***Official Heart of Midlothian v Kilmarnock Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

Killie are Set Piece FC under McInnes. Get Kent on Findlay and get a bit more height in.

Kent, Sibbick, Haring, Shankland, Tagawa.

I'm not one for worrying about what they'll do but when we're weak at clearing pieces and they'll be shelling them from the half way line and all other angles, we need to be ready.

Sibbick is terrible in the air.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Clark Griswold

• Don Dan

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Close to what I said early on. Tough on Boyce as he looks really sharp. 

Yeh been really impressed with the nick he's come back in 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Playing at Tynecastle and fan's wanting Shankland to play deep as a 10 , he's a proven goalscorer and out and out 9 I'm just not getting it why a home support wants only one striker up front especially against such teams as Killie that will sit in and hit us on the break 

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Close to what I said early on. Tough on Boyce as he looks really sharp. 

He does look in good nick but to me he is a very good impact sub if things are not happening up front like Thursday.

Edited by One five

15 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Playing at Tynecastle and fan's wanting Shankland to play deep as a 10 , he's a proven goalscorer and out and out 9 I'm just not getting it why a home support wants only one striker up front especially against such teams as Killie that will sit in and hit us on the break 

I guess just because he was so good as a CF last year. Certainly that's my reasoning.

Edit: apologies if anyone has actually suggested him as a 10 and I've missed it...I'd agree with you.

Edited by Taffin

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Not true this, he himself has said he liked playing a bit deeper with Gino up top, this stretches the defenders and allows him to link to play and arrive in the box.

One striker or 3, it doesn't have a bearing on attacking intent or threat either.

Most teams play with one striker, even the best.

I Don't know why you are not getting it either. Think that's on you tbh.

gorgierulesapply88
21 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Big goal on Thursday playing in his position...

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Not true this, he himself has said he liked playing a bit deeper with Gino up top, this stretches the defenders and allows him to link to play and arrive in the box.

One striker or 3, it doesn't have a bearing on attacking intent or threat either.

Most teams play with one striker, even the best.

I Don't know why you are not getting it either. Think that's on you tbh.

Tagawa looks just the player shanks needs fast mobile and you could see he has played at a high level with his movement.  Shanks came alive after running himself in to the ground at Perth with Tagawa and Boyce came on. I could be wrong but think tagawa is going to be a fans favourite. Suppose it was only st Johnstone so see how he does against better sides.

Scott Leitch
48 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Sibbick Kingsley

Calem Haring

Oda Shankland Lowry

Tagawa 

For me please 🙏

I think this will be it 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jtkb said:

Tagawa looks just the player shanks needs fast mobile and you could see he has played at a high level with his movement.  Shanks came alive after running himself in to the ground at Perth with Tagawa and Boyce came on. I could be wrong but think tagawa is going to be a fans favourite. Suppose it was only st Johnstone so see how he does against better sides.

Yip, the you have Oda, Mckay, Lowry and the new guy.

With Boycey ready to come in.

It's a a good balance and mix.

Shankland is imo pretty poor up top on his own, he's too easy to mark.

He's better in the position he plays for us or part of a two up top.

Not many teams play strikers now tho as the midfield gets over run.

38 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Close to what I said early on. Tough on Boyce as he looks really sharp

Now. Come on.

is he sharp? Match fit and well conditioned?

Or thin and skinny like a catwalk model?

I need to know so that when he shins a chance over the roseburn stand I can suggest to those sat around me that he’s a “massive fat coooont”.

1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

Now. Come on.

I need to know so that when he shins a chance over the roseburn stand I can suggest to those sat around me that he’s a “massive fat coooont”.

It’s a good question but because he looks so goddam sexy I can’t decide. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Now. Come on.

Can't he be both?

Akin to  a young Fatima Whitbread?

12 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, the you have Oda, Mckay, Lowry and the new guy.

With Boycey ready to come in.

It's a a good balance and mix.

Shankland is imo pretty poor up top on his own, he's too easy to mark.

He's better in the position he plays for us or part of a two up top.

Not many teams play strikers now tho as the midfield gets over run.

You notice Rosenborg did not play with out and out strikers. There manager is one clever cookie looked like we were playing great with the ball at the back then blam.... The transition from back to front was devastating 5 man attack probs not helped by half a man down in midfield but very clever play. Should keep eye out for that guy if we ever need a coach one day. Was mentioned he had got manager of the year in Norway while back not surprised. And to get a 16 year old playing like that was brilliant. 

No Idle Talk
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

The only demonstration I've noticed is Oda and Shankland can take their goalscoring  chances inside the box without the need for pace.   Both goals from high crosses.   We need movement and players with good control.   Not pinging off their foot and losing the ball in tight spaces.    Pace useful if we get the first goal and they push forward trying to equalise. 

Anyways, I'm looking forward to see what Hearts come up with to smash Kilmarnock. 

The first half against St Johnstone was murder from an attacking sense. Thursday was more of the same. The only time we sparked into life was when we introduced some pace up front late on against St Johnstone. That's the crux of my viewpoint. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, jtkb said:

You notice Rosenborg did not play with out and out strikers. There manager is one clever cookie looked like we were playing great with the ball at the back then blam.... The transition from back to front was devastating 5 man attack probs not helped by half a man down in midfield but very clever play. Should keep eye out for that guy if we ever need a coach one day. Was mentioned he had got manager of the year in Norway while back not surprised. And to get a 16 year old playing like that was brilliant. 

Quote common now, we are pretty fluid up top or are have tried to be.

Shankland and Gino would swap, the wingers would swap, we're missing the midfield dynamo tho that links it together.

Barca do it, have have Man city.

Teams are generally more fluid now a dcplayers can interchange. 

Inside forwards or inverted wingers are also a thing again.

All very exciting. 

Just now, No Idle Talk said:

The first half against St Johnstone was murder from an attacking sense. Thursday was more of the same. The only time we sparked into life was when we introduced some pace up front late on against St Johnstone. That's the crux of my viewpoint. 

No problem.   I get that.   I just can't see Killie opening up the same as St Johnstone did.   No harm in trying a few long balls along the wings.   Their center backs will clean up through the middle. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Maybe that's the plan tho. Especially away from home.

Tire the home team out a bit , keep it tight then use pace when it's most effective- at the back end of a game, when players are mentally and physically tiring.

Pace at the start when it's 100 miles an hour is a bit lost at times,  far more effective for a fresh pacey player to come on at the end v tiring legs.

Pretty obvious stuff imo. 

Ofc we'd want it across the team all the time but that's not realistic but as we have a full compliment of players match fit it may become more of a reality.

Pace also only works with a football brain as well, players still need to be good at football. Hard combination on our budget.

3 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

No problem.   I get that.   I just can't see Killie opening up the same as St Johnstone did.   No harm in trying a few long balls along the wings.   Their center backs will clean up through the middle. 

That pitch they use that B&Q laid for them is a leveler  just like livy one. But on grass they are just a big clogging  route one team. They will be tough to break down get first goal and these teams plans to kill away games is scuppered I believe we have the players to do it at tyncastle so first goal is crucial tomorrow we will just have to be patient this mob ain't coming to play football. 

31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a good question but because he looks so goddam sexy I can’t decide. 

21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Can't he be both?

Akin to  a young Fatima Whitbread?

Both good questions 

5 hours ago, wavydavy said:

McInnes will no doubt come out with the crap about having to try and match our physicality.

I watched the Killie v Rangers game last week and noticed how physical Killie are. They won the games by bullying Rangers. Something to be aware of tomorrow. 

18 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

High balls in would suit killie , playing wide getting in behind them wouldn’t, pace up front on the deck and we will destroy them.

Exile fae Main Street

Off topic, but noticed Scottish Qualifying round today a team called Loch Ness, also didnae know that there was Cupar Hearts tae go with the other Pretenders fae Kelty. Nice to know we're so well liked in Fife. Also noticed today that Newcastle have a player called Joelinton as opposed to one called Joe Linton which to me sounds like a right Geordie name.

Anyway,  hard game tomorrow, hopefully nae "one eye on Thursday capers" fully focused please!

1 hour ago, One five said:

He does look in good nick but to me he is a very good impact sub if things are not happening up front like Thursday.

I think it's important to keep Boyce as a sub for the moment. The last couple of games he has made such a positive impact. I don't really want  Boyce to become a Beni. Let him slowly get up to match fitness safely. He will be crucial for our season ahead. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

I think it's important to keep Boyce as a sub for the moment. The last couple of games he has made such a positive impact. I don't really want  Boyce to become a Beni. Let him slowly get up to match fitness safely. He will be crucial for our season ahead. 

Agree mate 👍

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

100%

17 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Take it we not getting team news or if Vargas available to play etc ? Back to the silence

You’ll find out tomorrow.  They talk a lot of shite in pre-match press conferences anyway. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You’ll find out tomorrow.  They talk a lot of shite in pre-match press conferences anyway. 

Very confident for comfortable victory tomorrow 

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Very confident for comfortable victory tomorrow 

Hope so. I do think we’ll win. Midfield bothers me a wee bit but we should have enough. Different team when we’re at home. 

22 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Take it we not getting team news or if Vargas available to play etc ? Back to the silence

Tomorrow is too soon for McKay but he might be able to feature from the bench on Thursday. Baningime will be assessed before the game.

The above comes from press reports.

As for Vargas, there's been no announcement that he's received his work permit, so I'd assume he won't be eligible until we hear otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Exile fae Main Street said:

Off topic, but noticed Scottish Qualifying round today a team called Loch Ness, also didnae know that there was Cupar Hearts tae go with the other Pretenders fae Kelty. Nice to know we're so well liked in Fife. Also noticed today that Newcastle have a player called Joelinton as opposed to one called Joe Linton which to me sounds like a right Geordie name.

Anyway,  hard game tomorrow, hopefully nae "one eye on Thursday capers" fully focused please!

Have a look at loch Ness website their shirts have the loch Ness monster on them .they are sold out as soon as they come available 🤣

Jingle Bells
30 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Tomorrow is too soon for McKay but he might be able to feature from the bench on Thursday. Baningime will be assessed before the game.

The above comes from press reports.

As for Vargas, there's been no announcement that he's received his work permit, so I'd assume he won't be eligible until we hear otherwise.

BBC seem to think he is a goer.....................

1. Hearts v Kilmarnock: Team newspublished at 09:41

09:41

On-loan forward Kenneth Vargas could make his Hearts debut, while Kyosuke Tagawa and Calem Nieuwenhof are set for their first Tynecastle appearances.

Barrie McKay (ankle), Craig Gordon (broken leg) and Craig Halkett (knee) are out injured, while Alex Cochrane serves the second of a three-game league suspension.

Rory McKenzie, Kyle Vassell and Liam Donnelly played in a closed-doors friendly on Tuesday and are pushing for involvement for Kilmarnock. Joe Wright returns to full training next week.

No Idle Talk
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe that's the plan tho. Especially away from home.

Tire the home team out a bit , keep it tight then use pace when it's most effective- at the back end of a game, when players are mentally and physically tiring.

Pace at the start when it's 100 miles an hour is a bit lost at times,  far more effective for a fresh pacey player to come on at the end v tiring legs.

Pretty obvious stuff imo. 

Ofc we'd want it across the team all the time but that's not realistic but as we have a full compliment of players match fit it may become more of a reality.

Pace also only works with a football brain as well, players still need to be good at football. Hard combination on our budget.

I see what you're saying. But to flip it on it's head a little bit, it would be a risky and foolish strategy to keep our pacy players on the bench consistently and settle for staying in the game for an hour then try to win it at the end. I'm not saying that's what you're advocating but it's not a sound tactic in my view. 

We need to utilise any pace we have to the maximum. That means for ninety minutes. If Tagawa turns out to be a player, we won't be using him as a second half supersub. He'll be an integral starter. He won't be kept in reserve until the opposition tires. 

Edited by No Idle Talk

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Haring Devlin

Oda Shankland Grant

Tagawa

Boyce, Lowry, Vargas off the bench.

I'd like to see Boyce get 20-30 mins.

2 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Agree other than to add he was brought on far far too late on Thurs. 

Jack Torrance
1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

Oda 3 goals

Tagawa 3 goals

Final Score 6 - 0

Lip Up Fatty

Shankland will get at least one

😁

2 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Totally agree. Has anything been said about the extent of Beni’s hamstring injury?

Jambof3tornado
30 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Lip Up Fatty

Shankland will get at least one

😁

In off his belly!!

On a side note I wish I was as fat as shanks!!

Would like us to come out all guns blazing but could also be a flat tricky game after Thursday.

There all bases covered as I dont have a clue

😉

Whatever the line up tomorrow, we need to start like a train right from KO. 

The last 2  fixtures, we've started so slowly, it was almost Neilson-esque! 

We can't keep turning up just for the 2nd half & expect to win games. 

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Surely you wouldn’t ask Calem to play that role initially, he’ll still be finding his feet. Best to have Haring in beside him. 

Probably, yeah, for now. But that 4-1-4-1 IMO was such a great formation for taking a team that decides to sit in and just smashing them. I'm annoyed Robbie never pulled it out again after Zurich.