Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

perfect night for a game in the Broomieknowe Seniors Open

41,41 -=82 (nett 69)

putted really poorly 9th-15th

a shot less would got me down to 12 and most likely a prize.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully a wee bit of end of season form creeping in. End of July/August I'd played poorly and got 3 0.1's in a row but two buffer zone rounds followed by a 39 point score last night got me 0.6 off. 

3 putt on 18 though...

23 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hopefully a wee bit of end of season form creeping in. End of July/August I'd played poorly and got 3 0.1's in a row but two buffer zone rounds followed by a 39 point score last night got me 0.6 off. 

3 putt on 18 though...

What is your home course , Liam.

You always seem away, here, there, everywhere.?

I get quite jealous reading your posts. I'm trying to catch more opens.

Falkirk Tryst, Burntisland and Ratho in the next fortnight. Only played Ratho before.

8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

What is your home course , Liam.

You always seem away, here, there, everywhere.?

I get quite jealous reading your posts. I'm trying to catch more opens.

Falkirk Tryst, Burntisland and Ratho in the next fortnight. Only played Ratho before.

I'm at Lochgelly in Fife. I've only actually played 3 opens this year. Tend to play scrambles and I run a society too so get regular games at different courses, usually an away round once a month.

Leading the 2day open at Ullapool by 4 shots going into tomorrow. Defending champion so I really want to defend it! 

Shot +2 72 today. 

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Leading the 2day open at Ullapool by 4 shots going into tomorrow. Defending champion so I really want to defend it! 

Shot +2 72 today. 

Stick in ?

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Shot +2 72 today. 

NR NAP :lol:

2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Shot +2 72 today. 

Just Google mapped it. Now added to my bucket list.

Imagine it being beautiful on calm Summers' day.

2nd looks good, 3 & 4 along the beach.

Does Ullapool do many days like these? :lol:

Good luck tomorrow. :thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just Google mapped it. Now added to my bucket list.

Imagine it being beautiful on calm Summers' day.

2nd looks good, 3 & 4 along the beach.

Does Ullapool do many days like these? :lol:

Good luck tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I’m a country member for 150 quid, bargain! it’s a great wee course was fair blowing today, my mate is the greenkeeper, he does a quality job on his own . 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

NR NAP :lol:

You gtf you ?

First game in 4 weeks yesterday. In that time something seems to have changed with maybe my swing/grip as I was blocking irons 20 yards right of where I was aiming. I was also frequently hitting the ball 10-20 yards longer than usual and flying over the back of the greens. Weird. Scoobied as to what has changed in my swing.

19 hours ago, Irufushi said:

I’m a country member for 150 quid, bargain! it’s a great wee course was fair blowing today, my mate is the greenkeeper, he does a quality job on his own . 

You gtf you ?

No update...

...can only mean one thing...

Medal.  76-7=69.    Mostly in the filthy rain.    I seem to play really steady stuff in the rain.   Might get a cut if the CSS goes up a notch.    2 sloppy bogeys but not much more than that.   Holed out like a good 'un.    

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No update...

...can only mean one thing...

Won  the scratch section by 12 shots ? . So ye can ram yer negativity ?. Shot 73, -2 , nett 71.

Here's a rules question golfers:

3 players play in a medal (name down on the time sheet etc etc), the results are posted and one of the players is missing from the results, when the cards are checked the 2 players that are listed on the results have signed each others cards, but the missing player, who definitely did play, is nowhere to be seen.  He was 100% seen on the course playing with his dad and their 'friend'.

What would happen in this case?  This happened at a guy in works course, the son needs his handicap to be below 4.4 for making it to Uni, which immediately rang alarm bells with me.

14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

3 players play in a medal (name down on the time sheet etc etc), the results are posted and one of the players is missing from the results, when the cards are checked the 2 players that are listed on the results have signed each others cards, but the missing player, who definitely did play, is nowhere to be seen.  He was 100% seen on the course playing with his dad and their 'friend'.

What would happen in this case?  This happened at a guy in works course, the son needs his handicap to be below 4.4 for making it to Uni, which immediately rang alarm bells with me.

Could be:

1.  Didn't enter the medal but played.

2.  Did enter but NR'ed during round and the cards were swapped around.

You would normally only swap cards mid-round if one player walks in.   But even then,  one player should sign for the scores he recorded on a card and the other should sign for the rest.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Could be:

1.  Didn't enter the medal but played.

2.  Did enter but NR'ed during round and the cards were swapped around.

You would normally only swap cards mid-round if one player walks in.   But even then,  one player should sign for the scores he recorded on a card and the other should sign for the rest.

So, point 2 he would go up 0.1? And should show on the results as an NR?

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

So, point 2 he would go up 0.1? And should show on the results as an NR?

Maybe the card hasn't been returned.   It might depend on how the cards are processed and when/if there is a reconciliation between entries and cards returned.   

To add..

You do go up 0.1 if you fail to return a card once entered.    Maybe the results in this club are posted before unreturned cards are discovered.     

You do not,  or should not,  go up 0.1 if you record your card as "retired injured".

5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

If the player has officially entered the competition i.e. been issued with an official scorecard and registered to play,(name on sheet does not equate to official entry), then if no card is returned then its treated as a DQ and +0.1 applied.

Hope that helps.

No CSS adjustment therefore no cut.    Bugger.    Having looked at the data it must have been quite close.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Made In Denmark begins today. One of the best events on the European Tour played on a cracking course. It also has the extra buzz this year as final European Ryder Cup automatic slot is decided. Olesen, Pepperell or Fitzpatrick can secure it this Sunday. If Olesen doesn't get the 8th spot, I'd say he is a cert for a pick anyhow. 

Likely be Pieters, Poulter and Stenson to get other places IMO. 

On 30/08/2018 at 08:51, Samuel Camazzola said:

Made In Denmark begins today. One of the best events on the European Tour played on a cracking course. It also has the extra buzz this year as final European Ryder Cup automatic slot is decided. Olesen, Pepperell or Fitzpatrick can secure it this Sunday. If Olesen doesn't get the 8th spot, I'd say he is a cert for a pick anyhow. 

Likely be Pieters, Poulter and Stenson to get other places IMO. 

Not sure whether he is truly in consideration, but Russell Knox is also currently sitting T2 at the Dell Technologies in the US. He also finished T2 at the French Open earlier this year Le Golf National. Could be an outside pick? 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Manny1874 said:

Not sure whether he is truly in consideration, but Russell Knox is also currently sitting T2 at the Dell Technologies in the US. He also finished T2 at the French Open earlier this year Le Golf National. Could be an outside pick? 

He's definitely in the mix. I feel Olesen is a pick if he doesn't secure the 8th spot. Stenson has been troubled with fitness issues lately and will be hoping it doesn't worsen. Poulter will be a cert. On form, Knox probably leads the list from Rafa, Casey and Fitzpatrick. Pepperell has been in impressive form lately but will Bjorn be looking for experience given that quite a few rookies have automatically qualified? 

Garcia and Kaymer look like they'll sit this one out. 

For the US, Woods and De Chambeau are certs. Mickelson almost there. 4th pick up for grabs! 

32 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He's definitely in the mix. I feel Olesen is a pick if he doesn't secure the 8th spot. Stenson has been troubled with fitness issues lately and will be hoping it doesn't worsen. Poulter will be a cert. On form, Knox probably leads the list from Rafa, Casey and Fitzpatrick. Pepperell has been in impressive form lately but will Bjorn be looking for experience given that quite a few rookies have automatically qualified? 

Garcia and Kaymer look like they'll sit this one out. 

For the US, Woods and De Chambeau are certs. Mickelson almost there. 4th pick up for grabs! 

Agree on Olesen, and Poulter is definitely getting a pick. All the coverage I am seeing has Stenson as a certainty but I'd be wary taking anyone who is carrying any injury.

I'd probably add Pieters as a late dark horse for a potential pick to your list, but he might need to win this weekend to get the pick. His chemistry with Rory certainly helps him. 

I like Eddie but not sure I'd take him with a limited track record, and even though he has a great track record Sergio needs to be at home for this one. 

US is pretty straightforward yeah, Tiger, DeChambeau, and Phil for sure. Then maybe Finau based on form. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Manny1874 said:

Agree on Olesen, and Poulter is definitely getting a pick. All the coverage I am seeing has Stenson as a certainty but I'd be wary taking anyone who is carrying any injury.

I'd probably add Pieters as a late dark horse for a potential pick to your list, but he might need to win this weekend to get the pick. His chemistry with Rory certainly helps him. 

I like Eddie but not sure I'd take him with a limited track record, and even though he has a great track record Sergio needs to be at home for this one. 

US is pretty straightforward yeah, Tiger, DeChambeau, and Phil for sure. Then maybe Finau based on form. 

Sergio would be a good addition to the vice captains. 

It's going to be superb. Its coming home!

Samuel Camazzola

Olesen secured the final automatic spot today. Bjorn has big choices this week and some performances will be giving him and his vice captains more to think about. 

Poulter is in - no doubt. With Wallace securing his third win this season, he is in the mix. Three from Pieters, Fitzpatrick, Stenson, Knox, Wallace, Cabrerra Bello and Casey. 

Samuel Camazzola

It's a tough one with the decision coming on Wednesday and a group of players still involved in the FedEx who could go on and show real form in the next couple of events. 

So, Friday I had the joy of playing Kingsbarns. Easily the toughest course I’ve played.  Dare I say it was worth the £134 :)

You get given these special 'wind tees' says it all about the weather they experience there, we played with a slight breeze and a 15:40 tee time.  The course was immaculate and the views were stunning.  All the holes were beautiful but nothing really prepared us for the landscape as we walked from the 11th green to the 12th tee, a spectacular par 5, then their version of the postage stamp.  Honestly, I cannot believe something so beautiful is an hour from home.  This photo is taken from the tee of the par 3 looking back up the par 5 12th.

11AD8B8E-F866-4499-BE87-D8F4EBD47102.jpeg

Edited by Armageddon

44 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Between that and Trump International at the top of my bucket list. 

I've played both twice, Trump is spectacular, every hole you've got the camera out, but Kingsbarns is an exceptional golf course, the green run offs, the fairway bunkers, the rough is brutal.

I'll be going back next year 100%, I played pretty well, I was 85 off the 6500y green tees, I had 2 triples and a double which didn't help.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I've played both twice, Trump is spectacular, every hole you've got the camera out, but Kingsbarns is an exceptional golf course, the green run offs, the fairway bunkers, the rough is brutal.

I'll be going back next year 100%, I played pretty well, I was 85 off the 6500y green tees, I had 2 triples and a double which didn't help.

It's quite interesting you reckon that it was tough. My ex-boss and mate have both played it and reckoned it was a very golfer friendly course. I wonder if it's down to them getting the course ready for the Dunhill?

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's quite interesting you reckon that it was tough. My ex-boss and mate have both played it and reckoned it was a very golfer friendly course. I wonder if it's down to them getting the course ready for the Dunhill?

It’s friendly in that you can walk anywhere in spikes!!! And they give you tees to stop the wind blowing your ball off the tee, after that your pin sheet and course guide are your 2 best friends!!!

It’s also easy if your ping drives off the first like my mate did - only 341 yards!! And he’s off 11!!!

8140CD55-1DE4-445C-BE05-81F92341A76C.jpeg

John mcCartney

consider moving to kinsbarns village......you can obtain a membership that way altho iirc you only have playing rights for 6 months of the year

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

consider moving to kinsbarns village......you can obtain a membership that way altho iirc you only have playing rights for 6 months of the year

I heard they were extending season opening period until mid November now. 

Before I chat about what I was here to post about - greatest ball find ever at Kingsbarns - I found a ProV with the Medinah Country Club logo ... talk about a 'keeper'

So, TIGER WOODS IS IN DA HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a team the Yanks have, strongest ever?  Hard to argue against.

That Medinah ball - I'm going to write 'Never Give Up' and throw it to one of the European team in Paris!! :)

6 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Before I chat about what I was here to post about - greatest ball find ever at Kingsbarns - I found a ProV with the Medinah Country Club logo ... talk about a 'keeper'

So, TIGER WOODS IS IN DA HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What a team the Yanks have, strongest ever?  Hard to argue against.

That Medinah ball - I'm going to write 'Never Give Up' and throw it to one of the European team in Paris!! :)

Somebody found a good condition old 1.62" Dunlop 65 at my club recently.    In some not so bad rough in a stand of trees just off a fairway.    

On 03/09/2018 at 11:05, Armageddon said:

So, Friday I had the joy of playing Kingsbarns. Easily the toughest course I’ve played.  Dare I say it was worth the £134 :)

You get given these special 'wind tees' says it all about the weather they experience there, we played with a slight breeze and a 15:40 tee time.  The course was immaculate and the views were stunning.  All the holes were beautiful but nothing really prepared us for the landscape as we walked from the 11th green to the 12th tee, a spectacular par 5, then their version of the postage stamp.  Honestly, I cannot believe something so beautiful is an hour from home.  This photo is taken from the tee of the par 3 looking back up the par 5 12th.

11AD8B8E-F866-4499-BE87-D8F4EBD47102.jpeg

Absolutely fantastic golf course with spectacular views.

Managed a hole in one at the 2nd when I played it a few years ago. You even get a signed certificate with a picture of the hole.

Class place.

How do you guys recommend getting some self belief into my game? 

I'm off 4, can hit the ball pretty well and when I play with other good golfers they recon I could be a scratch player... I just sometimes on tees, or on approaches .. or putts... feck.. in all parts of my game go conservative and try to protect things rather than just hitting the ball (which is something i can do) ... so will take 4 irons off a tee, or try to hit a 4/5 driver or something when there is trouble off the fairway.... Usually this goes completely wrong - 

How do I make that switch of thinking .. oh yea, I guess that was OK - to .... I can knock this into 2 feet and get a birdie on every shot? ... Any suggestions? 

This sounds like a mindset of fatality.    I've encountered it.     You stand over certain shots (irons and chips with me) and say "so I'll **** this up... I wonder how".      Resigned to ****-ups.     When I'm playing well it disappears.     It mostly happens if the pressure comes on by a ropey start (medal or tie).     Scoreboard pressure/comfort can be influential.     

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

I'm off 4, can hit the ball pretty well and when I play with other good golfers they recon I could be a scratch player... I just sometimes on tees, or on approaches .. or putts... feck.. in all parts of my game go conservative and try to protect things rather than just hitting the ball (which is something i can do) ... so will take 4 irons off a tee, or try to hit a 4/5 driver or something when there is trouble off the fairway.... Usually this goes completely wrong - 

How do I make that switch of thinking .. oh yea, I guess that was OK - to .... I can knock this into 2 feet and get a birdie on every shot? ... Any suggestions? 

Watch Happy Gilmour and go to a 'Happy Place'. ?

3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Wait, you’re off 4 and need convincing of your ability??!!  Sound like you play to a game plan that isn’t all about booming drivers.

On that subject, I’d sit down and write an ideal course plan for your home course and aim to play to that, that will show you you have the ability to play your way round as planned and not just play one shot at a time.  I’d say your confidence would grow from knowing you have a plan in place.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone played Dundonald? Going to take a trip over later this month.

Played it a number of times, good track, tough course in places, with a number of very good holes.

Struggled in the past with condition of greens but have now got that sorted.

Well worth a visit in my opinion.

Enjoy.

15 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Love the quote - "golf is 90% mental,and the other 10% is in your head". I play off a similar handicap and find problems when you are not fully committed to a shot, or have negative thoughts.

Only think in positives i.e. if you are taking a 4 iron be positive about that choice, and don't think its a negative choice.

Its like saying to yourself "I don't want to go out of bounds,and guess what happens. Instead pick where you do want to go, and commit to that shot.

Good luck and stay positive.