Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Anyone else been keeping an eye on the upcoming 2020 World Handicapping System changeover?      CONGU handicaps used here will be assimilated into the new system.     The CONGU system,  as we have known for many years,   is simple and linear.     The new way looks very dynamic in nature and appears to involve an averages based base handicap which is then subject to a day-by-day,  course-by-course review based on the tariff of difficulty and weather conditions,  etc.     The base handicap will be calculated via the average of your best 8 scores from the last 20 submitted.     Cat1 players I have spoken to about it anticipate it leading to slightly lower handicaps for cat1 players and other consistent players,   as well as more insurance agaist going up too quickly.     

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mate was telling me that this system will lower your handicap by 2 to 3 shots compared to our system. Dunno how true that is though...

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

My mate was telling me that this system will lower your handicap by 2 to 3 shots compared to our system. Dunno how true that is though...

Heard a bit of similar chat.     2 to 3 for guys in the 2-4 handicap range.    

I'm very keen to make it work for me but I am inclined to believe that I probablg wont see much of a difference.    I would be gutted if I ended up going up but the best 8 out of the last 20 should ensure this is unlikely.

Forgot to add that I was told there is a factor to calculate the handicap after the best 8 scores are arrived at.    I forget the exact number but it was around about 0.9 or so.      So basically 90% of the average score under or over par.

Example.     4 scores of +6,  2 scores of +8 and 2 scores of +10 = +60 / 8 rounds = +7.5 average x 0.9 = 6.75 ( rounded up to 7 ).     

Or thereabouts.

Just did a calculation of mine.   Before any day to day or course to course adjustments,   +56 / 8 = 7 x 0.9 = 6.3.  Always rounded up I was told,  therefore 7.   No change.    I would be 6 if it was +53 over 8 rounds.     Just 3 shots better over 8 rounds within 20.

It looks easier to come down based on this simple calculation but could be complicated by any course or day to day adjustment down.

I think it may be more fair for People who have been out the game for a while or if you have had an injury and your handicap can change much quicker than it does now (can take a year to go up 1 shot possibly)

I also think it will get rid of bandits... 

I can't find any firm info on the formula but I did read a few articles.   One mentioned a thing that is very relevant.    You no longer have the linear 0.1 adjustment for a round outside the buffer zone of the css.    A bad round merely becomes 1 of the 12 that do not count to your h/c.     While that's good,    it ends the buffer zone scramble.     Clawing into the buffer is a tangible target every time you play a medal and you aren't having a good day.     That's a real loss to the dynamic of the medal round.

Edited by Victorian

Tommy Brown

Wish they would do away with the nett double bogey and just make it a dobey bogey max at any hole.

I'm sure I would be off single figures now :lol:

It appears I really can only play decent in stableford golf. Got 43 points today which included 1 blob. That's the third stableford singles I've played this season and have scored 42,44 and 43. I shouldn't complain but it would be nice to shoot a decent score in a different format.

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, robbodog said:

It appears I really can only play decent in stableford golf. Got 43 points today which included 1 blob. That's the third stableford singles I've played this season and have scored 42,44 and 43. I shouldn't complain but it would be nice to shoot a decent score in a different format.

Sounds like your handicap could be half a dozen lower. 

10 minutes ago, robbodog said:

That's really good.    As SC says,   you could lower your handicap quite a bit if you can project all the good figures into 2 or 3 medal scores.    

Even better is the way you descibed it.    You obviously aspire to achieve the medal scores and quite right too.    Strokeplay is the gold standard of golf.   

lauriesrank

Is Stone gonna do it?

Shat it....  UNlucky :(

Edited by lauriesrank

lauriesrank
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Brandon Stone.   60.

:berra:

I know he was very unlucky at the 18th, no pressure of course.... It'll come!

When pros have a 63 or 64 in a major at a world famous major championship course,    it's harder to get a handle on how the score compares to what a club player can do in their club medal.    When an average(ish) pro goes round Gullane in 60,    it sort of brings it right into focus.    A course we have all played or can relate to.     I think I would be doing ok to score 85 round there and certainly would toil badly to break 80.

hmfc_liam06

St Michael's 666 stableford pairs today. The format is a good laugh. 

First 6 is better ball

Middle 6 is both scores multiplied

Last 6 is both scores added together

Group in front had their pair have an albatross and birdie on the par 5 9th. 

6x4 for 24 points :lol:

Can't find any real info anywhere on the WHS,  other than the average scores aspect.     Not sure where the other multiplying factor I heard about comes in.      I see some stuff about course and slope ratings so I assume that's it.    Maybe the guy I spoke to was using a notional example.     It looks like firm details are still to be decided upon.

hmfc_liam06
21 hours ago, Victorian said:

Just did a calculation of mine.   Before any day to day or course to course adjustments,   +56 / 8 = 7 x 0.9 = 6.3.  Always rounded up I was told,  therefore 7.   No change.    I would be 6 if it was +53 over 8 rounds.     Just 3 shots better over 8 rounds within 20.

It looks easier to come down based on this simple calculation but could be complicated by any course or day to day adjustment down.

Using that formula I'd be down from 19.4 to 16.6. Probably a more realistic mark to be honest.

48 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Using that formula I'd be down from 19.4 to 16.6. Probably a more realistic mark to be honest.

Nice.   You may have a cut to look forward to there.   I think initially there's a sort of transitional phase.     If you stand to get a cut via the new system and can ally it to a wee bit of improvement in your gross scores then you may well end up lower again.     Maybe 13-15.

After the weekends stableford I got a cut to 14.2 which pretty much guarantees being no higher than 15 by end if season and that was my season target?

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, robbodog said:

After the weekends stableford I got a cut to 14.2 which pretty much guarantees being no higher than 15 by end if season and that was my season target?

What did you get cut from? 

6 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What did you get cut from? 

15.7 I started the season at 19.2 so it's going in the right direction

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, robbodog said:

15.7 I started the season at 19.2 so it's going in the right direction

Well played. With those numbers and that size of cut from the last round, sounds like you have further reductions in your game. 

Followed my best score of the year with a new best score of the year. 80.

I was absolutely ripping drives on the dry fairways. Very almost grabbed an albatross going driver > 8 iron on a par 5 that rolled right up to the flag and lipped out to about 3 feet. Of course I then missed the eagle putt.

hmfc_liam06
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Followed my best score of the year with a new best score of the year. 80.

I was absolutely ripping drives on the dry fairways. Very almost grabbed an albatross going driver > 8 iron on a par 5 that rolled right up to the flag and lipped out to about 3 feet. Of course I then missed the eagle putt.

:facepalm: 

Jokes, well done. I'd have done the exact same thing :lol:

Played Dalmahoy East today. I'm glad I got the round via the Scottish Golf Show, as the course is nowhere near the level that they charge at. Greens were terrible, one would be slow then the other lightening.

Getting stuck behind two fourballs made up of Germans was woeful as well. First 4 holes took an hour. We finally got through one of them at the 7th and then the group at the 10th as they stopped by the starters hut. Back 9 done in an hour 20. As a quick player, I just can't handle slow golf. I'm very much a rhythm golfer, stop start golf just leads to me getting frustrated and throwing in all manner of shite shots.

54 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

:facepalm: 

Jokes, well done. I'd have done the exact same thing :lol:

Played Dalmahoy East today. I'm glad I got the round via the Scottish Golf Show, as the course is nowhere near the level that they charge at. Greens were terrible, one would be slow then the other lightening.

Getting stuck behind two fourballs made up of Germans was woeful as well. First 4 holes took an hour. We finally got through one of them at the 7th and then the group at the 10th as they stopped by the starters hut. Back 9 done in an hour 20. As a quick player, I just can't handle slow golf. I'm very much a rhythm golfer, stop start golf just leads to me getting frustrated and throwing in all manner of shite shots.

Does my head in too. I flew round in 2 hours 20 today.

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Does my head in too. I flew round in 2 hours 20 today.

Every one of them treating it as if they're on tour. Fannying about on tee boxes, duffing down the fairway then reading every putt from a multitude of angles. Grim.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Every one of them treating it as if they're on tour. Fannying about on tee boxes, duffing down the fairway then reading every putt from a multitude of angles. Grim.

:pleasing: I enjoyed holding you up . 

I managed a 90 a year or so ago round Carrick Knowe and since then I’ve been trying to break it. Have been close a few times but always had 1-2 poor holes to mess up my round.

I finally managed it today with an unexpected 88. 

Unexpected because I started 6, 6, 3, 9! With some poor putting and a trip from bush to bush on the 4th! 

Front 9 was a 49 so I thought I’d screwed my round but the back 9 was a ridiculous 39, including a final 4 holes of birdie, par, birdie, par! And I missed an eagle on 17 by a millimetre!

I’m not an official member anywhere but my handicap should be around the 23-24 mark, so I’m well chuffed with that score!

hmfc_liam06
37 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

:pleasing: I enjoyed holding you up . 

You must have got that single figure handicap in a lucky bag then :lol:

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, BigC said:

I managed a 90 a year or so ago round Carrick Knowe and since then I’ve been trying to break it. Have been close a few times but always had 1-2 poor holes to mess up my round.

Unexpected because I started 6, 6, 3, 9! With some poor putting and a trip from bush to bush on the 4th! 

Front 9 was a 49 so I thought I’d screwed my round but the back 9 was a ridiculous 39, including a final 4 holes of birdie, par, birdie, par! And I missed an eagle on 17 by a millimetre!

I’m not an official member anywhere but my handicap should be around the 23-24 mark, so I’m well chuffed with that score!

Well played. 

It goes to show that you should always keep going as you never know what's round the corner. You've been rewarded by not chucking in the towel.

43 minutes ago, BigC said:

Nice one  :)   Now on to the next target of breaking 80!

I've only managed it once but I'm getting close again. I was also playing Carricknowe today and going bunker to bunker on the 13th is what messed it for me after going out in 39. 

William H. Bonney
56 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nice one  :)   Now on to the next target of breaking 80!

I've only managed it once but I'm getting close again. I was also playing Carricknowe today and going bunker to bunker on the 13th is what messed it for me after going out in 39. 

Wait til you break 70. It's better then sex. 

QF of the club matchplay.    Well beat 4/3.    Weird match but I was truly atrocious for 11 holes and deserved nothing more than a bad case of Ebola.   Only started playing golf from the 12th tee at 5 down.    

The weird thing was my opponent holed putts that otherwise may have not gone in and seen the game go close.     It would have been utterly bizarre to have done so after being so bad against a very good player playing well.    Every game is different.

My overall game game has gone a shit after a gòod patch.     Time to have a wee reset and go again.

Edited by Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Down at Longhirst Hall for the weekend. Played the Lakes course yesterday, my days it's a brute! Water practically on every hole and any hint of left or right and you're in trouble.

Managed a respectable 32 points with 6 balls in the water.

Toughest course I've ever played.

Samuel Camazzola

39 points today. A double bogey and a three putt bogey to blemish the round. A couple of birdie opportunities just missed that would have improved things but all in all, a fairly solid round. 

loads of golf this coming week, matchplays comps, pairs, club match, mortonhall open. 

Won a match play on Thursday 4&3 giving away 16 shots. Played crail craighead on Friday and played fairly well. And shot level par with a double in the medal today.

the golf bug has returned and is hopefully here for the remainder of the season.   

hmfc_liam06
On 22/07/2018 at 08:34, hmfc_liam06 said:

Down at Longhirst Hall for the weekend. Played the Lakes course yesterday, my days it's a brute! Water practically on every hole and any hint of left or right and you're in trouble.

Managed a respectable 32 points with 6 balls in the water.

Toughest course I've ever played.

Played the Dawson course yesterday, that had held a EuroPro Tour event last week. Longer at 6,800 but far more forgiving. 36 points but a case of what could have been. 18 points through 7 holes but the course tightened up for 4 holes and I racked up a few penalty drops.

A couple of nice courses, greens were fantastic. They have kept them soft so it was a bit of an adjustment coming from the rock hard, dry greens up here.

Craigmillar Park yesterday.  Scratch 72 less 8 = 64.  5 birdies, 3 in the first 4 holes.  A lost ball in the water too.  4 weeks ago I was off 10 but then started running every morning, that's all I've changed, most consistent golf I've played in my life!

Harry Potter
On 7/23/2018 at 13:06, Armageddon said:

Craigmillar Park yesterday.  Scratch 72 less 8 = 64.  5 birdies, 3 in the first 4 holes.  A lost ball in the water too.  4 weeks ago I was off 10 but then started running every morning, that's all I've changed, most consistent golf I've played in my life!

You turning Pro soon, thats amazing golf, played carrick- knowe yesterday ended up with an 85, was in 5 bunkers and 3 putted one from 14 feet, 

short game was poor but driving long that i kept catching the fairway bunkers :mad:.

Tommy Brown
On 23/07/2018 at 13:06, Armageddon said:

lol

looks like you may have pipped my mate for best scratch prize.

Four players on 72, he came 4th and never got a prize. :smile:

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

You turning Pro soon, thats amazing golf, played carrick- knowe yesterday ended up with an 85, was in 5 bunkers and 3 putted one from 14 feet, 

short game was poor but driving long that i kept catching the fairway bunkers :mad:.

It's these dry, hard conditions. I'm the exact same. My average driving distance was around 220 but it's well up by 260 just now. There's improvement in there of course but most of it is down to the conditions. Short par 4's are well in reach, even for me :lol:

It's very easy to fall into the trap of pushing the boat out to maximise the distances in the running conditions.    It takes a bit of discipline but it's probably much better to continue to concentrate on timing,  etc.       Just to hit normally and take whatever distances you get.

I should also have mentioned ... a few of you might remember I bought a laser :)  Best thing ever!!!

Great advice JKB!

16 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I should also have mentioned ... a few of you might remember I bought a laser :)  Best thing ever!!!

Great advice JKB!

I genuinely couldn’t play without one now , I’d be lost , guessing yardage’s , horrible!!!

82 at Braids today. Only some really poor missed short putts robbed me of breaking 80. Hitting a patch of decent consistancy now. It surely can't last. 

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

It's very easy to fall into the trap of pushing the boat out to maximise the distances in the running conditions.    It takes a bit of discipline but it's probably much better to continue to concentrate on timing,  etc.       Just to hit normally and take whatever distances you get.

I was the opposite today, deliberately taking an easy iron off the tee since you still get decent yardage. 

5 iron > 9 iron or risk a driver for a short pitch?

No contest.

56 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I was the opposite today, deliberately taking an easy iron off the tee since you still get decent yardage. 

5 iron > 9 iron or risk a driver for a short pitch?

No contest.

Depends on the course.    I see you were playing Braids so there's lots of very tight tee shots and it's quite short.     It will be good practice for the mid-long irons.