Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I had a chip in the garden yesterday.  First hits in about 7 months.   Christ it was hard going to get club on ball.    Dobbed a few a few feet.    If I had been holding a pneumatic drill instead of a wedge it wouldn't have felt much different.   

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Victorian

• Irufushi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo
32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's the one. The Feddinch Club

http://feddinchstandrews.com/the-course/

Cheers for that.

Aye that was carved out years and years ago, we pass it each time we go up to St Andrews from Largo.  It never looked like it was going to open so maybe the plan was to do the basics and sell on.  Must ask a mate of mine who works for the St Andrews Links Trust he will have the latest gossip.

Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Cheers for that.

Aye that was carved out years and years ago, we pass it each time we go up to St Andrews from Largo.  It never looked like it was going to open so maybe the plan was to do the basics and sell on.  Must ask a mate of mine who works for the St Andrews Links Trust he will have the latest gossip.

Another wee article from during the week on it. 👍 

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/unfinished-st-andrews-course-goes-up-for-sale

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It'll definitely be accuracy first before power. I reckon if I can hit it 250-280 yrds with a driver, I'd be doing good. 

You might want to reign in your expectations, that's single figure handicap level of driving :lol:

hmfc_liam06

SGU refunding clubs fees for the year. 

Somehow I don't think this would have come about if it weren't for the pasting they were taking in the media.

53 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Somehow I don't think this would have come about if it weren't for the pasting they were taking in the media.

Generous of them :huh:

Considering the new handicapping situation has the potential to cost struggling clubs thousands on new software.

They just want to control everything - centralised booking system etc!!

John mcCartney
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You might want to reign in your expectations, that's single figure handicap level of driving :lol:

😀

joondalupjambo
11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Another wee article from during the week on it. 👍 

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/unfinished-st-andrews-course-goes-up-for-sale

When the idea first started it seemed to be a couple of guys, a Range Rover, a couple of JCB's and a big truck :pleased:   In all these years it never looked like they really were driving the project and that it just looked like the farmer sold some land to a few DIY guys.  I always thought it was a vision too far and with it not being a course it would flounder.  It was probably going to have to compete with The Dukes in terms of a local St Andrews inland course and it just never looked the part.   As I say will try and see if I can some local inside gossip on it.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

When the idea first started it seemed to be a couple of guys, a Range Rover, a couple of JCB's and a big truck :pleased:   In all these years it never looked like they really were driving the project and that it just looked like the farmer sold some land to a few DIY guys.  I always thought it was a vision too far and with it not being a course it would flounder.  It was probably going to have to compete with The Dukes in terms of a local St Andrews inland course and it just never looked the part.   As I say will try and see if I can some local inside gossip on it.

There's also the GWest Club up by Gleneagles which is a strange one. Course finished and maintained but hardly played on. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18342799.mystery-west-resort-scotlands-ghost-golf-course/

On 26/04/2020 at 19:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

Liam, 

Wee update

They are refunding 25% this year, and offering payment plans for next year.

Not quite the generous offer it first seemed., surprise surprise

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Liam, 

Wee update

They are refunding 25% this year, and offering payment plans for next year.

Not quite the generous offer it first seemed., surprise surprise

Yeah and turns out we haven't actually paid yet :lol:

25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah and turns out we haven't actually paid yet :lol:

The whole set up is a shambles , needs cleared out from top to bottom.

Kinda reminds me of the SPFL board😂

Leaked report about new rules when golf resumes. Couple of standouts. 

Penalty for touching the flagstick. 

Players to play from different tees. 

Players to mark their own cards. 

Rakes to be removed. Preffered lies in bunkers may be allowed. 

2 balls only. 

Must pick up your own tee. Even if broken. 

hmfc_liam06

The idea of taking a photo of your scorecard and submitting it to the match secretary is a good idea. There's going to have to be contactless competitions, this is a good way around that.

Some of that goes a big too far.    No need for separate tee areas ffs.    That's nonsense.    Arrive ready to play?    Nut.   All my clubs and shoes are in my locker.    Most members' clubs are.   High sitting hole liners?   No.    Just do away with pins altogether.    

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some of that goes a big too far.    No need for separate tee areas ffs.    That's nonsense.    Arrive ready to play?    Nut.   All my clubs and shoes are in my locker.    Most members' clubs are.   High sitting hole liners?   No.    Just do away with pins altogether.    

Can't see the issue with arriving ready to play. Folk have already been told to have your lockers emptied as locker rooms are out of bounds to golfers.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can't see the issue with arriving ready to play. Folk have already been told to have your lockers emptied as locker rooms are out of bounds to golfers.

When?    Our clubhouse has been closed since lockdown.     

We have hundreds of lockers and the majority of playing members have them.    I have two sets of irons in my locker.     I have tons of other clubs right enough but what's the problem about letting people be sensible and access the lockers?

hmfc_liam06
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

When?    Our clubhouse has been closed since lockdown.     

Pre lockdown, there was a directive to close off areas such as locker rooms. Going by that document, this will still be the case once the courses have been re-opened.

Don't see what the problem is put your clubs in the car and getting yourself ready in the car park before heading to the first tee. Things won't just suddenly be returning to normal.

Edited by hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pre lockdown, there was a directive to close off areas such as locker rooms. Going by that document, this will still be the case once the courses have been re-opened.

Don't see what the problem is put your clubs in the car and getting yourself ready in the car park before heading to the first tee. Things won't just suddenly be returning to normal.

Great for anyone who got a chance to get their clubs.   I have some old clubs but all my shoes are in the locker.    Other members will be the same.   What about people who don't drive?

I saw a similar set of proposals to this from Wales but that one mentioned that clubhouses would be open for toilets and wash basins.    I think it will be entirely possible to allow clubhouse access if sensible distancing is in place.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was having a little chat with my Dad about how Killin is doing, as he's Captain there. Funnily enough, things like this came up.

Club's had a £10k grant. The greenskeeper on furlough, the rent deferred until next year, donations from local community, raffles etc.

So luckily, they seem to be able to come out of all this relatively financially well. And they're not a "big" club by any means. Just have been run well in the past by the various Committees.

The Clubhouse will remain closed, as it's a small area, and with 20 odd Seniors in there, it will be too difficult to maintain standards. They've two sets of tees for the 9 holes, so that could be done, if the authorities deem it. He did say access could be given to the toilet/locker room if need kit. But, it hardly gets used as there's about 10 in there and everyone that I know of, has their own at home. 

Phoning up for tee-times might now be in place for a while. Something that you never had to do. The lay-out of the place, means it'll be quite easy to accommodate any distancing measures on the course itself too. 

He can't play even if he wanted to, as my Mum's on house arrest for the foreseeable future due to Covid-19. Other stuff Club-wise should keep him occupied though, as it's done since all this.

Edited by Barack
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Interesting that they've had the 10k. We've applied and heard nothing as of yet.

What's yours again?

Killin's a cracking course.    Love that last hole.    Not so much the par 3 with the wall across the green.    

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Killin's a cracking course.    Love that last hole.    Not so much the par 3 with the wall across the green.    

You know what...**** me, I'm thick. Not paying attention to what I'm writing as I'm preparing food. :lol:

My Dad is Captain of St. Fillan's. He was also Captain at Killin for two years as well. Incidentally, they are on their arse by all accounts. Loads of issues. A lot of bitchy infighting and cliques up there. The anti-St.Fillan's.

But I agree with you on the 9th, aye. I actually really like the wall hole though. :lol:

So yes, for clarity. It's St. Fillan's I'm on about. 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

You know what...**** me, I'm thick. Not paying attention to what I'm writing as I'm preparing food. :lol:

My Dad is Captain of St. Fillan's. He was also Captain at Killin for two years as well. Incidentally, they are on their arse by all accounts. Loads of issues. A lot of bitchy infighting and cliques up there. The anti-St.Fillan's.

But I agree with you on the 9th, aye. I actually really like the wall hole though. :lol:

So yes, for clarity. It's St. Fillan's I'm on about. 👍🏻

:D  pity about Killin.    One of Scotland's little gem courses.    Not even my favourite 9 holer though.    Blairgowrie (wee) is the very best.

Just now, Victorian said:

:D  pity about Killin.    One of Scotland's little gem courses.    Not even my favourite 9 holer though.    Blairgowrie (wee) is the very best.

St. Fillan's has recently been awarded Scotland's Best 9 Hole Course. 👍🏻

Dad had a lovely all expenses paid night out at St. Andrew's recently for the award ceremony.

Hosted by David Tanner.😐

Just now, Barack said:

St. Fillan's has recently been awarded Scotland's Best 9 Hole Course. 👍🏻

Dad had a lovely all expenses paid night out at St. Andrew's recently for the award ceremony.

Hosted by David Tanner.😐

Haven't played it but I will now.    It would have to be good to rival Blairgowrie though.     

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Haven't played it but I will now.    It would have to be good to rival Blairgowrie though.     

I'm no lyin'...😁

See:

Seen Sandy up there practising the last time I was up. Nice guy.

Screenshot_20200429-135312_Chrome.jpg

20200429_135338.jpg

Nick Dougherty and SKY dropped in last year. He was doing whatever that TV show he does? Then he buggered off to Gleneagles afterwards.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Do away with pins? How the feck are you meant to know where the hole is when you're playing to the green? 

High sitting hole liners makes total sense rather than dipping your hand in a communal hole. 

As for your clubs, surely you can be allowed in to collect them and then take them home with you. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Had a quick images search.   Looks very nice.    

Yeah, picturesque wee place. A player of your level, could tear it up in all honesty.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Do away with pins? How the feck are you meant to know where the hole is when you're playing to the green? 

High sitting hole liners makes total sense rather than dipping your hand in a communal hole. 

As for your clubs, surely you can be allowed in to collect them and then take them home with you. 

How much do you really need the pin?    In reality?    In normal times fair enough but the initial golf playing is just going to be social games.    Just aim for the centre of the green and if you find the centre you wont be far away.

No access to the club.   I'm sure it's not the only one.

11 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, picturesque wee place. A player of your level, could tear it up in all honesty.

It looks the sort of course that players of most levels could go mad on.    Generally a course of short length usually contains other degrees of difficulty.   Maybe large or slopey greens or punitive rough in areas or other trickiness.    Blairgowrie is even shorter but it's par 3s all have difficulty.    3 of the par 4s are tight,  tricky dog-legs.    It can often have pacey greens with quite a few slopes in places.    

Edited by Victorian
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How much do you really need the pin?    In reality?    In normal times fair enough but the initial golf playing is just going to be social games.    Just aim for the centre of the green and if you find the centre you wont be far away.

No access to the club.   I'm sure it's not the only one.

I would imagine your club would allow you limited access to get your clubs on the first occasion. 

Just now, Notts1874 said:

I would imagine your club would allow you limited access to get your clubs on the first occasion. 

Hope so.   I need the shoes more than the clubs.    Need my driver as well.    

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It looks the sort of course that players of most levels could go mad on.    Generally a course of short length usually contains other degrees of difficulty.   Maybe large or slopey greens or punitive rough in areas or other trickiness.    Blairgowrie is even shorter but it's par 3s all have difficulty.    3 of the par 4s are tight,  tricky dog-legs.    It can often have pacey greens with quite a few slopes in places.    

If Vijay Singh, Nick & Sandy can play it...yeah, that's a fair assessment. Even I have managed some decent rounds on it. Suits me, as it's not too tight mostly. 

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Hope so.   I need the shoes more than the clubs.    Need my driver as well.    

The temporary measures will need to be strict to make sure they get government approval. 

Just now, Barack said:

If Vijay Singh, Nick & Sandy can play it...yeah, that's a fair assessment. Even I have managed some decent rounds on it. Suits me, as it's not too tight mostly. 

Of course.   A course of 5500 yard length comes in the domain of everyone.    If they're playing well,   get on a charge and hole putts then they'll score well.     These kind of courses are brilliant for adding enjoyment to the game.     

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

The best idea I have heard regarding pins is from a few clubs down south who've cut the in play hole 4 feet to the left of every pin. 

From the clubs I'm a member of, they issued an email advising of a window period to collect belongings from a locker. If any members couldn't make it, all they had to do was request a time and date to gain access to the club to gather things. 

The two tee thing seems unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The best idea I have heard regarding pins is from a few clubs down south who've cut the in play hole 4 feet to the left of every pin. 

From the clubs I'm a member of, they issued an email advising of a window period to collect belongings from a locker. If any members couldn't make it, all they had to do was request a time and date to gain access to the club to gather things. 

The two tee thing seems unnecessary. 

Never thought of the now obvious solution.    A spiked pin placed in the ground near the hole.   Lift and place the ball away if it impedes the shot.    No need to cut two holes.    

3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

The violence on the courses just now is fecking brutal.
Thats a reason to open again,surely.

Crossed my mind that.    I reckon the course infestations will be difficult to push back once golfers get to be on the golf courses too.