Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

58 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

another night of frustration last night, my putting has turned diabolical.

13 greens in regulation (including on the fringes), 3-putted 4 of them.

throw in a triple & 2x double.

82-15=67 (hopefully .6 reduction)

must have slid about 8 past the hole from within 6 feet, absolute guff.

Putting really does separate the men from the boys, I’m most definitely in the boys camp !

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

T1 gross and 2nd h/c in home 'outing' for the club's secondary club.    71-7=64 off front tees.    

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Looks cracking, Liam ? 

The Nairn tomorrow,  can’t wait! 

Barely any green grass anywhere other than the greens. Putted from 60 yards on the 18th...no, it didn't go in :lol:

Enjoy Nairn, it's on my hit list.

Longhirst Hall next away course for me on the 21st.

Gullane is looking fabulous for the Scottish open. The greens are in the best condition I've seen them in for years and they are usually great. It's up to the SGU how fast they want them but they could easily stimp them at 11 or higher (will probably be about 8 it something). The fairways are proper links after the last few weeks of sun.. 

The course is scoreable but there will be some unfair bounces that the pros may not expect resulting in bunkers etc  Should be an interesting tournament and even more so if the wind picks up... 

Edited by Bigsmak
Spelling

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Barely any green grass anywhere other than the greens. Putted from 60 yards on the 18th...no, it didn't go in :lol:

Enjoy Nairn, it's on my hit list.

Longhirst Hall next away course for me on the 21st.

78 for me so should get buffer, course was brilliant, greens are so pure. Could not hole a thing from inside 15ft, then holed a 40 footer on 16 for birdie. **** YOU PUTTING! :lol: 

playing it again tomorrow as I’m getting signed on by a mate. Happy days. 

hmfc_liam06
28 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

78 for me so should get buffer, course was brilliant, greens are so pure. Could not hole a thing from inside 15ft, then holed a 40 footer on 16 for birdie. **** YOU PUTTING! :lol: 

It's been absolutely superb for golf this year, hopefully the courses are making hay after the winter we had.

July medal tomorrow, nothing on today. Hopefully make a show of it.

After weeks of mediocre nonsense I finally holed a few birdie putts last night in a match away to Kelso. 5 birds, an eagle and 3 bogeys and I got beat 2 down :laugh4:

best of if it was the greens weren’t the best so it was just ramming the putts into the back of the hole. Very little thought was going into the putts, which confirms it’s all in my head! 

Medal tomorrow.     Hopefully convert recent good form into a medal score and a cut.      Another 71 would do nicely and Friday's was not a waste because it's different tees.     Different tees = different course essentially.     There was a time when I would have worried about a wasted round but I don't bother my arse anymore.     It's just tremendous to be playing golf in all this great weather and in such fiery conditions.     Would like to take advantage though and knock a lump off the h/c.      

Tommy Brown

Just back from Carnwath open

Level par off 14

+11 front nine, +3 back nine

+3 @9th killed me, good back nine and had the cheek to DB @ 17

3x DB & 1TB no birdies, played decent. just a couple of silly holes.

Edit: so annoyed not to get another cut.

Funny old game, played with a 1 HC, he was -2 after nine and could have been a couple better.

but he was about +7 for the back 9. The other played of 11 and  had a 78 net.

I found the conditions easy on the back 9, drive steady and a wedge onto the green.

Edited by Tommy Brown

The Mighty Thor
On 7/7/2018 at 11:39, Bigsmak said:

Gullane is looking fabulous for the Scottish open. The greens are in the best condition I've seen them in for years and they are usually great. It's up to the SGU how fast they want them but they could easily stimp them at 11 or higher (will probably be about 8 it something). The fairways are proper links after the last few weeks of sun.. 

The course is scoreable but there will be some unfair bounces that the pros may not expect resulting in bunkers etc  Should be an interesting tournament and even more so if the wind picks up... 

I was hearing chat of greens running at 10 or so for the tournament. Sounds fair enough. 

hmfc_liam06

Looks superb! Really need to get up there.

Handicap round for me today which was disappointing given a good run of form. 3 off the tee on 4/5/6 killed any hopes.

Guess The Crowd
On 07/07/2018 at 13:13, Irufushi said:

That's quite interesting. I'm a member at Nairn, and although I once had a very good round in the King Trophy, I didn't play yesterday.

Flicking through the scores, I do see a Dalmahoy member amongst the net 78s?!

Just now, Guess The Crowd said:

That's quite interesting. I'm a member at Nairn, and although I once had a very good round in the King Trophy, I didn't play yesterday.

Flicking through the scores, I do see a Dalmahoy member amongst the net 78s?!

My gross was 78, nett 75. I live up here pal. 

Guess The Crowd
30 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My gross was 78, nett 75. I live up here pal. 

Apologies. Originally, I actually assumed you meant gross. Went looking (wrongly) for an Edinburgh club amongst the gross 78s.

Now that you mention it, I recall from previous posts that you're also based up here.

Very good shooting both days. I played a bounce game at Nairn first thing this morning and couldn't handle the wind against on the front nine, to put it mildly!

24 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

Apologies. Originally, I actually assumed you meant gross. Went looking (wrongly) for an Edinburgh club amongst the gross 78s.

Now that you mention it, I recall from previous posts that you're also based up here.

Very good shooting both days. I played a bounce game at Nairn first thing this morning and couldn't handle the wind against on the front nine, to put it mildly!

we were out at 08:30, I put my 2 iron pin high on 8 and in the ditch on 17! Got breezy alright! 

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

we were out at 08:30, I put my 2 iron pin high on 8 and in the ditch on 17! Got breezy alright! 

I hit a full pelt 8 iron 108 yards at Lundin on Friday night, a good 30-35 yards short of my usual 8 iron distance :lol: 

Winds have been incredibly strong this weekend.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I hit a full pelt 8 iron 108 yards at Lundin on Friday night, a good 30-35 yards short of my usual 8 iron distance :lol: 

Winds have been incredibly strong this weekend.

Was fairly timid yesterday but this morning was a good 2/3 club wind. I think hitting downwind in these concrete like conditions is near impossible! 

Guess The Crowd
43 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I was in the ditch too at 17, but with a driver. My pal was nearly in the ditch at 16!

New course at your club next year? 

5 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I was in the ditch too at 17, but with a driver. My pal was nearly in the ditch at 16!

New course at your club next year? 

Yea, April apparently, was speaking to one of the greenkeepers who was at Nairn yesterday and they’re desperate for rain to get the growth going, started pumping water from the canal up to the new course. 

Curse of the front 9 returns.    Utter clown show front 9 and good on the back.     Only a lip out on the last denied me somehow breaking 80 from the clouds.     Missed a great chance for a good 3 a few holes before as well.      Needed to finish with 2 birdies and got the first one.      Even though it means nothing I'm still gutted.

I was a bit careless ( maybe too casual ) and three yakked from nowhere at the 2nd.    Followed by a double and then 3 more bogeys.       Sometimes your own carelessness can result in a compounding of errors.    I was in the process of steadying the ship and then conspired to another double by going in a death bunker lie at 9.     

So horror 44 then 36 for 80-7=73.

Disser Pointon

Played in the Musselburgh Challenge with Hickory clubs at the Old Course on Saturday, Sandy Lyle as well, not as difficult to hit as I had expected, great fun.

John mcCartney

sounds superb that bleed,ive a permit for there.....love the course
surely they had the greens running nicely ? the greenkeeping staff have done a great job over the past couple of years altho just wish that they would make them run a bit faster,they now look like proper greens.just get em rolling in the summer !!!

sandy lyle at the old course,musselburgh great stuff

Finally my driving has started to click back into place, and with it came my best score of the year. 81 and no lost balls for the first time in a while. Just a couple of shocking missed putts from inside 3 feet that stopped me breaking 80.

Disser Pointon
9 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

surely they had the greens running nicely ? the greenkeeping staff have done a great job over the past couple of years altho just wish that they would make them run a bit faster,they now look like proper greens.just get em rolling in the summer !!!

They've had problems with the greens after a disease took hold but have saved pretty much all of them other than the 4th which is still a bit of a mess. Played all my junior golf there. 

On 7/3/2018 at 08:56, Victorian said:

Graeme McDowell has withdrawn from Open qualifying due to his bats going missing during a journey back from Paris.     Quite rightly he's citing the fact that he could never perform at his best with a different set.     It does make you wonder though whether players should have an 'identical' set made up and stored at any given time,    given that the expense of it is completely negligible.    Maybe some do.

Soz i'm a bit late to this chat :)  They should be able to turn a set around no problem you'd think.  Although, I did see Stephen Gallacher hitting balls with an unfitted driver and it was unbelievable ... he was showing us at a demo day how important it is, he was missing the range right and left, but then when he reverted back he was creaming it.

Disser Pointon
16 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Sandy Lyle Hickry Challenge.jpg

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Samuel Camazzola
On 09/07/2018 at 12:54, Bleedsmaroon said:

Played in the Musselburgh Challenge with Hickory clubs at the Old Course on Saturday, Sandy Lyle as well, not as difficult to hit as I had expected, great fun.

I'm sure Sandy is an ambassador for Hickory golf. There is a big competition at Kingarrock near Cupar where he makes regular appearances. 

Disser Pointon
18 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure Sandy is an ambassador for Hickory golf. There is a big competition at Kingarrock near Cupar where he makes regular appearances. 

yeah he does a lot of it and has a custom made set by Tad Moore....... which was a lot better than what we played with!

WalterWhite

Anyone going scottish open this week. Fancy Gmac 80/1 £5 ew last chance to qualify for the open. 

Edited by WalterWhite

5 hours ago, WalterWhite said:

Anyone going scottish open this week. Fancy Gmac 80/1 £5 ew last chance to qualify for the open. 

Aye, heading up on Friday. Aphibanrat and willet ew for me 

Calm conditions at Gullane, course is gonna get ripped a new one...again, plenty birdies and eagles though.

There will be some wild bounces on the hard fairways and some penalising fairway bunkers found though... But yes... No wind .. could be low scores

hmfc_liam06

Heading to Dalmahoy East next week for the first time...looks tough.

Anyone played there? Any insights?

Tommy Brown

I seen Mickelson being quizzed on his foul putt.

Admitting it was wrong and regretting it.

Can't find the video of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/44813118

Regarding cheating or watching the rules been broken. It seems to be happening constantly around me this season.

All regular golfers who should know better. One was downright cheating, but I said nothing because I didn't want it ****ing up my own concentration (it still did though)

Preferred lies on fairway, the guy was nudging hid ball in the rough to a better lie. he was on a good score, but from there he really started to lose it (thankfully)

Next guy was in a playable hazard, but took a couple of practice swings. I pointed out to him he shouldn't be grounding his club, never penalised him.

In a winter game, preferred lies throughout, player lands in a rabbit scrape in a bunker, but dropped outside the bunker. I said he couldn't but our other partner said he could.

Ignorance of the rules is almost the norm these days.    Most golfers don't know the basic proceedures to take a penalty or free drop.     Even golfers who have been playing for many years.

WalterWhite

Cracking day at the scottish open today £20 a ticket well worth the money.

Must of been a hibs day out Mcginn Whitaker and Swanson swaggering about.

49 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Pick the winner at Gullane today.    Some leaderboard that.    

Put a few quid on hend and burmester. Bit of a lottery though! 

WalterWhite
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Pick the winner at Gullane today.    Some leaderboard that.    

I would like to see Russell Knox back to back Rolex series wins ahead of the open next week.

But i think Fowler will edge it.

It would be great to see Knox pull it off again but that field is incredible.     Factor in the number of players in contention,  the highly compressed score and the course they're playing and it points to the winner needing to score very low.    My prediction is that the winner will score no higher than 64 today.

On 13/07/2018 at 19:22, Bigsmak said:

I'll be there tomorrow... Drinking

That was a great day out. Left my mum's house in Gullane at 9.30 did golf, drinkng, pizza or the chippie, more drink........ returned after midnight... The atmosphere in Gullane right now it's so infectious... Really enjoyed it... Will watch from the couch today I think

Samuel Camazzola

It's set up for some finish. 

I caught Ryan Fox's drive on 18 yesterday. 460+ yards! Unbelievable! Fowler stretched one out 400+ during his round too.