***Official Heart of Midlothian v Kilmarnock Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

BackOfTheNet

I’m less confident now than I was before Thursday (not that we were terrible or anything, just a loss takes the wind out of you). Hoping we don’t have a hangover from a European trip, as Kilmarnock will be right up for this and we’ll undoubtedly have one eye on the tie on Thursday. But a great opportunity to get right back on track, hopefully it goes to plan.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• Clark Griswold

• Don Dan

JamboJoker98
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Midfield doesn’t work. Grant simply can’t play in a two man midfield.  

No, it's not ideal. If we play Devlin & Haring I think we'd be too ponderous , slow and lacking penetration . Although we can grind it out like lat weekend I suppose! I think it's a bit soon for Hoff though, think Naismith said he was more one for the future.

17 minutes ago, JamboJoker98 said:

Would take a 1-0 right now. McInnes has them well organised, combatative, sitting deep and will be on a high after last weeks result. Don't think this will be a walk in the park. Expect us to have a lot of the ball and we consistently have trouble breaking defensive lines. Our problem isn't necessarily Shankland up top it's more supporting him, progressing the ball forward and tempo in transition is incredibly slow. Pace in the wide areas helps however.

Not sure on starting Hoff for this one, struggled to get involved last week and if anything tomorrow will be more of a midfield battle. However, after mid-week I think Haring has played himself in and Devlin out - especially when we need a bit more spark in the middle so I wouldn't be surprised to see Grant.

Tagawa starts for fresh legs. Boyce to come on late on to save him for more involvement Rosenborg

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley

Haring   Grant

Oda         Shanks      Lowrie

Tagawa

Agree with this. Will be a tough game.

A 1-0 win, esp in light of Sevco's failure, will suffice for me.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

Play pish for an hour before getting our act together?

I'll take it, as long as we win :lol:

Clean sheet, tire the home team out, score 2 goals and leave.

Dominate possession, chances and clean sheet. 

Take that at every ground.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

14 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

About time we saw glimpses of just why Hoff was scouted and signed.

About time? He's played one hour of competitive football for us, out of position, and one friendly against Leeds.

I'd definitely like to see him alongside Haring here. See how ready he is to start against Rosenborg.

Just now, DC_92 said:

About time? He's played one hour of competitive football for us, out of position, and one friendly against Leeds.

I'd definitely like to see him alongside Haring here. See how ready he is to start against Rosenborg.

I wasn't having a dig at the lad, I think he will be a decent signing. I just want him to show the doubters something. He needs games to get up to speed and should start. Praying we see something from him on Sunday that leads to more positive comments on here. 

This will be a very tough game. Any win will do, don’t care how the performance is, it’s all about getting early points in the board.

kingantti1874

I’d go for central mid nieuwenhof and Haring.  Play the hof in his favoured position.  

this will be a tough horrible game, Killie will come be organised and strong, sit deep and hit on the break. Patience will be required and absolutely vital that we score first.  

zander

natty

kent

rowles

kingsley

haring

hoff

lowry

Boyce

oda 

tagawa.

shanks off the bench. 

Boyce deserves a start.  We need to keep players fresh for Rosenborg. 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’d go for central mid nieuwenhof and Haring.  Play the hof in his favoured position.  

this will be a tough horrible game, Killie will come be organised and strong, sit deep and hit on the break. Patience will be required and absolutely vital that we score first.  

zander

natty

kent

rowles

kingsley

haring

hoff

lowry

Boyce

oda 

tagawa.

shanks off the bench. 

No chance Shankland doesn’t play. He’s captain and our main goal threat. He will be playing IMO. 

kingantti1874
Just now, PapaShango said:

No chance Shankland doesn’t play. He’s captain and our main goal threat. He will be playing IMO. 

I think you are right.  

But I don’t like the Boyce / Shankland combo and I’d personally prefer to keep him fit for Thursday.  

+ Boyce has been excellent so far

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

CLARK

KENT                        ROWLES/SIBBICK

ATKINSON                                  KINGSLEY

HARING

CALEM                 GRANT

ODA            FATTY

TAGAWA

Subs:  McGovern, Sibbick/Rowles, Devlin, Beni, Denholm, Forrest, Lowry, Boyce, Vargas

Tin hat on but I'd give Grant a run.  This is the sort of game he should be shining in; unlocking a tight defence while we have pace in the side to pick up.  If he can't be that player, we might as well find out now.  Plus we have Lowry to come on and make a difference, especially if it doesn't go Grant's way.

I think Rowles could do with a kick, and Toby deserves a chance.  There isn't much between them.

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

zander

natty

kent

rowles

kingsley

haring

hoff

lowry

Boyce

oda 

tagawa.

shanks off the bench. 

😂 Thought I’d read you dropped our top scorer for a minute. 

5 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

CLARK

KENT                        ROWLES/SIBBICK

ATKINSON                                  KINGSLEY

HARING

CALEM                 GRANT

ODA            FATTY

TAGAWA

Subs:  McGovern, Sibbick/Rowles, Devlin, Beni, Denholm, Forrest, Lowry, Boyce, Vargas

Tin hat on but I'd give Grant a run.  This is the sort of game he should be shining in; unlocking a tight defence while we have pace in the side to pick up.  If he can't be that player, we might as well find out now.  Plus we have Lowry to come on and make a difference, especially if it doesn't go Grant's way.

I think Rowles could do with a kick, and Toby deserves a chance.  There isn't much between them.

I picked Lowry to start, but it was a toss up between him and Grant. Up against a team like Kilmarnock you may be right. Lowry would possibly be better introduced with fresh legs later. I think Grant has a lot to prove amid all these new signings, we might just see a positive reaction. 

I want to be confident I really do but these Sunday games sandwiched inbetween Euro games are a struggle. Throw in our abysmal home record v Killie and of course our poor discipline I feel a win is unlikely.

I don't want to single Devlin out as we have many players that give me the fear but everytime I see Devlin on the team sheet I fear a red card. Never known such a stupid footballer in all my life.

32 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I wasn't having a dig at the lad, I think he will be a decent signing. I just want him to show the doubters something. He needs games to get up to speed and should start. Praying we see something from him on Sunday that leads to more positive comments on here. 

Fair enough. We definitely need something a bit different in midfield so hopefully he lives up to expectations.

kingantti1874

Just put 2 seats together upon E-tickets. Was hoping it would piss down tomorrow so I do t have to take my car daft son to knockhill but here we are 😫

I’d go with pace on both wings got to give Vargas a run before Rosenborg to see what he is like 

Clark

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley 

Haring Devlin

Oda Shankland Vargas

Tagawa

25 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I want to be confident I really do but these Sunday games sandwiched inbetween Euro games are a struggle. Throw in our abysmal home record v Killie and of course our poor discipline I feel a win is unlikely.

I don't want to single Devlin out as we have many players that give me the fear but everytime I see Devlin on the team sheet I fear a red card. Never known such a stupid footballer in all my life.

He’s had 1 red card in 2 years playing for hearts? 

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Interestingly our record last season after a European match was as follows (a mixed bag); 

We followed up a 2-1 defeat in Zurich with a 2-0 defeat at Parkhead (Cochrane sent off in this match).

We followed up a 0-1 defeat to Zurich at home (Grant sent off) with a 3-2 win over St Johnstone at home. 

We followed up a 0-2 win at RFS with a 0-3 win At Motherwell.

We followed up a 0-3 defeat at home to Fiorentina with a 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock.

We followed up a 5-1 defeat at Fiorentina with a 2-0 defeat at Aberdeen.

We followed up a 2-1 win over RFS with a 1-2 win at Ross County.

We followed up a 3-1 defeat at Istanbul with a 3-2 win Over Motherwell at home (Snodgrass sent off). 

nb - we didn’t have a league match after 0-4 defeat to Istanbul at home.

So our domestic record after Euro matches last season was;

4 wins 

1 draw 

2 defeats (at Pittodrie and Parkhead)

Plus, tomorrow is our first home game of the season. The players will be chomping at the bit and we have our new signings to come into contention.

Tough match as usual v Kilmarnock. But given the above & following us ‘breaking the curse’ last season in the 3-1 home win, I hope and expect for more of the same tomorrow 😎

No Idle Talk

I can't see this being anything other than tight. You know what it's like when you play a Derek McInnes team. 

Hoping we can get the win but a 1-1 draw would not surprise me. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Interestingly our record last season after a European match was as follows (a mixed bag); 

We followed up a 2-1 defeat in Zurich with a 2-0 defeat at Parkhead (Cochrane sent off in this match).

We followed up a 0-1 defeat to Zurich at home (Grant sent off) with a 3-2 win over St Johnstone at home. 

We followed up a 0-2 win at RFS with a 0-3 win At Motherwell.

We followed up a 0-3 defeat at home to Fiorentina with a 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock.

We followed up a 5-1 defeat at Fiorentina with a 2-0 defeat at Aberdeen.

We followed up a 2-1 win over RFS with a 1-2 win at Ross County.

We followed up a 3-1 defeat at Istanbul with a 3-2 win Over Motherwell at home (Snodgrass sent off). 

nb - we didn’t have a league match after 0-4 defeat to Istanbul at home.

So our domestic record after Euro matches last season was;

4 wins 

1 draw 

2 defeats (at Pittodrie and Parkhead)

Plus, tomorrow is our first home game of the season. The players will be chomping at the bit and we have our new signings to come into contention.

Tough match as usual v Kilmarnock. But given the above & following us ‘breaking the curse’ last season in the 3-1 home win, I hope and expect for more of the same tomorrow 😎

Pesky facts get in the way of a good doomsday narrative tho.

Add in the fact we won our most recent home game v Killie, their recent poor away form and as pointed out- Devlins 1 red card in 2 years it's safe to say I8's whole post was a load of made up negative horse shite from start to finish. 

Who'd have funk it?

Edited by Bazzas right boot

56 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I think you are right.  

But I don’t like the Boyce / Shankland combo and I’d personally prefer to keep him fit for Thursday.  

+ Boyce has been excellent so far

The Boyce + Shankland combination is exacty what we need for this.   We don't need pace.

Shankland on the bench, that made me laugh 😂 

14 minutes ago, RDSK said:

and got one yellow card every 5 games last season - exactly the same as Beni’s record pre-injury. 

And most of these are necessary tactical fouls to help the team. Very few are for OTT aggression. 

19 minutes ago, RDSK said:

That is not argued. I am saying he gives me the fear. 

Edited by i8hibsh

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m less confident now than I was before Thursday (not that we were terrible or anything, just a loss takes the wind out of you). Hoping we don’t have a hangover from a European trip, as Kilmarnock will be right up for this and we’ll undoubtedly have one eye on the tie on Thursday. But a great opportunity to get right back on track, hopefully it goes to plan.

I’m hoping that the manner of the loss (losing to a team that we clearly should have beat) provokes a response. If it doesn’t, we should have concerns. 

1 hour ago, JamboJoker98 said:

No, it's not ideal. If we play Devlin & Haring I think we'd be too ponderous , slow and lacking penetration . Although we can grind it out like lat weekend I suppose! I think it's a bit soon for Hoff though, think Naismith said he was more one for the future.

Depends. If we play those 2, we have 4 forwards and 2 very attacking FBs on the park. The CM job is to not let them out and feed the ball to these 6 guys.

Not sure its an issue personally.

12 minutes ago, OTT said:

I’m hoping that the manner of the loss (losing to a team that we clearly should have beat) provokes a response. If it doesn’t, we should have concerns. 

Don't worry if we don't win then Frankie will take the responsibilty. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

How many yellow cards did he get last season? How many of those few were unjust.

You just make shit up

Some of the comments on here about Shankland are either from complete air heads or hibs fans. Simple as that. Guy's a goal machine and we should enjoy every minute he remains here.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

How many yellow cards did he get last season? How many of those few were unjust.

You just make shit up

And that is NOT made up! 

10 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You just make shit up

As well as a fetish for stealing ladies underwear, he also has a thing for replies. In particular the red notification tab top right. 

Very strange individual. Only posts the stuff he does to get replies.

Stick him on ignore like the majority already have.

15 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Some of the comments on here about Shankland are either from complete air heads or hibs fans. Simple as that. Guy's a goal machine and we should enjoy every minute he remains here.

He is a liability in my eyes. 

We have to start better, could be a tough grind, harring and hof midfield for me, tagawa and oda to run at them, shanks with another goal, let’s go hhgh.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

We won out last game at home v Kilmarnock . 

Kilmarnock arrive McInnes out wits the HMFC collective managerial brains trust and they leave with the three  points and the Kickbackers start a managerial brains trust oot thread ?

AllyjamboDerbyshire
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

He is a liability in my eyes. 

Which probably explains why you judge him with your eyes closed plus he's always liable to score against the Hibs.

It's going to be horses for courses this season I suspect and we know that Killie will try to out muscle us. 

On that basis we need to start with a more physical presence.

Clark

Natty Kent Rowles Kingsley

Haring Halliday

Oda     Shankland    Boyce

Tagawa

Natty and Kingsley to attack down the flanks with Haring and Halliday dropping in to cover.

Plenty of quality (albeit yet unproven) to come on in Hoff, Lowry, Vargas. Also Sibbick, Devlin, Grant and Forrest.

Captain Canada
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

zander

natty

kent

rowles

kingsley

haring

hoff

lowry

Boyce

oda 

tagawa.

shanks off the bench. 

This would be my team, too. 

It would be great to be a couple of goals up with half an hour to go, so we can freshen things up. 

I'm expecting a tough game as usual against them, though. 

Below shows where Killie intercepted, cleared the ball and won their headers v Sevco. Also Shows the average position of their players. 

Looks like classic low block with the opposition left back being targeted with long balls out of defence. 

Looks like at least 8 six foot plus players took the field as well. Even their few smaller players are 5’9/5’10. 

Like others have said, we know what we’re getting. They will be direct, physical and happy to sit in and block. 

We are going to need to be patient. Move their big lads around a lot and wear them out. Switch play, recycle from side to side and work overloads. Oda and Nat running their fullback and taking a player out of the game will be important. Be nice to see a mobile and fluid front three around Shanks. Be good to see Lowry playing some through balls to turn their big huddies, especially if we can get a goal up and force them out. 

Will need a plan to protect Rowles if he starts. Possibly a good game to be forced into having Kingsley at LB. He is excellent in the air for a fullback. Him and Kent will need to give Kye handers. McInnes will definitely target him. (Could be a good game for Toby if the L/R foot Cb pairing is not seen as too critical). Big Pete deployed in front of him would also help. Would 100% be starting Cammy as well - get him right on their midfield and defence and hurry the long passes. 

As others have said, an early goal opens it up for us. If not, patience will be required. Out-work them and win it with the bench in the last hour. 

IMG_9018.jpeg

IMG_9016.jpeg

IMG_9017.jpeg

IMG_9015.jpeg

Edited by CMc

No Idle Talk
1 hour ago, HMFC01 said:

The Boyce + Shankland combination is exacty what we need for this.   We don't need pace.

Shankland on the bench, that made me laugh 😂 

We absolutely do need pace. Surely the last two matches have demonstrated that. 

56 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Benching shankland. Bonkers.

Tossers and Hibs fans are the only ones who want shanks benched.  Also the fat thing was funny for a few secs but players are just human like us and online crap like that could get to him you never know how he would react mentally to nonsense online. Can we please give it a rest thanks 😍

1 minute ago, No Idle Talk said:

We absolutely do need pace. Surely the last two matches have demonstrated that. 

Depends on the opposition. A team with a high line, likely to push up, press etc - using pace against them would really help break lines, create chances etc.

A team like Kilmarnock are likely to sit in and try and hit us on the counter or take opportunities from set pieces. 

If they do this, we will need guile and intelligence to break them down, more than pace. If the game starts to open up, stretch - that’s when to utilise pace. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 hours ago, RDSK said:

Yep it's a complete myth he picks up red cards, yellows yes.