Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

39 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

16 qualifiers or straight into quarter finals round? 

16.      We have about 28 or so up to 77 so it's a big dogfight tomorrow.    

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Victorian said:

16.      We have about 28 or so up to 77 so it's a big dogfight tomorrow.    

All the best. 

Samuel Camazzola
7 minutes ago, robbodog said:

I think I should stick to stableford golf. 44 points today :sweeet:

What handicap were you playing off? 

4 minutes ago, robbodog said:

17. I'm still pretty new to golf.

Urgh! Bandit. Hopefully they slash your handicap. 

? seriously, well done. 

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Urgh! Bandit. Hopefully they slash your handicap. 

? seriously, well done. 

:laugh: it probably should have been better tbh. I had 26 points after 9:happy:.

It was nuts, I walked off after 18 gutted at only 44 points. The front 9 was easily the best golf I've ever played. The handicap will get a deserved slashing

hmfc_liam06

Change of pace with a scramble at Thornton. A 17, 19 and 20 handicapper, didn't think we had a chance but we played really well, -3 for a 57.7. Just missed out on a place. 

On to Kirkintilloch open next Sunday.

77 today for a total of 153.   3 too many.    They were there to be had.    Gutted as I've ever been in the CC.     22 pars,   1 double and NO BIRDIES.     It woyld have been entirely possible to have done it with no birdies,  which would have been surreal.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, robbodog said:

17. I'm still pretty new to golf.

Yip, that number will come tumbling down. ? 

30 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yip, that number will come tumbling down. ? 

I'm still waiting after playing for years

Disser Pointon

Played Dunblane for the first time yesterday, short track but really enjoyed it. Greens were super quick and the 5 par 3's are all a stern test.

Got to the 36 hole champ final on Saturday but got pretty well humped. Didn’t play too badly in the conditions and was under par for the 33 holes we played. However, 2 birdies and 1 eagle is not enough to win holes against the eventual winner. Very poor match play golf from myself and the putting was not up to the standard required. Still, next year...

11 minutes ago, StSow said:

Got to the 36 hole champ final on Saturday but got pretty well humped. Didn’t play too badly in the conditions and was under par for the 33 holes we played. However, 2 birdies and 1 eagle is not enough to win holes against the eventual winner. Very poor match play golf from myself and the putting was not up to the standard required. Still, next year...

Unlucky, 36 hole match play sounds like a slog! 

11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Unlucky, 36 hole match play sounds like a slog! 

Aye, it is a bit. 18 holes in the semi the night before too. 

Samuel Camazzola
35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Any recommendations for a golf course around the £50 mark?

Gullane. 

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Gullane. 

Noticed that Gullane 2 is £44 after 3.45, good deal!

Cheers for the heads up.

I'd had a look on the SGU website, how how of date is that crock of shit?? Still got member offers up there for 2016!

Had the urge to buy a driving iron for a long time so ordered one of these the other night , beautiful looking club, 18degree loft. 

D6684AD0-BBC5-4195-A0D6-761881B94E4A.jpeg

William H. Bonney
18 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Had the urge to buy a driving iron for a long time so ordered one of these the other night , beautiful looking club, 18degree loft. 

I've never used one before. How far are you expecting to hit it and is it more accurate than a driver? 

10 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I've never used one before. How far are you expecting to hit it and is it more accurate than a driver? 

It’ll be replacing my 19 degree hybrid depending on conditions, I carry my hybrid about 230/240 , so I’d imagine the driving iron will be around the same (maybe a tad less) , with a lot more run, especially with all this dry weather we’ve had. 

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Looks really sleek. I love the 2 iron I have (Mizuno) and hit it a mile. Been using it off the tee frequently lately as it has a more penetrating flight and more forgiving. 

hmfc_liam06
53 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

It’ll be replacing my 19 degree hybrid depending on conditions, I carry my hybrid about 230/240 , so I’d imagine the driving iron will be around the same (maybe a tad less) , with a lot more run, especially with all this dry weather we’ve had. 

Or around the TOTAL distance of my driver :lol: 

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Nice! I’ve been thinking of getting rid of my 3 wood and current rescue and replacing it with  a stronger rescue and something similar to that. 

2 minutes ago, StSow said:

Nice! I’ve been thinking of getting rid of my 3 wood and current rescue and replacing it with  a stronger rescue and something similar to that. 

If you hold off a few weeks mine might be for sale ?. 

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Or around the TOTAL distance of my driver :lol: 

Get lashing at it , Liam !!

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Noticed that Gullane 2 is £44 after 3.45, good deal!

Cheers for the heads up.

I'd had a look on the SGU website, how how of date is that crock of shit?? Still got member offers up there for 2016!

I'm sure Kilspindie is approx £50 during the week and is on the same bit of land. How far afield are you looking to travel for a game? 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Get lashing at it , Liam !!

Getting there mate. I'd bee middling about with the driver for a few months but started working on it since the turn of the year.

Had a long of 269 yards this year and averaging 220 yards. Happy with where it's going.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure Kilspindie is approx £50 during the week and is on the same bit of land. How far afield are you looking to travel for a game? 

I think we're planning on Monifieth. £140 fourball. None of us have played it.

But open to travelling anywhere within an hour and a half of Fife really.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Tommy Brown

Here is one for you, guys.

Playing in competition at the weekend, I came across a rule I was unaware of.

This may be a local rule, I am not sure. all our Hazard markers are "immovable objects".

Over the years I have seen (and done myself) players remove these stakes ouT of the way if landing close to them or being in the line of shot. No, not allowed.

In my case, we have a wee mini pond beside the 13th green, it always been clear, you are either in it or not, but a new stake has been put just outside it and a yellow line marked around.

I landed in this 6" zone. No problem, i accepted that I was in the hazard. I went to pull out the marker post but got stopped. I was unaware until I checked the card that the post is immovable.

If i had been just the other side of the line, I could have a free dtop away from the post, if I could show it interfering with my swing or stance.

So always read your card particularly for rules on paths, boundaries, etc.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

This may be a local rule, I am not sure. all our Hazard markers are "immovable objects".

Over the years I have seen (and done myself) players remove these stakes ouT of the way if landing close to them or being in the line of shot. No, not allowed.

In my case, we have a wee mini pond beside the 13th green, it always been clear, you are either in it or not, but a new stake has been put just outside it and a yellow line marked around.

I landed in this 6" zone. No problem, i accepted that I was in the hazard. I went to pull out the marker post but got stopped. I was unaware until I checked the card that the post is immovable.

If i had been just the other side of the line, I could have a free dtop away from the post, if I could show it interfering with my swing or stance.

I've always assumed any stakes and marker poles can be moved if impeding your swing. Never been aware of any club imposing a rule whereby you can't move them.

Sounds contradictory.     One one hand you can elect to play a stroke from a water hazard.     On the other hand the club can deem certain objects to be immovable obstructions,  from which you would gain relief under no penalty.    Deeming a water hazard marker as an immovable obstruction in this instance would not allow relief and would(could) prevent a stroke being played from the hazard.     I don't think it would be fair to expect a player to drop under penalty when they would otherwise be able to elect to play it as it lies.

5 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

The stakes, under the rules are fixed and not classified as an obstruction. If you have a local rule declaring them as an obstruction, I think that they would be a movable obstruction as they can be moved easily unless the local rule says otherwise.  Do you have your local rules on a website? Might be worth reading. 

EG - https://www.gullanegolfclub.co.uk/local_rules 

Sources - 

From https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/Rules-of-Golf-Definitions

An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice, except:

a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;

b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and

c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise it is an immovable obstruction.

Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule declaring a movable obstruction to be an immovable obstruction.

Technically a stake is not an obstruction 

Out of bounds’’ is beyond the boundaries of the course or any part of the course so marked by the Committee.

When out of bounds is defined by reference to stakes or a fence or as being beyond stakes or a fence, the out of bounds line is determined by the nearest inside points at ground level of the stakes or fence posts (excluding angled supports). When both stakes and lines are used to indicate out of bounds, the stakes identify out of bounds and the lines define out of bounds.
When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds. The out of bounds line extends vertically upwards and downwards.

A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds. A player may stand out of bounds to play a ball lying within bounds.

Objects defining out of bounds such as walls, fences, stakes and railings are not obstructions and are deemed to be fixed. Stakes identifying out of bounds are not obstructions and are deemed to be fixed.

Note 1: Stakes or lines used to define out of bounds should be white.

Note 2: Committee may make a Local Rule declaring stakes identifying but not defining out of bounds to obstructions.

The committee may make them an obstruction 

From - http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/rules/rules-of-golf-out-of-bounds 

3) Whatever is used to define out of bounds – whether fence, railings, wall or stakes – is deemed to be fixed and is not classed as an obstruction. This means that you get no free relief if the fence, railings or wall impede your stance, backswing or follow-through, and that white out of bounds stakes may not be removed to facilitate your next shot.

9.4 to 9.5 the weekend before my singles and pairs tie's - playing off 10 I get horsed in both.  I go out at the weekend and get cut to 8.7.  All on the same course.

Golf is amazing, but it annoys the **** out of me.

Tommy Brown
18 hours ago, Armageddon said:

9.4 to 9.5 the weekend before my singles and pairs tie's - playing off 10 I get horsed in both.  I go out at the weekend and get cut to 8.7.  All on the same course.

Golf is amazing, but it annoys the **** out of me.

you bet, last 5 scores ranging from 80-87.

come the club championship last week and I hack around the course to a 98 & 95 :sob:

hmfc_liam06
32 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

come the club championship last week and I hack around the course to a 98 & 95 :sob:

Them feels!

I hit an 81 playing with my mate a couple Friday's back.

Next day, Saturday medal...94.

F****** love this game!

No gowf for me this week.   May go and watch the championship final between two guys who only out-scored me by 3 and 5 shots in the 36 hole qualifying.  :( They sneaked in and I didn't.    To be fair,  they then beat some low handicap players on the way to the final.    A slightly unexpected final but both are very good and would be worthy winners.

Might pop out tonight for a quick 9, hopefully go along and watch the challenge tour at Spey valley at some point.

A tad depressing watching what I consider to be one of the toughest inland courses that I’ve played being ripped apart by the 2nd tour :sob: 

hmfc_liam06

Nothing much for me this weekend either, certainly no competitions. Might head out at nights for some practice though.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Them feels!

I hit an 81 playing with my mate a couple Friday's back.

Next day, Saturday medal...94.

F****** love this game!

I'm glad it's not just me that has these meltdowns hot on the heels of some decent form. :lol:

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm glad it's not just me that has these meltdowns hot on the heels of some decent form. :lol:

I honestly don't think I've had the same round twice in a row this year. Scores possibly close or the same but the manner in which they've been achieved is totally different.

I managed a run of 4 rounds when I was playing pretty consistently. Then it's like I hit a reset button and went back to beginner mode. :(

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Might pop out tonight for a quick 9, hopefully go along and watch the challenge tour at Spey valley at some point.

A tad depressing watching what I consider to be one of the toughest inland courses that I’ve played being ripped apart by the 2nd tour :sob: 

It was only a few years ago Brooks Koepka was playing in that event. He shot 61 or 62 to score the course record. :ninja:

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I managed a run of 4 rounds when I was playing pretty consistently. Then it's like I hit a reset button and went back to beginner mode. :(

That's typical club player stuff.   Sometimes the whole game and sometimes elements of the game,  driving,  irons,  chipping,  putting,  etc.    There's very often a fine line between things going well and not so.     The margins can be tiny.      Achieving consistency of swing,  tempo,  timing,  putting stroke is like gold dust.     But the best plan for any club player is to avoid over-thinking problems and too much tinkering.    Just go out and hit through a rough patch and try to develop as many consistent traits as you can.

I was struggling to land on a nice putting stroke all weekend there.    Ever so slightly coming off the stroke a few times.     Holed a good few clutch putts but passed up a few chances due to weak striking.      The margins are so tight.

Really enjoyed walking the fairways with the pros today, I followed the last group from the 5th to the 16th and then followed the winning player in the group ahead, good to see a Scottish winner. 

Special mention to Jb Hansen who can fair riffle a golf ball ?. He hit a driver into a decent breeze on the 7th and had around 70 yards left to the flag..... that hole is 432 yards and slightly downhill . Mental. 

Samuel Camazzola

Is 7 the one which has bunkers and a ridge around 250ish then the fairway slopes down into a gully? If so, I usually hit a hybrid on that hole so I'm safe from bunkers and a hanging lie. 

On 6/22/2018 at 14:11, Victorian said:

That's typical club player stuff.   Sometimes the whole game and sometimes elements of the game,  driving,  irons,  chipping,  putting,  etc.    There's very often a fine line between things going well and not so.     The margins can be tiny.      Achieving consistency of swing,  tempo,  timing,  putting stroke is like gold dust.     But the best plan for any club player is to avoid over-thinking problems and too much tinkering.    Just go out and hit through a rough patch and try to develop as many consistent traits as you can.

Tempo's the one for me. Have to really battle to get my lower half turning before my arms on the downswing. Played 12 holes today. +8 (which is a big improvement over the last couple of horror shows) and finished with a 305 yard drive and lob wedge to about a foot from the pin for a tap in birdie. Some confidence restored.

tenor.gif?itemid=12033019