Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Depends on the course.    I see you were playing Braids so there's lots of very tight tee shots and it's quite short.     It will be good practice for the mid-long irons.

Yeah true, only around 4 or 5 holes require a long hit off the tee at Braids. Lots of very reachable par 4s if you just take an iron.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah true, only around 4 or 5 holes require a long hit off the tee at Braids. Lots of very reachable par 4s if you just take an iron.

5,6,10,11,12 are the holes.     I would hit a driver at more holes but irons at 1,3,4,7,8,14,15,16,18 can be the play depending on the power of the player.

Yep I was an iron or hybrid on all the holes mentioned above, except 14 where I hit my driver. Result? Lost ball. :lol:

Edited by Ray Gin
actually 12 is very reachable too - I did hit a driver and was only 30 yards short of the green.

52 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep I was an iron or hybrid on all the holes mentioned above, except 14 where I hit my driver. Result? Lost ball. :lol:

Love golfing 'up the hill'.     I'm considering joining a couple of the Braids associated clubs to play a bit of medal golf up there from time to time.     I'll leave it for next season and find out which ones do drawsheet comps at the weekends,   rather than arrange your own game type comps.      There's a few clubs and they all tend to be comprised of nice,  friendly members.    Harrison, Braids Utd, Edinburgh Western, Edinburgh Thistle, Ye Monks.

Braids is a cracking course but you really need a reasonably calm day. If the forecast is saying 15mph or higher forget about it. Up the hills at Braids you can add another 10mph to that number and it becomes a slog.

John mcCartney

arrived at mortonhall this moz,starts raining
hits a few testicles and gets on the putting green
5 mins before showtime,fakn torrential downpour puts me right off
as im not really equipped for such heavy rain(have w/proof gilet,all wev gloves,hat,umbrella)
makes excuses to playing partners and leaves the carpark,exit for newhaven
absolutely hammering down
gets home,its brightened up and no precipitation for a couple of hours

2+2=5

1 hour ago, John mcCartney said:

arrived at mortonhall this moz,starts raining
hits a few testicles and gets on the putting green
5 mins before showtime,fakn torrential downpour puts me right off
as im not really equipped for such heavy rain(have w/proof gilet,all wev gloves,hat,umbrella)
makes excuses to playing partners and leaves the carpark,exit for newhaven
absolutely hammering down
gets home,its brightened up and no precipitation for a couple of hours

2+2=5

Whose testicles were you hitting?

:berra:

John mcCartney

i get bored of saying golf balls mate,ive called em testicles for a good number of years now.
(childish i know )

hope the rain isnt following me around this weekend as il head out in a bit and put in a shift at old course musselburgh this avo
in preparation for the glen`s open tomora

William H. Bonney

You're Scottish, you live in Scotland, play golf regularly and you're not prepared for heavy rain? 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

You're Scottish, you live in Scotland, play golf regularly and you're not prepared for heavy rain? 

Or checked a forecast :lol:

William H. Bonney
9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Or checked a forecast :lol:

30 degrees and sunny I'd still probably take waterproofs. 

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

30 degrees and sunny I'd still probably take waterproofs. 

Mines never leave my bag tbh.

What shoes are folk wearing just now? I've had a pair of Footjoy AWD but noticed I'm slipping a lot, even in the dry. 

Quite fancy the Under Armour Fade spiked shoes. 

82 - 3 at Spey valley, hit it well but had a 3 hole run of , double, double, triple. The double on the 660 yard par 5 was a sickner, had a 15 foot putt from the fringe for a birdie! Knocked it back and forth a few times :facepalm: 

should win closest to the pin on 16 stick it to around 5ft , 196 yards and I had to step on a 6 iron to get it there, crisped it. 

Also had one of those offers on the 10th hole par 3 ,205 it was playing , pay a tenner and if I you hit the green you get a free round of golf and up to 3 players to sign on for half price, he gave me it and it did look like it held the green , got up to the green and it was a few yards off , bonus ! ?

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

82 - 3 at Spey valley, hit it well but had a 3 hole run of , double, double, triple. The double on the 660 yard par 5 was a sickner, had a 15 foot putt from the fringe for a birdie! Knocked it back and forth a few times :facepalm: 

should win closest to the pin on 16 stick it to around 5ft , 196 yards and I had to step on a 6 iron to get it there, crisped it. 

Also had one of those offers on the 10th hole par 3 ,205 it was playing , pay a tenner and if I you hit the green you get a free round of golf and up to 3 players to sign on for half price, he gave me it and it did look like it held the green , got up to the green and it was a few yards off , bonus ! ?

A bit like my round today, felt like I was striking every club well but had 2 bad spells in the round double/double/double at 6/7/8 then again at 14/15. Mostly down to bad bounces or poor putting.

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A bit like my round today, felt like I was striking every club well but had 2 bad spells in the round double/double/double at 6/7/8 then again at 14/15. Mostly down to bad bounces or poor putting.

Aye , holes 4/5/6 were my downfall, I can’t blame any bad bounces , shocking putting and when a 5 iron flies a green that’s 210 away into knee high heather, what can you do! Actually it wasn’t a triple it was a quadruple on that hole ! ? 7 on a par 3 :wow: 

hmfc_liam06
12 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Aye , holes 4/5/6 were my downfall, I can’t blame any bad bounces , shocking putting and when a 5 iron flies a green that’s 210 away into knee high heather, what can you do! Actually it wasn’t a triple it was a quadruple on that hole ! ? 7 on a par 3 :wow: 

Haha that's some dig with a 5.

I had my ball hit the downslope behind a bunker and shoot off into the shite on 7 then on 8 my ball had a 90 degree bounce straight into the pond :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Mines never leave my bag tbh.

What shoes are folk wearing just now? I've had a pair of Footjoy AWD but noticed I'm slipping a lot, even in the dry. 

Quite fancy the Under Armour Fade spiked shoes. 

For wet conditions, my expensive purchase were a pair of Ecco Biom. Goretex 100% waterproof and still completely dry after several years. Best performing shoes I've had. 

I have around five other pairs I rotate throughout the season in different brands, colours and styles. I sourced a set of old school metal spikes and have fitted these on to my Footjoy's. Much prefer these to soft spikes as they don't gather the grass and dirt as much and have better grip. 

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

For wet conditions, my expensive purchase were a pair of Ecco Biom. Goretex 100% waterproof and still completely dry after several years. Best performing shoes I've had. 

I have around five other pairs I rotate throughout the season in different brands, colours and styles. I sourced a set of old school metal spikes and have fitted these on to my Footjoy's. Much prefer these to soft spikes as they don't gather the grass and dirt as much and have better grip. 

I looked at a pair of Ecco in American Golf the other day, they look superb. 

Samuel Camazzola

There is an outlet store in Livi that usually has a small selection. May be worth a look if you're not wanting to commit to full price stuff. 

John mcCartney

i dont do the big bag thing and carry loads of shit,but il be fully equipped tomora at the Glen for the 2pm time !!!!!!
looking poss torrential at the start on the forecast.

very important a good golf shoe......mines are ecco,although ive slipped a couple of times recently on the hard surface fairways.non spiked studded pattern on sole

43 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

i dont do the big bag thing and carry loads of shit,but il be fully equipped tomora at the Glen for the 2pm time !!!!!!
looking poss torrential at the start on the forecast.

very important a good golf shoe......mines are ecco,although ive slipped a couple of times recently on the hard surface fairways.non spiked studded pattern on sole

Shame you never ever made it out at mortonhall, the course was excellent even though the weather was stinking

74-1 at Mortonhall open today, went out in -2 but had 4 bogeys on the trot on the back 9. The wind and rain didn’t help one bit! 

Golf shoes, currently wearing sketchers that I got in the states. So far probably the comfiest shoe I’ve had. 

Kept my original under armour shoes for the winter time though, they’ve lasted 2 full years now so I’d recommend them to anyone

John mcCartney

yeah,i feared a drowning straight away st s,so i legged it....thats  a great score in the conditions,was there any issues with water on the greens?

was it a counter,how did you get on in the results ? ......looked like there was nice vouchers to be had

2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

yeah,i feared a drowning straight away st s,so i legged it....thats  a great score in the conditions,was there any issues with water on the greens?

was it a counter,how did you get on in the results ? ......looked like there was nice vouchers to be had

The only issue I had was some standing water on the 17th green, it wasn’t very noticeable but there was certainly a spray of water behind the ball which made me 3 putt. Apart from that the course held up well. Think I’m in line for 2nd scratch or 6 th overall which are both worth about £90 so I’m delighted. Visitors css went to 75 so down to 0.5 now

The Mighty Thor

This game is really starting to wear me down. I'm in the middle of lessons to sort out my swing, which I'm really enjoying working on. 

Medal yesterday into the wind front 9 and I turn in level par nice and steady two birdies, two bogeys. Two doubles and back in 11 over downwind. 

Clubs launched in the garage and the petted lip is oot big time. 

I've got medal card fever! 

I

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This game is really starting to wear me down. I'm in the middle of lessons to sort out my swing, which I'm really enjoying working on. 

Medal yesterday into the wind front 9 and I turn in level par nice and steady two birdies, two bogeys. Two doubles and back in 11 over downwind. 

Clubs launched in the garage and the petted lip is oot big time. 

I've got medal card fever! 

I

Put the petted lip away and realise that apparently only 5% of golfers are capable of breaking 80 regularly.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Put the petted lip away and realise that apparently only 5% of golfers are capable of breaking 80 regularly.

:pleasing: will be using this stat , cheers. 

Level / +11 sounds an absolute nightmare to take.     Even +5/6 would probably have been a disappointment after the front 9.      

I've had a tough time on the front 9 scores this year and been much better on the back 9.    Recovered a few scores from the clouds.     You don't have the same disappointment that way around but you should really.     

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

:pleasing: will be using this stat , cheers. 

Seemingly only 50% can even break 100 regularly.

19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Seemingly only 50% can even break 100 regularly.

Really? Where are you getting this from? 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

What about those who break 90 regularly?

:verysmug:

We're in the top 20%.

9 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Really? Where are you getting this from? 

Just from the top bit of text on this google search: 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+percetnage+of+golfers+break+80&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB807GB807&oq=wha&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i59j35i39j69i61.1672j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There's also this with similar numbers:

https://golfblogger.com/what_percentage_of_golfers_shoot_under_100/

There's various Internet stuff re average,  percentages,  etc.

According to those,  my 7 h/c sits on the 96th or 97th percentile.    Doesn't seem like it sometimes.    

Playing at council courses, I can quite believe it. The majority of players I see out on the course are zig zagging from one side of the hole to the other, trundling the ball about 100 yards at a time.

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Playing at council courses, I can quite believe it. The majority of players I see out on the course are zig zagging from one side of the hole to the other, trundling the ball about 100 yards at a time.

You think your bad until you see some of the folk out there :lol:

Harry Potter
18 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You think your bad until you see some of the folk out there :lol:

Or 3 putt from 12 feet, putting for a burdie 3 as well, nerves got the better of me.

A top professional can 3-yak from 12 feet.     It's the one discipline of the game that the pros can never completely separate themselves from any standard of club or casual player.    I'm really not sure why putting has always been and continues to be so difficult for the best players in the world to perfect.     

Edited by Victorian

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

A top professional can 3-yak from 12 feet.     It's the one discipline of the game that the pros can never completely separate themselves from any standard of club or casual player.    I'm really not sure why putting has always been and continues to be so difficult for the best players in the world to perfect.     

Its nerves Vic, i had an outing at Gullane 3, putted 4 20 footers, its a mind set, the german langer suffered.

4 feet are my worst , not 3, its in the brain.

Hitting long drives but catching the bunkers, :mad::mad:i love golf but im hard on myself, need to lighten up.

Carrick-knowe 17th , tried to be smart, 242 yds, 3 hybrid, skyed it, 8 iron to 10 ft , , got a 4 madness.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Its nerves Vic, i had an outing at Gullane 3, putted 4 20 footers, its a mind set, the german langer suffered.

4 feet are my worst , not 3, its in the brain.

Hitting long drives but catching the bunkers, :mad::mad:i love golf but im hard on myself, need to lighten up.

Carrick-knowe 17th , tried to be smart, 242 yds, 3 hybrid, skyed it, 8 iron to 10 ft , , got a 4 madness.

All types of utter madness can occur on the golf course via 'nerves' or uncertainty.     It's very easy to assume your current game is hardened,  nerve-proofed or at least well insulated from frailties.    The game has a wonderful ability to give you a boot up the jacksie and set your confidence back a bit.

My putting this year has been really poor, the last two years I hit it as well as I ever have, so it takes the pressure off the putting. Haven’t played that well this year and it’s at the point now that I’d rather leave myself a 25 footer than a 5 footer ...

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My putting this year has been really poor, the last two years I hit it as well as I ever have, so it takes the pressure off the putting. Haven’t played that well this year and it’s at the point now that I’d rather leave myself a 25 footer than a 5 footer ...

This.    Good pitching and chipping takes pressure off putting.    Bad will always pressurise putting.     My Dad always told me "if your putting is bad... look to your chipping".

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

All types of utter madness can occur on the golf course via 'nerves' or uncertainty.     It's very easy to assume your current game is hardened,  nerve-proofed or at least well insulated from frailties.    The game has a wonderful ability to give you a boot up the jacksie and set your confidence back a bit.

Im not a member as im not in to clubs but play the carrick- knowe wednesday as a non member, its fun but putting out

from 9 inches is a joke, but fais dos thats how they roll. 

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I dread to think how many shots I've thrown away this year by missing putts inside 3 feet.

Its fear of missing Ray, not the putter, not the holder, just centre on the ball, and enough to get it there.

Was with an 83 year old last week, mental, good jambo, some driver.

Best short range putting routine.    Take your time before address but once over the putt,   don't dwell.    Short back and accelerate through the stroke.     

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Or 7 from 2 feet.  :lol: 

Incredible.    What a horrible twitch he had at the 1st one.    2 and 3 horribly dragged.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

ignore me, I just posted big Ern video :facepalm:

Edited by Tommy Brown

Harry Potter
14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Incredible.    What a horrible twitch he had at the 1st one.    2 and 3 horribly dragged.

That just put my 3 putt in to no problem bracket, wot on earth happened there:mellow:

39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

That just put my 3 putt in to no problem bracket, wot on earth happened there:mellow:

The first one looked like a yippy twitch.   Seemed to suddenly flick at it.    Horrible.