Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

joondalupjambo

Our club has gone for a free for all system to collect your clubs from the locker room.  Enter club using your swipe card into narrow corridors and small locker areas without knowing how many folk are already in there.  Then you must not use the bog when inside the locker area, they are right beside each other.

So hundreds of old folk wandering about in a daze, we usually are and on top of that the opportunity to take yet another a pee.  What could possibly go wrong😃

Edited by joondalupjambo

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Our club has gone for a free for all system to collect your clubs from the locker room.  Enter club using your swipe card into narrow corridors and small locker areas without knowing how many folk are already in there.  Then you must not use the bog when inside the locker area, they are right beside each other.

So hundreds of old folk wandering about in a daze, we usually are and on top of that the opportunity to take yet another a pee.  What could possibly go wrong😃

You'll be fine, only 6 tee times in any given hour, nae need for a wander in a daze is there?

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good to have a six week run but disappointing that no Scottish venues have been chosen. The Jonnie Walker could have returned to Gleneagles and back to back events at Celtic Manor is a bit random. 

Less hoards north of Hadrians, baby steps.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, OBE said:

Less hoards north of Hadrians, baby steps.

If the Dunhill is OK to go ahead, it'll run back to back with the Scottish Open. 

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If the Dunhill is OK to go ahead, it'll run back to back with the Scottish Open. 

Is Dunhill on in October? Scottish at Renaissance?

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, OBE said:

You'll be fine, only 6 tee times in any given hour, nae need for a wander in a daze is there?

No we have 8 per hour, only a couple more but folk knowing you can collect clubs will mean they will just appear to get them tee time booked or not.  It is a nap. Apparently folk were down this morning trying to get access even though it was clear that they should not start to collect before tomorrow.  Human nature I guess.  Oh and do not worry a daze is a natural trait at my age😃

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

No we have 8 per hour, only a couple more but folk knowing you can collect clubs will mean they will just appear to get them tee time booked or not.  It is a nap. Apparently folk were down this morning trying to get access even though it was clear that they should not start to collect before tomorrow.  Human nature I guess.  Oh and do not worry a daze is a natural trait at my age😃

Sorry, thought Scottish Golf & Scottish Gov decided 10 minutes between tee times. Enjoy your golf Sir.

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, OBE said:

Is Dunhill on in October? Scottish at Renaissance?

Yes to both. Dunhill scheduled to follow Ryder Cup which will likely be pushed back to next year. 

joondalupjambo
8 hours ago, OBE said:

Sorry, thought Scottish Golf & Scottish Gov decided 10 minutes between tee times. Enjoy your golf Sir.

Aye like you so did I but we are 8 minutes between them.  Just checked the R&A website and looks like the most recent guidance is 10 minutes, well well well that will be a question to the club.  If I was a betting chap then I would guess the reason is that whoever is responsible for the club's online booking system cannot edit ours :rolleyes5:  

Edited by joondalupjambo

Not long now before the 1st scores are returned. Hope there's a few interesting stories come dark.

**** me I'm slaughtered.   First game for 7 months +.   Hot day didn't help.    Golf was much better than expected.    I only took 7 clubs out with no fairway wood.   Only used the 5i once and the 7i once.    Driving was not a lot different to normal 'played in' times until it became a bit laboured when I was getting really tired.     Played 15 holes and was +6 for those,   helped by 2 long birdie putts.   One rested inside the lip and the other rebounded straight back off the foam insert at little pace.    3 bunker shots played about as well as I ever play them.

Normally I have a decent first game after the winter lay off and the second game is terrible.    Would not be surprised if the +6 for those 15 is a good number worse second time out.    

Edited by Victorian

joondalupjambo

Three off the first tee like so many I watched this morning.  47 out with a lot of bad shots and bad decision making. That got my eye in  though and 38 back with just the one birdie so overall pretty happy with that score.  Off 10 so around about what I expected to be fair.  What a day, glorious and the views up and down the Forth and across to Edinburgh and the Pentlands were fantastic.

Just back from my first round.

What a perfect day, course was running so fast compared to last round. (mud balls, and plugged lies).

Course was in decent nick,and greens nice if a little slow.

Managed 35 points so pretty pleased, even a couple of birdies, but too many loose shots and putts..

Roll on Monday for next episode.

29 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_2020-05-29-15-57-40-901_com.facebook.katana.png

Know a few players who have been doing that for years:whistling:

Erratic to say the least. 4 lost balls over 9 holes. Took til the 6th hole to hit the first clean iron shot. Short game the only strong point, which is most unusual for me.

Still loved it.

After 10 weeks of being Tiger Woods.... 91 on a par 67. Probably more I stopped looking for my  all and just chucking one down somewhere close.

Driver was disgusting, 44 putts... rubbish game.

Back out on Sunday.   Really looking forward to it after getting out today and the fitness aspect being a bit better than expected.   Will play a full 18 this time and it's supposed to be a bit cooler too.

Think I'm going to be hauled back in to work soon.    A few more weeks of being a workshy ***** would have been great but not to be.

Samuel Camazzola
58 minutes ago, Phage said:

After 10 weeks of being Tiger Woods.... 91 on a par 67. Probably more I stopped looking for my  all and just chucking one down somewhere close.

Driver was disgusting, 44 putts... rubbish game.

What course did you play? 

22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What course did you play? 

Glencorse

Bought Arcoss golf tracker stats thing aswell, so have the privilege of being able to review my terrible terrible round haha

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, Phage said:

Glencorse

Bought Arcoss golf tracker stats thing aswell, so have the privilege of being able to review my terrible terrible round haha

Been several years since I was there. Is it seven or eight par 3s with only one of the sub 200 yards? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Been several years since I was there. Is it seven or eight par 3s with only one of the sub 200 yards? 

Aye there are 8 par 3's, but only one is a nice par where you have a decent shot at the flag. 230 yard par 3 is tough. It's a really really challenging course if your not hitting fairways also.

Where do you play?

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Phage said:

Aye there are 8 par 3's, but only one is a nice par where you have a decent shot at the flag. 230 yard par 3 is tough. It's a really really challenging course if your not hitting fairways also.

Where do you play?

I played against a guy who was the club junior champion (David Inglis) and was due to head to the US for a golf scholarship. He was on a different level and really impressive. Is the 230 yard par 3 the 5th? He nailed a fairway wood and landed it pin high.

I'm at The Fairmont and Balbirnie Park. 

28 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I played against a guy who was the club junior champion (David Inglis) and was due to head to the US for a golf scholarship. He was on a different level and really impressive. Is the 230 yard par 3 the 5th? He nailed a fairway wood and landed it pin high.

Yellow tees yardage,

1st 225 yards

3rd 208 

5th 238

8th 164

11th 211

12th 211

15th 236

17th 215

Aye 5th is a cracking hole but it's a full 3 wood for me. So low percentage

Edited by Phage

joondalupjambo
On 29/05/2020 at 06:53, joondalupjambo said:

Aye like you so did I but we are 8 minutes between them.  Just checked the R&A website and looks like the most recent guidance is 10 minutes, well well well that will be a question to the club.  If I was a betting chap then I would guess the reason is that whoever is responsible for the club's online booking system cannot edit ours :rolleyes5:  

And yes question was raised at first game back yesterday and bottom line is we could not edit the booking system!!  No doubt if we are challenged it will be a Dominic Cummings moment, we made a judgement and decided 8 minute intervals was fine because they are not really rules are they :)

joondalupjambo
On 29/05/2020 at 06:53, joondalupjambo said:

And yes question was raised at first game back yesterday and bottom line is we could not edit the booking system!!  No doubt if we are challenged it will be a Dominic Cummings moment, we made a judgement and decided 8 minute intervals was fine because they are not really rules are 

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not sure if same David Inglis but I think he plays/played out of Ratho Park?

hmfc_liam06

I took an 8 in the first after topping a drive and 3 subsequent hybrids. Then a 6 on the 2nd. :lol:

Ended up shooting 37 points stableford after a -1 scratch last 4 holes. Putting was horrendous. 

Back out again this afternoon. 

10 hours ago, Phage said:

Yellow tees yardage,

1st 225 yards

3rd 208 

5th 238

8th 164

11th 211

12th 211

15th 236

17th 215

Savage par 3s there :lol: 

Only one I'd be able to reach with an iron 

The Mighty Thor

That was magic. 

First tee shot was right down the middle. We'll leave it at that. 😂

Back for more tomorrow. 👍

27 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That was magic. 

First tee shot was right down the middle. We'll leave it at that. 😂

Back for more tomorrow. 👍

Defo.   Driver off the tee peg is about the easiest or most reliable shot.    Irons or woods off the deck a whole different matter.    

One thing from yesterday was the full on summer nick of the course.    Really wish things were normal to be able to have competitions on.

joondalupjambo

Just back from a wee 12 mile walk from Anstruther to Lundin Links, need to get fit for all the forthcoming golf!!  So updates from the following courses 🙂

Anstruther a few queuing to play but did not look that busy,  watched the first tee hitters for a few minutes and about 50/50 in terms of good shots, bad shots.  Short hole by the beach, guy mishit his tee shot from high on the hill into the edge of the rough just before the fairway, addresses ball in rough and I am thinking this should be fun, hits what looked like a pitching iron onto the back of the small green, the ball hits the deck and spins back to about 6 feet from the hole.  It just shows you never judge a man playing in long cargo pants with the full on big pockets.  Obviously a player.

Elie another world, lots of rich folk playing in shorts with the mandatory long, thick, heavy wool socks which is the rule there if you wear shorts.  Must have been absolutely roasting in this weather.  Watched two young players, one male and one female playing second shots to the 16th, good long drives and both nailed the second shots to within 10 feet.  This looks an easy game my wife says.  Then on the 18th another, older lady golfer, with the golf trolley and the two, two not just one, Spaniels tied to the trolley for the round.  Is that right?  I thought golf courses were for playing golf not exercising your hounds🙂

And then past Dumbarnie and it looked fantastic.  By the time we got to this point it was much windier with a strong southerly sea breeze.  It did not appear that busy, not two's on every tee anyway that we could see.  What we did notice as a lot of folk playing a second ball off the tees which could either have been poor first shots or they just fancied a second hit on the basis it might be a one time round, not sure.  Funny thing was we did not see that many good shots, looks like all the better players were further east along the coast🙂

Edited by joondalupjambo

John mcCartney

that was a good read...cheers
Il be over at Leven or Fairmont next week sometime and Il get round to Dumbarnie soon enough
Old Course Musselburgh tommorow eve for 9 holes tho.

hmfc_liam06

Second round played today and a definite overall improvement on yesterday. Driver was very hit or miss. When it was hit I was getting miles out it but definitely a few ropey shots in there too.

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Not sure if same David Inglis but I think he plays/played out of Ratho Park?

If he's a ginger headed guy and playing off scratch, it could well be him. 

4 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

that was a good read...cheers
Il be over at Leven or Fairmont next week sometime and Il get round to Dumbarnie soon enough
Old Course Musselburgh tommorow eve for 9 holes tho.

Fairmont opens on 5th June. Initial details are that it'll be Kittocks course only on that day. 

Teed off at 4, back in the car park at 6:45. Fairways hard and fast, greens lush and too long but, green staff have been governed by Scottish Golf who have stipulated; greens should only be cut three times a week, bizzare.

All square down the 18th, found a bunker of the tee, played out to three feet and marked the ball, partner has pitched on to 18 feet then drains it, I miss, what a welcome back but, I loved it.

694275809_Kilspindie(3).thumb.png.34175dc16ebdcdf46d2e24e52f999b86.png

Edited by OBE

John mcCartney
23 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fairmont opens on 5th June. Initial details are that it'll be Kittocks course only on that day. 

Yep.
Hoping that all the pitchmarks have had some attention/grown back etc.
Was brutal there last time I visited.

3 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Kilspindie by the looks of it ?

In one, so good to be back, great conversation, fantastic vistas and humped on the last, par for the course...:biggrin:

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Kilspindie looking superb there.    Looks like it's mid July rather than end of May.

In the past I've been guilty of taking it for granted, never again. Yes, the course is parched, apart from the greens as you can see, fairways desperately need a drink.

Pumpherston booked for Mon,Tue,and Wed, looking forward to smashing my first drive 100 yards😁.

Tommy Brown
On 29/05/2020 at 23:24, Phage said:

20200529-231819.jpg

Arcoss is pretty good, shame about my golfing 😕

Do you get a sensor for each club.

Was looking at on Amazon. Didn't seem clear.