Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Dedicated, Liam. I'll give you that, mate.

Got to take the chance while you can. Mrs is busy all week with her own business so why no eh!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm playing the Ullapool 2 day open, sat/sun. Weather looks iffy, but really looking forward to it, my mate has it in lovely condition.

Might as well, mate.

I'm home on Saturday for 10 days, & hoping I'll get out & play a couple of rounds with my Dad at his local in St.Fillan's.

He only plays 9 holes usually, so I'll take that. And it's a nice walkable course.

Be nice to join in with his group, & thrash the seniors again...

:brucey:

Is that the 9 holer next to Loch Earn?

That's the one. Sandy Lyle's home course. Dad was Captain at Killin just up the Glen, but as they live in Lochearnhead, and he was fed up with the politics there, went for St.Fillan's for the future.

Glad he did. Nice course.

We used to go camping on the south side every year, great wee place.

Love Crail Balcomie. Leven is another I quite like. Never played Lundin Links.

Edited by Victorian

Lord Beni of Gorgie

That's the one. Sandy Lyle's home course. Dad was Captain at Killin just up the Glen, but as they live in Lochearnhead, and he was fed up with the politics there, went for St.Fillan's for the future.

Glad he did. Nice course.

Backed St Fillans in the Grand National once

Yeah mate, think I love it more than them :lol:

Youngest needs to stop watching the wildlife and thinking about his golf :lol:

Eldest is getting there. It's his putting that's letting him down, 3 putts most of the time :(

Both still young though and they'll get there, just as long as they're enjoying it though, that's the main thing.

Have you checked to see if they're on the Finals Day email???  Don't miss it, it's a great event.  We were at Baberton then Craigmillar Park and Pumpherston this weekend, all for ?3 each, great value for 18 holes!

Glad you're all enjoying it!

Edited by Armageddon

luckyBatistuta

Have you checked to see if they're on the Finals Day email???  Don't miss it, it's a great event.  We were at Baberton then Craigmillar Park and Pumpherston this weekend, all for ?3 each, great value for 18 holes!

Glad you're all enjoying it!

Cheers bud, my eldest has qualified for Finals Day, but his little brother is still trying. Hopefully this will be his weekend at Pumpherston, especially as they are both going to be using balls with the Hearts badge on them to hopefully bring them a bit of luck. Hopefully see you there, but if not, best of luck :thumb:

Love Crail Balcomie. Leven is another I quite like. Never played Lundin Links.

Hoping to play Craighead as I've already played Balcomie. Mates a member there.

Cheers bud, my eldest has qualified for Finals Day, but his little brother is still trying. Hopefully this will be his weekend at Pumpherston, especially as they are both going to be using balls with the Hearts badge on them to hopefully bring them a bit of luck. Hopefully see you there, but if not, best of luck :thumb:

Magic!  How old are they again???

luckyBatistuta

Magic!  How old are they again???

8 and 10

How old is your lad? Are you in the stroke play, we haven't qualified for that yet, just the Flag Finals Day.

8 and 10

How old is your lad? Are you in the stroke play, we haven't qualified for that yet, just the Flag Finals Day.

He's just turned 10 and in the strokeplay, he somehow done it a few weeks before his 9th birthday at the Hermitage course in 34, been doing ok this season, down to 23 and has cut 7 off the handicap since the middle of May and had a few placings at the SG events.  The difference has been he's been out playing more medals, we also got him new TaylorMade clubs and an Oddssey putter ... going to go for an M2 early next year, I luckily know the rep Luke and he's sorting me out with a couple of shafts so I can swap out when he grows.  Costly but it's just the shaft cost for a few years after the initial outlay.

North Berwick is the best chance to do the 36, it's always the first one in April, get them down for a few games before April and they'll eat up the kids course, the greens are lightening!!  We had this big chase to do the 36 asap, but it's tough in the stroke, they're only wee boys and now fighting it out on proper courses, Craigmillar Park is a trek!

luckyBatistuta

He's just turned 10 and in the strokeplay, he somehow done it a few weeks before his 9th birthday at the Hermitage course in 34, been doing ok this season, down to 23 and has cut 7 off the handicap since the middle of May and had a few placings at the SG events.  The difference has been he's been out playing more medals, we also got him new TaylorMade clubs and an Oddssey putter ... going to go for an M2 early next year, I luckily know the rep Luke and he's sorting me out with a couple of shafts so I can swap out when he grows.  Costly but it's just the shaft cost for a few years after the initial outlay.

North Berwick is the best chance to do the 36, it's always the first one in April, get them down for a few games before April and they'll eat up the kids course, the greens are lightening!!  We had this big chase to do the 36 asap, but it's tough in the stroke, they're only wee boys and now fighting it out on proper courses, Craigmillar Park is a trek!

That's great going, what age did he start? Definitely a trek around there for kids that age. My eldest has been in with a chance of it a couple of times, but imploded. As I said, it's the putting letting them down. Part of me wants them to get the 36, but I dont actually think I want them to until they've had a little more practice and experience. Don't want them to get disheartened, mainly want them just to enjoy themselves.

That's great going, what age did he start? Definitely a trek around there for kids that age. My eldest has been in with a chance of it a couple of times, but imploded. As I said, it's the putting letting them down. Part of me wants them to get the 36, but I dont actually think I want them to until they've had a little more practice and experience. Don't want them to get disheartened, mainly want them just to enjoy themselves.

Aye looking back I'd have kept him in the flag for a while and chilled out. He's practiced more than ever these last few months and knocking 7 off has just made him practice more! Tiger was scratch at 12 and keeps talking about that! So he has until the day before his 13th birthday to match that haha ... as long as he's enjoying it then that's the main thing!

Get that putting sorted and your boy will improve big time

luckyBatistuta

Aye looking back I'd have kept him in the flag for a while and chilled out. He's practiced more than ever these last few months and knocking 7 off has just made him practice more! Tiger was scratch at 12 and keeps talking about that! So he has until the day before his 13th birthday to match that haha ... as long as he's enjoying it then that's the main thing!

Get that putting sorted and your boy will improve big time

Not enough hours in the week. Football, Karate, Boys Brigade and Drama too. I'm trying to get him to give up the football, which takes up so much of his week, so we can have some time to practice the golf.

Not enough hours in the week. Football, Karate, Boys Brigade and Drama too. I'm trying to get him to give up the football, which takes up so much of his week, so we can have some time to practice the golf.

This is his 3rd full season at the SGF, so he was 6 when we started going along in the April.  All the kids waste loads of shots on putting and the sooner you tighten that up then life becomes easier.

This might seem OTT, plastic cup on the floor, 5 or 6 balls down on the carpet in a row, see how many they can hit off the cup in a row with each putt getting longer in distance ... it's helping their distance control.  We need to meet up on finals day!

luckyBatistuta

This is his 3rd full season at the SGF, so he was 6 when we started going along in the April.  All the kids waste loads of shots on putting and the sooner you tighten that up then life becomes easier.

This might seem OTT, plastic cup on the floor, 5 or 6 balls down on the carpet in a row, see how many they can hit off the cup in a row with each putt getting longer in distance ... it's helping their distance control.  We need to meet up on finals day!

I'll get them to give that a try. Wife will probably go nuts about her new skirting boards getting hit though :lol: she has OCD

Yeah we should, really looking forward to it.

Samuel Camazzola

Anyone played the Roxburghe? Due to play there Monday and forecast is for 30mph winds, tree lined?

Great course. Quite long but not tight.

A bit of a trek to get to.

Samuel Camazzola

Down there anyway and have a Bunkered voucher.

You'll enjoy it. A good variety of holes.

I found the par 5s quite easy but some tricky par 4s.

You'll enjoy it. A good variety of holes.

I found the par 5s quite easy but some tricky par 4s.

Just hoping the wind dies down a bit, brutal playing in that level of wind!

Samuel Camazzola

31 points at the Fairmont Torrance today. Ball striking was average but too many three putts again. Didn't get the pace of greens until later on. Finished with an eagle so onwards and upwards!

Irufushi - played the front nine with one of the Nike Platinum balls but found it a tad firm from what I'm used to. The Vice balls seem to have more of a feel and control about them. Will try them again to see if I can adapt to them.

36 points for me today, again it could of been better, certainly wasn't helped by the course conditions. Was at Greenburn and the course was soaking to the stage you were actually struggling to take relief in some areas.

72, 2 over par for me for day 1 of the 2 day open at Ullapool, started poorly and went out in +3, returned -1. Co leader going in to day 2.

37 stableford points.

Played my first round of golf ever today. Complete novice but I enjoyed it. Could be the start of a new obsession!

32 points. A very familiar 1st hole double and first 5 holes struggle. Not bad after that. A couple drifted off but I was very pleased with my mid-long iron striking. The tempo amd timing was there. Hit some nice 56 wedge shots. Had no wedges, 9s, 8s or 7s to play. Tried to lash a couple of drives and they went left. Got most drives spot on.

The golf is there but it just needs a good start and a few birdies.

33 points for me, enough to win the 2 day open but up point 1 :lol: won well over 400 in vouchers this season :pleasing:

Well done mate, good shooting over a weekend. You've had a great year. Rate you're going the taxman will be chasing you for a second income

33 points for me, enough to win the 2 day open but up point 1 :lol: won well over 400 in vouchers this season :pleasing:

Well done mate, good shooting over a weekend. You've had a great year. Rate you're going the taxman will be chasing you for a second income

Taxman?  How about his equipment supplier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Purchased a new 3 wood today, titleist 917f 2, tried several different ones but this one had the best flight for me (lower) was clocking 150 ball speed, first time I've been on one of those cg2 or whatever its called?89 quid after having 150 in vouchers.

Special mention to the Taylormade M1 and M2 which were horrendous, not a make of woods I've ever liked when I have tried them.

I'm a Taylormade chap myself but I do recall a few of the lads at the club bemoaning the M2. A couple of guys have been saying they were fitted for it and can't now hit it.

Another point regarding fitting. A higher handicapper at the club (18 I think) went for custom fitted clubs. He was told his swing speed waa fast enough for X shafts. He knocked that back and I have to agree with him. Swing speed is one thing but surely consistent ball striking is even more important.

I'm a Taylormade chap myself but I do recall a few of the lads at the club bemoaning the M2. A couple of guys have been saying they were fitted for it and can't now hit it.

Another point regarding fitting. A higher handicapper at the club (18 I think) went for custom fitted clubs. He was told his swing speed waa fast enough for X shafts. He knocked that back and I have to agree with him. Swing speed is one thing but surely consistent ball striking is even more important.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day, I expected to go and test several 3 woods expecting to come out with the epic because I really like callaway woods, turned out it wasn't for me. Nearly got all titleist clubs now with the exception of my driver and putter.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day, I expected to go and test several 3 woods expecting to come out with the epic because I really like callaway woods, turned out it wasn't for me. Nearly got all titleist clubs now with the exception of my driver and putter.

Putter next then? Scotty Cameron? Never had one myself, not even one in my history of a million putters.

Putter next then? Scotty Cameron? Never had one myself, not even one in my history of a million putters.

I have a scotty, in my cupboard :lol: bought the tour black taylormade a few months ago and love it. Tbf the scotty lasted me longer than any other putter.

I have a scotty, in my cupboard :lol: bought the tour black taylormade a few months ago and love it. Tbf the scotty lasted me longer than any other putter.

I think I'll devote the rest of the season to my OAP putter I've had for 30+ years. It was used when I got it. A Justin. Very similar to the old Ping Anser.

Going to have my Ping B60 shortened by two inches and get a Superstoke grip on it.

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Going to have my Ping B60 shortened by two inches and get a Superstoke grip on it.

It's all about preference but we wary of putting a Superstroke on the B60. The model I have is about 18 years old. I got the grip put on it a couple of years ago and think it has impacted the counter balance. It's quite a light headed putter and I think this grip makes it feel even lighter and difficult to judge consistent pace.

My putter is 35 inches but don't know if shortening it would help.

It's all about preference but we wary of putting a Superstroke on the B60. The model I have is about 18 years old. I got the grip put on it a couple of years ago and think it has impacted the counter balance. It's quite a light headed putter and I think this grip makes it feel even lighter and difficult to judge consistent pace.

My putter is 35 inches but don't know if shortening it would help.

Possibly. Definitely getting it shortened but may try another grip.

I have a TM Rossa TP Kia Mia that's been in cold storage for a bit. It's got the circus clown sized Superstroke on it. I may get a thinner one for it. I'm also going to get a Crossline Jumbo put on my driver.

Suppot your local pro... but make him earn it. :D

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Possibly. Definitely getting it shortened but may try another grip.

The Superstroke I got is a 'Slim 2.0' Is your other one a 'Fatso'? Try and have a look to see what the current day B60 is fitted with and if its head weight is similar to the original.

I've just picked up a Taylormade TP Berwick putter as wanted a mid mallet type. Will give it a run out this week.

Fatso on the Kia Mia. 2.0 on the Odyssey.

So shaft shorten and regrip on the B60. 2.0 on the Kia Mia. Crossline Jumbo on the driver. Get them all done at the same time... then remind the pro I've got account credit to pay for it all.

::troll:::'>

The Superstroke I got is a 'Slim 2.0' Is your other one a 'Fatso'? Try and have a look to see what the current day B60 is fitted with and if its head weight is similar to the original.

I've just picked up a Taylormade TP Berwick putter as wanted a mid mallet type. Will give it a run out this week.

Mallets are very marmite. I had a Zebra ages ago. Never took to it.

Not long in the door from my weekend in the borders.

Played Hirsel Sat/Sun with my Society. Great course, really enjoyed it. The two rounds contrasted quite spectacularly though between the drunken Sat and the utterly hanging Sun :lol:

Played Kelso (meh) and Roxburghe today. Roxburghe was incredible. Up there as one of my favourites to date. Some spectacular holes. Reminded me of the Dukes in St Andrews.

Samuel Camazzola

Not long in the door from my weekend in the borders.

Played Hirsel Sat/Sun with my Society. Great course, really enjoyed it. The two rounds contrasted quite spectacularly though between the drunken Sat and the utterly hanging Sun :lol:

Played Kelso (meh) and Roxburghe today. Roxburghe was incredible. Up there as one of my favourites to date. Some spectacular holes. Reminded me of the Dukes in St Andrews.

The Roxburghe is a good course and would like to play it again. It's a bonus when you get it as part of a voucher deal like Bunkered or the golf show.

I eagled both par 5s on the back 9 in the same round so have fond memories of the place!

The Roxburghe is a good course and would like to play it again. It's a bonus when you get it as part of a voucher deal like Bunkered or the golf show.

I eagled both par 5s on the back 9 in the same round so have fond memories of the place!

Haha always help playing well! I had a triple on the first and a double on the first par 3 (4th) but managed to close out the back 9 with 3 pars. Rallied to a net 70 so I'm delighted with that given the wind and the length of course that I'm just not used to playing.

Hirsel is a wee gem, if you've not played there I'd recommend it. There's a wee 93 yard par 3, all downhill. You'd think I'd manage to hit the green both days...right? :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Haha always help playing well! I had a triple on the first and a double on the first par 3 (4th) but managed to close out the back 9 with 3 pars. Rallied to a net 70 so I'm delighted with that given the wind and the length of course that I'm just not used to playing.

Hirsel is a wee gem, if you've not played there I'd recommend it. There's a wee 93 yard par 3, all downhill. You'd think I'd manage to hit the green both days...right? :lol:

I reckon I've had 10-12 games at hirsel this summer with the same mate, I'd say he's chunked it into the burn about 8 times from the 10th tee. Stuck in his head!

heading over tonight for my first game there in 4 weeks. Greens good? They've already done most of the winter work on them so was waiting until they recovered before heading over again.

Well done sir, a very good season for you!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread