Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Don't you be going and jinxing me now! :lol: Got maybe 2 comps left this year, and that will be me. One cut and I'll have my target of 2 for the season.

Well I've no comps left so I'm done for the year, it's up to one of the chasing pack!

I can't remember what we agreed on a cut off date, was it the last weekend of September?

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I've no comps left so I'm done for the year, it's up to one of the chasing pack!

I can't remember what we agreed on a cut off date, was it the last weekend of September?

Yea, sounds about right.

Hole in one yesterday.........................................for my hobo mate.

He'll enjoy his Howdidido green Hugo Boss watch.

More pi*h golf from me.

Samuel Camazzola

I have one potential September comp but others are in October before season closes.

I have two this week.. But the way I am playing gives me no hope. I would need to shoot Level par on both rounds to be close to winning this..

I guess its my fault for playing my medals on a hard course where the CSS is usually 2 or 3 above Par.... If it was level I would be about 20 points better. 

I have two this week.. But the way I am playing gives me no hope. I would need to shoot Level par on both rounds to be close to winning this..

I guess its my fault for playing my medals on a hard course where the CSS is usually 2 or 3 above Par.... If it was level I would be about 20 points better.

My home course is normally 1 below par but one hole has been shortened due to works for the new course so it's occasionally 2 below, I've played it in 6 comps this year.

Played Nairn Dunbar 4 times all +3 css

Spey Valley +5 css

Boat of Garten +3 css

Moray +3 css

Elgin +1 css

Forres twice level css

Ullapool +1 and +2 css

Loch Ness level css

Strathpeffer -1 css

20 comps, 14 buffer or better this season , Fwiw I'd fancy my chances more on a course with a high css for handicap purposes, than going out at my home course knowing I'm technically playing off 1.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is standing on the first tee of any comp thinking "I better play well, I need a score for the JKB table" :lol:

To be fair, I don't think anyone is standing on the first tee of any comp thinking "I better play well, I need a score for the JKB table" :lol:

Ha ha. I hope not.

Edited by Victorian

I've got a really really bad habit of going up 0.1 if I know I can't get cut.

Instead of just accepting it and making buffer, I start trying to attack and go completely off the rails.

Silly stuff. Give away so many 0.1's just through a shite temperament. :lol:

Interesting to hear. I know a few of the guys at my place are a bit like that.

Personally I'm just as keen to ensure playing to h/c or getting a buffer as I am to get a cut. I really need to limit the +0.1s to a bare minimum if I can as my cuts are few in number. I think I'm 'going for buffer' much much more than going for a cut in the closing holes.

This year I've had (x6) +0.1s. In other years, ar least half of these would have been rescued. My margins are extremely tight.

I do!!!!!!

What's the Braids like for a round? Going to be in Edinburgh visiting a relative and we were thinking of a round somewhere. I need to nip to American Golf so thought about playing there.

What's the Braids like for a round? Going to be in Edinburgh visiting a relative and we were thinking of a round somewhere. I need to nip to American Golf so thought about playing there.

It's best off the back tees. Some challenging tee shots. Blind and very tight. Some much more staightforward holes too. Greens aren't the best right now. Not a refined course by any means but interesting.

Interesting course. Hilly, lots of gorses. Not very long but challenging, unforgiving if you aren't accurate. Harsh if it's windy. Greens were pretty bad last time I played there.

Played like a dream machine running on high octane double cream. In the pissing rain. A season of near misses, disappointments and **** ups has given me a final boot. Bogey at the last 4 holes inc 2 three yaks at the last 2. Lost the comp on the countback. 74-8=66 gets me cut to 6.9

39 points.

Still a good round :thumbsup:

Cheers. I don't tend to care about winning comps. It's all about the h/c for me. I'm now -0.2 for the year and I've only played well twice. I suppose that's a plus.

Cheers. I don't tend to care about winning comps. It's all about the h/c for me. I'm now -0.2 for the year and I've only played well twice. I suppose that's a plus.

Yip, handicap is the main priority for me, vouchers are a bonus.

Yip, handicap is the main priority for me, vouchers are a bonus.

Definitely. At your cat1 level it's all about grinding out the scores for handicap. Every .1 a prisoner.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

10 holes only today flooded fairways. Was just warming up after 2 weeks off.

Anyone played Buddon at Carnoustie. We like to round off the season with something nice

Played Alyth today, superb course.

Pity about the 44 putts :lol: total nightmare on the greens today, had absolutely no confidence whatsoever. Tee to green was brilliant, didn't miss a single fairway!

Playing tomorrow, which will hopefully help me get over my atrocious round I played with my Dad at St. Fillan's the other week when I was home.

He must've thought " He's gone backwards." :lol:

Truth is, I have.

No good!

Poor run of form for me at the moment, I traditionally play well just as the season finishes :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

Played The Dukes yesterday. The condition is very poor for such a nicely designed course. Tees are rutted, drainage issues which seem to be a constant thing there and bumpy inconsistent greens. The look of the place is quite scruffy too as a lot of clover is growing on the fairways and edging around bunkers needs maintenance.

I've no idea who pays published prices (?95) for a round there. It's location doesn't help it too as it's greatly inferior to the Links Trust and Fairmont courses.

Played Charleton for ?15 recently and it's condition puts it to shame.

Played Spey Valley the week before and it was in good nick. Only hit into the heather once in two rounds and it was punishing!

Played The Dukes yesterday. The condition is very poor for such a nicely designed course. Tees are rutted, drainage issues which seem to be a constant thing there and bumpy inconsistent greens. The look of the place is quite scruffy too as a lot of clover is growing on the fairways and edging around bunkers needs maintenance.

I've no idea who pays published prices (?95) for a round there. It's location doesn't help it too as it's greatly inferior to the Links Trust and Fairmont courses.

Played Charleton for ?15 recently and it's condition puts it to shame.

Played Spey Valley the week before and it was in good nick. Only hit into the heather once in two rounds and it was punishing!

Really is a beautiful setting at Spey Valley.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Played Alyth today, superb course.

Pity about the 44 putts :lol: total nightmare on the greens today, had absolutely no confidence whatsoever. Tee to green was brilliant, didn't miss a single fairway!

How was Alyth? We love its neighbour Strathmore. Hospitality/welcome/food is fantastic, love the variety of holes. Not the hardest course, but always enjoyable. Carvery on a Sunday after golf is some sort of Nirvana for me!

Samuel Camazzola

Really is a beautiful setting at Spey Valley.

I think 7, 8 or 15 are my favourite holes. All require plotting your tee shot in the right place. 2 iron off the tee for each of them was perfect.

How was Alyth? We love its neighbour Strathmore. Hospitality/welcome/food is fantastic, love the variety of holes. Not the hardest course, but always enjoyable. Carvery on a Sunday after golf is some sort of Nirvana for me!

Course was superb, some interesting holes.

Catering was shocking though. Quite the opposite from Strathmore, who's catering is probably the best I've had at a golf course.

Hugs? What for? My impending life sentence for murder, after implanting a Sand Wedge into the group of Seniors that held us up all round?

Cheers, mate.

I find a putter does more damage.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Course was superb, some interesting holes.

Catering was shocking though. Quite the opposite from Strathmore, who's catering is probably the best I've had at a golf course.

So Strathmore it stays then :)

First game in about a month yesterday. Forgot how to hit my irons properly, several horribly fat shots. I seem to have mysteriously learned how to pitch and chip though which saved the scorecard. 

Carricknowe is usually a bit of a nightmare for random members of the public choosing to use the course as a spot for a leisurely stroll with their dog. Yesterday's bint took the biscuit.

A woman stood in the light rough just off the side of the fairway on the first hole about 250 yards out, completely still, not moving. I tried waving at her to get her attention but no reaction, so **** it, hit my drive. Of course it flew over in her direction. Shout 'FORE'. No reaction, she just stands there as the ball lands about 30 yards away from her. Go up to hit my shot and she has a dog running around beside her and she is still just standing there, unflinched, reading a book. On a golf course. At the side of a fairway. Like it's the most normal thing in the world. I had to shout "excuse me" after standing taking a few practice swings right in front of her without her taking the hint. She then shuffled off and stood in a similar spot at the side of the 9th and started reading her book again. Utterly weird behaviour.

:lol: sounds a right weirdo.

There was a guy on Friday at Royal Musselburgh who was cycling about the course on his bike. Looked a right weirdo.

William H. Bonney

Don't get it. Surely finding a park where people aren't smashing hard balls around at over 100mph would be a better option.

Sounds a bit like dogging.

The way my season has gone, I would have driven down the last with a par to win the club championship, hit her on the head with my drive and the dog would have scranned the ball and run away.

The way my season has gone, I would have driven down the last with a par to win the club championship, hit her on the head with my drive and the dog would have scranned the ball and run away.

A fox has done that with my mate's ball before. :jjyay:

Pro day at Haddington on Saturday passed. Teams of 3, best net score of 1 player to use..................I lost 5 balls in the first 9 holes, all pulled left.

Scored in 7 of the back 9 holes!!!!!! Fecking game.

Got my driving sorted yesterday at work's outing at Kingsknowe but then my iron game disappeared.

Course was in lovely condition, cracking view of the bridges on the 1st tee. Greens fast and tricky to read.

A fox has done that with my mate's ball before. :jjyay:

Seen crows try and leg it with a ball before. Not a fox.

A fox and a crow have both had it away with chocolate bars I've had in the buggy on the course. Dirty *****.

A crow had my sandwich (box n all) once. Miss that BLT. :(

They're bold *******s. I've been ambushed for the chocolate twice at the same place on the course. Same crow probably.

Oh to be that accurate.

If I tried that, i'd probably pull it left and kill an endangered bird minding its own business, as it was migrating south for the winter.

:D

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Had a fox at Links in Aberdeen. Not a place I expect to see one.

By coincidence same course Sunday woman walking her dog over the front of the green. Not a glance

Samuel Camazzola

The Mizuno MP18 irons have just been released and must be the best looking clubs ever made. I wouldn't want to ruin them if I got them! :D

The Mizuno MP18 irons have just been released and must be the best looking clubs ever made. I wouldn't want to ruin them if I got them! :D

I wouldn't be able to hit them for shit! Beautiful though.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread