Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

The best putter I've owned is my current one. Cost just shy of ?300 which is a fair bit more than any other putter I've owned. The feel and roll of it isn't even comparable to what I've owned in the past. Maybe it's just a coincidence that the expensive one is night and day the best for me, but I feel it's more likely to be a better quality product therefore I get better results...

Anyway, regardless of what putter you own, the stroke needs to be consistent to be a good putter.

Was struggling for a while with my stroke but seem to have sorted it after drawing lines round the equator of the ball and lining it up properly. Before I was pushing and pulling it straight of the bat as my alignment was so poor.

Holed a couple of beauties from 30ft+ the other night

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the driver side, I've went the other way and sacrificed some distance over the last couple of years. I went from a Taylormade with 8.5 loft to a Cleveland with 9.0 and slightly lighter shaft. I hit a long ball from the tee but wanted more control and accuracy. I'm probably around 15 - 20 yards shorter resulting in an extra club required on approach but plotting my way around courses a lot smarter. Probably only opt for the driver on 4 or 5 holes now too.

Sounds like a sensible approach. It goes some way to describe why the tee shot is (imo) the most important. As always there has to be a balance between various elements of the game but the game has to be easier and scores built more consistently if it's largely from standing in the fairway with an iron in your hand.

It doesn't take a genius to know that scoring becomes harder if you're looking up at a tree instead of a green. It will eventually become harder if you're often looking at only the top of the ball in the rough. The inescapable result is missed greens, bunkers, balls on the edge of greens and 50 foot putts.

Sure.. a good short game will mitigate some of the errant tee shots. But only some. Birdies become rare as well.

Samuel Camazzola

Remember, Tiger didn't use a driver to win the 2006 Open. Mickelson used a 3 wood to win the 2013 Open and Stenson used a version of a Callaway 3 wood from around 2009 to win the Open at Troon...

On the flip side..

I remember when Seve was just past his best. He began using a long iron of the tee a lot because of his wild driving. I've never seen anyone so wild off the tee with an iron. :D

Edited by Victorian

Stenson hits his 3 wood about 10000 yards down the middle of the fairway. He also done it on a links course. :lol:

Nobody's saying you can't win a tournament unless you're mashing your driver 350 yards. But being reasonably long and in play is huge.

I can be as good a putter as I want, but if I'm taking 3/4 shots to get there or occasionally going 3 off the tee or using long irons and not short irons for approach shots, it won't matter a jot.

Samuel Camazzola

Stenson hits his 3 wood about 10000 yards down the middle of the fairway. He also done it on a links course. :lol:

Nobody's saying you can't win a tournament unless you're mashing your driver 350 yards. But being reasonably long and in play is huge.

I can be as good a putter as I want, but if I'm taking 3/4 shots to get there or occasionally going 3 off the tee or using long irons and not short irons for approach shots, it won't matter a jot.

But ultimately, a driver is not essential. If you can hit a consistent fairway wood and be 20 to 30 yards shorter, to me that's the way to go.

But ultimately, a driver is not essential. If you can hit a consistent fairway wood and be 20 to 30 yards shorter, to me that's the way to go.

Absolutely.

But hitting it consistently and 30 yards longer is even better.

To be honest I don't think we really disagree with each other. Putting is huge. Massively important. Of course it is.

But so is driving / tee shots. I guess all I'm saying is the old phrase should be Drive for Dough and Putt for Dough. :lol:

People who pretend that monster drive isn't important are just plain wrong man.

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news-and-events/general-news/2016/february/forget-drive-for-show-putt-for-dough--its-not-putting-thats-letting-you-down/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/drive-for-show-and-putt-for-dough-not-true-says-mark-broadie/amp

I think a quality driver would have a bigger impact over a quality putter, if you are decent at putting you will still be decent with a cheap putter.

Give me a crap tinny diver with a whippy shaft and I'd be losing 2 shots a hole regularly by going 3 off the tee.

Samuel Camazzola

I think a quality driver would have a bigger impact over a quality putter, if you are decent at putting you will still be decent with a cheap putter.

Give me a crap tinny diver with a whippy shaft and I'd be losing 2 shots a hole regularly by going 3 off the tee.

I think you've missed the point. It's about investing time and trialling putters that are best for you even if it means considering a model that's slightly more expensive than your usual spend on a flatstick.

Putter. Has to be. 18 tee shots and 14/15 are drives ... turning 40 putts into 28 is another ball game.

This! I can't understand why anyone would think differently.

Helped by some beer I've been drinking, I've just put in a couple of offers on a couple of old Pings. An Echo and an A-Blade 5BZ. Another couple end auctions soon and will be bought quite cheaply I think.

Season's almost over... let's buy 4 putters. What else would I do?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This! I can't understand why anyone would think differently.

Putting will save you the most strokes.

Just not convinced that the equipment can make so much difference as other clubs or even balls.

There will be an optimum putter for each of us but not necessarily the most expensive one. Really is feel. Whereas a driver or wedge higher up the scale has forgiveness a putter doesn't. Alignment and stroke. Just wish I could do it well :)

Just won a Rite-In 5. With the A-Blade it's a total of ?58 inc the postages. Thankfully I'm also selling clubs and this will be covered by any 1 of the 3 up for sale. Mad as a brush.

on the course at the crack of dawn this morning squeezing in 9 holes before travelling to Patrick.

4 birdies and 5 pars with a half set of clubs. Holed everything. Pretty sure I've used all the good golf up ahead of tomorrow's medal

on the course at the crack of dawn this morning squeezing in 9 holes before travelling to Patrick.

4 birdies and 5 pars with a half set of clubs. Holed everything. Pretty sure I've used all the good golf up ahead of tomorrow's medal

Don't worry about it. Different tees means different course. Barring a freaky coincidence you'll be putting from different places on the greens. It has no bearing.

Say hi to Patrick for us :)

Happy chappy tonight.

Went for a round at Kirkcaldy this afternoon and by far the best I?ve played all year, actually equalled my personal best of +12. Ball striking was excellent and the huge difference from last week was that I was holing putts.

Was millimetres from my first ever eagle. Par 5 17th and I smashed the rim of the cup from 100 yards out. Gutted!

Samuel Camazzola

Went up to Forfar on Sunday with a mate to play in their Open 4 ball better ball, mate from Bathgate picked me up, so best part of 2hrs travel for him. Then we weren't allowed to play, on arrival we were told we didn't have playing partners but they had organised a marker, this was about 40mins before our tee time. So we got ready then went to the starter about 10mins before our tee time to be told we couldn't play as they didn't have a marker and got nothing but attitude from the guy basically saying it's not his problem and what do we want him to do. I wasn't happy to say the least, I've reported them to both the R&A and SGU. Absolute joke of a set up, how can you take people's money let them enter a comp, then tell them when they're due to tee off that they can't play, let alone be so rude to them when it's your mistake.

Did you get a response to this?

Did you get a response to this?

Got told they had a committee meeting on Monday and would get back to me. Emailed them again on Thursday asking what the outcome was and I'm yet to get a response. Only had a response from them saying it was getting looked into after I emailed the County Golf President and he emailed them and copied me in. It's really been terribly handled, can't believe they made such a mess of it in the first place and are yet to remedy it, if anything they've made the experience worse.

Samuel Camazzola

Got told they had a committee meeting on Monday and would get back to me. Emailed them again on Thursday asking what the outcome was and I'm yet to get a response. Only had a response from them saying it was getting looked into after I emailed the County Golf President and he emailed them and copied me in. It's really been terribly handled, can't believe they made such a mess of it in the first place and are yet to remedy it, if anything they've made the experience worse.

Shambles. Should have been dealt with immediately.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Just in from Carnoustie. Got back to my car to find a helicopter parked next to it on the grass. 13 fine holes 5 shockers. Holed an estimated 60 footer for par and lapped the green. One more round left

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cheeky ****er you. :lol: Parking in the H.

Wanted to hang around to see who got in. Cheeky barmaid in the club asked if it was ours :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Should?ve said: ?Aye, you want to see my chopper, then??

:ruiner:

:rofl:

:oohmatron:

Id have been petrified if she said yes. Big lady. Big.

Played Kinross Montgomery today and continued the good golf from yesterday. Only missed 2 fairways in 3 rounds, which is absolutely huge for me - whenever I play well off the tee, I score.

Pairs event at Boat of Garten, we played well apart from our putting, not a single birdie to be had, mainly down to my playing partner missing them all :lol: although I did miss a 2 footer for birdie after driving the 15th green to about 30 foot :facepalm: 77 shot with our handicap of 6.

Horror round yesterday. Was well on target for a 40 on the front nine until 4-putting the 8th then putting my drive in a bunker on the 9th. 3 shots to get out. Treble bogey. Out in 45. 

Proceeded to find pretty much every bunker possible on the back 9 and wasn't any more successful getting out of them. Stopped keeping my score by the 13th. :seething:

Played Kinross Montgomery today and continued the good golf from yesterday. Only missed 2 fairways in 3 rounds, which is absolutely huge for me - whenever I play well off the tee, I score.

That's good. When a player achieves things never done before, whether they be medal scores or bounce scores or even less formal things like a number of pars or birdies in a round, or starts to do the right things on a more consistent basis, they usually become easier to do again and become the norm rather than the exception. Sounds like you have the basis of progression. Little steps just now sometimes turn into bigger leaps. Sometimes out of the blue.

That's good. When a player achieves things never done before, whether they be medal scores or bounce scores or even less formal things like a number of pars or birdies in a round, or starts to do the right things on a more consistent basis, they usually become easier to do again and become the norm rather than the exception. Sounds like you have the basis of progression. Little steps just now sometimes turn into bigger leaps. Sometimes out of the blue.

Thanks Vic. It just seems to have clicked over the last 3 rounds, long may it continue!

My Titleist?s I?m playing now, are about 5-10 yards longer than my shitty ones I?d played with for over 10 years, in fairness.

?Cause I?m not playing often, I forget how strong the lofts are. Especially on my PW...

It?s not the guns. :lol:

I?ve always had good timing (again playing time dependant,) and can hit it far enough when I?m in a good rhythm. My swing speed?s about 102mph on average, so I?ve been told. Never really pay attention to that though.

GUNS

I'm a 1 club less guy,minimum, 8 iron 145 smooth swing, could probably get 160 out of an 8, but I'm a long way past trying to murder my shots nowadays. :lol:

My biggest flaw when I got back into golf about 10 years ago was trying to smash every club.

Rather have your handicap though...

That can be achieved though. Most golfers have a realistic chance to get to a handicap of 6-10. It takes a bit of time, consistency and a gradually increasing expectancy. I spent too long arseing about in truth. It's only in more recent years that I've improved my all round play and consistency to get back to where I was 20-25 years ago. I would have been off 6 right now but for two bogey-bogey endings to my two good medal rounds this year. The first time was bad luck but the second time was two weak putts.

The mental side of things is incredibly important. There was a time when there's no way those finishes would have happened. You can't let your mind wander or back off for a second or you'll get a boot in the arse.

I'm a 1 club less guy,minimum, 8 iron 145 smooth swing, could probably get 160 out of an 8, but I'm a long way past trying to murder my shots nowadays. :lol:

My biggest flaw when I got back into golf about 10 years ago was trying to smash every club.

You've got to your level after 10 years?

:muggy:

Good going likes.

You've got to your level after 10 years?

:muggy:

Good going likes.

No, no I started when I was about 7 until I was 17/18, then went to the pub instead, but I got back into it at 21/22 again.

Oddly gave it up when I was off 9 and came back after not playing for years, did my cards and got a handicap of 7 :lol:

7? Were you shite at football or something? :lol:

Good at everything, tbh. Had trials at Spurs/Newcastle/Everton.

*not true :lol:

Yeah, I?ve got problems with some of what you say. Think I?ve touched on it before.

Once upon a time i was a 14 handicap. So, I know I could get down there again, given more playing time & practising on the course. Hate driving ranges.

Trouble is, I?m not actually bothered going lower.

Reasons:

1) Work.

2) Family.

3) Not a member anywmore.

4) Cant see me wanting to join in the future.

5) If did, cannot stand the politics and arseholery of some people, and the obsession with being *****, when it comes to competitions.

7) Won?t play comps anymore. My weekends off are more important to me.

6) The guy?s I play with...who admit they?re not the best...are a good laugh, and we hardly see each other due to 1&2, so we(I) am happy to just get out & play and have a laugh.

I?m at a point, that if I play more next summer(don?t play winters) which I hope I can, I?ll try to get down to my previous level, & I?ll be happy with that. That?s my goal nowadays. Maybe as much as 4-5 years ago I wanted to hit 10 possibly.

Not anymore. I?m having too much fun as is despite some inconsistency. I?d normally be a bit harsh on myself for a wayward driver tee-shot before. Back 9 today, it clicked into place and they were down the middle each time I used it.

Nothing wrong with that. Arguably it's how lots of other folk would like ti be. To golf for the enjoyment of the game.

I'm the polar opposite. Hate bounce games. Only interested in medals and matchplay comps, with the exception of outings and trips away. It's not that I don't enjoy golfing but if you googled 'Mr Competitive' you would probably find a picture of my mug.

I can understand your dislike of the club environment.

No, no I started when I was about 7 until I was 17/18, then went to the pub instead, but I got back into it at 21/22 again.

Oddly gave it up when I was off 9 and came back after not playing for years, did my cards and got a handicap of 7 :lol:

Haha. You must have pissed off the match secretary before you packed in.

That reminds me of someone who played their handicap cards for the first time and was given 10. He was nowhere near it and spent about the next 10 years trying to play to it and managing it about 0 times. Before jacking it in. :D

Been using the Callaway Epic over the last 5 rounds I've played.

Swapped someone on GumTree for my Titleist 917 D2.

It's an absolute rocket. I've easily gained 15 yards doing nothing different. Comes off the clubface hot. More penetrating flight. Really impressed. Maybe the shaft suiting me better also. Not a clue. But it's very different and noticeably longer for sure.

Good article on Golf Shake this week about how far we hit it and our delusions :)

Have you a link to that.. There is so much stuff on their website I cant find it. 

William H. Bonney

I'm looking to play golf on Monday and have 4 courses in mind.

Liberton

Dunblane

Bridge of Allan

Tuliallan.

Any of those you'd recommend?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread