Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Victorian
3 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Was there not a discussion about a smaller circle being painted (about 2-3 inches) around the cup and the ball had to stay within that to count as it being holed?

So to stop folk rattling their ball straight at the risen sleeve.

Or am I imagining it?

Could be.   All seems way too contrived.    I reckon a normally cut hole sitting quite high and no pin is the way to go.    It's just a temporary thing for social games anyway.    There is no desperate need to have a pin in the hole.     It's not life and death.    

To be quite honest,   there's no absolute need to have a hole at all.    Just have an circle marked.    Putt to within in - single putt.    Putt to outside it - a 2putt.    Max 2putt.    Move on.     People just want out for a hit and some exercise.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everybody Loves Baz!
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Could be.   All seems way too contrived.    I reckon a normally cut hole sitting quite high and no pin is the way to go.    It's just a temporary thing for social games anyway.    There is no desperate need to have a pin in the hole.     It's not life and death.    

To be quite honest,   there's no absolute need to have a hole at all.    Just have an circle marked.    Putt to within in - single putt.    Putt to outside it - a 2putt.    Max 2putt.    Move on.     People just want out for a hit and some exercise.

Correct mate. All our members were sent an email yesterday by the Captain to as folk to stop booking times as the system wasn't live yet.

I sent a reply asking about the same people block booking their favourite tee times (as this happens the now with being able to book 8 days in advance)

He's thinking about asking folk to book everyday for the next day and so forth. They'll also be monitoring members going out in their usual groups (inner club sections) and not being able to block 10 tee times in a row, and your not allowed to book a partner in either, they have to do it themselves.

Must be close to getting the green light if all this is going on in the background surely?

Victorian
7 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Correct mate. All our members were sent an email yesterday by the Captain to as folk to stop booking times as the system wasn't live yet.

I sent a reply asking about the same people block booking their favourite tee times (as this happens the now with being able to book 8 days in advance)

He's thinking about asking folk to book everyday for the next day and so forth. They'll also be monitoring members going out in their usual groups (inner club sections) and not being able to block 10 tee times in a row, and your not allowed to book a partner in either, they have to do it themselves.

Must be close to getting the green light if all this is going on in the background surely?

Not sure.   There's been chat about early this month but it all depends on if it's a permitted journey to the course.    

Edited by Victorian

Everybody Loves Baz!
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not sure.   There's been chat about early this month but it all depends on if it's a permitted journey to the course.    

I've got a battery trolley so I'll walk the 4 mile to the course if I have too.

But I better no see a fecking car in the car park if it's only Local Members allowed on the course lol.

Victorian
Just now, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

I've got a battery trolley so I'll walk the 4 mile to the course if I have too.

But I better no see a fecking car in the car park if it's only Local Members allowed on the course lol.

Not sure how this will feed in to the plans.    It's not good optics to start allowing golfers to jaunt around for golf while other stuff is still restricted.     Could be a problem.     

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Springy holes. Once the ball hits a sensor in the bottom of the cup it springs up and launches your ball back out. :D

Or like the crazy golf, it runs down a pipe and out at the edge.

It will make greenkeepers pretty busy cutting and laying all the undergreen pipes.

You can only one hole per green.

Maybe a bad idea.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

I sympathise.    The chip shot,   especially the more delicate type of chip shot,   tends to be the sort of shot that can cause uncertainty / jitters.     Having confidence or imagining how the clubhead will react with the lie is important.    It's very easy to convince yourself that your lie is worse than it is,   or that the lie prevents a gentle chip.    There's always a fine line between decelerating at the strike and being too quick with it.     It really is very important to practice and ingrain a chipping action and also to take the time to have 3 or 4 practice swings near to your shot.    I'm guilty of neglecting both.

Harrington's daily stuff has been good. 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not sure how this will feed in to the plans.    It's not good optics to start allowing golfers to jaunt around for golf while other stuff is still restricted.     Could be a problem.     

The peltons of cyclists I see have been taking the piss. 

Victorian
6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Harrington's daily stuff has been good. 

The peltons of cyclists I see have been taking the piss. 

That was really good.    Looks like a good structure to really challenge yourself and keep you trying to achieve the result.    Good advice to chip out of poorer lies as well.     

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

That was really good.    Looks like a good structure to really challenge yourself and keep you trying to achieve the result.    Good advice to chip out of poorer lies as well.     

He puts up daily content covering a lot of aspects broken down into simple steps. Well worth a look. 

His garden is something else too. No expense spared!

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

According to Ian Carter we could be looking at an 11th May return.

Oh please. 

The Mighty Thor
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

There's one kicking about on twitter where he goes for the full blooded flop shot and knifes it straight into his house 😂

On 01/05/2020 at 22:50, hmfc_liam06 said:

According to Ian Carter we could be looking at an 11th May return.

Sounds like the lockdown will be extended until the end of May. Looks like start of June earliest we will be on the course.

Victorian

I think golf bodies were working towards a May 11 return but maybe now countermanded by the wider lockdown going to May 28 by the looks of it.

I suppose while us golf club members have to wait 3 and a half weeks to be on our courses,   they'll just have to be occupied by other people.

2 hours ago, Mort said:

Sounds like the lockdown will be extended until the end of May. Looks like start of June earliest we will be on the course.

Gutted. :(

I’m in the process of joining Duddingston and looking to begin my membership on 1 June. Looks like May 11th might have been wishful thinking. I’m hoping not.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Mort said:

Yip, shite!

Victorian

Looks like our members will get a chance to retrieve our clubs (shoes) in advance of the time when we can get back on the course.    Looks like they're proceeding on the basis of the clubhouse remaining fully closed when golf starts.       

A friend of mine plays out of the burgess and mentioned that they may limit play to 9 holes only and that they have been trialling a temporary booking system. Monday may still be the day we’re allowed to play.

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

A friend of mine plays out of the burgess and mentioned that they may limit play to 9 holes only and that they have been trialling a temporary booking system. Monday may still be the day we’re allowed to play.

Fingers crossed. It’s one thing I think can be safely implemented as a form of exercise/wellbeing during the lockdown. 

Victorian

Lockdown remains but changes to it are permitted before the next review.   We could be golfing at short notice.

14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And just like that, Sturgeon extends lockdown.

But with possible changes regarding exercise and being outdoors. Could hopefully include being allowed to play golf? 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

But with possible changes regarding exercise and being outdoors. Could hopefully include being allowed to play golf? 

I've been back and forth between getting excited then having a crushing let down.

I'm going to maintain the "we're not getting golf any time soon" mindset.

Can't deal with the heartbreak :lol:

The Mighty Thor

Dempster of the EEN chuntering on about one round a week and single golfers amongst other OTT risk averse pish. 

We played the last weekend before lockdown with no clubhouse, no rakes bins etc holes upside down. No problems at all. We kept our usual 30-200 yard social distancing apart from the tees. 

It's not fecking difficult, is it?

Victorian
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Dempster of the EEN chuntering on about one round a week and single golfers amongst other OTT risk averse pish. 

We played the last weekend before lockdown with no clubhouse, no rakes bins etc holes upside down. No problems at all. We kept our usual 30-200 yard social distancing apart from the tees. 

It's not fecking difficult, is it?

Playing alone or in twos is ridiculous.    There's no reason why it can't be threes or even fours.    10 minute intervals is another nonsense.    It makes no difference.     

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Playing alone or in twos is ridiculous.    There's no reason why it can't be threes or even fours.    10 minute intervals is another nonsense.    It makes no difference.     

Agreed.

It's been said many times. I'm more at risk surrounded by the arseholes in ASDA than I am on the links at Dunbar. 

Victorian
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Agreed.

It's been said many times. I'm more at risk surrounded by the arseholes in ASDA than I am on the links at Dunbar. 

God knows when we'll get the go-ahead.    I think golf is a problem for the optics of the wider message.    There's bound to be complaints about a bunch of golfers getting to travel around and participate in their hobby while other people can't do their things.     

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

God knows when we'll get the go-ahead.    I think golf is a problem for the optics of the wider message.    There's bound to be complaints about a bunch of golfers getting to travel around and participate in their hobby while other people can't do their things.     

Cyclists can already do this.

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

It clearly makes a difference.

Shorter times and larger groups = more chance of backing up on tees. Plus it's more folk on the course at one time, more folk in the car park, more folk in the shop.

I know we all want golf but saying it makes no difference is well wide of the mark.

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It clearly makes a difference.

Shorter times and larger groups = more chance of backing up on tees. Plus it's more folk on the course at one time, more folk in the car park, more folk in the shop.

I know we all want golf but saying it makes no difference is well wide of the mark.

None of those things are insurmountable. 

We had members only, online booking, no clubhouse or proshop. A pro ranging in a buggy. Gimmes inside a putter length. Played in 4s and it all horsed on just fine. 

Like I say it's ok to queue for 2 hours at B&Q but not ok to be in a field 200 yards ahead of the next group. It's plain nonsense. 

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

None of those things are insurmountable. 

We had members only, online booking, no clubhouse or proshop. A pro ranging in a buggy. Gimmes inside a putter length. Played in 4s and it all horsed on just fine. 

Like I say it's ok to queue for 2 hours at B&Q but not ok to be in a field 200 yards ahead of the next group. It's plain nonsense. 

It just depends on the course you play of course, and if I remember rightly Victorian plays at Leven. Notorious for delays, 5+ hour rounds, tee congregating - a recipe for breaking social distancing. Fourballs and standard tee times (Dunnikier in Kirkcaldy is 6 minutes btw, so try not bunching up there!) just isn't an ideal catch all solution.

And golfers aren't immune from not taking the piss either. Give an inch and some will take a mile. At least doing twoballs limits the chances and that's what its all about for me.

It's all well and good talking abut B&Q etc but two wrongs and all...

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It just depends on the course you play of course, and if I remember rightly Victorian plays at Leven. Notorious for delays, 5+ hour rounds, tee congregating - a recipe for breaking social distancing. Fourballs and standard tee times (Dunnikier in Kirkcaldy is 6 minutes btw, so try not bunching up there!) just isn't an ideal catch all solution.

And golfers aren't immune from not taking the piss either. Give an inch and some will take a mile. At least doing twoballs limits the chances and that's what its all about for me.

It's all well and good talking abut B&Q etc but two wrongs and all...

I imagine, Liam, we are pretty much talking social golf only at first.

Competitions will be held off initially?

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I imagine, Liam, we are pretty much talking social golf only at first.

Competitions will be held off initially?

I think they'll be discouraged but not banned. Being honest, we (my club) need competition back as soon as.

Tommy Brown
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think they'll be discouraged but not banned. Being honest, we (my club) need competition back as soon as.

Have you discussed competitions?

Thinking hole liners, flags, card signing. Speed of play. Bunker rakes.

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Have you discussed competitions?

Thinking hole liners, flags, card signing. Speed of play. Bunker rakes.

We haven't discussed it yet but we'll likely be following those R&A guidelines. Having an online meeting Monday, I'm sure it'll come up.

Just had an email from my club saying they expect to hear this weekend from the government about when they are likely to be allowed to reopen.

Tommy Brown
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Just had an email from my club saying they expect to hear this weekend from the government about when they are likely to be allowed to reopen.

Just got the opposite

You will hopefully be aware of the latest update from the First Minister earlier today that Scotland will continue with the lockdown for another 3 weeks with the caveat that this will be reviewed daily.

This decision contradicts much of the comments and information that there has been recently in the Press and on Social Media with potential scenarios of when golf will resume and in what form. 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Zero expectation for Monday but from the 18th would be nice.

The day after Rory McIlroy’s charity match. We’ll all be chomping at the bit!

Scottish Golf reporting that some Scottish clubs are advising an imminent return to members in line with UK government measures and contrary to Scottish government measures.    

Just stupid/ignorant or underlying issues with the Scottish government?

It’s going to be interesting to see how golf pans out. Having read a lot of comments on twitter, the general view of golf seems poor. Although maybe I shouldn’t take twitter views as a general outlook! Cycling and running are fine and considered essential exercise but golf isn’t. Strange. Especially when you look at the reports of the breathing trail you can leave while running and cycling.