Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

That was me!! :)  I’m definitely longer and more consistent.

It definitely seems to be helping.

Also helps that I'm getting some cracking results with that driver you sold me. I've gone from not even having one in the bag to it being one of my most reliable clubs,

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It definitely seems to be helping.

Also helps that I'm getting some cracking results with that driver you sold me. I've gone from not even having one in the bag to it being one of my most reliable clubs,

Glad to hear it!!!  My mate that’s a Pro was saying its just a simple adding of some strength to the legs that makes a quick difference 

Another cut today hopefully, net 66 with SSS 67, so hopefully CSS stays there, with the wind I can't see it being any lower.

19.6 to 17.2 over the last 4 weeks.

59 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Another cut today hopefully, net 66 with SSS 67, so hopefully CSS stays there, with the wind I can't see it being any lower.

Well played ?

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Well played ?

Cheers man, happy with where it's going. 2.7 off the handicap this year with one more competition to go, next Sunday. Had set a target of 18 by the end of this season, delighted to be in with a, albeit slim, chance of getting to 16.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

On 30/09/2018 at 18:03, hmfc_liam06 said:

Well done Liam!!!

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Well done Liam!!!

Cheers mate. One last push this weekend to get into the 16 odds. Won't get off 16 but 16.9 would be a bonus!

Played Archerfield Fidra the other day.    Cracking course.    Challenging but playable.     You can score there if playing decent.      You can get your breeks whipped doon if not.      I'll play it again.

On 03/10/2018 at 22:43, Walter Bishop said:

Anyone know where you can get Hearts headcovers for woods/Driver? Or even maroon and white ones?

Is it just me, I find the idea of club badges on head covers rank rotten.

By all means find maroon ones, but keep football away from golf.

Snobby golf bore rant over.

Edited by Tommy Brown

20 hours ago, Victorian said:

Played Archerfield Fidra the other day.    Cracking course.    Challenging but playable.     You can score there if playing decent.      You can get your breeks whipped doon if not.      I'll play it again.

If you go back try the Dirleton, much more links like, lots of gorse,a real good test,greens are usually better.

Competition year is over for me.  Just been reviewing some data.

9 medals played.

79/76/77/77/80/78/76/81/81

A 1 shot improvement here and there (4 of the rounds) would have made a 0.6 improvement on the handicap.   The tightest of margins between a disappointing season overall and a decent overall cut.    This is why I'm often fuming at silly errors and bad luck because I'm always on the margin of getting a cut or getting into the buffer.

Birdies 5 (horrific)

Par 79

Bogey 69 

Double 8 (could do with being halved)

TB 0

QB 1 (1 crazy hole)

Maybe I'll enjoy the transition over to the averages based handicap system.   No more scrapping around on the margin.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Competition year is over for me.  Just been reviewing some data.

9 medals played.

79/76/77/77/80/78/76/81/81

A 1 shot improvement here and there (4 of the rounds) would have made a 0.6 improvement on the handicap.   The tightest of margins between a disappointing season overall and a decent overall cut.    This is why I'm often fuming at silly errors and bad luck because I'm always on the margin of getting a cut or getting into the buffer.

Birdies 5 (horrific)

Par 79

Bogey 69 

Double 8 (could do with being halved)

TB 0

QB 1 (1 crazy hole)

Maybe I'll enjoy the transition over to the averages based handicap system.   No more scrapping around on the margin.

Does your CSS usually stick to around 68/69 or drop lower? 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Does your CSS usually stick to around 68/69 or drop lower? 

Mostly 69. Goes to 68 every so often and rises slightly less often.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Mostly 69. Goes to 68 every so often and rises slightly less often.

When I was at Liberton a few years back, 65 was a regular CSS. Course par is 67 so decent cuts became tough to get. 

20 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

When I was at Liberton a few years back, 65 was a regular CSS. Course par is 67 so decent cuts became tough to get. 

Indeed.    I suppose it can go in cycles though.    

Getting a bit of distance and being able to pitch well and chip AT ALL would help.     Thankfully I can hole out otherwise those figures would look much worse.

glad you've brought this up about css.

I like to play away at opens and seems very common now for away players css to be 2 strokes higher.

i cannot fathom this out, surely that is what handicaps are all about. why am I getting more? (gladly taking them BTW, as I am getting buffer and the odd cut)

Delighted with my year. Went from a high of 19.9 to a low of 17.2.

Pretty consistent throughout the year at my home course:

66/68/66/67/68/65/74/72/65/66/63/68 and two NR's.

CSS has generally been 66 or 67. Usually 66 when I've played really well :lol:

16 comps/opens this season,around 4 were at my home course (css nips me as it’s constantly dipping 2 below the par) .

anyway made buffer or better 7 times, best score -4 which salvaged my season, started at 2.1 went up to 2.5 and finished the season at 2.2. Won around 400 in vouchers so that was nice. Wanted to get to 1 but wasn’t to be! 

15.0 to 12.9

Got to be pleased, but I know I should be 12. Let so many chances slip by.

Develop a short game from close to the green and I can target 11 next season.

20-30 yards from the pin and taking 3 shots.

Really enjoying my golf again.

HeinzTomatoSoup

From the start of June i was given my first ever handicap of 29, now currently down at 22. My target was 20 but made loads of errors which prevented me from breaking 90. on various occasions

One more medal to go this weekend so hopefully get cut again.

Looking forward to next year.

Mixed season. Missed my goal of scratch by 0.1 before going back up to 0.9 which is pretty annoying. Not played a great deal the past couple months so strokeplay  medals recently have been pretty poor. 

Highlights were setting a new PB round my home course and beating a +3 player 6&5 the other day in a scratch comp. 

Winter league to keep some sort of swing going through the winter but other than that I'm not feeling too fussed. 

Disser Pointon
On 13/10/2018 at 08:00, Bigsmak said:

Playing the Ailsa at trump turnberry this morning.. is a bit 'damp' but luckily, the wind has dropped.. 

Rained off was it not? I played it last Friday in superb conditions and have to admit it was magnificent, leapfrogged Kingsbarns as my favourite track. Feel sorry for all the guys who didn't play on the Friday because conditions on the other days have been poor.

we managed 6 holes.. was level par playing really well- but some holes were under water. 

Played Kilspindie today - Shot a 63 scratch with 2 bogies, 6 birdies and an eagle.  back 9 was 28 shots!   I have never done that before and can only dream to do it again.  Playing pretty well right now! 

4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

we managed 6 holes.. was level par playing really well- but some holes were under water. 

Played Kilspindie today - Shot a 63 scratch with 2 bogies, 6 birdies and an eagle.  back 9 was 28 shots!   I have never done that before and can only dream to do it again.  Playing pretty well right now! 

Some shooting 

Do you get a replay at Trump?

The ones today should have had it good.

17 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Tidy!  Been lucky to play Kilspindie loads this season, where was the eagle?  Love that 3 hole stretch of 2/3/4, then 6 and 7 are great leading up to the amazing par 3 8th, 10/11 are magic then 16 is the next highlight for me.

Shame the clubhouse is one of the more unwelcoming in golf, the wee blonde woman that runs the food is top class and the food is great too, but the bar staff and pro seem to hate life and the pure oxygen they breathe.

So I buy the Titleist 917 driver yesterday, Auchterlonies had them down to £249 with the shaft I wanted.  Clubs for Cash have a load advertised today for £149, not sure of the shaft options but many are immaculate ... can't be f**ked with the hassle of returning to St A then driving to Bilston.  Great deal if anybody is on the hunt.

Edited by Armageddon

stuartmitchell

Has anyone done lessons using trackman or equivalent? We have a simulator installed at Ratho now!

As an aside Summer Doubles Winners for me and my mate on Monday night. Total slog in that wind and not enjoyable in the slightest.

William H. Bonney

Being playing golf for nearly 30 years and the one thing that consistently lets me down is my slice. It's can be horrific. 

For the 1st I can remember I played a round today and had not one slice. 

A simple adjustment to my grip and ball address seems to have rectified it. 

Hopefully the dawn of a new era. 

After buying the 917 driver I traded in my

old 915 driver and 3 wood against the matching 3 wood plus chaged my hybrid shaft ... JESUS!! What a difference ... 20g difference in the hybrid shaft and 10g on the 3 wood ... never hit them as long or straight and that’s only on 100 range baws

On 25/10/2018 at 15:31, Dino Velvet said:

Being playing golf for nearly 30 years and the one thing that consistently lets me down is my slice. It's can be horrific. 

For the 1st I can remember I played a round today and had not one slice. 

A simple adjustment to my grip and ball address seems to have rectified it. 

Hopefully the dawn of a new era. 

How did the next round go :lol:

William H. Bonney
36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

How did the next round go :lol:

I haven't played yet but no doubt it will be something like this. 

Anyone come across some good winter deals?

Found a few so far:

Wester Gailes £160 for a fourball

Scotscraig £100 for a fourball including bacon roll

Ladybank £100 for a fourball

I've played 2 years now.. met a lot of good people and played some great courses.. also... Your can spread the cost over several months so you don't even notice it. 

Recently just started playing. Neighbor was getting a new set of clubs so he gave me his old ones for free and we try play a Saturday morning if I'm not away. Can get to the greens fine, driving and iron work is not too bad but my putting is dreadful. Seem to over hit it or really under hit it, there's no in between.

1 minute ago, TheStig said:

Recently just started playing. Neighbor was getting a new set of clubs so he gave me his old ones for free and we try play a Saturday morning if I'm not away. Can get to the greens fine, driving and iron work is not too bad but my putting is dreadful. Seem to over hit it or really under hit it, there's no in between.

If I was you I'd keep the putter in the house over winter - 3 baws and putt to 3 different distances, 1 ball to 3ft, then 6ft, then 9ft, honestly do this for even 15 minutes a night ... plus also 3 balls stopping them as close to the skirting as you can.  You need to build up that feel of control.

Good luck!!

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

If I was you I'd keep the putter in the house over winter - 3 baws and putt to 3 different distances, 1 ball to 3ft, then 6ft, then 9ft, honestly do this for even 15 minutes a night ... plus also 3 balls stopping them as close to the skirting as you can.  You need to build up that feel of control.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give that a try.

5 hours ago, TheStig said:

You tube is your friend... There are literally hundreds of videos on how to improve your putting. 

Personally..I recommend videos from me and my golf. Who do loads of great tips... 

1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

You tube is your friend... There are literally hundreds of videos on how to improve your putting. 

Personally..I recommend videos from me and my golf. Who do loads of great tips... 

If you have videos throw them my way. I'm on the green and 8/10 times I'm putting for par. End up with a double bogey. So frustrating

40 minutes ago, TheStig said:

If you have videos throw them my way. I'm on the green and 8/10 times I'm putting for par. End up with a double bogey. So frustrating

They have lots and lots and lots of videos from driving to chipping etc -  - go to their channel and spend time there - they have loads of putting videos

Edited by Bigsmak

30 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

They have lots and lots and lots of videos from driving to chipping etc -  - go to their channel and spend time there - they have loads of putting videos

Cheers mate

Samuel Camazzola
19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Good luck!!

These are good drills. Also try these but putt with one hand to gain a feel for the stroke. Your tempo should ALWAYS remain the same. The only thing that should change is the length of the putting stroke. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

These are good drills. Also try these but putt with one hand to gain a feel for the stroke. Your tempo should ALWAYS remain the same. The only thing that should change is the length of the putting stroke. 

Had an absolute shocker of a putt on Sunday there - probably around a 10 footer. Knew the backswing was far too hot and rather than pull out of the shot, completely decelerated and the ball must have moved about 2 feet :lol: