Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

41 minutes ago, Mort said:

It’s going to be interesting to see how golf pans out. Having read a lot of comments on twitter, the general view of golf seems poor. Although maybe I shouldn’t take twitter views as a general outlook! Cycling and running are fine and considered essential exercise but golf isn’t. Strange. Especially when you look at the reports of the breathing trail you can leave while running and cycling. 

The negative general view on golf will be by those picnicking on pristine putting surfaces. What worries me is if golf opens up first, this could encourage envy and more damage from the mongrels.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

The negative general view on golf will be by those picnicking on pristine putting surfaces. What worries me is if golf opens up first, this could encourage envy and more damage from the mongrels.

As I said previously,   it's not going to be that easy to roll back the new golf course wildlife.    Perceived territory.    Lots of people becoming experts in the freedom to roam laws.    

39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

As I said previously,   it's not going to be that easy to roll back the new golf course wildlife.    Perceived territory.    Lots of people becoming experts in the freedom to roam laws.    

410 shotgun should be deemed an appropriate addition to golf equipment.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

5 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

410 shotgun should be deemed an appropriate addition to golf equipment.

I reckon when we see an official green light to play golf,   the people currently seen on golf courses wont desist from being there... they'll just turn up with their clubs.    

10 minutes ago, Mort said:

So golf in England as of Wednesday?

That’s how I took it but only with people from your own household.

Hopefully Scotland follows albeit singles only.

1 hour ago, dicksojo said:

That’s how I took it but only with people from your own household.

Hopefully Scotland follows albeit singles only.

giphy.gif

Hopefully won't be far behind

13 hours ago, Victorian said:

I reckon when we see an official green light to play golf,   the people currently seen on golf courses wont desist from being there... they'll just turn up with their clubs.    

Have members been walking their own hallowed turf? What a torment that would be.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Have members been walking their own hallowed turf? What a torment that would be.

It is indeed haha! We've been quite busy over the last few weeks, finishing up our winter programme digging out a couple ponds to help poor drainage. I've been going along taking progress photos, seeing the course looking great is a mixed bag of emotions :lol:

IMG-20200507-WA0000.jpg

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Barack said:

Llanymynech Golf Club down here, borders Shropshire. They've got 15 holes in Wales. 3 in England.

Golf Wales have told them to stay shut. Bet that's wound a few up. :lol:

Just play the 3 holes on a 6x loop :lol:

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It is indeed haha! We've been quite busy over the last few weeks, finishing up our winter programme digging out a couple ponds to help poor drainage. I've been going along taking progress photos, seeing the course looking great is a mixed bag of emotions :lol:

IMG-20200507-WA0000.jpg

An exposed part of the course, or are the trees pished?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

An exposed part of the course, or are the trees pished?

Haha definitely exposed. I had never noticed it till I took that photo though :lol:

I believe in Ireland you have to stay within 5km of the club, but clubs aren't policing it so not sure how many will abide by that rule. :lol: 

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Arseholes. Should be blacklisted for all local clubs and told to GTF by all of them.

I agree. For me, this is a time where clubs come together with a united front but inevetably, courses who can afford things such as refunds or delaying start of season til we return will scoop up members from clubs who can't afford it.

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Unreal.    I've been to that club many times and know how well heeled a lot of people are there.    They have a lot of members from well outside the area.    Lots of very well off members in that club.     I dare say there's some less wealthy members and we have no idea who there is asking for refunds.     A bit surprised though.

hmfc_liam06

In all honesty though, I definitely see things totally different now that I'm a committee member. My viewpoint if I weren't likely wouldn't be as hardline.

I just hate the entitled attitude of club members.

We stick up some course updates and there's guys who are deliberately holding back their fees commenting how great it looks....aye no thanks to you arseholes though!!

The one thing about Blairgowrie's membership might be their further afield members.    It could be that these people have BGC as their secondary membership and feel no club attachment to them.     Perhaps the type of member who only views that membership as a value for money transaction.    

I imagine traditional one-club members everywhere are much more supportive.

29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

In all honesty though, I definitely see things totally different now that I'm a committee member. My viewpoint if I weren't likely wouldn't be as hardline.

I just hate the entitled attitude of club members.

We stick up some course updates and there's guys who are deliberately holding back their fees commenting how great it looks....aye no thanks to you arseholes though!!

Committee status is enlightening to say the least, a real eyeopener. I've done my stint, glad I did, full respect for the stalwarts.

By chance I've learned unofficially that our club has been dealing with allowing access to collect clubs... without telling anyone.     Might now have missed the bus.

I'll not miss the target when I phone tomorrow.

What happens now? England, Ireland and Wales allowed to play but Scotland still can’t. To be honest I think it’s a bit of a joke and I’ve yet to hear of any mention of sport in Scotland being eased. Very frustrating.

29 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

What happens now? England, Ireland and Wales allowed to play but Scotland still can’t. To be honest I think it’s a bit of a joke and I’ve yet to hear of any mention of sport in Scotland being eased. Very frustrating.

I reckon mid to late of next week.   It shouldn't be long.

52 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I really hope so!

52 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I really hope so!

hmfc_liam06

I just hope the English don't **** this up for us.

If there are much flouting of the rules shown within the media, Sturgeon won't hesitate to continue not allowing golf.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some boy tweeted that he got his 1st hole in one with his first shot back after lockdown.    

Unreal. Guaranteed my 1st shot back will be a shank into the trees.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

Unreal. Guaranteed my 1st shot back will be a shank into the trees.

I'll take that.   Getting club on ball is not guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This is worrying. Even though we had the financial benefit of all our subscriptions paid prior to 31st Dec 2019. The club has Just asked for members donations to see them through these cashless times. If not enough donations are made the club will introduce a levy. Our finances were extremely robust pre Cv-19. Many clubs won't survive this crisis unfortunately.    

hmfc_liam06

Sunday Times.

"Today's edition of the Sunday Times is reporting that an announcement of plans to let people return to leisure pursuits – including golf, tennis and fishing – could come as early as Tuesday."

Meantime,  my club is still dragging it's feet in allowing collection of clubs.   They've said this wont be possible once the course opens but it's a total shambles re organising collections before the window ends.    They seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel with an over-designed system instead of having a completely manageable day or days of queuing up to get in and out in a matter of minutes.    

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sunday Times.

"Today's edition of the Sunday Times is reporting that an announcement of plans to let people return to leisure pursuits – including golf, tennis and fishing – could come as early as Tuesday."

Our online booking system had to be shut down, more and more people were booking tee times hoping the course would be open 5 days later.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sunday Times.

Just checked my club's booking system. Still showing as closed with no option to book any slots, however if you move to Tuesday 19th onwards it says bookings will go live on 18 May.

:wow: 

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Just checked my club's booking system. Still showing as closed with no option to book any slots, however if you move to Tuesday 19th onwards it says bookings will go live on 18 May.

:wow: 

Ours was there earlier,  appearing to show times available but none taken.   Now it's gone completely.   Presumably something is afoot.

Clubs must have had some sort of notice from Scottish Golf about an expected return. I notice the booking page does now have the tee times 10 minutes apart.

Edited by Ray Gin

Sunrise 04:52, Sunset 21:25 on Tuesday 19th...18 degrees 15mph wind, just give the nod Nic.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

hmfc_liam06
15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Clubs must have had some sort of notice from Scottish Golf about an expected return. I notice the booking page does now have the tee times 10 minutes apart.

We haven't. Although Scottish Golf being "selective" wouldn't surprise me.

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We haven't. Although Scottish Golf being "selective" wouldn't surprise me.

C,mon Liam eh, ditch the nego pish...golf is coming home...:biggrin2:

Tee times booked for Wednesday and Friday.

Come on Nicola don't let us down

:robboyas:

Pinched the pink bit above from our BRS booking system, booking may go live on 18th for Sat 23rd.

Computer systems know more than the plebs. Systems are being primed...💥

Edited by Old Blue Eyes