Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The more bounce, the more the leading edge of the blade sits up. Not ideal for nice tight lies as increases the chances of skulling the ball. 

Ideal for bunker play, and cutting through lush juicy lies or rough. 

Yeah all the rule-of-thumb stuff seems fine and makes sense but I say that it goes out the window sometimes because of variable ground conditions.    You could easily get half a dozen different types of lie in a round.     I prefer to allow variation in address to suit the shot.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah all the rule-of-thumb stuff seems fine and makes sense but I say that it goes out the window sometimes because of variable ground conditions.    You could easily get half a dozen different types of lie in a round.     I prefer to allow variation in address to suit the shot.

True. Some pros will no doubt carry four wedges as they'll be tuned in to how the technology performs. Seve probably had one wedge most of the time and created shot making from pure feel. 

42 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

RTX 2 or 3s? The 4s have just been released and look classy. 

Nah they were older than that, possibly 588 rtx? Or similar, I think.

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

True. Some pros will no doubt carry four wedges as they'll be tuned in to how the technology performs. Seve probably had one wedge most of the time and created shot making from pure feel. 

Yep.  Genius.

I mind playing about a full season without a wedge in my bag after it broke when it a tree got in it's way.    Playing splash shots out of bunkers with a 9 iron is fun.    

I have a Tad Moore sandblaster wedge in the loft.    Sole about 3 inches broad.    Might bung that in the bag for when tormented by the catboxes.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Nah they were older than that, possibly 588 rtx? Or similar, I think.

Is it PXG that have wedges ranging from £350 to £775 a CLUB? Crazy stuff and they don't look nice. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is it PXG that have wedges ranging from £350 to £775 a CLUB? Crazy stuff and they don't look nice. 

Aye, their putters are 750 quid . Sure a driving iron from them is the same price. Mental. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Look at this ?

5BBFA622-C031-4A2F-A1BD-BC51FBB6056B.png

What would the price of a tour bag be? The guy Parsons is a billionaire who gives millions away to charity but this golf business surely cannot be operating a profit. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What would the price of a tour bag be? The guy Parsons is a billionaire who gives millions away to charity but this golf business surely cannot be operating a profit. 

Must be making a huge loss I’d imagine. Not many people can afford golf clubs in that price range. 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Irufushi said:

Must be making a huge loss I’d imagine. Not many people can afford golf clubs in that price range. 

You've got to have been gifted one or be very very good if you have the money to purchase their clubs. You can't be rocking up with one of them in hand to be duffing it down the fairway. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

That's two years club subs and a month on the piss.    

Putnam won on the US tour last week with a cheap 3 Wood in the bag. Stenson won the Open with an old Callaway 3 wood that Sports Direct were selling. Whatever works off the tee. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Putnam won on the US tour last week with a cheap 3 Wood in the bag. Stenson won the Open with an old Callaway 3 wood that Sports Direct were selling. Whatever works off the tee. 

Definitely.   One of the top players at my club uses a 20 odd year old 1-iron for most tee shots.   Even from the fairway.    You could shave with this thing.    

Open at my home club today, out early, shot -4 round for a 65 , nett 62. Will get back to 2 handicap again ?. Also had the longest drive , but a long way to go for that to hold out. 

Samuel Camazzola

Well done. 

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Open at my home club today, out early, shot -4 round for a 65 , nett 62. Will get back to 2 handicap again ?. Also had the longest drive , but a long way to go for that to hold out. 

Well done. No doubt some 22 handicap bandit will score a net 56 at some stage. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

26 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Well done. 

Well done. No doubt some 22 handicap bandit will score a net 56 at some stage. 

Should win the scratch section unless someone goes crazy low ! 

8 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Tremendous.    Great golf right there 

I am sweating on the CSS.   78-7=71.

Sloppy stuff including a shank.   Had to fully commit to a wedge and then 52 degree after that.    Slightly scary.

33 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Tremendous.    Great golf right there 

I am sweating on the CSS.   78-7=71.

Sloppy stuff including a shank.   Had to fully commit to a wedge and then 52 degree after that.    Slightly scary.

The old HOZZLE ROCKET ? had one last week when I played a bounce game at Spey valley, 6 iron . Such a penetrating flight!!!

won the open, fair few 67 gross scores and a 66 was posted . Point 5 cut, like gold dust at my level, for me anyway! 

10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Outstanding. Well done.

tenor.gif?itemid=5365596

If I ever get a sniff of a score like that one day I'll die a happy man. :lol:

12 hours ago, Irufushi said:

The old HOZZLE ROCKET ? had one last week when I played a bounce game at Spey valley, 6 iron . Such a penetrating flight!!!

won the open, fair few 67 gross scores and a 66 was posted . Point 5 cut, like gold dust at my level, for me anyway! 

Yeah that's a huge cut for your h/c.    That will keep you going for a while.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yeah that's a huge cut for your h/c.    That will keep you going for a while.

Well done on getting buffer ?

Yea, that should keep me at 2 for the rest of the season, 2.0 now. 

Heres my scorecard from yesterday

A70B3952-A785-44E7-B58E-588B41C7BB1D.png

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

8 threes and a two.   Jings.      Wish I could get 6 birdies in a medal round.     I think the best I've done is 4 in 30 years or so.   Lol.

Birdies are just way too rare these days.    I've had 3 in the 6 medals I've played this season.    Doubles count is rising too.   7 of them including 2 in each of the last two medals.    Thankfully the pars are quite a bit ahead of the bogeys.

No cuts this year.   Only one +0.1 and that was damn near rescued by a lip out at the 18th.     It's a grind.

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

8 threes and a two.   Jings.      Wish I could get 6 birdies in a medal round.     I think the best I've done is 4 in 30 years or so.   Lol.

Birdies are just way too rare these days.    I've had 3 in the 6 medals I've played this season.    Doubles count is rising too.   7 of them including 2 in each of the last two medals.    Thankfully the pars are quite a bit ahead of the bogeys.

No cuts this year.   Only one +0.1 and that was damn near rescued by a lip out at the 18th.     It's a grind.

A cut will come, the fact you have only gone up one suggests you can’t be far away.

Needed a birdie up the last to beat my personal best , had a 65 round my course last year as well. Had decent birdie putts on 1,3,5 and 8 too, should have holed my putt on 8 , lipped out from around 6ft, just a tad too much borrow with the pace I hit it at and it lipped out. 

Just now, Irufushi said:

A cut will come, the fact you have only gone up one suggests you can’t be far away.

Needed a birdie up the last to beat my personal best , had a 65 round my course last year as well. Had decent birdie putts on 1,3,5 and 8 too, should have holed my putt on 8 , lipped out from around 6ft, just a tad too much borrow with the pace I hit it at and it lipped out. 

Sounds like some round.    It would have been nice if you had birdied the last for your PB but also to have 32 out and back.    

William H. Bonney
4 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Don't want to wax your ego but is that score close to a course record? 

8 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Don't want to wax your ego but is that score close to a course record? 

Think the course record is 63. 

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Still, awesome scoring. 

Never realised the average score for golf in Britain is over 100 strokes, 5% getting par another 20 % from 

70 to 80 , and my bracket 90 to 100 , 20 %, , i need to play more.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

There's no way 5% of scores are level par.   More like 2%.

Google it Vic, its what they say , mind you could be less as you say,   i felt chuffed as my scores o 85 , 

91 , 93 are not too bad.

:yas:

blob free round, midweek medal. 78-14 -64 (69 css) down to 12.8

3x Birdies, 4x pars, 11x bogeys.

Out in +3. Stayed calm after 6 bogeys on back nine, finshed birdie, par, par.

Samuel Camazzola

Snedeker has scored a 59 at the Wyndham Championship today. - 11.

He bogeyed his first hole but posted 10 birdies and an eagle. Impressive stuff! 

31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Snedeker has scored a 59 at the Wyndham Championship today. - 11.

He bogeyed his first hole but posted 10 birdies and an eagle. Impressive stuff! 

Was watching it live, some putt he holed for the 59! Only just missed his birdie putt on 17 too. 

On 12/08/2018 at 13:53, Irufushi said:

Are we increasing my cut to 20%??!!! ???

Well dome, thats unreal shooting ??

57 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

24 hours after a super 78, I rattle up 92 at Shotts seniors open..

1x +4, 1x +3 & 3x DB. Short putts missed all over

:sob:

If the greens were as bad as the time I was there then I wouldn't look into it too much. Shite hole.

11 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Are we increasing my cut to 20%??!!! ???

Well dome, thats unreal shooting ??

Cheers pal ?

? Collected 265 quids worth in that last 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Cheers pal ?

? Collected 265 quids worth in that last 3 weeks. 

hahaha you've paid for then over the last 2 seasons!!!  Well done.

Guess The Crowd
On 08/07/2018 at 18:09, Irufushi said:

we were out at 08:30, I put my 2 iron pin high on 8 and in the ditch on 17! Got breezy alright! 

Seniors Open yesterday on home course, par 70 SSS 70 (except it's SSS 69 off yellow tees which were operational).

Me, net 70 off 5, quite happy.

SSS 68 for home players, 72 for away players.

Me, not happy.....

12 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Seniors Open yesterday on home course, par 70 SSS 70 (except it's SSS 69 off yellow tees which were operational).

Me, net 70 off 5, quite happy.

SSS 68 for home players, 72 for away players.

Me, not happy.....

? that’s a big gap between css’ ! 

Guess The Crowd
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

? that’s a big gap between css’ ! 

Indeed. Two separate computer calculations I think, each based on proportion in the buffer-zone.

Clearly a high proportion of home players achieved this, but there were a few decent away scores too.

Can't get my head round it, seems most unfair!