Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Yep.
Hoping that all the pitchmarks have had some attention/grown back etc.
Was brutal there last time I visited.

I thought they'd have opted for a hybrid course if only one is being played. Unless they intend to rotate between the two until visitor bookings can be resumed. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola

Should anyone be looking for any clothing or shoes for the season, you can get 30% off at Nike webpage by applying code NIKE30. 👍 

Was expecting a poor show today but to buck the trend of the 2nd game back being worse than the 1st,   a 4 over par 73.   33 holes played in +10 with no doubles.   Admittedly it's front tees and there's a bit of fire in the fairways.

hmfc_liam06

Well out of nowhere I just broke my personal best today. Carded a 76 net 61.

Just one of those days where for the most part I was hitting fairways and greens. The +8 score included a triple and double. 

Buzzing tonight. Will no doubt be brought back to earth after tomorrow round :lol:

The Mighty Thor

Played again today. Really enjoyable even with a wee north sea haar rolling in and out. 

Played well tee to green but **** me my putting is shan. 

I can understand not getting the pace but a lot of my putts today would have got this reaction. 

law-22-wide-ball-750px.jpg

Screenshot-20200530-175155.jpg

Took me two rounds to get a birdie. First round was horrible, 2nd was a personal best, including this finish.

12 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Do you get a sensor for each club.

Was looking at on Amazon. Didn't seem clear.

Aye I got the sensors you screw in the top of the club. You can buy the grips with them built-in for a wee bit extra. Or new clubs from Cobra and maybe Titelist are having them installed as standard.

It works quite well actually, however... you need to keep your phone in your front pocket or alternatively have a smart watch.

I also need to correct the putts each hole. But we have to lift a wee lever on the flag to pick our ball out the hole, so I'm thinking that registers a putt.

I wasnt convinced when I bought it but I love stats and have had an enjoyable experience so far.

I take it, no-one is holing out, as it must be a good spot to pass on Covid19. No? 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I take it, no-one is holing out, as it must be a good spot to pass on Covid19. No? 

We can hole out but there's a device in the hole which lifts your ball out. You use your putter head to lift it and your ball pops out.

Not that many went anywhere near the hole yesterday. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Gimmie's are encouraged, longer putts can be holed out. The cups have been inverted so only 75% of the ball is below the surface. Posters/signage in the carpark and 1st tee concourse instructing players not to play if they have any Cv-19 symptoms.

No had a game yet?

hmfc_liam06

We've got foam inserts in the cups. 3 rounds and I've yet to touch a flag. It's not difficult. 

Played last night for the first time. 3 birdies and played to about 5 or 6 over. Hit the ball really well off the tee but could of holes it was so easy to rack up a double bogey from nothing.. I hope it's better when I play this evening. 

Sooperstar
22 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Should anyone be looking for any clothing or shoes for the season, you can get 30% off at Nike webpage by applying code NIKE30. 👍 

Thanks, just saved 40 quid on things I wasn't going to buy.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Thanks, just saved 40 quid on things I wasn't going to buy.

😄👍

hmfc_liam06

4th 18 holes in and my game is looking great. Cant wait for our season to start...and I can get  back to hacking it about :lol:

A wee beauty from today...

Screenshot_20200601-150219_Shot Scope.jpg

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

4th 18 holes in and my game is looking great. Cant wait for our season to start...and I can get  back to hacking it about :lol:

Show us a crap hole, double bogey or worse, gie us a laugh... 🤣

Managed 1 birdie and 3 pars at Pumpherston today,weather great,course great,my golf could be better though,lost 3 balls.

Just now, weegranty said:

Managed 1 birdie and 3 pars at Pumpherston today,weather great,course great,my golf could be better though,lost 3 balls.

Only 3 well played haha

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

Hey guys,  could you take literally 1 minute to complete my friends sons SurveyMonkey for a school project on Caffeine?  I'm asking in here as this thread is the most sensible on Kickback! 

Thanks 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RWKQDDG

Done👍

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What do you use to get your data? Is it a club attachment? Also, I assume the yardage in the smaller text is the remaing distance to the the hole? 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What do you use to get your data? Is it a club attachment? Also, I assume the yardage in the smaller text is the remaing distance to the the hole? 

I use the Shot Scope GPS watch. Wasn't that fussed for the performance tracking but it was only £120 and big standard Garmin watches are around that so thought why not.

Yeah remaining distance 👍

hmfc_liam06
6 hours ago, OBE said:

Show us a crap hole, double bogey or worse, gie us a laugh... 🤣

Your wish is my command. My first round of lockdown.

Topped driver followed by 3 topped hybrids 😂

20200601_234056.jpg

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Your wish is my command. My first round of lockdown.

Topped driver followed by 3 topped hybrids 😂

20200601_234056.jpg

What a welcome back, I'm assuming you got it fixed fairly quickly? 

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I use the Shot Scope GPS watch. Wasn't that fussed for the performance tracking but it was only £120 and big standard Garmin watches are around that so thought why not.

Yeah remaining distance 👍

Cheers. I assume you need to press a button at each shot for the GPS to register the location? Also, register the hole location once you hoke out for an accurate tee to hole distance to be noted? 

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Always forget what course you are at

@hmfc_liam06

I'm at Lochgelly mate. Course is playing really well just now, even better once we get the greens quickened.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, OBE said:

What a welcome back, I'm assuming you got it fixed fairly quickly? 

Ropey second hole too but started playing from the 3rd. The usual, trying to hammer it 200mph. No rhythm whatsoever.

hmfc_liam06
31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. I assume you need to press a button at each shot for the GPS to register the location? Also, register the hole location once you hoke out for an accurate tee to hole distance to be noted? 

For each shot, nope just strap the watch on and play. Watch is quite big but it's light, I don't notice it.

You do need to mark the pin position, but even if you forget, it's easy added post round.

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

For each shot, nope just strap the watch on and play. Watch is quite big but it's light, I don't notice it.

You do need to mark the pin position, but even if you forget, it's easy added post round.

Are there tags on each grip for the watch to register what club is in use? Sounds like a nifty bit of kit. 👍 

hmfc_liam06
27 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Are there tags on each grip for the watch to register what club is in use? Sounds like a nifty bit of kit. 👍 

Yeah wee screw in tags.

It's good. I use it mostly to see distance of each club but there's tons of stats in there if you really wanted to focus on an area to improve. I figure I use a GPS watch anyway so I'm as well having all this stuff too if it's the same cost.

Shot a 74 around Gullane Number 1 last night. Eagled the 12th to go 1 under then immediately double bogie 13th.  Jeeze. Also bogied the last to upset myself.  Still some work needed on the chipping and distance control from 20yrds in. Not getting up and down in 2 enough. 

My driving was much improved in my 2nd round back after lockdown. After pushing all of my drives right on Friday evening, I tried simply moving the ball forward an inch in my stance and it seemed to do the job. Only got to use the driver five times over the 9 holes: 295, 265, 285, 270, 280, all down the fairway or just catching the first cut.

My irons though. **** me. :( Disaster.

Everybody Loves Baz!

What a difference 5 days makes.

86 Friday

76 today.

Go figure?? Although be far more consistent off Tee helped massively. And birdieing 3 of the last 5 helped too.

Start at the 3rd at Broomieknowe for social distancing purposes now which makes you play the relatively easier holes at the end of your round.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Battering down in Edinburgh SW.    Imagine this evening was your first chance at a game.

:seething:

Courses need it. 

Dunbar's fairways were getting really yellow and were running very fast especially for late May. 

We've had no real rain for weeks. 

The Gorgie

Played 9 holes at Melville yesterday and today. Was great to be back playing. My putting is absolutely disgusting, slightly better today but still pretty shit overall.

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Played 9 holes at Melville yesterday and today. Was great to be back playing. My putting is absolutely disgusting, slightly better today but still pretty shit overall.

Do you think a name increase soon?

Mr 4 Putt to begin with.

Eventually Ernie Els.

The Gorgie
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mr 4 Putt to begin with.

Eventually Ernie Els.

😂 it has crossed my mind.

John mcCartney
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Mr 4 Putt to begin with.

Eventually Ernie Els.

incredible stuff..................

Tommy Brown
19 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

incredible stuff..................

Must be remembered that it was a 7-putt. Previous putt not shown.

Much improved today. 4 under handicap through 9. :) 

Mid irons still pretty awful but my driving, chipping and putting were solid. Think the rain last night to soften the course up a wee bit helped.

hmfc_liam06

5th round post-lockdown played this evening and my golf is in absolutely tremendous shape.

Roll on the 0.1 in the first comp....

Samuel Camazzola

I'm looking to sample Dumbarnie Links within the next week. All the footage from the last few days looks superb and I reckon it's a good time to play it before it gets busy with folk travelling from all over to play it. 

Anyone played it yet? 

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm looking to sample Dumbarnie Links within the next week. All the footage from the last few days looks superb and I reckon it's a good time to play it before it gets busy with folk travelling from all over to play it. 

Anyone played it yet? 

Not played it but I'm thinking the same as you. Think the next really nice day I may just go play it. Looks like there's always times available a day or two in advance.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not played it but I'm thinking the same as you. Think the next really nice day I may just go play it. Looks like there's always times available a day or two in advance.

Yeah, I reckon I could get around in a 2 ball in 3 - 3.5 hours. 

Availability is looking steady each day but I thought they'd try to entice more play for the locals by dropping the green fee a little more. I'm content to pay what they are asking as I could squander the cash on other nonsense.