fantastic and it I might have scored it even higher had it not been for the start.

Suicide Squad - 8/10

I went into it thinking I wouldn't like it however I thought it was great. 

I really enjoyed Anthropoid...8/10 for me. In the week of remembrance it was humbling to watch what ordinary people endured in the second world war. Horrific scenes in this film and very much based on a true story. These people were genuine heroes. 

Supersonic.....Oasis up to Knebworth.

Liam and Noel terrific entertainment interview wise as always.

Loved the bit where Liam strolls in and nails Champagne Supernova in one take.

rudi must stay

Watched a few animated films

The Pirates!

A riot from start to finish with some great voice performances

8/10

Wallace and Gromit and the curse of the wererabbit

Have watched bits of this a few times and never liked it as much as the other Wallace and Gromit films. It just doesn't quite have what they have, possibly due to it being quite dark

6/10

Flushed Away

A few performances aside a terrible film

5/10

luckyBatistuta

Watched a few animated films

The Pirates!

A riot from start to finish with some great voice performances

8/10

Wallace and Gromit and the curse of the wererabbit

Have watched bits of this a few times and never liked it as much as the other Wallace and Gromit films. It just doesn't quite have what they have, possibly due to it being quite dark

6/10

Flushed Away

A few performances aside a terrible film

5/10

:vrwow:

Flushed Away is one of my families favourite animated films. We bought it on DVD and have probably watched it about 20 times...great movie 9/10

Carl Fredrickson

Went to the cinema today with our boy to see Dr Strange. I was never into any superhero movies up until my boy got interested. I didnt even know there was a superhero called Dr Strange (other than Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc I dont know many others)

To the film, I went in with no great expectations and I felt that the telling of the back story dragged on a bit but once the action started it was riveting stuff. The special effects were as good if not better than any other film I have watched and Benedict Cumberbatch (sp?) was very impressive. He is an actor that has grown on me over time. 

My boy loved it - as you would expect and I enjoyed it a lot more than expected. 

8/10

rudi must stay

:vrwow:

Flushed Away is one of my families favourite animated films. We bought it on DVD and have probably watched it about 20 times...great movie 9/10

Just felt quite a random film to me. Liked Ian McKellan's part and voice acting though

Arrival with my 11 year old boy today.

Really enjoyed it. He found parts of it tricky to grasp but still enjoyed it.

Solid 8

Edit for a 10/10 for Dominion seats.

Edited by robbo1874