Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

3 wood? It's 300 yards :lol:

I wish!

It doesn't play it though. The last 30-35 yards are a run down to the green. The tee box was lengthened just before I left to add about 20 yards to the hole.

Even the 10th is around 310 but is driveable with a 3 iron hybrid. That said, I don't know how much the course has softened up with the recent wet spell.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't play it though. The last 30-35 yards are a run down to the green. The tee box was lengthened just before I left to add about 20 yards to the hole.

Even the 10th is around 310 but is driveable with a 3 iron hybrid. That said, I don't know how much the course has softened up with the recent wet spell.

Course was wet today, but in great condition. 9 played nothing like 300yds because as you say it drops away, also the lie of the land meant it was one of the driest areas on the course as most moisture would run off.

I enjoyed it, despite the difficulty of having not played before and not knowing where to leave the ball. That coupled with poor ball striking and it was hard work. It's a course you need to plot your way round, but there are a good few you can go for too

Samuel Camazzola

Course was wet today, but in great condition. 9 played nothing like 300yds because as you say it drops away, also the lie of the land meant it was one of the driest areas on the course as most moisture would run off.

I enjoyed it, despite the difficulty of having not played before and not knowing where to leave the ball. That coupled with poor ball striking and it was hard work. It's a course you need to plot your way round, but there are a good few you can go for too

Yeah, it's a short, plotters course. You can take driver on 1 even though it's not needed. I've even seen someone drive to the trolley line at the front of the green when the fairway was dry and fiery.

IMO, the driver can then stay in the bag until 14. 16 is driveable and worth a crack.

The course used to be really open but lots of trees were planted along 2 and 10 to punish wayward tee shots.

7 used to have a huge tree at the corner of the dog-leg but the wind brought it down. It gives the opportunity to the brave to take on a short cut.

Yeah, it's a short, plotters course. You can take driver on 1 even though it's not needed. I've even seen someone drive to the trolley line at the front of the green when the fairway was dry and fiery.

IMO, the driver can then stay in the bag until 14. 16 is driveable and worth a crack.

The course used to be really open but lots of trees were planted along 2 and 10 to punish wayward tee shots.

7 used to have a huge tree at the corner of the dog-leg but the wind brought it down. It gives the opportunity to the brave to take on a short cut.

I took too long a club off a lot of tees as misjudged yardages to things and caused myself a lot of problems.

I drove 16 like you say as it's straight and everything is in front of you, did take driver on other holes and some I got away with, others I didn't. 14 was one of them as driver got me up to the big trees on the right, would probably take 3 wood if playing that again. Thought 15 was good for driver though

Samuel Camazzola

I took too long a club off a lot of tees as misjudged yardages to things and caused myself a lot of problems.

I drove 16 like you say as it's straight and everything is in front of you, did take driver on other holes and some I got away with, others I didn't. 14 was one of them as driver got me up to the big trees on the right, would probably take 3 wood if playing that again. Thought 15 was good for driver though

15 is a good hole. The Robin's Nest pub is a good line and the two-time green can make things interesting. I've pulled a few tee shots in my time on that hole and been left with shots from the big ditch in front of the 16th tee! :D

15 is a good hole. The Robin's Nest pub is a good line and the two-time green can make things interesting. I've pulled a few tee shots in my time on that hole and been left with shots from the big ditch in front of the 16th tee! :D

Looks like you could drown down there if there's been some rain. It's like a sink hole

hmfc_liam06

Ah well, no prizes for me. There must have been a fair few low scores in the afternoon.

Telling that a lot of members have scooped prizes showing course knowledge definitely required.

hmfc_liam06

Question regarding handicap cuts....

What happens when your score means you drop a category? For example, my score yesterday means I'll be dropping down to cat 3. As I was 3 under and sat at 20.6, is it one 0.4 cut then 2 x 0.3? Or is it just 3 x 0.4? The cut off for cat 4 is 20.5 I believe.

Samuel Camazzola

Visitor CSS was 69 yesterday for those interested.

Should result in a decent cut for me.

http://www.masterscoreboard.co.uk/results/CompetitionResult.php?CWID=6286&Competition=8664

The guy that won it is a good player and has been there since his junior days. The guy who was 2nd was off 1 when I was there.

I'm sure the hole in one was by the club secretary (or former secretary). The name is familiar.

Good scoring from you. What's the short term target? Get down to 18 so you're stroking no more than 1 per hole?

hmfc_liam06

The guy that won it is a good player and has been there since his junior days. The guy who was 2nd was off 1 when I was there.

I'm sure the hole in one was by the club secretary (or former secretary). The name is familiar.

Good scoring from you. What's the short term target? Get down to 18 so you're stroking no more than 1 per hole?

Yeah 18 is the aim. Hopefully get to 18 point something by end of this year.

The tee shots are gonna have to pick up if I'm to get lower than that.

Samuel Camazzola

Yeah 18 is the aim. Hopefully get to 18 point something by end of this year.

The tee shots are gonna have to pick up if I'm to get lower than that.

What was your exact before the Open? You must only be a round or two away from 18 now.

Seeing as the season end is near (for me anyway) :lol: did anyone have any set targets for the season, my aim was to get to 2... Started the season at 4.3 and I'm currently 3.2, lowest I got to was 3.0.

Last month or so I've not been playing as well as early on but been managing your hit buffer and have 0.1 knocked off at spey Valley. putter has warmed up slightly as the rest of the game has fallen away slightly... Gotta love this game!

hmfc_liam06

What was your exact before the Open? You must only be a round or two away from 18 now.

20.6. I should be down to 19.6 now so another decent showing between now and the end of the season will see me in the 18's.

hmfc_liam06

Seeing as the season end is near (for me anyway) :lol: did anyone have any set targets for the season, my aim was to get to 2... Started the season at 4.3 and I'm currently 3.2, lowest I got to was 3.0.

Last month or so I've not been playing as well as early on but been managing your hit buffer and have 0.1 knocked off at spey Valley. putter has warmed up slightly as the rest of the game has fallen away slightly... Gotta love this game!

My aim was to get to 18.9 or less, nearly there! I've got about 5 competitions left I reckon.

Samuel Camazzola

The Players to move to March and PGA Championship to May from 2019.

Could be a good thing for the European Tour and will help attract more players to the Olympics.

23 points last night in the American Golf 9 hole championship, -1 for the 9 holes played at The Torrance, St Andrews Bay. Enough to qualify me for The Belfry next month. Just need to see if I can now get the time off work to go play.

+7 after 4 today. :facepalm:

Back to +6 after 9.

Sums my year up so far, ridiculously inconsistent

I sympathise. I've had too many doubles and worse myself this year in the medals. 7 doubles and 4 worse from 8 medal rounds. Only 7 birdies to mitigate. I think I only had about 4 doubles and 1 treble from around 11 medals last year and 3 of those 5 were in the first one alone.

The ability to remain unaffected by the odd bad hole is important. It's even harder when they come along in multiples. You've played the next 5 in one under by the looks of it and it's tidied up the front 9 score no end.

hmfc_liam06

+7 after 4 today. :facepalm:

Back to +6 after 9.

Sums my year up so far, ridiculously inconsistent

I hear you!

I've been starting very poorly in most competitions this year. Means having to pull something out the bag, which I've been doing mostly but it's infuriating.

On the subject. The doubles that are easier to move on from are the obvious poor shots into trouble. Lost ball or dobbed into the bushes, etc. Always toiling to avoid a bad one.

The ones that really annoy are the all too easy occasions when you take 4 to get down from the short grass and a wedge in your hand. Or 4 to get down from a bunker. It's the ability to have a secure 'down in 3' short game that makes a huge difference.

Yeah going +7 was entirely down to abysmal shots from within 80 yards.

Every drive was banged down the middle. So frustrating.

Been sticking in 36/37 pointers all year but never enough for a cut as CSS is usually 67 on a par 68.

Tonight....CSS 69.

****ing NR!!

:seething:

Been sticking in 36/37 pointers all year but never enough for a cut as CSS is usually 67 on a par 68.

Tonight....CSS 69.

******* NR!!

:seething:

Sounds like you're having my luck, I've been the same with CSS's this year. Then shoot a score on Tuesday night but it was only a 9 hole comp. Still, suppose I could of blew up on the back 9 if I had to play it

Sounds like you're having my luck, I've been the same with CSS's this year. Then shoot a score on Tuesday night but it was only a 9 hole comp. Still, suppose I could of blew up on the back 9 if I had to play it

Wont you get a cut for that score even though it's 9 holes?

Wont you get a cut for that score even though it's 9 holes?

No, don't think you can get cut for only playing 9 as everything is worked out on 18, I could of potentially bogeyed every hole coming in

No, don't think you can get cut for only playing 9 as everything is worked out on 18, I could of potentially bogeyed every hole coming in

I'm sure you can, when I was at Aberdour there was a weekly Monday night 9 hole stableford.

I'm sure you can, when I was at Aberdour there was a weekly Monday night 9 hole stableford.

Yip,our club does them every Tuesday, all the old gits play it. Not for me.

I'll need to look into it and see if there was a set standard scratch. Looks like anyone organising one has to apply for a 9 hole standard scratch certificate. Not everyone played the same 9 either, but definitely worth looking into, could help the handicap

deesidejambo

I'll need to look into it and see if there was a set standard scratch. Looks like anyone organising one has to apply for a 9 hole standard scratch certificate. Not everyone played the same 9 either, but definitely worth looking into, could help the handicap

If not everyone played the same 9 i can't see how they could work out a SSS?

Anyone playing the Carrick Vale open tomorrow? My brother plays there and has roped me into it, played the course once wasn't overly impressed with it but i've agreed to go so don't want to pull out this late.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm more of a social golfer than a club golfer same as my mate. So a bit in the dark.

Opens? Can anyone rock up as long as you have a certificate and are the competitions played off the medals?

I'm more of a social golfer than a club golfer same as my mate. So a bit in the dark.

Opens? Can anyone rock up as long as you have a certificate and are the competitions played off the medals?

As long as you have a home club with a valid handicap, then yes. Opens are a fantastic way of playing top courses for a fraction of the price, my summer is basically playing as many opens as I can :lol:

Plus there is always an opportunity of winning vouchers!!!

Edit, most clubs are online booking now which is a lot less hassle.

Edited by Irufushi

As long as you have a home club with a valid handicap, then yes. Opens are a fantastic way of playing top courses for a fraction of the price, my summer is basically playing as many opens as I can :lol:

Plus there is always an opportunity of winning vouchers!!!

Edit, most clubs are online booking now which is a lot less hassle.

The online booking is great as it means you can pick your time and play with your mates. I'm not competition hardened enough to be playing with randoms, a lot more relaxed playing with guys I know.

Another great way of playing other courses for cheap is Texas Scrambles, I've played 3 or 4 this year at courses where the greenfees are ?80+ and it's been ?15-?20 a head. Much more relaxed too on a course you don't know. Means I can make a ***** of it and it not really matter :lol:

The online booking is great as it means you can pick your time and play with your mates. I'm not competition hardened enough to be playing with randoms, a lot more relaxed playing with guys I know.

Another great way of playing other courses for cheap is Texas Scrambles, I've played 3 or 4 this year at courses where the greenfees are ?80+ and it's been ?15-?20 a head. Much more relaxed too on a course you don't know. Means I can make a ***** of it and it not really matter :lol:

Yea, agree about playing with your mates, much better. Playing a scramble tomorrow for the first time in about 3 years at my old home course. Looking forward to it.

Samuel Camazzola

35 points today.

A 3-putt, a 4-putt contributing to a double and an OB approach shot on the front nine put me up against it.

Scrambled well after that and striking was pretty solid.

32 points. I was +5 thru 5 and then +1 for the next 8. Things were looking set up for a possible late charge at a good score but all the water in the sky came down all at once at the 14th. Managed to hole a good putt for a par there and better ones for bogeys at the next 2. By this time everything was soaked and I eventually came unstuck at the 17th and had an unbelievable horseshoe out at the last. Apart from some decent stuff mid-round it wasn't very good.

Edited by Victorian

Broomieknowe is a decent course. Hit the ball well but putted like a right prick.

Someone shot 64 + 3!!!

Yeah I like it.

1,2,3 and 16,17,18 are all serious birdie chances.

Keep it steady 4-15 and a low score is well possible!

Out of interest, what did you hit off the tee on 6?

I hooked a 5 iron which left me about 210 to the green. Didn't think much of that one to be honest. Probably because I can't fade it

It's a hole I've never liked because of the tee shot.

Had a good laugh at the scramble shot -13 with 2 eagles of par 4's one from me on a 310 yard par 4 downhill to about 4 feet, and my mate on a 300 yarder from just off the green drained a 30 footer :lol:

Nett 50.7 :lol: better win with that!!!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread