The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Dog eat Dog

2/10

The start featuring William Defoe is extremely shocking but the film quickly deteriorates as soon as Nicholas Cage appears. What looked like a decent B movie goes rapidly downhill.

Hacksaw Ridge

8/10

Not for the timid, lots of blood and gore but a decent story there as well. A 2 hour 20 minute film that flashed by. 

Say What Again

Arrival 5/10

I can't say too much about the plot, but I knew it wasn't going to be ray guns and blasters. I did expect it, given the high rating on IMDb, to be more interesting than it was. I found it a real drag to watch through to the end as it was just so dull and inevitably predictable.

Shanks said no

Had to watch 2 women's films with the better half, this is her opinion as I thought they were crap

The Meddler

5/10

An aging widow is the Meddler, played by a fully clothed Susan Sarandon (I kept watching in the hope that she may show more) who wants to control everyone else's life whilst hers is on hold. Good first half but fell away towards the end.

Maggies Plan

4/10

Comedy drama about a NY singleton who decides to get pregnant. It doesn't go to plan and a drama unfolds with very little comedy.

Jaco.

Documentary about Jaco Pastorius the amazing bass player. I watched it as I knew it would be interesting with lots of good concert clips and interviews. However I didn't realise just how bad his life had got before his tragically early life so the last 20 minutes or so were genuinely affecting.

A great watch if you enjoy watching an astonishing musician though. Nobody before it since has played like him.

8/10

luckyBatistuta

Patriots Day...7/10...decent watch about the bombings at the Boston marathon...good insight into how they tried to track down the bombers.

Hacksaw Ridge...9/10...absolutely cracking war film based on a true story of medic Desmond Doss during the Battle of Okinawa.

The Girl on the Train...5/10...started off thinking this was going to be good and ended up thinking please just end...boring.

Deepwater Horizon...8/10...good film based on the disaster which caused the worst oil spill in US history.

Keeping Up with the Jones's...3/10...about a couple whose new neighbours are spies...garbage.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe...4/10...horror, coroners trying to identify the cause of death of a young female...started off well but ended up being garbage.

Greater...8.5/10...one for NFL fans, based on a true story about Brandon Burlsworth who is probably the greatest walk-on in college football history...

The Good Neighbour...7/10...a couple of teenagers try to haunt their neighbour but get more than they bargain for.

Rurouni Kenshin...8/10...if you like lots of samurai sword fighting, you'll like this (definitely a marmite film)...after the Bakumatsu war in 1868, the former assassin Kenshin promises to defend those in need without killing (subtitles).

" Elle" with the now oscar nominated Isabelle Huppert.  This is an odd film , almost a comedy about rape. But really good and an excellent performance from Huppert. Im betting she will walk away with the Oscar.   7/10 

" Moonlight"....a coming of age drama about a black guy in Miami.  It has had rave reviews and been nominated for 8 Oscars. I found it ok but nothing outstanding. However was shocked afterwards to see that Naomie Harris was one of the actors in this.  She plays the main characters drug addict mother. She was outstanding  7/10

" Ingrid Bergman in her own words"....fascinating documentary about the late great actress,with plenty home movies and transcripts from her letters and diaries.  What a great career and even more remarkable personal life..basically she couldnt give a **** about what people thought about her. 10/10 

luckyBatistuta

" Moonlight"....a coming of age drama about a black guy in Miami.  It has had rave reviews and been nominated for 8 Oscars. I found it ok but nothing outstanding. However was shocked afterwards to see that Naomie Harris was one of the actors in this.  She plays the main characters drug addict mother. She was outstanding  7/10

[/b]

Watched Moonlight this afternoon and thought afterwards "there's a couple of hours of my life I'm never going to get back"

I can't believe that it's been nominated for 8 oscars...for what. Hope Naomie Harris isn't nominated for one as she was only in about 6 scenes and nothing special if you ask me. 5/10 from me.

Watched Moonlight this afternoon and thought afterwards "there's a couple of hours of my life I'm never going to get back"

I can't believe that it's been nominated for 8 oscars...for what. Hope Naomie Harris isn't nominated for one as she was only in about 6 scenes and nothing special if you ask me. 5/10 from me.

Pretty much the same as you but i thinki gave it a 6.

Silence is the worst of the Oscar season of films i have seen though.I had to switch it off.

luckyBatistuta

Pretty much the same as you but i thinki gave it a 6.

Silence is the worst of the Oscar season of films i have seen though.I had to switch it off.

I was swithering between a 5 or a 6. Silence was going to be my next watch, as I've been really looking forward to it. You've now got me a bit worried about it now.

I was swithering between a 5 or a 6. Silence was going to be my next watch, as I've been really looking forward to it. You've now got me a bit worried about it now.

I thought the acting was terrible apart from Driver and the dialogue is also poor.Nice cinematogrophy.

Rudolf's Mate

I dont watch many films nowadays so this thread is very helpful in choosing what to watch when time allows.

I use IMDB for general ratings however I always sift through here and also the recommended to series thread. As much as KB can be a pain in the arse it's generally pretty decent when it comes to pointers for the telly :lol:

Edited by Rudolf's Mate

The Girl With All The Gifts 7/10

Brit zombie flick with quite a whiff of The Last Of Us about it.Stars Gemma Arterton and Paddy Considine.

Shanks said no

Hunt for the Wilderpeople 

8/10

Finally got round to seeing it. Its all been said before, very good film and a great pick me up after a bad week at work.

Stephane Grappelli

Cromwell

Thoroughly enjoyable historical drama, 9/10.

Silence

Absolutely captivating religious epic, 10/10.

Shanks said no

T2 Trainspotting 2

9/10

No spoilers, promise. I was so looking forward to this and didn't feel let down. There are some classic scenes and at top of that list has to be the Busy Bee bit. Having just bought the soundtrack I hope Renton and Sickboy's duet is on it. Faults, yes of course it has, the constant Hibs props get very irritating, Bradley the thug can't act and dare I say it Carlyle seems to be trying too hard at times (still brilliant).

Final comment was that the packed cinema was a pain in the butt as an Edinburgh audience kept noticing things and whispering!

luckyBatistuta

Silence

Absolutely captivating religious epic, 10/10.

:turmoil:

:turmoil:

Chalk n Cheese haha same as how it looks on imdb.Honestly there was only so many torture scenes i could put up with.I also wished Driver had the bigger role.

rudi must stay

No Escape

An excellent action film that keeps your attention. Owen Wilson is superb, as is Pierce Brosnan

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

London Town

8/10

Enjoyable low budget British film that was based on the screenplay "Untitled Joe Strummer Project". Its the 70's and a 14 year old boy is about to discover the Clash and girls. As an old punk it brought back many memories. It was spoilt by his dad being Dougray Scott (but the piano scene makes up for that). Odd having actors playing the Clash but you got over it. Far fetched, very rosy 70's (not the grey depressing UK I remember) but leave the cynicism at the door and enjoy. 

rudi must stay

When Saturday Comes

1996 football movie starring Sean Bean. Awful acting and full of terrible scenes, one of the worst movies i've ever seen

2/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

" hell or high water " _ almost a modern day Western in Texas with Jeff bridges , chris pine and Ben foster . Really good film however what the **** is up with Jeff bridges voice ? He's a real mumbler now and it was hard to make him out. Apparently he changes it for these roles and it's not natural . It's ruining his performances although it kind of worked for " true grit "

Sent from my B3-A30 using Tapatalk

Hell or High Water

6/10

Agree completely with JamesM48, I did get bored midway through and tried watching it x1.5, his voice was easier to understand at that speed (few years ago I watched Shine a Light Stones documentary and the aging rockers sounded better at that speed). It felt slow but the climax was pretty good.

luckyBatistuta

Alone in Berlin...based on a true story about a German couple during WW2 whose son is killed in action and how it affects the way they feel about the Nazi party. A bit slow but still worth a watch...6.5/10

" La la land"....very good film. Very much like the old MGM musicals but as others have noted far more modern and with more gravatis. Emma Stone is a really good actress. So natural and talented. Ryan Gosling not too shady either.  The cinematography is amazing too.  

Only criticism was i felt the jazz music became quite repetitive and annoying towards the end.. 8/10 

"The Grifters"...I re-watched this classic 1991 film. Anjelica Huston, John Cusack and Annette Bening play " Grifters" (con artists) who try and con people out of money. Its a very dark tale but with brilliant performances from the leads. Bening is a right little Minx in it. !  The music is great too and its like an old fashioned 1940s film Noir especially the ending scene is almost a steal from " The Maltese Falcon" . 10/10 

La La Land

8/10

Having seen the trailer I thought this was going to be totally style and fun. But there is actually a 'serious' story about following your dream (or not) and the relationship between the characters of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.

It is a musical though it becomes mostly jazz pieces as part of film story.

Alright. A bit 'soppy' so not everyone's taste but worth a try.

Managed 37 seconds into the opening scene and that was me done. I HATE musicals but this one has had that much hype I thought I could force myself to watch it seeing as its had all those Oscar nominations. NAW! Cant effin stand musicals! Just cant do it.

0/10.

Managed 37 seconds into the opening scene and that was me done. I HATE musicals but this one has had that much hype I thought I could force myself to watch it seeing as its had all those Oscar nominations. NAW! Cant effin stand musicals! Just cant do it.

0/10.

Sky movies Pans Jambo, Escape to Victory has just started, the perfect antidote!!!!

Rudolf's Mate

Nocturnal Animals -  6/10

Could have been a lot higher and I thought it was going to be!

That ****ing ending has me raging! I felt it was going along quite nicely but wtf. When I saw people saying 'the ending' I was expecting something major to happen.

Shanks said no

Ordinary world

2/10

As it was billed as "an aging punk rocker copes with life after rock", I thought I would like. Wrong. The punk was an American idiot in the mould of Green Day. Absolute garbage.

Loving 9/10

The summary is all you need. Sensitive story of couple (Loving is their name) going through trials of 'illegal' inter racial marriage in 50s and 60s.

True story

It was the sister I think.

Rudolf's Mate

Lego Batman The Movie - 1/10

Obviously took the kids but it was brutal! My daughter thought it was terrible but my son liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carl Fredrickson

Cider House Rules. 

I loved the book by John Irving, thought it was a hard emotion read.

The film however fails to deliver (I find this a lot with adaptions of Irving books)

Michael Cain and Toby Maguire are the two lead characters in the story of a boy raised in an orphanage (Maguire) who is groomed by the old doctor who does deliveries and terminations, to replace him. 

The film failed to capture the angst and turmoil that Maguires character goes through, though they did at least show him going to work in an orchard......

3/10

Rudolf's Mate

Bleed for This - 8/10

Very good film. Absolutely incredible what he did and plenty of lol moments in the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Manchester By the Sea 9/10

I found this to be a brilliant film. It only loses a mark because it actually ended.

All the talk has been about Casey Affleck. And he is very very good. But he fits in with the rest of the characters and the story seamlessly. It's also more real as in actually like life at least it was for me.

There is a major incident that is in the background of the story. I knew there was something but had misread what it was. Comes almost mid way in and it's a shock.

Michelle Williams is also given good reviews (and Oscar nominated) but meh. Fans should note that though it's said she's in the film just over 5 minutes it seems like less.

The story develops and despite the shocking background it's actually a feel good movie.

But anyway great film.

Christine - not the one about a murderous red Plymouth Fury but based on the real life story of a Florida news reporter who committed suicide live on TV. A genuine and sympathetic study of depression with some very good performances. 8/10

Carl Fredrickson

Founder

The story of Ray Kroc who is the guy that met the McDonald brothers and was so impressed with their fast food service that he helped turn the firm into a global franchise. 

Dont want to say too much about it as it might spoil it for others. 

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected 

8/10

Founder

The story of Ray Kroc who is the guy that met the McDonald brothers and was so impressed with their fast food service that he helped turn the firm into a global franchise.

Dont want to say too much about it as it might spoil it for others.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected

8/10

Yeah 8/10 from myself as well