The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Awwwwww **** sake man!

I swear I came on here to say it would be great if we had a thread whereby people could ask of a film was decent. The film I've just started (5 mins in) is The Shallows! Already I'm fecked off with the phone visuals on the screen when she's responding to a text!

Cheers for the heads up though [emoji1303]

5 minutes into a film and your on here.

One to give a miss then :lol:

5 minutes into a film and your on here.

One to give a miss then :lol:

Watching the trailer of it I thought it looked pretty decent :( TBH I really didn't give it long enough and, when I'm stuck for something to watch I'll probably give it another try. 

Watching the trailer of it I thought it looked pretty decent :( TBH I really didn't give it long enough and, when I'm stuck for something to watch I'll probably give it another try. 

Watch Jaws instead

Cafe Society 7/10

So 30 years ago I said I wouldn't watch any Woody Allen film. But why not.

Pleasant, visually impressive set mainly in Hollywood and also New York with bored nephew (Jesse Eisenberg) of film agent (Steve Carell) getting chance to hobnob with the rich and famous.

Basically a romantic story with Kristen Stewart surprisingly good but with side stories of Hollywood fame, family, mob and running Jewish in jokes.

I enjoyed it.

I watched it last night. It was a reasonable film. As you say beautifully filmed. The plot was a bit cliched but some good performance , particularly Ken Stott !! as the moaning head of the Jewish family. I loved his interplay with his wife , Jeannie Berlin. Great fun. 

Dagger Is Back

The Shallows

2/10

Pish - rewatch Jaws instead

Just finished watching this. Daughter wanted to see it so tagged along to see what the fuss was.

All a bit meh to be honest.

4/10 but just because I didn't fall asleep

Shanks said no

13 Hours - The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

5/10

By sheer chance I watched this on 9/11, the 4th anniversary of the climax of this docu drama. I just felt it was a bit flat, yes it portrayed the chaos around Libya at the time but I lacked empathy with the US characters, they just came across as gunho Americans getting mixed up in a fight that they didn't understand.

rudi must stay

Creed

I found bits of it dark and uncalled for in a movie, I understand that was the point but I don't think it improved the movie. Still a slick film, interestingly put together and Michael B. Jordan is definatly going places as an actor, he could have even got a nomination for this one. Stallone raises his game when he needs to here as well

8/10

rudi must stay

Grabbers

An Irish horror/comedy. A film full of the usual Irish charm, through its script and scenery. Its a nice film although it does have a few good horror scenes

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

I am hooligan

1/10

Avoid at all costs. I think it was meant to be a Green St / Clockwork Orange cross, well it failed spectacularly. Son asked after 5 minutes if this was filmed on someone's mobile phone. The fight scenes at the match were utterly unbelievable. Worst film of 2016 by a mile.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (based on the book Wild Pork and Watercress)

8/10

Film by Taika Waititi about a defiant young city kid who sent by child welfare services to live in the country with foster mother Aunt Bella and her husband. When Bella suddenly passes away and child services decide to take Ricky back to a care home, Ricky runs away into the bush with Uncle Hec in pursuit.

Very funny good feel film

8/10

Film by Taika Waititi about a defiant young city kid who sent by child welfare services to live in the country with foster mother Aunt Bella and her husband. When Bella suddenly passes away and child services decide to take Ricky back to a care home, Ricky runs away into the bush with Uncle Hec in pursuit.

Just came on here to mention this little gem. Not normally the type of film I'd watch but thought this was brilliant. Some great acting and more than a few chuckles.

8.5/10

Just came on here to mention this little gem. Not normally the type of film I'd watch but thought this was brilliant. Some great acting and more than a few chuckles.

8.5/10

Another 8.5/10 from me as well for this picture. The perfect antidote to the generic, all too predictable, insular, hell yeah, crap Hollywood seems to be churning out nowadays. Thanks to yourself and LSD Eindhoven for the heads up.

Shanks said no

What Happened, Miss Simone?

7/10

2015 biographical documentary film about Nina Simone. Interesting life story and some really good footage (some unseen before). The sequence where she sang Mississippi Goddamn after the Birmingham bombings were the stand out scenes.

7/10

2015 biographical documentary film about Nina Simone. Interesting life story and some really good footage (some unseen before). The sequence where she sang Mississippi Goddamn after the Birmingham bombings were the stand out scenes.

Very frank documentary that pulled no punches. A lot of the excerpts from her diaries were difficult to listen to.

The Nice Guys - I love Shane Black's LA stuff so I was pretty much sold on this from the start. Enjoyable noir with Gosling and Crowe in good form. 8/10

Shanks said no

A Hologram for the King

5/10

Maybe me but this was a real head scratcher, don't know if the wife and I missed something but it was just odd. Tom Hanks stars as an American in Saudi Arabia to sell to the King.

PS Part of the failings for me is that it didn't feel like Saudi, there is a scene in a car park where all the cars are crap, having spent time across the whole of North Africa and Gulf it felt wrong. So I checked out the locations and most of it was shot in Morocco (main location as Saudi) and Egypt (Hurghada) which made more sense.

8/10

Film by Taika Waititi about a defiant young city kid who sent by child welfare services to live in the country with foster mother Aunt Bella and her husband. When Bella suddenly passes away and child services decide to take Ricky back to a care home, Ricky runs away into the bush with Uncle Hec in pursuit.

Superb little film. 9/10

rudi must stay

A Bigger Splash

Style over substance I thought. Worth watching for Ralph Fiennes who makes some difficult scenes look easy

6/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Shanks said no

Remember

9/10

Old school drama without gimmicks, special effects or super heroes. A wheelchair bound old Jew sends his fellow Jewish nursing home resident on a Nazi hunt, only problem is that he is suffering from Dementia so needs instructions written for his the whole way through the journey. Its sad, funny and thought provoking with a few twists and turns along the way. Christopher Plummer plays the role brilliantly and its rare to find a film like this nowadays.

Wee tip though, go into it blind, you will enjoy it far more.

Shanks said no

Was fortunate enough to see a preview showing of the following tonight, hopefully I do it justice

I, Daniel Blake

9/10

Ken Loach returns with a stark take on current day welfare Britain. Stark is an understatement and there is a scene that almost had ultra cynical me weeping, the wife cried throughout. Story of a Geordie carpenter who enters the benefit system following a heart attack, brilliantly performed by Dave Johns. There are elements that I felt unnecessary but they were probably inserted to deaden the blows, Loach takes you through the ringer. Some will not like it and some weren't happy when it won at Cannes but as a protest / political film it hits home.

JudyJudyJudy

Was fortunate enough to see a preview showing of the following tonight, hopefully I do it justice

I, Daniel Blake

9/10

Ken Loach returns with a stark take on current day welfare Britain. Stark is an understatement and there is a scene that almost had ultra cynical me weeping, the wife cried throughout. Story of a Geordie carpenter who enters the benefit system following a heart attack, brilliantly performed by Dave Johns. There are elements that I felt unnecessary but they were probably inserted to deaden the blows, Loach takes you through the ringer. Some will not like it and some weren't happy when it won at Cannes but as a protest / political film it hits home.

I want to see this film but Ill need to be suitedbly depressed to watch it as it seems harrowing. Thank god for Ken Loachs contribution to British cinema. There was an excellent documentary about him several months ago on BBC2 which was so enlightening. A genuine hero of mine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/05/versus-life-and-films-ken-loach-documentary-review

Shanks said no

I want to see this film but Ill need to be suitedbly depressed to watch it as it seems harrowing. Thank god for Ken Loachs contribution to British cinema. There was an excellent documentary about him several months ago on BBC2 which was so enlightening. A genuine hero of mine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/05/versus-life-and-films-ken-loach-documentary-review

Have to say if I had watched it at home I would have left the room or found something to distract me. In the cinema you were stuck there as he battered many of my preconceptions. 24 hours later its still with me. Due for general release 21st October. It was previewed in NY in last couple of days so it will be interesting to see the Yanks reaction.

Anyway back to the normal stuff

Everybody Wants Some

2/10

Maybe an age thing but youngsters today should stop trying to make NL Animal House / Porkies type films as they just don't get it. Tedious story based around a group of baseball jocks about to start a new term and "partying to the max" in the run up.

Shanks said no

Rock the Kasbah

4/10

Very loosely based around the story of Setara Hussainzada, the girl who dared to sing on Afghan Star. Bill Murray stumbles around as the aging American rock manager who discovers her while trying to entertain the locals and troops. Bruce Willis is in it as a gun totting nutter. Disappointing as it could have been a good film with a different script, stars and direction!

Shanks said no

The Boy

7/10

I really should not have liked this but I did. It is the story of an American nanny who travels to the UK to look after the boy, his name is Brahms and he is a tad different. It starts off with you laughing at the story, its plain silly but it gets a bit creepy and there are a few bits that make you jump. It does fall into the trap of "don't go into the attic / basement" but one of the better horror movies I have seen in a while.

Elvis & Nixon - great leads in Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey and while it's good fun, there's not a lot of substance to it. Worth watching though. 6/10

Suicide Squad 7.5/10

Enjoyable. I actually liked Leto as the Joker apart from it making him out to be kinda lovestruck with Harley. Its always the other way around.

Monkey King 2 9/10

Follow up to the 2014 Chinese blockbuster. It tells a more familiar story to the 70s tv show of Monkey travelling with Tripitaka Pigsy and Sandy. Worth watching if you liked the tv show.

Weiner - really interesting documentary about the comically-named Anthony Weiner, who was a New York senator destined for higher office until he started sending women pictures of his, eh, weiner. The doc follows his unsuccessful attempt to become mayor of New York. Well worth watching. 8/10

The Monuments Men - great cast and story about a group of men trying to prevent works of art being destroyed by the Nazis but less than the sum of its parts. 6/10

luckyBatistuta

Homefront...probably the slowest Jason Statham film I've watched, but still enjoyed it. He's just one of these guys you either love or hate. Not one of his best, but still a decent watch...7/10.

Not watched The Mechanic yet, anybody watched it?

suicide squad - 5/10

over stylised and lacked a decent plot or proper character development. Will Smith was wrong for deadshot just for me didn't suit the role. for me they could have focused on harley quinn and diablo as they seemed like ones that they could have built the film more about. on the joker there was so much scope of wat they could do with him but basically made him a psychotic lovestruck fool. if they properly develop the character hopefully in his own film i think we could see the best representation of the joker.

7/10

Must watch this too

...a bit disco

Phantasm:Ravager (2016)

3rd rate horror with a shite script, wooden acting and terrible dialogue.

Loved it.

A perfect ending to the series that began 37 years ago.

9.5/10

Shanks said no

The Guv'nor

8/10

Decent documentary about Lenny McLean, narrated by his son Jamie. Highlight was seeing his fight v Mad Gypsy Bradshaw which sets the tone for the whole film. The film takes a few turns you don't expect and is worth a watch.

Shanks said no

Mother's Day

6/10

Very predictable ladies film starring Jennifer Aniston,  Kate Hudson and Julia Roberts amongst others. Harmless stuff about the trials and tribulations of various mothers, my wife enjoyed it.