***Official Heart of Midlothian v Kilmarnock Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Can't bloody wait to see us at home at last this season.

I'll go 2-1 to us, any two of Shankland, Oda, Tagawa or Boyce to score.

Edited by tartofmidlothian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Clark Griswold

• Don Dan

We need to start games better

Clark

Atkinson

Kent 

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Devlin

Oda

Shankland

Lowry

Tagawa

3-1

51 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Atkinson

Kent 

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Devlin

Oda

Shankland

Lowry

Tagawa

3-1

This looks to be our strongest team, however i'm thinking Devlin could do with starting on the bench and give either Nieuwenhof or Denholm a start.

Got to start sharper but we'll have a couple of players back, more match sharpness and a better idea of who has started the season well.

Clark 

Kingsley

Rowles

Kent

Atty

Nieuwenhof (could be Denholm)

Haring

Lowry

Shankland

Oda

Tagawa

10 minutes ago, jamb-oz said:

This looks to be our strongest team, however i'm thinking Devlin could do with starting on the bench and give either Nieuwenhof or Denholm a start.

Nieuwenhof looks like he’s going to take a wee while to get up to speed. Denholm was good last night though. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Nieuwenhof looks like he’s going to take a wee while to get up to speed. Denholm was good last night though. 

I'd like to see him in the CM roles and not that 10 position. He was terrible with his back to goal but when the play was Infront of him he picked a couple of nice passes. 

Killie at home with Haring next to him and plenty of options going forward now available is the place we need to be giving him time to get up to speed.

20 mins here it there (or away in Europe 🤣) isnt going to do players any good getting up to speed. 

1 minute ago, DxB Hearts said:

I'd like to see him in the CM roles and not that 10 position. He was terrible with his back to goal but when the play was Infront of him he picked a couple of nice passes. 

Killie at home with Haring next to him and plenty of options going forward now available is the place we need to be giving him time to get up to speed.

20 mins here it there (or away in Europe 🤣) isnt going to do players any good getting up to speed. 

Aye that’s fair. It’s going to be a wee while before everybody gels I suppose, we do need someone with attacking intent and ability beside Haring. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Aye that’s fair. It’s going to be a wee while before everybody gels I suppose, we do need someone with attacking intent and ability beside Haring. 

It the range of passing for me. We look to stretch teams but neither Haring or Devlin can ping a ball across the park, Nieuwenhof (supposedly) can. 

Killie will sit in much like Rosenborg so we need to be a lot better in finding those spaces, not just knocking it back to Kent/Rowles 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Grant or Denholm start here both done well last night. Killie will be right in our faces and physical so we need to stand up to that. Won’t be an easy game especially after a game last night but hopefully some pace up top gets us the win. Is Vargas in contention even from the bench?

Walter Bishop

Hopefully the Forrest experiment is over.

Clark

Atkinson

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Niewuenhof 

Oda 

Boyce

Lowry

Shankland 

Edited by Walter Bishop

Can’t wait to see the home debut of some of our new lads. I predict a tight game, McInnes will try to stifle the midfield so we will need pace to get in behind, so Oda and Tarawa to be involved in a + 1 score.

AC Mallin_51

Regardless of their result v rangers we SHOULD be good enough to win this comfortably. If we turn up I see a 3+ goal win which would surely get the confidence pumping for Thursday. However if we’re off the pace like we were in the first half yesterday and allow killie to get a foothold of the game then we’re in for a very tricky afternoon 

I will despair if I see Forrest in the starting 11 on Sunday! Surely we are aware he isn't good enough to be a starter in this side. 

They are well decent and it will be a tough game. With the visa 3 being available it gives us a big boost.

getting 3 points is huge and I don’t care if it’s a 1-0 own goal. 
I will go for 2-1 with a Shanks brace just to wind up the hobos on this board

All roads lead to Gorgie

Killie will be tough to break down but once we get the first I fancy us to go on and win well. 4-0, I can see Boyce getting back on the goalscoring trail as he looks to be on a mission, Shanks it's obvious will get a chance and do his thing then I think we are due a midfield goal, I think it will come from a surprise source Cammy. Tagawa will come on and score the 4th.

Oh a big Zander will save a penalty:thumb:

Selkirkhmfc1874
12 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Killie will be tough to break down but once we get the first I fancy us to go on and win well. 4-0, I can see Boyce getting back on the goalscoring trail as he looks to be on a mission, Shanks it's obvious will get a chance and do his thing then I think we are due a midfield goal, I think it will come from a surprise source Cammy. Tagawa will come on and score the 4th.

Oh a big Zander will save a penalty:thumb:

You'll get some odds at the bookies for all that

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

You'll get some odds at the bookies for all that

No I think I will stick to 4-0 but put a wedge on Shanks getting all four 😁

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Clark; Atkinson, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley; Haring, Nieuwenhof, Lowry; Tagawa, Oda, Shankland.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

I will despair if I see Forrest in the starting 11 on Sunday! Surely we are aware he isn't good enough to be a starter in this side. 

I think the management team are probably aware Forrest isn't good enough but with the timing of the new lads he's started out of necessity and you'll always get running out of him. He'll be a bit part player this season if he stays (maybe another minor motivation for him starting, shop window?). 

Team pretty much picks itself as everyone has said except CM. Definitely Haring. But is it Devlin, the Hoff or Grant beside him? I want to say Grant as we'll need creativity but he usually flatters to deceive when he starts and isn't a straight CM. Though with Killie sitting right back as I imagine there will be the opportunity for him to pull the strings in the final third. 

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

He has be given 2 starts...been very poor...if he gets another start I will be raging...Starting a game with 10 men isn't acceptable. 

Killie are probably the most physical team in the league so it will be a battle on Sunday. I’ll go for a hard fought 2-1 win. Shankland and Kent with the goals.

5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Atkinson

Kent 

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Devlin

Oda

Shankland

Lowry

Tagawa

3-1

Yeah that's the team mate.  Can't wait til Bazza is back tbh.  Boyce showed last night once more how important a player he is for us - interesting to see how we work him, Shanks and Tagawa - whether it's any 2 from 3, or if there's a way to get all 3 on the pitch.

Only thing that would change the team above is "legs".  At this point of the season more than any, you're managing legs (I know it seems weird as they should be fresh, but its now you get the pulls and strains as training and friendlies are so different to competitive games).  So with an eye on Thurs, not saying we'll rest anyone, but some thought may go in to it with any niggles, tightness we don't know about.

I think Devlin will be on the bench for this one, with the game last night and another 3 game week there will be some rotation. Haring has to play, showed on Saturday and last night that he is still very good for us. 

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah that's the team mate.  Can't wait til Bazza is back tbh.  Boyce showed last night once more how important a player he is for us - interesting to see how we work him, Shanks and Tagawa - whether it's any 2 from 3, or if there's a way to get all 3 on the pitch.

Only thing that would change the team above is "legs".  At this point of the season more than any, you're managing legs (I know it seems weird as they should be fresh, but its now you get the pulls and strains as training and friendlies are so different to competitive games).  So with an eye on Thurs, not saying we'll rest anyone, but some thought may go in to it with any niggles, tightness we don't know about.

Think he’s been training so hopefully only a couple of weeks away. 

Thursday is the more important game so I’m sure folk will be benched/rested as appropriate. I do think we’ll come out all guns blazing and record a good win on Saturday but another part of me says - this is going to take a wee bit of time. There’s new signings from different leagues and we might stutter a wee bit for the first few weeks. Hopefully our quality will see us through until everything clicks

StirlingJambo

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Haring

Grant       

Boyce

Oda.                              Tagawa

Shankland

Dont need 2 sitting midfielders. Killie will sit back and try soak up pressure winning there battle and getting us on break. Let try push them higher up forcing them on the turn and into mistakes.

16 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Tagawa to start for me.

Will be a massive help for Shankland like Gino was.

And I think he will. We lack something up top with no pace through the middle. He brings a physical presence as well and chases everything going by last week and his highlights. Could be the spark we have been missing. Is Vargas able to play? Don't think we will see him start but might be an option off the bench. 

2 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Clark

Haring

Grant       

Boyce

Shankland

Dont need 2 sitting midfielders. Killie will sit back and try soak up pressure winning there battle and getting us on break. Let try push them higher up forcing them on the turn and into mistakes.

Really like that side, has goals in it that's for sure. 

5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Agreed. However how does he get up to spedd if he doesn't play competative games.

He looks as if the game just passes him by so far. Early days obviously but it would have been nice to have brought someone in who is used to the pace and style of play in our league.

Clarke

Atkinson  Kent  Rowles  Kingsley

Grant  Haring  Lowry

Oda        Shankland  

Tagawa 

Something along this lines with that personnel. I would start Grant ahead of all of Devlin, Hoff and Forrest. Doubt Beni even in the running for this one. Boyce to play significant role off the bench and Vargas to make a goalscoring debut. Won't be easy and we need to be far more motivated and hungry from minute one. 

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

Clarke

Atkinson  Kent  Rowles  Kingsley

Grant  Haring  Lowry

Oda        Shankland  

Tagawa 

Something along this lines with that personnel. I would start Grant ahead of all of Devlin, Hoff and Forrest. Doubt Beni even in the running for this one. Boyce to play significant role off the bench and Vargas to make a goalscoring debut. Won't be easy and we need to be far more motivated and hungry from minute one. 

Don't think it will be far off that. Would like to see Nieuwenhof start though but I agree Devlin and Forrest should definitely be benched. 2 players who shouldn't play that much this season if everyone is fit.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
12 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

Clark

Haring

Grant       

Boyce

Shankland

I wish we would stick with 433 instead of committing so many forwards. Bob regularly sent us out with a light midfield and too many forwards and we (and he) paid the price for that. It was the same in the first half last night and it allowed Rosenburg to run through us. Lowry didn't seem to know where he was supposed to play and was often higher up the pitch than Shanks. We only started to play when Haring and Kingsley came on. That pushed Cochrane forward. If we'd started like that with Devlin in a middle 3, I'm sure it would have been a very different result. Given Cochrane is still suspended, I'd go for:

Clark

Devlin Haring Hoff      

Oda  Shankland  Tagawa

Just now, Chimp said:

Don't think it will be far off that. Would like to see Nieuwenhof start though but I agree Devlin and Forrest should definitely be benched. 2 players who shouldn't play that much this season if everyone is fit.

Yeah I would also like to see Hoff in the team and given a run of games asap however I just felt at Perth he needed a bit of bedding in. Its horses for courses as far as I'm concerned and the midfield combinations haven't worked as yet - early days obviously. Grant contributed more in half an hour last night than any other midfielder not named Haring (and he also came on!) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yeah I would also like to see Hoff in the team and given a run of games asap however I just felt at Perth he needed a bit of bedding in. Its horses for courses as far as I'm concerned and the midfield combinations haven't worked as yet - early days obviously. Grant contributed more in half an hour last night than any other midfielder not named Haring (and he also came on!) so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. 

Yeah unless Hof does turn out to be a great player then I feel we're quite weak at CM. Beni aside, I don't think we have that much quality in there. Still needs that box to box player who can drive forward and create.

I predicted we would win last week but I can't see it on Sunday.  Our discipline, fitness and general overall physical condition will see that we don't win.

Edited by i8hibsh

StirlingJambo
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I wish we would stick with 433 instead of committing so many forwards. Bob regularly sent us out with a light midfield and too many forwards and we (and he) paid the price for that. It was the same in the first half last night and it allowed Rosenburg to run through us. Lowry didn't seem to know where he was supposed to play and was often higher up the pitch than Shanks. We only started to play when Haring and Kingsley came on. That pushed Cochrane forward. If we'd started like that with Devlin in a middle 3, I'm sure it would have been a very different result. Given Cochrane is still suspended, I'd go for:

Clark

Devlin Haring Hoff      

Oda  Shankland  Tagawa

I know where you’re coming from a just don’t see it with Devlin right now. He’s runs out of position a lot during the game and if the opposition get a hold of the ball we’re in trouble. Leaves a massive gap in middle and allows teams for a quick break up the centre of the park.

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yeah unless Hof does turn out to be a great player then I feel we're quite weak at CM. Beni aside, I don't think we have that much quality in there. Still needs that box to box player who can drive forward and create.

Completely agree. My brother was all about that after last nights game. It's the one area that to me, so far, I'm far from convinced we have strengthened. Hoff is still totally unknown of course and could turn out to be anything but the notion that Beni could instantly be relied upon to be anywhere near what he was has been completely smashed now. It's a long way back for him to get to that level. Devlin is incredibly limited, Halliday bit part at best now, Grant has had hugely stop start Hearts career and Kio (God awful signing) now gone. Obviously Lowry has come in but I'm not sure he will ever be a stand alone CM. It's an area to keep an eye on. What would you give for a Cameron or Hartley right now, would be transformative for the team! 

4 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

I know where you’re coming from a just don’t see it with Devlin right now. He’s runs out of position a lot during the game and if the opposition get a hold of the ball we’re in trouble. Leaves a massive gap in middle and allows teams for a quick break up the centre of the park.

One of our most overrated players IMO.

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Completely agree. My brother was all about that after last nights game. It's the one area that to me, so far, I'm far from convinced we have strengthened. Hoff is still totally unknown of course and could turn out to be anything but the notion that Beni could instantly be relied upon to be anywhere near what he was has been completely smashed now. It's a long way back for him to get to that level. Devlin is incredibly limited, Halliday bit part at best now, Grant has had hugely stop start Hearts career and Kio (God awful signing) now gone. Obviously Lowry has come in but I'm not sure he will ever be a stand alone CM. It's an area to keep an eye on. What would you give for a Cameron or Hartley right now, would be transformative for the team! 

Agree with all of that. Yep and we still  haven't had anyone like that since Hartley, and look how long ago that was! Every transfer window I think surely we'll sign someone of that mould yet it never happens.

David McCaig
5 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

Got to start sharper but we'll have a couple of players back, more match sharpness and a better idea of who has started the season well.

Clark 

Kingsley

Rowles

Kent

Atty

Nieuwenhof (could be Denholm)

Haring

Lowry

Shankland

Oda

Tagawa

This is the team I would go for, with Vargas hopefully getting a good 15/20 minutes from the bench and Boyce hopefully getting half an hour.

Jack Torrance
9 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I predicted we would win last week but I can't see it on Sunday.  Our discipline, fitness and general overall physical condition will see that we don't win.

I reckon last night will have sharpened us up and the right rest will see us in a good place. combined with a couple coming in fresh should give us enough to win on Sunday. 

Might need to rest Shanks though. He'll have indigestion or something  😁

Here is some pretty grim reading:

Our head to head in the league in the past 35 games going back 13 years.

2023   1 April   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 1
2022   17 December   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 3 Kilmarnock 1
2022   9 October   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 2
2020   5 February   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 2 Kilmarnock 3
2019   23 November   Premier League Kilmarnock 3 Heart of Midlothian 0
2019   5 October   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 1
2019   4 May   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 1
2019   1 February   Premier League Kilmarnock 1 Heart of Midlothian 2
2018   10 November   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 1
2018   25 August   Premier League Kilmarnock 0 Heart of Midlothian 1
2018   13 May   Premier League Kilmarnock 1 Heart of Midlothian 0
2018   27 February   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 1
2017   5 November   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 2
2017   12 August   Premier League Kilmarnock 0 Heart of Midlothian 1
2017   14 April   Premier League Kilmarnock 0 Heart of Midlothian 0
2016   27 December   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 4 Kilmarnock 0
2016   26 October   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 0
2016   27 February   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 0
2016   2 January   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 2
2015   3 October   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 1
2014   4 May   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 5 Kilmarnock 0
2014   8 March   Premier League Kilmarnock 4 Heart of Midlothian 2
2013   26 December   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 4
2013   26 October   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 0
2013   20 April   Premier League Kilmarnock 0 Heart of Midlothian 1
2013   16 February   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 3
2012   26 December   Premier League Kilmarnock 1 Heart of Midlothian 0
2012   29 September   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 3
2012   11 February   Premier League Kilmarnock 1 Heart of Midlothian 1
2011   29 October   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 1
2011   21 August   Premier League Kilmarnock 0 Heart of Midlothian 0
2011   30 April   Premier League Kilmarnock 2 Heart of Midlothian 2
2011   5 March   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 0 Kilmarnock 2
2011 18 January   Premier League Kilmarnock 1 Heart of Midlothian 2
2010 31 October   Premier League Heart of Midlothian 1 Kilmarnock 0

P 35
W 10
D 8
L 17
F 37
A 48
Edited by i8hibsh

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Can't bloody wait to see us at home at last this season.

I'll go 2-1 to us, any two of Shankland, Oda, Tagawa or Boyce to score.

I just want a performance to show the seed of a style that we can carry, with confidence, into next Thu.

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Clark

Atkinson

Kent 

Rowles

Kingsley

Haring

Devlin

Oda

Shankland

Lowry

Tagawa

3-1

Not sure Devlins performance last night keeps other out.