Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is 7 the one which has bunkers and a ridge around 250ish then the fairway slopes down into a gully? If so, I usually hit a hybrid on that hole so I'm safe from bunkers and a hanging lie. 

Aye, I can never get that hole right myself, hit all sorts of clubs off that tee and seem to make an arse of it. Tee shot normally into the wind which makes it tougher. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06

Hilton Park over in Glasgow for me this weekend.

27 hole outing. 18 on the Hilton course with 9 on the Allander. Courses look cracking, anyone played it?

New Driving iron is incredible, had it out tonight, short par 4 at 280 yards pin high, really nice ball flight, and the way it pings off the face is impressive. 

70743D86-19D5-42EA-8949-FC8C2F872F38.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

New Driving iron is incredible, had it out tonight, short par 4 at 280 yards pin high, really nice ball flight, and the way it pings off the face is impressive. 

70743D86-19D5-42EA-8949-FC8C2F872F38.jpeg

Great stuff.    It must be nice to have the kind of long game when a club like that adds something practical.    No point for me to have one of those.

Up to now I have left my 3 and 4 irons out the bag.     I only have one club option (3 iron equiv. hybrid) between my 5 iron and my 4 wood.      The 4 is going back in but not the 3,  until I sort out a 2 club hybrid set.      Too much clowning about trying to play choked off hybrid shots.    Maybe the 4 iron will stay in.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Great stuff.    It must be nice to have the kind of long game when a club like that adds something practical.    No point for me to have one of those.

Up to now I have left my 3 and 4 irons out the bag.     I only have one club option (3 iron equiv. hybrid) between my 5 iron and my 4 wood.      The 4 is going back in but not the 3,  until I sort out a 2 club hybrid set.      Too much clowning about trying to play choked off hybrid shots.    Maybe the 4 iron will stay in.

Its surprisingly easy to hit, mate. I bought it as a extra club to have when it’s windy or for links golf. I also have two hybrids but will rotate between them. Iron is 18 degree so I’ve jacked up my 19 to 21.75 and then onto my 4 iron. 

Played well tonight for a change, been a bit off this season, 2 big events in the next two weeks , king trophy opens at Nairn Dunbar and The Nairn. Can’t wait! 

2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Its surprisingly easy to hit, mate. I bought it as a extra club to have when it’s windy or for links golf. I also have two hybrids but will rotate between them. Iron is 18 degree so I’ve jacked up my 19 to 21.75 and then onto my 4 iron. 

Played well tonight for a change, been a bit off this season, 2 big events in the next two weeks , king trophy opens at Nairn Dunbar and The Nairn. Can’t wait! 

I've tried a couple before and they are nice to hit.     It just has nothing to add to the bag for me.     

Good that you might be hitting form.    This is prime scoring time of the season.     Handicaps must be cut if the chance arises.     I have 2 comps coming up and the weather looks like giving me my best chance in years to get to 6.    -3 required.     

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

I could say I could've used that today...but that's a lie.

Driver was magic, considering the amount of time since I'd played. Rock hard fairways also helped. 

Highlights of the round:

1) 25 foot putt for birdie. Greens were a disaster. Like winter greens...

2) Lob wedge from 30 yards, downhill lie, two tier green, pin at bottom tier with 2 foot drop. Called the shot before I hit it, but it hit the pin and rolled 2 feet away. Par. 

3) Blazing sunshine.

What course were you playing? Like winter greens , not good for June . 

On 21/06/2018 at 14:59, Armageddon said:

9.4 to 9.5 the weekend before my singles and pairs tie's - playing off 10 I get horsed in both.  I go out at the weekend and get cut to 8.7.  All on the same course.

Golf is amazing, but it annoys the **** out of me.

Lets now add to that a nett 65 and a cut to 7.9. Only thing I’ve changed is I’ve been out running 4 times a week for the last 6 weeks ... can definitely feel a difference in my posture on the set up.  I’ve also shortened my putting back stroke, not missing anything inside 10ft

Tommy Brown

midweek medal last night, the course was lying on it's back with it's legs up in the air, saying "give me your best big boy"

84-15 = 69 (css=69)

3x 3putt & 1x 4putt

:sob:

need more confidence when close to the green, never leave myself close enough.

playing Uphall seniors tomorrow and paired up with an old mate. he has been their club champion about a dozen times. 

i might be nervous wreck

hmfc_liam06
34 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

midweek medal last night, the course was lying on it's back with it's legs up in the air, saying "give me your best big boy"

84-15 = 69 (css=69)

3x 3putt & 1x 4putt

Sounds like how I've been playing this year. Tee to green working then falling apart on the greens.

Tommy Brown
On 6/20/2018 at 10:55, Victorian said:

Sounds contradictory.     One one hand you can elect to play a stroke from a water hazard.     On the other hand the club can deem certain objects to be immovable obstructions,  from which you would gain relief under no penalty.    Deeming a water hazard marker as an immovable obstruction in this instance would not allow relief and would(could) prevent a stroke being played from the hazard.     I don't think it would be fair to expect a player to drop under penalty when they would otherwise be able to elect to play it as it lies.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:47, Bigsmak said:

The stakes, under the rules are fixed and not classified as an obstruction. If you have a local rule declaring them as an obstruction, I think that they would be a movable obstruction as they can be moved easily unless the local rule says otherwise.  Do you have your local rules on a website? Might be worth reading. 

EG - https://www.gullanegolfclub.co.uk/local_rules 

Sources - 

From https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/Rules-of-Golf-Definitions

An "obstruction" is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured ice, except:

a. Objects defining out of bounds, such as walls, fences, stakes and railings;

b. Any part of an immovable artificial object that is out of bounds; and

c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing damage. Otherwise it is an immovable obstruction.

Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule declaring a movable obstruction to be an immovable obstruction.

first time back since I posted this, checked the card

4. Immovable Obstruction (Rule 24-2)

c) All marker posts ie Distance and Water Hazards

Some run on the ball yesterday. Ran right off the back of the green on a par 5 going driver > 9 iron. Ridiculous. :lol:

Great stuff.    This is when us moderate hitters benefit.    It can mean a transformation.     All the longer holes that were maybe out of reach or on the limit become well within range.     All the 6 iron and 5 iron approaches become wedges and sand irons.    It's just a matter of keeping it on the runway,   not playing any destructive shots and being tidy on the greens.     Easier said...

13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Said to my mate the other day, when he asked how far to the pin.

"180 yards. Take a pitching wedge." Says I.

"7iron." Says he...Can you guess who scored double bogey...?

Quite fun to play once you get the hang of it, with low punch runners, instead of normal moon balls. 

It took me a while. I was having a 'mare at +15 after 13 holes before finishing with 5 pars in a row.

Another big positive is not being compelled to lean on the tee shots.    If you're hitting it nicely you can slip into a tremendous zone of clipping them away.    But it's easy to then fall into the trap of leaning on them again.     Discipline Vic... discipline.

77-7=70. Buffer.     Mental game and I am ****ing mental.    Went from scoring shit to getting it back,  only to double 9.     Only a couple of lip out / on the lip putts away from shooting the lights out coming back.    35 going on 31.     

I need to be cold, bold from the outset but I have a mental block.    A ****ing idiot that keeps making the same mistakes 

hmfc_liam06

Absolutely superb day at Hilton Park, highly recommend it. The Hilton course the better of the 2.

Second place at our outing with 39 points.

The 295 yard drive I paggered was definitely one of the highlights of the day!

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

Topping it 120 yards, and watching it bounce down a tarmac fairway, doesn't constitute a "drive." Sorry, mate.

::troll::

?

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Barack said:

Topping it 120 yards, and watching it bounce down a tarmac fairway, doesn't constitute a "drive." Sorry, mate.

::troll::

:lol:

I've only played 4 medal rounds this season but there's a pattern going on and it's been going on for years for the most part.

42/37=79

40/36=76

41/36=77

42/35=77

21 over 4s for 36 holes going out.  Level 4s coming back.    Basically equating to being a 13 handicapper on the front 9 and 3 handicapper on the back.    Crazy.  I've gone out in 36 a couple of times in the same competition in the last two seasons, only to limp back in 38.   Typical.     

Played at Blairgowrie today in the golf in Scotland series events.  30 points playing of 4.. it's a very tight, tree lined course and if you don't hit it straight off the tee...  God help you.

Lovely course.. greens were brilliant.. 3 blobs due to... Not finding the fairway.... 

25 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Played at Blairgowrie today in the golf in Scotland series events.  30 points playing of 4.. it's a very tight, tree lined course and if you don't hit it straight off the tee...  God help you.

Lovely course.. greens were brilliant.. 3 blobs due to... Not finding the fairway.... 

I've played the Lansdowne but not the Rosemount.    Very challenging course but scoreable.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

NR today. First one in over 3 years or so. Pathetic stuff from start to finish. 

The new driving iron let you down? 

One thing I've never done in 23 years of competition golf is post a N/R. I've always suffered to the bitter end and had my pain published for all to see. 

I played the Fairmont Kittocks today in glorious sunshine and a light draught of wind... until the haar kept in half way around. At one point, I couldn't see more than 80 yards ahead. Hit and hope at times! 

50 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

One thing I've never done in 23 years of competition golf is post a N/R. I've always suffered to the bitter end and had my pain published for all to see. 

I played the Fairmont Kittocks today in glorious sunshine and a light draught of wind... until the haar kept in half way around. At one point, I couldn't see more than 80 yards ahead. Hit and hope at times! 

Hit that fine when I needed it, maybe should have used it more ! drove it as poor as I ever have with my driver/3 wood, putted terrible, pulling everything and picked it up on 14 . 

Off 3 now. 

Sympathies on the NR.    Nothing worse than the realisation that you're going to jump on the abort button.

I was very near to it on Saturday after half-shanking a sand iron after driving it to 30 yards off the 6th green.    When you're shooting off a foot on every hole it's quite depressing.    Ended up in the buffer and could have ended up getting cut.     A later meltdown is of course harder to correct.

Edited by Victorian

26 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sympathies on the NR.    Nothing worse than the realisation that you're going to jump on the abort button.

I was very near to it on Saturday after half-shanking a sand iron after driving it to 30 yards off the 6th green.    When you're shooting off a foot on every hole it's quite depressing.    Ended up in the buffer and could have ended up getting cut.     A later meltdown is of course harder to correct.

Aye i hate doing doing it, today was pissing me off no end, convinced my mate to do the same on 17 as he was heading for 90 odd, he did, I felt better ?. 

8 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Aye i hate doing doing it, today was pissing me off no end, convinced my mate to do the same on 17 as he was heading for 90 odd, he did, I felt better ?. 

:pleased: that's the game.  Drag someone else down to keep you company on the naughty step.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Remember playing there last year and the same thing happened. Pea soup on the back 9.

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Up n down it? 

Got out at the first attempt but two putt. I'll take that tbh :lol:

20 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Got out at the first attempt but two putt. I'll take that tbh :lol:

? . Rare occasion that I get up n down from a good lie tbh ?.

was out for some practice today and it was not as bad as yesterday, but still fairly shit! Got to the 16th and it was full of police cars and and ambulance, two lads found a man on the fairway, dead. Grim.

Samuel Camazzola

Has anyone got tickets for the Hero Challenge next Tuesday ahead of the Scottish Open? It's at Edinburgh Castle which is a bit different from the usual course set up but should be good. Beef and Cabrerra Bello signed up but I don't know if they'll have any celebrities too. 

51 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

? . Rare occasion that I get up n down from a good lie tbh ?.

was out for some practice today and it was not as bad as yesterday, but still fairly shit! Got to the 16th and it was full of police cars and and ambulance, two lads found a man on the fairway, dead. Grim.

Now that's what you call an NR.   :ninja:

:vrface:

Graeme McDowell has withdrawn from Open qualifying due to his bats going missing during a journey back from Paris.     Quite rightly he's citing the fact that he could never perform at his best with a different set.     It does make you wonder though whether players should have an 'identical' set made up and stored at any given time,    given that the expense of it is completely negligible.    Maybe some do.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Graeme McDowell has withdrawn from Open qualifying due to his bats going missing during a journey back from Paris.     Quite rightly he's citing the fact that he could never perform at his best with a different set.     It does make you wonder though whether players should have an 'identical' set made up and stored at any given time,    given that the expense of it is completely negligible.    Maybe some do.

He did say he has two additional chances to qualify by playing in the Irish and Scottish Opens respectively. I still would have thought Cleveland would have been able to have provided an additional set to his spec in time. 

11 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He did say he has two additional chances to qualify by playing in the Irish and Scottish Opens respectively. I still would have thought Cleveland would have been able to have provided an additional set to his spec in time. 

Qualifying would absolutely have been his best or better chance.     A player of McDowell's class.      I would have thought it would be standard practice to make up at least two sets for top players.     

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Qualifying would absolutely have been his best or better chance.     A player of McDowell's class.      I would have thought it would be standard practice to make up at least two sets for top players.     

The manufacturers trucks are always at the main tour events and I'm surprised they couldn't have been custom fitted and couriered straight to the qualifying course. It's The Open too - I thought he'd give it a shot with whatever he could get his hands on!

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The manufacturers trucks are always at the main tour events and I'm surprised they couldn't have been custom fitted and couriered straight to the qualifying course. It's The Open too - I thought he'd give it a shot with whatever he could get his hands on!

Even quicker than that.     The spec will be on file somewhere.

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Even quicker than that.     The spec will be on file somewhere.

Yeah, that's what I mean. His sponsor would have that info without the need for any input. 

John mcCartney

he`s at it surely tf

was over at leven for a game yest avo and the course has the burnt links look
greens are fast as well,so great to play in the conditions were having at the mo

hmfc_liam06
16 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

he`s at it surely tf

was over at leven for a game yest avo and the course has the burnt links look
greens are fast as well,so great to play in the conditions were having at the mo

Playing Lundin on Friday, should be a cracker!

1st gross and T1st h/c in a club foresomes yesterday.  70(64).     A couple of clown show bogeys early on but drained 4 birdie putts later,  one was a piss taker.     

Tommy Brown
On 6/28/2018 at 12:32, Tommy Brown said:

84-15 = 69 (css=69)

3x 3putt & 1x 4putt

:sob:

need more confidence when close to the green, never leave myself close enough.

playing Uphall seniors tomorrow and paired up with an old mate. he has been their club champion about a dozen times. 

i might be nervous wreck

another night of frustration last night, my putting has turned diabolical.

13 greens in regulation (including on the fringes), 3-putted 4 of them.

throw in a triple & 2x double.

82-15=67 (hopefully .6 reduction)

must have slid about 8 past the hole from within 6 feet, absolute guff.