Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I wouldn't be able to hit them for shit! Beautiful though.

There's 4 different types to be fair mate!

Blades, Split Cavity, Multi Material Cavity and Fli Hi.

Would make a cracking combo set.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh don't. I musn't look at buying another set of irons. I think I've finally bonded with the MP32s I bought 15 months ago. They look nice though.

Samuel Camazzola

Oh don't. I musn't look at buying another set of irons. I think I've finally bonded with the MP32s I bought 15 months ago. They look nice though.

They're a fine looking club too. Do you find them easy to hit?

Nearly all of Mizuno's clubs are pleasing on the eye and quite timeless. I can only think of their JPX range that doesn't carry the classic look. Highly commended sticks though.

Nearly all of Mizuno's clubs are pleasing on the eye and quite timeless. I can only think of their JPX range that doesn't carry the classic look. Highly commended sticks though.

It's taken a while but I think I'm now getting to the point of full confidence in them. I was a bit tentative for a while and had lost distance and wasn't getting a nice flight with them. A bit low and skittery off the face. Maybe it's just that little bit of give in the ground that's enabled me to start middling them much more. But yes, when you're in the groove they are nice to hit. A nice mid-weight and comforting top line on the eye.

Love my MP25's.

Can't see me changing for a good while.

I had mp62's but towards the end I couldn't hit a 3/4 iron for shit, had them for a long time, nothing feels like a mizuno, indeed! Love my ap2's now, so much more forgiving.

What are the rest of you guys putting with just now? I've ploutered about with another couple but keep returning to my Ping B60. I had said I would get it shortened but I think that will only happen if I do get a new grip on it.

I think it has a few elements of a great putter. Just about the right weight and size of head. The slightly broader sole has a satisfying lie behind the ball. The familiar off-set shaft seems to suit me too, as I have eventually learned.

Short sticks lads.

Samuel Camazzola

What are the rest of you guys putting with just now? I've ploutered about with another couple but keep returning to my Ping B60. I had said I would get it shortened but I think that will only happen if I do get a new grip on it.

I think it has a few elements of a great putter. Just about the right weight and size of head. The slightly broader sole has a satisfying lie behind the ball. The familiar off-set shaft seems to suit me too, as I have eventually learned.

Short sticks lads.

Samuel Camazzola

My main putter for the last few years has been a Scotty Cameron Fastback. Put a Superstroke grip on it a couple of years ago and like the feel of it. Been considering trialing heavier head weights in it to see how it feels.

I also have a B60 blade and love the classic look. I picked mine up in 2001 and feel my model is a touch on the light side for my liking. I may look into a thinner grip on it to see if it counters the head weight.

I've started collecting putters this year - I think it's going to be an expensive hobby! :D

I've picked up two Cleveland Smart Square models which frame the ball nicely at address. Same again, I just need to find the right grip for them.

Got a Taylormade TP Berwick last month. Lovely putter with a soft feel.

Looking at the Ping Sigma range and like the feel of the Doon model. It's an oversized head - quite heavy at 400g and longer at 38 inches. Trialling that this week I think.

The other half thinks putters are cheap so I'll not tell her any different. :D

Odyssey 2 ball.

Golf Pride SNSR grip. (Red one). Loving that.

Couldnt go back to a blade putter now I don't think. When I have a shot of mates ones it feels so much more difficult to use. As said above though, the classic look is lovely. I wish I could use them with the same ease as the 2 ball.

Recently used a mates a Taylormade Spider Tour for a round and really enjoyed it. Cracking putter.

Mallet all the way for me these days.

Edited by Sten Guns

Couldn't see me putting with some of those. Especially the spider. Definitely going to stick with the B60 now with my ancient Justin (Ping Anser lookalike) as an alternate. I've had it for virtually my entire golfing life. It was second hand when I got it. Must be about 40 years old. The shaft snapped under the grip years ago so I had it plugged and gripped.

Samuel Camazzola

Couldn't see me putting with some of those. Especially the spider. Definitely going to stick with the B60 now with my ancient Justin (Ping Anser lookalike) as an alternate. I've had it for virtually my entire golfing life. It was second hand when I got it. Must be about 40 years old. The shaft snapped under the grip years ago so I had it plugged and gripped.

I'm sure Ping have launched the B60 model as part of their Sigma range. May be worth looking into to see if its modifications work for you.

I'm sure Ping have launched the B60 model as part of their Sigma range. May be worth looking into to see if its modifications work for you.

I just had a look. They look decent. But at ?160 a pop I think I'll stick to my 'cooncil' metal faced one. :D

Samuel Camazzola

I just had a look. They look decent. But at ?160 a pop I think I'll stick to my 'cooncil' metal faced one. :D

Haha. You'd win that back in the sweep when the putts start dropping from all angles.

Aye right. :)

Just been browsing vintage Pings. I've had most of them over the years. I could literally go on a binge and start a wee Ping stable right now. You can buy them so cheaply too.

Anser 2. Cushin/Kushin. Rite-In. Echo I and II.

Ping.. the comfort food of the golf tinkerer.

Edited by Victorian

Aye right. :)

Just been browsing vintage Pings. I've had most of them over the years. I could literally go on a binge and start a wee Ping stable right now. You can buy them so cheaply too.

Anser 2. Cushin/Kushin. Rite-In. Echo I and II.

Ping.. the comfort food of the golf tinkerer.

I owned a ping Sedona 2 a few years back, beautiful looking thing it was.

Holed nothing for the 2 months I owned it :lol:

I owned a ping Sedona 2 a few years back, beautiful looking thing it was.

Holed nothing for the 2 months I owned it :lol:

I see what you mean. Looks great but at the same time I can see straight away it would never be my cup of tea either.

Samuel Camazzola

I think Rich Beem still uses an old putter his dad passed down to him. He may have used it when he won the PGA too. Corey Pravin was loyal to the old Bullseye putter for years too and was very successful.

A lot of preference is down to what fits the eye whereas some like to fill their bag with the latest gear.

Folk won't think twice about spending hundreds of pounds on a driver which may get used a handful of times a round but the real focus should be on the putter which can be used around 30 times.

Trousered ?60 for my efforts on Saturday. No consolation for throwing away an extra 0.4 off my h/c, what would have been my 2nd best ever gross medal and two separate net comp cups between two separate clubs. Name not on two cups and neither being collected at the prizegiving dinners.

5 days on and the sting is getting worse.

:wow: a course I've driven past many times, but I haven't played it, some serious damage done.

I was meant to play in the scramble there a couple weeks back but couldn?t make it. Gutted even more now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think Rich Beem still uses an old putter his dad passed down to him. He may have used it when he won the PGA too. Corey Pravin was loyal to the old Bullseye putter for years too and was very successful.

A lot of preference is down to what fits the eye whereas some like to fill their bag with the latest gear.

Folk won't think twice about spending hundreds of pounds on a driver which may get used a handful of times a round but the real focus should be on the putter which can be used around 30 times.

I agree. I think a putter could cost 20 quid opposed to ?250 and be of the same value. Finding one that matches your weight and stroke is what its about, there are no magic wands

I would definitely spend 200 or 300 on a driver. Especially if I had a good idea it would improve my game. I would probably spend the same money on the right wedge set or on fairway woods / hybrids. I could never see myself spending over 100 on a putter.

I would definitely spend 200 or 300 on a driver. Especially if I had a good idea it would improve my game. I would probably spend the same money on the right wedge set or on fairway woods / hybrids. I could never see myself spending over 100 on a putter.

I'm kinda the same.

I can see why drivers etc cost so much and why they are worth it. I just don't see it with putters. For me it's all about what feels best with a putter. If that's a ?20 Dunlop or a ?200 Scotty Cameron then so be it.

I'd rather spend more on a putter than a driver, putter is the most important club in the bag. That's not to say you need to spend a fortune on one, whatever works for you.

I can't see myself spending a fortune on a driver tbh, I generally only buy gear if I've got vouchers, with the exception of my irons which I bought without vouchers.

It's an interesting debate over what the most important club is. The scoring club. For my money it's the driver. Some players rarely hit driver so for them it would be their most common teeing club.

If someone has enough tee shot length and is very consistent with it then I can see how the putter would become the more important club. Usually this would be a cat1 player.

Now that I come to think of it, I know one very low cat1 who relies very heavily on his wedge, pitching and chipping more than anything else.

Edited by Victorian

An old adage is... if your putting is bad, look to improve your irons. If you're consistently 45 feet away then 40 putts is a real possibility. Always within 20 feet or so... different prospect. Easier said than done of course. :(

As I?ve not been playing often this year(well) if my chipping & putting hadn?t saved me on at least 7-8 occasions, my round scores could?ve easily been 95plus.

As it is, looking at some of my rounds, and the amount of 1 putts on there?s ridiculous. :lol:

I can sympathise. Sometimes it can be a succession of missed greens or long putts. Puts the pressure on the putting. Ir's amazing what a difference comes from hitting the meat of the green.

That's sort of what trapped me on Saturday. I had a comfortable time of it on the greens until the last 2 holes. Ended up with 2 long, high tarriff putts when the pressure was already on. Putted to around 6-7 feet twice and failed.

It makes a massive difference to be within 20 feet or so.

Samuel Camazzola

It's interesting to hear others views. Since I started playing as a junior, I was always told to build your set up starting with the putter and moving on to wedges...

Most Pro's advise amateur players to focus on putting, then pitching, then to club up.

I can understand people who only buy what they can budget but don't understand why folk would splash out on a Callaway Epic but refuse to consider trying an expensive putter without trialling it.

It's interesting to hear others views. Since I started playing as a junior, I was always told to build your set up starting with the putter and moving on to wedges...

Most Pro's advise amateur players to focus on putting, then pitching, then to club up.

I can understand people who only buy what they can budget but don't understand why folk would splash out on a Callaway Epic but refuse to consider trying an expensive putter without trialling it.

Probably just an inherent conception that any putter can be used to hole putts. A putt stroke doesn't need length or a particular ball flight or shape or grip. It is what it is. Of course there are lots of things to do with putters that influence the shot and the result but I think golfers are inherently reluctant to buy into it. They don't tend to see the benefits as tangibly as a driver that goes +20 yards or the Vokey wedges that dance the ball around the hole.

It's past experiences too. We've all started on a new putter holing them from all over the place.. and then went backwards. The ingrained belief becomes that money does not give much of a guarantee of sustained results. The same can and often does apply to other clubs.

On the plus side, even if I?m GIR and got a substantial 2 putt for par left, I?ve made it. Not had a 3 putt in a long, long time thankfully.

It's a good attribute to have. Good distance control married to being solid at holing out gives you two separate good chances of making the par.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Probably just an inherent conception that any putter can be used to hole putts. A putt stroke doesn't need length or a particular ball flight or shape or grip. It is what it is. Of course there are lots of things to do with putters that influence the shot and the result but I think golfers are inherently reluctant to buy into it. They don't tend to see the benefits as tangibly as a driver that goes +20 yards or the Vokey wedges that dance the ball around the hole.

On the driver side, I've went the other way and sacrificed some distance over the last couple of years. I went from a Taylormade with 8.5 loft to a Cleveland with 9.0 and slightly lighter shaft. I hit a long ball from the tee but wanted more control and accuracy. I'm probably around 15 - 20 yards shorter resulting in an extra club required on approach but plotting my way around courses a lot smarter. Probably only opt for the driver on 4 or 5 holes now too.

Drive for show, putt for doh is a bit of a myth. Old saying that's not really true these days. Mark Crossfield (YouTuber) has done a good video on this recently.

There's a reason the best in the world are all huge off the tee. Sure Spieth is a class putter, but he also gets damn close to the hole in 2 a lot. If he misses the green, his short game will get him close. Putting stats can hide a lot of other factors.

Don't get me wrong, you need to be good at putting to be a good golfer. But being in play off the tee and reasonably long is the most important factor. If I'm going in to greens with PW / 9 irons and not 5 or 6 irons I'm making more pars and birdies. That's a fact.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread