• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played 5 of the top 50, highest ranked one being Royal Dornoch.

anyone played panmure? Was on their site a while ago, looks lovely.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

New rankings for the top 100 courses in Scotland recently published.

Don't agree with some leaping so much i.e. the Fairmont courses.

http://www.top100golfcourses.com/news-item/top-100-golf-courses-of-scotland-2018

I've played 18 of the 100, with the Dukes being the highest rated.

The condition of The Dukes is so bad that it's surprising that it still manages to host Europro Tour events. 

I've played it around six times now and the best it's been was in early December. It's a shame as it's a lovely design. 

I've played the Dukes it was nice but I wouldnt have had it that high on the list

Im off to play the Eden course on Friday anyone played it ?

53 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The condition of The Dukes is so bad that it's surprising that it still manages to host Europro Tour events. 

I've played it around six times now and the best it's been was in early December. It's a shame as it's a lovely design. 

Yeah 25 is way too high, I'd have it in around mid-table. I have Lundin, Leven, Boat of Garten & The Roxburghe ahead of it from courses I've played.

John mcCartney

panmure is a proper heathland course,its sits on the north side of monifieth.....brilliant golfing land with scots pine,links type undulations,odd parts of quirk,great turf,large greens and tranquil.....i also like the railway running on the perimeter of the course,it dont mess up thetranquility....the clubhouse is steeped in tradition,think its from 1856 n all....good practice facilities

il poss go there soon on me birthday day off

51 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

panmure is a proper heathland course,its sits on the north side of monifieth.....brilliant golfing land with scots pine,links type undulations,odd parts of quirk,great turf,large greens and tranquil.....i also like the railway running on the perimeter of the course,it dont mess up thetranquility....the clubhouse is steeped in tradition,think its from 1856 n all....good practice facilities

il poss go there soon on me birthday day off

Guy in work is a member there and he’s an utter ****. 

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sten, thinking of heading to Longniddry on Monday 6th November. Will it be mats off fairways by then do you think?

No matts on fairways ever mate. 

Just the par 3 tee’s have a matt in the winter.

Last time I played Longniddry in the winter it was Mats or move the ball to the semi rough.. But that was a few years ago now. 

On 25/10/2017 at 13:44, Jamboelite said:

I've played the Dukes it was nice but I wouldnt have had it that high on the list

Im off to play the Eden course on Friday anyone played it ?

It’s pretty easy tee to green but some greens have huge tiers so if you get in the wrong part of the green it’s nasty.

12 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Last time I played Longniddry in the winter it was Mats or move the ball to the semi rough.. But that was a few years ago now. 

Spoke to boy i play with who’s been a member last 5/6 years. He said it’s happened once a few years back. Maybe a bad year.  

6 minutes ago, Sten Guns said:

Spoke to boy i play with who’s been a member last 5/6 years. He said it’s happened once a few years back. Maybe a bad year.  

You'd imagine it would take something drastic for them to have them in use in the next week or so.

On 27/10/2017 at 07:57, deesidejambo said:

It’s pretty easy tee to green but some greens have huge tiers so if you get in the wrong part of the green it’s nasty.

Really enjoyed it and very reasonably priced, some challenges too.

9 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

This is the Golf In Scotland event schedule for 2018. I played in last year. It is brilliant value for money -  If you had to pick 4 rounds, which would you take? 

What do you guys think?

http://www.golfinscotlandseriesevents.co.uk/

Robert the Bruce

Blairgowrie

Barassie Links

Forfar

Cracking deal and set up. It would cost well over £265 just to play those four, never mind Turnberry.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Was thinking of going to the Glen on Sunday and then Longniddry Monday.

Forecast for Monday doesn't look great so thinking of taking what I'd spend on both those rounds and go to Gleneagles or Dundonald on the Sunday instead now.

Any other courses doing tee times for around the £50 mark?

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Was thinking of going to the Glen on Sunday and then Longniddry Monday.

Forecast for Monday doesn't look great so thinking of taking what I'd spend on both those rounds and go to Gleneagles or Dundonald on the Sunday instead now.

Any other courses doing tee times for around the £50 mark?

Just for your info, played at the Glen last week. Greens were tremendous for time of year.

Have a good day wherever you go.

Samuel Camazzola

Played a scramble at the Fairmont Torrance at the weekend. Course condition was superb and was a really good day with huge turnout. Cracking course too. 

There's an interesting article in the latest Bunkered magazine relating to the green keeping up there. The Director in charge of course conditions for the Company has some job with a fair amount of travelling. From his back story, I can only assume he's single! :D

On 30/10/2017 at 23:56, Bigsmak said:

This is the Golf In Scotland event schedule for 2018. I played in last year. It is brilliant value for money -  If you had to pick 4 rounds, which would you take? 

What do you guys think?

http://www.golfinscotlandseriesevents.co.uk/

This is now open to register

I'm in.. it's brilliant value

Disser Pointon
18 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

This is now open to register

I'm in.. it's brilliant value

Oooohhhh tempted! Terrific value for money.

2 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Oooohhhh tempted! Terrific value for money.

You won't regret it if you join up. You will make so many golfing buddies and have a chance to win great prizes at each event. It's well worth it

Disser Pointon
3 hours ago, bebeto said:

You won't regret it if you join up. You will make so many golfing buddies and have a chance to win great prizes at each event. It's well worth it

Right I'm in! Didn't get the courses I would have picked as some are full but playing Newbattle, Stirling, Dunblane and Harburn with Ailsa on 13 October. Didn't have time to get any mates on board either with it selling quickly so I'll be making pals on the day!!!

What courses are you guys playing and what date are you doing Ailsa, we could maybe car share if there's any we're doing together?

8 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Right I'm in! Didn't get the courses I would have picked as some are full but playing Newbattle, Stirling, Dunblane and Harburn with Ailsa on 13 October. Didn't have time to get any mates on board either with it selling quickly so I'll be making pals on the day!!!

What courses are you guys playing and what date are you doing Ailsa, we could maybe car share if there's any we're doing together?

Playing on the 13th as well.

Forfar, Blairgowrie, Balbirnie and Kilmarnock . 

Should be good fun

10 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Playing the struie course at Royal Dornoch  tomorrow for the first time, looking forward to it.

I see it’s only £130 for a winter membership. Some good deals kicking about.

Considering elsewhere for next year. My course has decided to close the back 9 for the entire winter, a lot of people not happy about it.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

I see it’s only £130 for a winter membership. Some good deals kicking about.

Aye? Good deal, I’m always tempted by moray golf clubs winter deal 6 months and you get to play both courses plus I think you can play comps. Just a bit out of the way really.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Considering elsewhere for next year. My course has decided to close the back 9 for the entire winter, a lot of people not happy about it.

Ooft! Not good that. I drove past my course yesterday and the 16th green has been dug up ! Wtf! Must be to do with the new course layout.

1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Aye? Good deal, I’m always tempted by moray golf clubs winter deal 6 months and you get to play both courses plus I think you can play comps. Just a bit out of the way really.

You have plenty links options up your way :thumbsup:

I only really have Leven and it’s a 40 minute drive, no good!

On 03/11/2017 at 13:41, Bleedsmaroon said:

I'm usually at all the events so will more than likely see you at a few. I travel from Glasgow for the events. I'm playing the Ailsa on the last Sunday the 14th. 

You won't be disappointed great prizes and a chance to win an holiday!!!

On 03/11/2017 at 13:41, Bleedsmaroon said:

Always worth asking Stevie if there is space at other courses you want to play as there are always call offs

Disser Pointon
23 hours ago, bebeto said:

I'm usually at all the events so will more than likely see you at a few. I travel from Glasgow for the events. I'm playing the Ailsa on the last Sunday the 14th. 

You won't be disappointed great prizes and a chance to win an holiday!!!

Cheers, I've actually changed my Ailsa date to the 5th now and taken the day off. How does it work with tee times, do they get in touch nearer the time of each event?

Not sure where you're based but give me a shout if you want a lift to any of the ones I'm going to.

Paul

1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Cheers, I've actually changed my Ailsa date to the 5th now and taken the day off. How does it work with tee times, do they get in touch nearer the time of each event?

Not sure where you're based but give me a shout if you want a lift to any of the ones I'm going to.

Paul

Yeah they send out emails and post to Facebook tee times usually the Wednesday/Thursday before the event. The guys are very approachable so will try to give you a tee time to your suiting. If they miss you which happens just message them.it ain't on purpose lol

18 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Not long in from Gleneagles...what a place!

A1B69094-EA2F-41B4-A923-046AB54700F8.jpeg

68EBAD26-BC75-4D7C-B537-77379B7F3B79.jpeg

0080A614-14E1-4ED5-86AE-BFC80C7C1AC0.jpeg

Magic!  Looks a cracking day too - how did you play?

31 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Magic!  Looks a cracking day too - how did you play?

Couldnt have asked for better weather.

Played pretty poorly to be honest, mostly off the tee. Although I did nail the last for a four, 250 yard drive with the new driver so I went home happy :lol:

Disser Pointon
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Couldnt have asked for better weather.

Played pretty poorly to be honest, mostly off the tee. Although I did nail the last for a four, 250 yard drive with the new driver so I went home happy :lol:

We've got corporate at Gleneagles and I think the PGA is the weakest of the three courses, Kings is by far the best, but all about personal preference........... None of them are unpleasant to play though and they beat the office every time!!

Played the West Course at North Berwick on Sunday.     A bleedin' hard task it must be said.      Very cold and a stiff westerly wind.      By and large into the wind all the way out and down wind on the way back in.       I actually found it just as difficult playing down the wind because it's quite hard to get a decent flight on your shots as the incessant wind tends to beat the ball down.      After a few pars on the front 9 I started the back 9 with back-to-back birdies and was thinking about a decent score.     It was then that I discovered a lot of the back 9 holes are particularly difficult.     You really do need to pick the right club and place the ball in the right areas off the tee.      I don't think I made a par in the final 7 holes.      I would love to have another go in the summer on a calmer day.    

Edited by Victorian

I played Kilspindie for the second weekend in a row, absolutely baltic, but a great trek!  Some great holes and would totally recommend it.

Edited by Armageddon

On 07/11/2017 at 14:59, Armageddon said:

I played Kilspindie for the second weekend in a row, absolutely baltic, but a great trek!  Some great holes and would totally recommend it.

I tried to enter their open in September,but it's restricted to East Lothian clubs members only.

Uphall & Niddry Castle are having monthly Winter Opens.

That will keep in involved this winter, in all my years, I have virtually played no golf at this time of year.

If anyone of any other opens (pref Links), please post

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

I tried to enter their open in September,but it's restricted to East Lothian clubs members only.

That will keep in involved this winter, in all my years, I have virtually played no golf at this time of year.

The Fairmont has a couple of scramble competitions scheduled soon should you have a handicap and three team mates. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've played Niddry loads, the greens there are immaculate, and fast!  I love the old 9.

10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Pairs open during the festive period. Usually a good competition and a good day. 

https://www.brsgolf.com/eyemouth/opens_home.php

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread